Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

07-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #23
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Yes the car pulls like crazy

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #24
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
[QUOTE=Tracus;16363965]Why the argument? His statement makes sense, and yes for many it is important to be practical and fast not just fast. Who cares I have a roof, why not just buy a bike, when you drive that fast?

What stops you? Sell the bimmer and buy the Porsche. Life is too short to live in compromise...[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. I cant disagree.

His statemnt makes sense and doesn't. You cant sit there and pick apart a car becase it doesnt work for YOU. If you know what I mean. Doesnt mean its not a fantastic car becasue back seats arent present.
The original statement was "hey look at what this car can do with 100 less hp". But yes in the end the Cayman isnt for everyone. Neither is the M4. Honestly the Cayman has some faults IMO, PRICE is the biggest concern. Why is this car priced so upmarket out of its competition. Yes its a Porsche but its hurting it. Huge mistake in Porsche's marketing. I spoke to a local P dealer and he said these cars sit on the lot on average of 4 months, yikes.

Regardless of those faults, I dont think anyne considering a Z4, cayman/boxter, corvette, or perhaps a Ferrari, and up is worried about back seats in the 1st place. If this were the issue yes I would be getting M4 or Panamara or S4 etc....

I cant buy another BMW this big...just doesnt work for me. Ill wait for the upcoming M2. Much better fit.

Last edited by Jadar; 07-27-2014 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 11:11 PM   #25
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3 View Post
Yea really amazing with 100 HP less, two door less, two seats less, one trunk less, and infinite utility less.

Not so amazing anymore, is it.

Technically the Cayman has two trunks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #26
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

As someone who has had a 135i, a 335i and now a Cayman, I'll chime in at my peril. The BMWs were certainly quick. I have no doubt the new turbo powered M cars are faster than even the new Cayman GTS. Sound is a matter of personal preference. As for the corners...the Cayman probably wins hands down. These things are built to go around corners. That's what makes them so great...it's also, however, what can make them so boring.

The BMWs always felt like they were being pushed. But it was also as if they loved it...thrashing them was like a game. Like playing fetch with your dog. You have to tell him when it's time to quit; he's so eager to please he'll keep going even when he can't, just to make you happy.

The Porsche's not like that. It's cold and mechanical. Going around the corner is simply business. It irons them out like pressed (insert party of evil dictator here) uniforms. It's just so predictable and orderly.

Personally, I miss the playful pup.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #27
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbkonis View Post
When you pass in Europe you put your left blinker on even if you're in the left lane. It's indicating your intention to pass.

Also, he's flashing his brights to let the cars in front of him know he's coming. It's a good idea at that speed as someone drifting in your lane is less than desirable.
There are 50 countries in Europe, all with different laws and driver behaviors... So no, you don't do this "in Europe".
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 12:13 AM   #28
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

The problem with the Cayman comparison is that if you don't need the space or practicality there are some other serious competitors out there. Not so sure that too many people really cross shop them.

The biggest problem for the Cayman is that it is a Porsche but not a 911. I couldn't live with that.

As a drivers car without the need for practicality the one of the 997 GT3s is the way to go.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2014, 12:17 AM   #29
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey81 View Post
The problem with the Cayman comparison is that if you don't need the space or practicality there are some other serious competitors out there. Not so sure that too many people really cross shop them.

The biggest problem for the Cayman is that it is a Porsche but not a 911. I couldn't live with that.

As a drivers car without the need for practicality the one of the 997 GT3s is the way to go.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:09 AM   #30
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Really that's your argument against the cayman in a comparison if the 2 cars 0-280kph sprint? I mean as great as the M4 is, why is the comparison about practicality in this mix when you're doing a blast to 160-170mph? Who cares how many suitcases I can fit into the car when I'm doing that type of driving, or how many bodies fit in the back seat.

For the record the cayman has the same amount of doors as the M4, actually 1 more trunk over the M4. Better driving dynamics (particularly the steering feel), mid engine most importantly WAAAAY BETTER ENGINE note and to boot yes, yes it is amazing that it 2900lbs down 100hp and down 130lbs of tq is putting down comparable numbers although slightly slower.

I'll take the 981 cayman s every time. Until I have 2 or 3 kids running around I'll worry about the back seat. And even then a coupe is totally irrelevant because you're going to want a saloon/sedan ala M3...

Carry on.
The Cayman is a great sportscar, nobody denied that, it's a fact!
Now, the M3/4 is a sportscar, but is also a great comfortable daily driver, with 2 kids in the back.
Now, how would that be with the Porsche?
So, the M is usuable to many things, the Cayman is a sportscar, period, a bloddy good one at that, but "only" a sportscar.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:31 AM   #31
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Engine oil temperature was most interesting to me, an n54 would be +15c degrees higher easily at that loads.

Hamann Anniversary EVO 19'' wheels for sale : http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270728
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 03:20 AM   #32
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy
Quote:
Really that's your argument against the cayman in a comparison if the 2 cars 0-280kph sprint? I mean as great as the M4 is, why is the comparison about practicality in this mix when you're doing a blast to 160-170mph? Who cares how many suitcases I can fit into the car when I'm doing that type of driving, or how many bodies fit in the back seat.

For the record the cayman has the same amount of doors as the M4, actually 1 more trunk over the M4. Better driving dynamics (particularly the steering feel), mid engine most importantly WAAAAY BETTER ENGINE note and to boot yes, yes it is amazing that it 2900lbs down 100hp and down 130lbs of tq is putting down comparable numbers although slightly slower.

I'll take the 981 cayman s every time. Until I have 2 or 3 kids running around I'll worry about the back seat. And even then a coupe is totally irrelevant because you're going to want a saloon/sedan ala M3...

Carry on.
The Cayman is a great sportscar, nobody denied that, it's a fact!
Now, the M3/4 is a sportscar, but is also a great comfortable daily driver, with 2 kids in the back.
Now, how would that be with the Porsche?
So, the M is usuable to many things, the Cayman is a sportscar, period, a bloddy good one at that, but "only" a sportscar.
I can't disagree at all. When making the practicality case M4 wins every time. This new M4 is undeniably a sick car that is more capable then ever.

Until I have the use for a back seat when the kids come one day I have to put out the fire...the Porsche bug has bitten and must be cured haha.
      07-28-2014, 04:19 AM   #33
Topspeed
fast enough
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Cayman, GTR, M235, Boxster S,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I believe all F8x cars are limited to 275 kph. Unless they have the driver's package code (downloaded at a dealer, once you go thru a BMW driver's school) to up the V-max.

IF you account for a 5% speedo(over correction error) this 291 kph is really 276 kph(GPS). Just what BMW limits the cars to.

A friend of mine has coded his M4 to a 320 V-max... but so far he has not found an empty enough autobahn to "test" his new V-max.
Why does BMW state on their website that the M4 has a top speed of 250? I asked by local BMW dealership and they too stated that top speed was 250. Where did the 275 limiter come from?

Also, how did you come up with 5% correction?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 05:34 AM   #34
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspeed View Post
Why does BMW state on their website that the M4 has a top speed of 250? I asked by local BMW dealership and they too stated that top speed was 250. Where did the 275 limiter come from?

I said why in "#12" ,so i'll repait ---> The car has "///M Drivers Pack" !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 07:14 AM   #35
AustinYellowMakesMeHard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
As someone who has had a 135i, a 335i and now a Cayman, I'll chime in at my peril. The BMWs were certainly quick. I have no doubt the new turbo powered M cars are faster than even the new Cayman GTS. Sound is a matter of personal preference. As for the corners...the Cayman probably wins hands down. These things are built to go around corners. That's what makes them so great...it's also, however, what can make them so boring.

The BMWs always felt like they were being pushed. But it was also as if they loved it...thrashing them was like a game. Like playing fetch with your dog. You have to tell him when it's time to quit; he's so eager to please he'll keep going even when he can't, just to make you happy.

The Porsche's not like that. It's cold and mechanical. Going around the corner is simply business. It irons them out like pressed (insert party of evil dictator here) uniforms. It's just so predictable and orderly.

Personally, I miss the playful pup.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 07:59 AM   #36
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 Sedan

I can confirm, M4 is very fast....
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #37
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspeed View Post

He just got the average to have a good estimation.
Error can be up to +10% +2.4 mph!
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #38
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
There are 50 countries in Europe, all with different laws and driver behaviors... So no, you don't do this "in Europe".
You mean it's not a country like Africa?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #39
serieD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1199 Panigale S

Quote:

For the record the cayman has the same amount of doors as the M4, actually 1 more trunk over the M4. Better driving dynamics (particularly the steering feel), mid engine most importantly WAAAAY BETTER ENGINE note and to boot yes, yes *it is amazing that it 2900lbs down 100hp and down 130lbs of tq is putting down comparable numbers although slightly slower.

**I'll take the 981 cayman s every time. Until I have 2 or 3 kids running around I'll worry about the back seat. And even then a coupe is totally irrelevant because you're going to want a saloon/sedan ala M3...

Carry on.
-1, actually -2 for unnecessary hostility

*Not sure what you're saying here but if I interpret it to the best of my abilities it's something like;
even though the 981 is 600 pounds lighter, costs a decent amount more (if optioned similarly) than an F8x, and is only designed to be one thing all the time, that it's amazing it's putting up SLOWER numbers than the car that can do all of it at once and actually look like a man's car.
Ha.Ha.

**Great! Take the cayman S! It's a great car. No one ever denied that. But I am in my 20's, with no kids and I pick the M4. Because it is totally relevant. It's one of the most versatile sports cars on the road and the fact the M4 is the one beating the Porsche is what should be the headline. Not the Cayman S being "slightly" slower but yet somehow receiving praise. Power/weight, if the car is light you don't need to overload it with power. Especially when the real Porsche, the 911, is right there to keep you humble.

I was going to get the Cayman S but I just couldn't fall in love with it. It was just so dry and boring. Fun to drive yes, but I need to have a connection to the car much like how I do with my Panigale. It has to go beyond just how the car feels and the Cayman couldn't deliver on that.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:36 AM   #40
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
Compare;

0-100 ~ 4,0 seconds
0-200 ~ 14 seconds
0-250 ~ 25.5 seconds

I would say this is just amazing given 100 HP less......
Yea really amazing with 100 HP less, two door less, two seats less, one trunk less, and infinite utility less.

Not so amazing anymore, is it.
and no turdbos LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #41
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

lol at m4 is a sports car.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #42
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by serieD View Post
-1, actually -2 for unnecessary hostility

*Not sure what you're saying here but if I interpret it to the best of my abilities it's something like;
even though the 981 is 600 pounds lighter, costs a decent amount more (if optioned similarly) than an F8x, and is only designed to be one thing all the time, that it's amazing it's putting up SLOWER numbers than the car that can do all of it at once and actually look like a man's car.
Ha.Ha.

**Great! Take the cayman S! It's a great car. No one ever denied that. But I am in my 20's, with no kids and I pick the M4. Because it is totally relevant. It's one of the most versatile sports cars on the road and the fact the M4 is the one beating the Porsche is what should be the headline. Not the Cayman S being "slightly" slower but yet somehow receiving praise. Power/weight, if the car is light you don't need to overload it with power. Especially when the real Porsche, the 911, is right there to keep you humble.

I was going to get the Cayman S but I just couldn't fall in love with it. It was just so dry and boring. Fun to drive yes, but I need to have a connection to the car much like how I do with my Panigale. It has to go beyond just how the car feels and the Cayman couldn't deliver on that.
No, no hostility at all. I'm totally not like that so you gotta take away that -2 . I'll keep the -1 for a good countering point.

I just wanted to make a case that it's not fair that a 2 seater car always gets pummeld automatically for only it's practicality reasons. I just think it's a good car especially after some seat time in it.

But regardless yes back on topic the headline is the M4 and it's brilliant! It's certainly an animal in it's own rights and I think now a more complete M3/4 car then ever. Especially when opted with ccb's.

Also your last paragraph sums it up perfectly. If you're not "in love" with the car no matter what it is, it would be just settling. And who wants to just settle. Especially if the car felt anemic to you.

So in conclusion I love BMW's obviously as like most on here I've had multiple. I would rock an M4/3 in a hot second, I just have to scratch my Porsche itch, and one thing I'm waiting on is the M2 to see what that car will deliver and get solid info to see exactly what performance the car will be capable of. I've said it before I'll say it again, it's small enough for my taste and it could keep me away from the 981 cs .

Also in truth I enjoy the full BMW experience my dealership is fantastic. The cars are brilliant. And BMW's total package to me is way better especially the ED PROGRAM as a whole. So I'm not an enemy lol.
      07-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #43
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Look what is happening here, that was not the intention of my posted Cayman comparison !! Nor want to insult anybody, but to my disappointment some are indeed.

Yes I know an M3-4 are fantastic cars, I have owned an E46 M3, an E92 M3 and now an E82 1M and of course a HP4 Competition motorcycle. I know M cars I can assure you.

There is no doubt what so ever the F8X M`s are fast, mean looking, but IMHO they have outgrown themselves, that is just the only, I repeat ONLY, reason not to buy one, just too big for me.

I have bought a Cayman GTS, the 1M will stay.

The only thing I wanted to show was what small, lighter and agile means, although a lot of HP less, not to mention the torque deficit, the Cayman can hold its candle very well, even against an M3-4, with a great sound also.

So with all due respect, lets just enjoy all these fantastic cars, no need to be rude or disrespectful, these are the the very best cars German engineering has to offer, be grateful you have the ability to drive one, which one doesn`t matter, some love the mothers, some love the daughters........

Can`t go wrong with either, just a matter of personal taste and preference !
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #44
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
IMHO they have outgrown themselves
I agree, the M3/4 is too big, but the weird thing is everything else seems too small. I did consider the Z4 and the Boxster (and the SLK55 sort of) but I just couldn't get over the smallness ... and the boxster actually isn't that small!

But then when I look at the M4 it seems way too big. #firstworldproblem
Appreciate 0