ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-11-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
Thrak
Private
Rep
Drives: YMB/SO M4

A couple of CarPlay/Wifi questions

I'm placing an order for a new M3 to replace my M4 with a lease ending in May, and I had a couple of questions regarding CarPlay and Wifi/wireless charging. I don't know that I really need either of them, but was thinking of potentially one or both.

1. If CarPlay is active, I believe I read that you can't play music via a USB source, as essentially it's either CarPlay or iDrive? Most of the time I play music via a USB hard drive in the console armrest, but I do keep newer music on my phone before moving it to the HD.

2. I heard that CarPlay uses a combination of Bluetooth and Wifi to connect, so if I don't get the Wifi/wireless charging, would I still be able to use CarPlay wirelessly, or would I have to plug the phone in, thus making me have to unplug the HD and essentially never using it.

3. If I do end up getting CarPlay, it can be disabled in iDrive, correct? So if I find out I really don't like it, I'm not stuck with it popping up here and there whenever I try to play music over bluetooth, get a text, etc?

4. Finally, I know the wifi/wireless adds a USB port under the AC controls, but without it, I'll still have the functional one in the armrest, correct? That's really all I need for my HD. I don't generally need to charge the phone in the car, so missing out on the charging and the second port isn't a big deal, and I wouldn't ever use the Wifi data.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 06:45 PM   #2
JDougM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

1. You are correct. CarPlay OR iDrive Media can be active but not both.
2. Yes. CarPlay will function wirelessly regardless of wireless charging option.
3. Yes, it can be disabled. But understand that if you don't opt for wireless charging, then you are also opting not to have enhanced bluetooth function which is required for iDrive's office functions to work (messages).*
4. Yes. USB port under armrest remains without wifi/wireless.

*I didn't order wireless charging (put my CCW under the armrest and didn't like the idea of giving up that space for a wireless charging pad) but did add the enhanced bluetooth functionality via coding after delivery. So I have the benefit of iDrive office and CarPlay but not the ugly second USB port on the center stack nor the wireless charging pad taking up the armrest space.
Appreciate 2
Thrak8.00
RickFLM410974.50
      03-11-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
Thrak
Private
Rep
Drives: YMB/SO M4

Thanks for the confirmation. I can honestly say that in the three years of having my current car, I haven't had a desire to have my messages on iDrive, but nice to know I can still code it in with the new car if I choose.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDougM3 View Post
1. You are correct. CarPlay OR iDrive Media can be active but not both.
2. Yes. CarPlay will function wirelessly regardless of wireless charging option.
3. Yes, it can be disabled. But understand that if you don't opt for wireless charging, then you are also opting not to have enhanced bluetooth function which is required for iDrive's office functions to work (messages).*
4. Yes. USB port under armrest remains without wifi/wireless.

*I didn't order wireless charging (put my CCW under the armrest and didn't like the idea of giving up that space for a wireless charging pad) but did add the enhanced bluetooth functionality via coding after delivery. So I have the benefit of iDrive office and CarPlay but not the ugly second USB port on the center stack nor the wireless charging pad taking up the armrest space.
With respect to #3 - can you get wireless charging with enhanced BT without CarPlay? In my 2015 I can see messages in iDrive and would like to retain this functionality but don’t really want CarPlay. Thx.
      03-17-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
JDougM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
With respect to #3 - can you get wireless charging with enhanced BT without CarPlay? In my 2015 I can see messages in iDrive and would like to retain this functionality but don’t really want CarPlay. Thx.
You can. They are independent options (Wireless charging and WiFi hotspot for $500/Apple CarPlay compatibility for $300).
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410974.50
      03-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #6
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
With respect to #3 - can you get wireless charging with enhanced BT without CarPlay? In my 2015 I can see messages in iDrive and would like to retain this functionality but donÂ’t really want CarPlay. Thx.
You can. They are independent options (Wireless charging and WiFi hotspot for $500/Apple CarPlay compatibility for $300).
Ok thanks. Does the wireless charging / wi if hotspot require a subscription just to see text messages in iDrive? Currently in my 2015, I can see text messages with no separate data subscription, other than my phone.
      03-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #7
JDougM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
With respect to #3 - can you get wireless charging with enhanced BT without CarPlay? In my 2015 I can see messages in iDrive and would like to retain this functionality but donÂÂ’t really want CarPlay. Thx.
Ok thanks. Does the wireless charging / wi if hotspot require a subscription just to see text messages in iDrive? Currently in my 2015, I can see text messages with no separate data subscription, other than my phone.
No subscription necessary. I just didn't realize when I spec'ed my car that "Enhanced Bluetooth" was a part of the Wireless/WiFi option and necessary to receive texts via iDrive. If you add that option, you'll have the same functionality you do now with the option to pay for a monthly hotspot.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410974.50
      03-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #8
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
With respect to #3 - can you get wireless charging with enhanced BT without CarPlay? In my 2015 I can see messages in iDrive and would like to retain this functionality but donÂÂÂ’t really want CarPlay. Thx.
No subscription necessary. I just didn't realize when I spec'ed my car that "Enhanced Bluetooth" was a part of the Wireless/WiFi option and necessary to receive texts via iDrive. If you add that option, you'll have the same functionality you do now with the option to pay for a monthly hotspot.
Getting ready to order next one so glad I saw your post. Thanks!