European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

07-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #23
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The German Alpine Road aka the Hoch Alpine Strasse in the Black Forrest area...

Are you referring to the B500 road? It runs from Baden Baden down to Baiersbronn.

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Baden...596666!1m0!3e0

You could skip the B500 Alpine road... its nice but it ain't all that special - like some of the Alpine Passes in Deutschland/Austria/Switzerland & Italy.

Btw... on the B500... the Mummelsee Hotel is a very nice place to stop for food or a nights stay. Very nice hotel. Its just its in the middle of no where! lol

Berghotel Mummelsee...
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Ber...96666!4d8.2012

Or maybe you are talking about the Alpine Strasse that runs from Berchtesgaden to the Bodensee(Lake Constance, near Friedrichshafen). Now that road is not to be missed! I really like the sections from say Berchtesgaden until Bad Tolz or Garmisch. After that... meh.

Scroll all the way down on this page to see the Map of this Alpina Road.
http://www.deutsche-alpenstrasse.de/en/home

Attachment 1660348

This is easy! I'm no fan of France. I really prefer Germany and points South. Bavaria, Tirol, Austria and Switzerland are my sorts of lands.

Go stay in Lauterbrunnen and explore around. Its cleaner and nicer - I think.

Just a few words of caution when it comes to driving in Switzerland... DO NOT speed. What I mean... is don't even go over the speed limit be a few kph. The Swiss are total speed Nazi's. Their speed limit on the Autobahn is 120 kph. And it drops down to 100 or 80 kph inside of their tunnels. And they LOVE to build tunnels every chance they get! lol And on the back roads... the speed limit is only 80 kph. Not 100 kph like it is in Germany!

IF the Swiss Polizei catch you going faster than +40 kph, they can TAKE your car. Really, they can. And speeding just a few klicks over the speed limit can cost you dearly. I had one forum member tell me he was fined for going +3 kph over the speed limit on a Swiss Autobahn... and the ticket was 130 euros! That would be a 20 euro ticket in Germany. So just be carefull.

Also everything in Switzerland costs more. Much more. A hotel that would cost you 60 euros per night in Germany runs about 120 euros in Switzerland. Meals are also about double or triple the prices here in Germany(15 euros for schnitzel will cost you 45 euros in CH). Just FYI.

All that said... I love it in Switzerland. It is a clean and beautiful country. Its nice to stay for a day or two... but I am always happy to stay the next few nights in a neighboring country... or better yet drive all the way to my home a few hours away!

I take it you also know about purchasing the Swiss vignette(40 euros, good for one year) and Austrian vignettes(8 euros for ten days)?

take care,
Dackel
Yes, I was talking about the Alpine Strasse. Thanks for reaffirming it is a good road. Will definitely do it.

Yes, aware of the Swiss laws on speed. Never even attempted going over on my previous trip and we did notice the difference in price going from Italy to Switzerland. A sandwich was 18-20 bucks. And yes, we already have the vignettes. Ordered them online to save time.

Thanks again.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      07-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #24
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
IF the Swiss Polizei catch you going faster than +40 kph, they can TAKE your car. Really, they can. And speeding just a few klicks over the speed limit can cost you dearly. I had one forum member tell me he was fined for going +3 kph over the speed limit on a Swiss Autobahn... and the ticket was 130 euros! That would be a 20 euro ticket in Germany. So just be careful.
Yes, give your best efforts to observe the Swiss speed limits.

A year or two ago my wife and I got back from Geneva (with our family car). We approached the Swiss-French border. That's a 60 km/h road. I noticed a 40 km/h sign right in front of the border, so went off the throttle and quietly rolled down. A few months later we got post from Switzerland: a fine of 40 Swiss francs for doing 41 km/h in a 40 km/h zone (correction of only a few kilometer). Our kind slowing down from 60 km/h had not been performed fast enough - did they expect us to slam the brakes ?! And so the Swiss cops took the effort to prepare a fine, find out with international authorities to whom the license plate belonged and subsequently send the fine abroad. We paid the fine. Nowhere the letter said: "We hope you enjoyed your stay in Switzerland"...
///M///1861.00