ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

07-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #155
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I do cringe at the thought a shady person could buy these just to flip and not disclose its origin to an unsuspecting buyer.
This could be partly why BMW reconditions them and sells them through BMW dealers. At the rate they go through these M cars, doing anything else could make for terrible stories.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #156
DataNerd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (sold). G80 M3C Xdrive

Like many of you, I'm also interested in the reliability of a PDC vehicle. So I bought one, at a steep discount. I'll post updates on this forum about issues that may arise.

I personally think that these cars aren't horrible purchases. I know people that have had more problems from gently used cars than cars that have been driven as they were meant to be. How an engine should be "seated", or "broken in", is divisive.

We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #157
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
Quote:
I do cringe at the thought a shady person could buy these just to flip and not disclose its origin to an unsuspecting buyer.
This could be partly why BMW reconditions them and sells them through BMW dealers. At the rate they go through these M cars, doing anything else could make for terrible stories.
I wonder if any reconditioning is done to the brakes.
      07-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #158
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

We beat the shit out of these cars at 2 day M school in Thermal. The instructor laps were even worse. I would NEVER purchase one of these cars.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #159
DataNerd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
We beat the shit out of these cars at 2 day M school in Thermal. The instructor laps were even worse. I would NEVER purchase one of these cars.
Stock cars on a track with supervision from BMW M instructors.

Have you read the forum? Firmware mods, bolt-ons, and piggybacks...which have not been driven gently and most probably tracked. If buying a used car, those are better purchases than a performance school car?

Maybe, but I'm doubtful.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 10:07 PM   #160
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataNerd View Post
Quote:

Have you read the forum? Firmware mods, bolt-ons, and piggybacks...which have not been driven gently and most probably tracked. If buying a used car, those are better purchases than a performance school car?

Maybe, but I'm doubtful.
People that mod their Ms are absolutely the minority. I would say less than 20%. Being on a forum always makes it seem like so much more but maybe less than 10 or even 5% of owners post here. So you have an 80% chance of getting a used stock car, or a 100-% chance you get a car that was beat to shit and was at the very least painted, had substantial repairs, parts replaced, or worse. Idk that seems more risky to me.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
minn1914021.00
      07-22-2017, 10:24 PM   #161
DataNerd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
People that mod their Ms are absolutely the minority. I would say less than 20%. Being on a forum always makes it seem like so much more but maybe less than 10 or even 5% of owners post here. So you have an 80% chance of getting a used stock car, or a 100-% chance you get a car that was beat to shit and was at the very least painted, had substantial repairs, parts replaced, or worse. Idk that seems more risky to me.

I like the random percentages. Who knows the number of people that mod their M cars...and if you do mod, then more power to you.

Parts break, better they break and be replaced before ownership than after.

Last edited by DataNerd; 07-22-2017 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 10:51 PM   #162
DataNerd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Not trying to change the topic, but what would be interesting to know is the number of visitors vs the number of active members. I do agree that the number of active members isn't representative of M owners as a whole, but I wonder how many come here for advice and then mod accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 10:57 PM   #163
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:

I like the random percentages. Who knows the number of people that mod their M cars...and if you do mod, then more power to you.

Parts break, better they break and be replaced before ownership than after.
Yeah they are random, but Im willing to bet a decent amount of money that I am in the ballpark. Hey if you want to go ahead and be the cool guy who buys a beat to shit track car, be my guest. It is not my money.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 11:07 PM   #164
DataNerd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah they are random, but Im willing to bet a decent amount of money that I am in the ballpark. Hey if you want to go ahead and be the cool guy who buys a beat to shit track car, be my guest. It is not my money.
Cool guy? Nah, more like guinea pig with a full factory warranty. Happy to update the forum with outcome though.

But hey, if you want to pay full price for a new car and take that depreciation hit, then be my guest. It's not my money.

Last edited by DataNerd; 07-22-2017 at 11:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 06:27 AM   #165
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Cool guy? Nah, more like guinea pig with a full factory warranty. Happy to update the forum with outcome though.

But hey, if you want to pay full price for a new car and take that depreciation hit, then be my guest. It's not my money.
I'd rather be the guy that buys a like new used car with 20k on it that was not used at M School that has been CPO'd for around 55k. Or buy privately from a fellow car enthusiast that owned the car. But that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 06:45 AM   #166
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe, but I'm doubtful.
I know your a newbie and all but have you read the forum/this thread? Those cars from the performance centers are beat to hell.

Just to clarify. I wouldn't purchase an unknown used car either. This is why I lease. Well that and Euro Delivery every 3 years
Appreciate 3
Thescout134944.00
GrussGott18138.50
Ibiza3608.50
      07-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #167
DataNerd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know your a newbie and all but have you read the forum/this thread? Those cars from the performance centers are beat to hell.

Just to clarify. I wouldn't purchase an unknown used car either. This is why I lease. Well that and Euro Delivery every 3 years
I wondered how long it would take for someone to call me a newb, unfortunately I don't think that is valid in discrediting my opinion. This is my 5th BMW - and yes, I've read the thread and I've also been to the M driving school as well as M track days. I'm aware of how the cars are driven.

I'm simply offering another point of view to the bashing with the purchase to back it up. I, as well as others, are probably curios to see how it turns out. It is fully warrantied so I'm not concerned about mechanical issues.

Worst case it gets traded in for something else.
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410784.50
      07-24-2017, 12:08 AM   #168
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Never buy a car from a rental store/driving school. That's like going to a whore house looking for a wife. Anything that's been ridden that hard, by that many people, is not worth it.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2017, 09:14 AM   #169
Zayzel
IG: @Zayzel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Atlantis Metallic M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanKM View Post
Never buy a car from a rental store/driving school. That's like going to a whore house looking for a wife. Anything that's been ridden that hard, by that many people, is not worth it.
hahaha solid analogy
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #170
DataNerd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ha. Good thing I'm not marrying my car.

... and I'd definitely be scared to own a rental M car!

Last edited by DataNerd; 07-24-2017 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #171
someguywithanm3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Well put LOL!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 12:59 PM   #172
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I think this video properly embodies what these used M School cars go through mile after mile on the odo. Imagine, 7K miles of this type of driving. I wouldn't want to knowingly buy a used car that was driven like this every single mile on the odo. Anyone that says they would is insane.

Appreciate 4
minn1914021.00
      07-29-2017, 11:27 AM   #173
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
These cars were driven as they were designed to be driven under the supervision of BMW instructors and were meticulously maintained by BMW. I would have less problem buying one of these than one that was owned by a private individual that I didn't know.
No way... you must have never been to PDC or m track days. The "everyperson" doesn't know how to handle these and they are literally tortured.

These are well maintained yes but abused... Think a constantly beaten Rottweiler that was just groomed and put through a day or two of obedience school.

They should have deep discounts beyond CPO depreciation
Yep. And I have been to several M track days to see what is done to these cars. I would never buy one.
      07-29-2017, 06:20 PM   #174
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
Quote:
Quote:
These cars were driven as they were designed to be driven under the supervision of BMW instructors and were meticulously maintained by BMW. I would have less problem buying one of these than one that was owned by a private individual that I didn't know.
No way... you must have never been to PDC or m track days. The "everyperson" doesn't know how to handle these and they are literally tortured.

These are well maintained yes but abused... Think a constantly beaten Rottweiler that was just groomed and put through a day or two of obedience school.

Yep. And I have been to several M track days to see what is done to these cars. I would never buy one.
For the right price every one of us would buy one.
      07-29-2017, 07:27 PM   #175
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok. True. But they will never sell for what it would take to get me to buy one. Some unsuspecting fool will pay more.
      07-29-2017, 08:04 PM   #176
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ya. Half price
Appreciate 3