Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

07-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #1
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Arrow ED Experts - Need Help with Euro Delivery Route

Dackelone Artemis RowanBuds stressdoc afisherunc CoolBreeze KevinM damianjus Jedi_M M3Tooner
jonasaurus

Guys need your help in critiquing this proposed route. I am tagging some of you because you either just did the European delivery or are experts on the European routes like Dackelone and Artemis

I have the opportunity for doing a second euro delivery in 2 years but this time it's with my best friend for his M car. I get 10 days of the full experience with no tension of where to park the car and what places to avoid.

It will just be the two of us, no wife and no kids so keep that in mind when providing input. It basically means that we can getup and go anytime without delays.

I mainly need help on Days 4 to Day 9 which will be the driving days after picking up the car.

Day 1 - Arrive in Munich and get the registration out of the way.

Day 2,3 and 4 - Explore Munich, Welt, day trips, etc.

==========================================
Note: I mentioned time as "on paper" because we all know it takes much longer because we stop to look at things, hit traffic, etc.

Day 3 - Welt to Fusch, Austria
170 Miles
4.5 Hrs (on paper)

- Delivery at 9:20 AM and depart Welt latest by 12 pm.
- Drive from Welt to Berchtesgaden, Eagles Nest taking some of the German Alpine Road.
- Explore Berchtesgaden and Eagles Nest
- Drive to Fusch for night Halt

Day 4 - Fusch to Hotel Kolfuschgerhof, Corvara via Grossglockner
119 Miles
3Hr 40m (on paper)

- Stay 2 nights in Corvara region and explore Dolomite's and passes

Day 6 - Hotel Kolfuschgerhof to Fussen
223 Miles
6 Hrs (on paper)

- Leave Corvara region early (7 AM) and hear to Fussen hitting some of the German Alipine road on the way.

- Stay 2 nights in Fussen and explore castles and neighboring areas

Day 8 - Fussen to Riquewihr, France via Lindau, Germany
231 Miles
6 Hrs (on paper)

- Leave Fussen early and head to lindau via the amazing German Alpine road
- Stopovers to explore castles, villages on the way
- Lunch at Lindau
- Reach Riquewihr by late evening
- Spend night in Riquewihr

Day 9 - Riquewihr, France to Zurich
102 Miles

2 Hrs (on paper)

- Explore Riquewihr all day and leave for Zurich late evening

Day 10 - Drop off car
Attached Images

My Amazing European Delivery Story

Last edited by ///M///; 07-20-2017 at 11:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Mikecom32
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 ZCP 6MT, '05 330xi 6MT,

Having just returned from a three week ED myself, I think the Nurburgring is a must visit for any car guy.

I'd also highly recommend hitting the B500 in the Black Forest. Awesome forest driving roads with beautiful scenery! Here's some info: https://eatsleepride.com/c/8351/the_...otorcycle_road
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecom32 View Post
Having just returned from a three week ED myself, I think the Nurburgring is a must visit for any car guy.

I'd also highly recommend hitting the B500 in the Black Forest. Awesome forest driving roads with beautiful scenery! Here's some info: https://eatsleepride.com/c/8351/the_...otorcycle_road
Thanks I have already been to those places. Was just looking for critique on this route in terms of if it's doable and if I need to cut down on locations, etc. Thanks

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #4
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Free suggestion for two exquisite Summer drive days in the epic Dolomites (days 4 and 5 of your schedule).

Weather: normally fine during the Summer. Nice driving weather. But, as you're in the mountains, there are inevitably local differences: I already encountered drizzle, thunder, heavy rain shower, fog, chilly temps, hot temps and bright sunshine all within the same hour when crossing passes.

DAY 1: Sella Ronda - 219 km - 05h20 on paper (without traffic - without stops)

Map: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Hote...d46.549563!3e0

Sequence of mountain passes:
  • Passo Gardena / Grödnerjoch | Passo Sella / Sellajoch | Passo Pordoi | Passo Campolongo | Passo Valparola | Passo Falzarego | Passo di Giau | Passo Staulanza | Passo Duran | Passo Fedaia (lake) | Passo Sella / Sellajoch | Passo Gardena / Grödnerjoch
Location checkpoints:
  • Hotel (Colfosco) to Plan de Gralba (Passo Gardena - Grödnerjoch)
  • Plan de Gralba to Canazei/Pecol (Passo Sella - Sellajoch)
  • Canazei/Pecol to Arabba (Passo Pordoi - Pordoijoch)
  • Arabba to Corvara in Badia (Passo Campolongo)
  • Corvara in Badia to La Villa
  • La Villa to Lagazuoi (Passo Valparola)
  • Lagazuoi to Pocol (part of Passo Falzarego)
  • Pocol to Selva di Cadore (Passo di Giau)
  • Selva di Cadore to Dont (Passo Staulanza)
  • Dont to Agordo (Passo Duran)
  • Agordo to Cencenighe Agordino
  • Cencenighe Agordino to Caprile
  • Caprile to Canazei (Passo Fedaia + Fedaia Lake & dam)
  • Canazei to Plan de Gralba (Passo Sella - Sellajoch)
  • Plan de Gralba to Hotel (Corvara-Colfosco) (Passo Gardena - Grödnerjoch)
Remark: Sella Pass is closed each Wednesday of July and August 2017 from 9am to 4pm for all vehicles with combustion engines ("Dolomiti Green Days").

DAY 2: Venturing West of Sella Ronda - 360 km - 06h56 on paper (without traffic - without stops)

• Passo Gardena - Grödnerjoch | Passo delle Erbe - Würzjoch | Passo di Giove - Jaufenpass | Passo delle Palade - Gampenjoch | Passo Mendola - Mendelpass | Passo di Pennès - Penserjoch | Passo Gardena - Grödnerjoch
Location checkpoints:
  • Hotel (Colfosco) to Corvara in Badia (Passo Gardena - Grödnerjoch)
  • Corvara in Badia to San Martino in Badia/St. Martin in Thurn
  • San Martino in Badia/St. Martin in Thurn to Brunico/Bruneck (Passo delle Erbe - Würzjoch)
  • Brunico/Bruneck to Vipiteno/Sterzing
  • Vipiteno/Sterzing to San Leonardo in Passeria/St. Leonard in Passeier (Passo di Giove - Jaufenpas)
  • San Leonardo in Passeria/St. Leonard in Passeier to Merano
  • Merano to Narano/Naraun
  • Narano/Naraun to Fondo (Passo delle Palade - Gampenjoch)
  • Fondo to Appiano/Epan (Passo Mendola - Mendelpas)
  • Appiano/Epan to Bolzano
  • Bolzano to Sarentino/Sarntal
  • Sarentino/Sarntal to Vipiteno/Sterzing (Passo di Pennès - Penserjoch)
  • Vipiteno/Sterzing to Chiusa/Klausen (A22 highway)
  • Chiusa/Klausen to Ortisei
  • Ortisei to Plan de Gralba
  • Plan de Gralba to Hotel (Colfosco) (Passo Gardena - Grödnerjoch)
DAY 2 - ALTERNATIVE: Venturing West of Sella Ronda - 332 km - 06h11 on paper (without traffic - without stops)
(check your time, how you feel and how the weather is evolving, once you're nearing Merano after having driven the Passo di Giove: at that location you still got 220 km equaling more than 4 hours of driving ahead of you; if you want to drive less or win a bit of time to make stops, drive this alternative, as it skips the Passo delle Palade - Gampenjoch and Passo Mendola - Mendelpas; if you want to cancel the rest of the mountain trip once you're in Merano because you prefer to spend the afternoon visiting the awesome Trauttmansdorff Castle Gardens, skip everything and your GPS will send you straight to your hotel in Colfosco over the highway, taking only ±01h45 for ±90 km).

• Passo Gardena - Grödnerjoch | Passo delle Erbe - Würzjoch | Passo di Giove - Jaufenpass | Passo di Pennès - Penserjoch | Passo Gardena - Grödnerjoch
Location checkpoints:
  • San Martino in Badia/St. Martin in Thurn to Brunico/Bruneck (Passo delle Erbe - Würzjoch)
  • Vipiteno/Sterzing to San Leonardo in Passeria/St. Leonard in Passeier (Passo di Giove - Jaufenpas)
  • Merano to to Bolzano (via the curvy SP98 + SP99)
  • Vipiteno/Sterzing to Bressanone/Brixen
  • Bressanone/Brixen to Chiusa/Klausen (A22 highway)
  • Ortisei to Wolkenstein - Plan de Gralba
  • Plan de Gralba to Hotel (Colfosco) (Passo Gardena - Grödnerjoch)
Name:  SellaRonda.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  240.8 KB

Last edited by Artemis; 07-20-2017 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 4
Dackelone10527.50
///M///1862.00
GrussGott18116.50
      07-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #5
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Well, definitely doable from my standpoint, especially as it a guy trip. As you know, driving on the Alpine Road is a blast (when you aren't stuck behind a truck or tractor, ha ha). The Dolomites are absoultely spectacular.

I will say it's an ambitious driving schedule, a bit more so than I would personally want. Those > 200 miles/d drives can be exhausting in Europe and may take longer than then you estimate (as you state). Of course, I'm sure you'll be splitting the driving with your buddy.

Have fun!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 1
///M///1862.00
      07-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #6
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Free suggestion for two exquisite Summer drive days in the epic Dolomites (days 4 and 5 of your schedule).

DAY 1: Sella Ronda - 219 km - 05h20 on paper (without traffic - without stops)

• Passo Gardena / Grödnerjoch | Passo Sella / Sellajoch | Passo Pordoi | Passo Campolongo | Passo Valparola | Passo Falzarego | Passo di Giau | Passo Staulanza | Passo Duran | Passo Fedaia (lake) | Passo Sella / Sellajoch | Passo Gardena / Grödnerjoch
Location checkpoints:
  • Hotel (Colfosco) to Plan de Gralba (Passo Gardena - Grödnerjoch)
  • Plan de Gralba to Canazei/Pecol (Passo Sella - Sellajoch)
  • Canazei/Pecol to Arabba (Passo Pordoi - Pordoijoch)
  • Arabba to Corvara in Badia (Passo Campolongo)
  • Corvara in Badia to La Villa
  • La Villa to Lagazuoi (Passo Valparola)
  • Lagazuoi to Pocol (part of Passo Falzarego)
  • Pocol to Selva di Cadore (Passo di Giau)
  • Selva di Cadore to Dont (Passo Staulanza)
  • Dont to Agordo (Passo Duran)
  • Agordo to Cencenighe Agordino
  • Cencenighe Agordino to Caprile
  • Caprile to Canazei (Passo Fedaia + Fedaia Lake & dam)
  • Canazei to Plan de Gralba (Passo Sella - Sellajoch)
  • Plan de Gralba to Hotel (Corvara-Colfosco) (Passo Gardena - Grödnerjoch)
Remark: Sella Pass is closed each Wednesday of July and August 2017 from 9am to 4pm for all vehicles with combustion engines ("Dolomiti Green Days").

DAY 2: Venturing West of Sella Ronda - 360 km - 06h56 on paper (without traffic - without stops)

• Passo Gardena - Grödnerjoch | Passo delle Erbe - Würzjoch | Passo di Giove - Jaufenpass | Passo delle Palade - Gampenjoch | Passo Mendola - Mendelpass | Passo di Pennes - Penserjoch | Passo Val Gardena - Grödnerjoch
Location checkpoints:
  • Merano to Narano/Naraun
  • Narano/Naraun to Fondo (Passo delle Palade - Gampenjoch)
  • Fondo to Appiano/Epan (Passo Mendola - Mendelpass)
  • Appiano/Epan to Bolzano
  • Vipiteno/Sterzing to Chiusa/Klausen (A22 highway)
  • Ortisei to Plan de Gralba
  • Plan de Gralba to Hotel (Colfosco) (Passo Val Gardena - Grödnerjoch)
Attachment 1659646

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #7
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
Thank you.
In my earlier post, I just added an alternative itinerary suggestion for "Day 2", as back-up plan: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...6#post21966386

See also this comment: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...5#post21969285
      07-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #8
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
In my earlier post, I just added an alternative itinerary suggestion for "Day 2", as back-up plan: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...6#post21966386

See also this comment: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...5#post21969285
All good info. Thanks. Can you also comment on my 2 days after leaving Corvara......Day 6 & 7 through the German Alpine Road. Too much? Should I cut back?

Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
All good info. Thanks. Can you also comment on my 2 days after leaving Corvara......Day 6 & 7 through the German Alpine Road. Too much? Should I cut back?
Thanks.
If you're a rookie regarding mountain driving, concentration and fatigue usually starts to kick in after approx. 6-7 hours of twisties. Of course you drain more energy compared to a normal drive: permanent heightened concentration and self-restraint is required for safety reasons (treacherous environment of steep drop-offs, hairpins, tire-ripping curbs, potholes, cracks, bumps, patches, pebbles, gravel, mud, humidity and sometimes black ice, etc.), you encounter other road users who also can make mistakes like any of us, the height differences cause pressure fluctuations and the sun and heat flavor the experience.

A 6-hour drive on paper (Google Maps) often becomes 8 hours, as you like to make sightseeing stops, get some food, get stuck in traffic and roadworks, etc. As you travel with a buddy for his European Delivery, you got the major advantage to regularly switch driver, allowing to spend a long day out/up in the mountains. But if you want to feel comfortable, be back at your hotel before dark (dusk is still OK; darkness and humidity may get you nervous + you might miss dinner at the hotel).

Personally I like stints of up to 12 hours of consecutive mountain driving (no stops, except for eventual refueling, some pictures here and there and taking a leak). Ask Dackelone: "Come on Dackel, let's do one more pass before getting dinner, yeah !". Quality time whilst being 'in the zone': just you, the mighty ///Machine, the epic roads and the awesome scenery. It's a physical and mental experience. Get a good breakfast, refuel before all real action starts (or the evening before) and drive all day non-stop, zooming from pass to pass. My wife usually cuts short my long stints by calling me in the evening with the message that I should be back home for dinner around 9pm.

Lunchtime = usually calmer roads, as most Italians are having lunch in the cool of their airco-equiped lunch places. So if you need lunch, beat the traffic on the road and the queues inside the bar by getting it earlier or later than lunchtime - or simply skip it. But take enough beverages on board to drink regularly and sweat it all out.

Fuel: not very easy to find 98 RON or higher on the backroads in the Sella Ronda whereabouts (unlike highways: easy to find). If you see a fuel station offering 98 RON and higher: refuel. At Sella Ronda, get 100 RON ("Blu Super+") at the ENI/Agip fuel station in Canazei (location: see here). One of the guys working over there told me a few months ago that they suffered more regularly supply shortages of high octane fuels in the area.

Sella Ronda last Spring:

Giau Pass:

Valparola Pass:

Grossglockner last Summer (driven that pass 3 consecutive times that day ):
      07-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #10
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
If you're a rookie regarding mountain driving, concentration and fatigue usually starts to kick in after approx. 6-7 hours of twisties. Of course you drain more energy compared to a normal drive: permanent heightened concentration and self-restraint is required for safety reasons (treacherous environment of steep drop-offs, hairpins, tire-ripping curbs, potholes, cracks, bumps, patches, pebbles, gravel, mud, humidity and sometimes black ice, etc.), you encounter other road users who also can make mistakes like any of us, the height differences cause pressure fluctuations and the sun and heat flavor the experience.

A 6-hour drive on paper (Google Maps) often becomes 8 hours, as you like to make sightseeing stops, get some food, get stuck in traffic and roadworks, etc. As you travel with a buddy for his European Delivery, you got the major advantage to regularly switch driver, allowing to spend a long day out/up in the mountains. But if you want to feel comfortable, be back at your hotel before dark (dusk is still OK; darkness and humidity may get you nervous + you might miss dinner at the hotel).

Personally I like stints of up to 12 hours of consecutive mountain driving (no stops, except for eventual refueling, some pictures here and there and taking a leak). Ask Dackelone: "Come on Dackel, let's do one more pass before getting dinner, yeah !". Quality time whilst being 'in the zone': just you, the mighty ///Machine, the epic roads and the awesome scenery. It's a physical and mental experience. Get a good breakfast, refuel before all real action starts (or the evening before) and drive all day non-stop, zooming from pass to pass. My wife usually cuts short my long stints by calling me in the evening with the message that I should be back home for dinner around 9pm.

Lunchtime = usually calmer roads, as most Italians are having lunch in the cool of their airco-equiped lunch places. So if you need lunch, beat the traffic on the road and the queues inside the bar by getting it earlier or later than lunchtime - or simply skip it. But take enough beverages on board to drink regularly and sweat it all out.

Fuel: not very easy to find 98 RON or higher on the backroads in the Sella Ronda whereabouts (unlike highways: easy to find). If you see a fuel station offering 98 RON and higher: refuel. At Sella Ronda, get 100 RON ("Blu Super+") at the ENI/Agip fuel station in Canazei (location: see here). One of the guys working over there told me a few months ago that they suffered more regularly supply shortages of high octane fuels in the area.

Grossglockner last Summer (driven that pass 3 consecutive times that day ):
Excellent. Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #11
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Excellent. Thanks.
Glad in helping you in the past with suggestions for your 2015 European Delivery, and now again for your buddy's ED.

You've already driven some of the proposed roads and stayed at a suggested hotel, so you somehow know what to expect.
Dackelone10527.50
      07-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #12
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Glad in helping you in the past with suggestions for your 2015 European Delivery, and now again for your buddy's ED.

You've already driven some of the proposed roads and stayed at a suggested hotel, so you somehow know what to expect.
Yes. That was a blast. It's my friend's first ED and am trying to convince him that what's on paper is very different from when you actually drive there time-wise. I remember it took me way longer than what google maps had said. The Alpine road section is an entirely new route to me so was mainly interested in feedback on that.

Thanks again for the help

Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      07-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
OP... you have to understand that Artemis is a driving machine!! He's not happy unless he has driven 14 to 16 hour days behind the wheel of his M. I kid you not!!

I would really not plan to drive more than say five or six hours... bc like Luc said... a five hour driving tour turns into an eight hour drive once you figure in all the photo and bathroom breaks and food stops.

I prefer to drive by myself at times... bc I can stop anytime I want too... and not feel like I am holding back the "group". There have also been places that I have seen and would have liked to stop to check out more - but couldn't.

There is no race on these roads... just drive a slow steady speed and enjoy the beauty of the passes. Like I said... I prefer to limit my driving time to about six hours... but somehow when we are in a convoy of cars... our eight hour drives turn into 12 hour tours. For me that's not so much fun.

I would say plan on ~300 km drives each day. No more. Stop and enjoy the scenery and have some beers at the end of each day. Think of 300 kms as miles... and you will have an idea of the distances involved. While everything looks so close/near each other on Google Maps... the reality is very different. On these passes there can be construction or worse... your stuck behind some cyclists or RV's... and your drive is ruined. In those cases... just find somewhere to stop and take a break - while those slow going RV's find someplace to stop. Nothing sucks more than to get stuck driving up a awesome pass... behind one of those caravans(RV's). Plan on a 30kph to 50 kph average speed over these passes. Usually 30kph average when you take into account all the stops.

Eagles Nest can get very crowded in the mid mornings and afternoon. We got there at 9am and by 11am the place was packed! You also need to buy and wait for a bus ticket(14 euros round trip)... and you have to tell the bus company when you plan on driving back down(when you get to the top) of the mountain(a bus every 45 minutes I think?). We did it really fast.... and I think we stayed and hour and half. You could stay even longer if you decide to have a snack or drink up at the top of the Eagles Nest. Or you can walk down the mountain if your really adventurist type.

They also have a documentation museum at the park platz where you buy the bus tickets for Eagles Nest. You could spend an hour or two inside there as well - touring the "sanitized" catacomb tunnels.

I would HIGHLY recommend you to visit the Zum Turken Hotel... for a few euros you can descend into the REAL catacomb tunnels and see what it was really like down there. It was way cooler than seeing the modern and cleaned up tunnels in the docu-museum. The Zum Turken was where the Ottoman Empire had stationed Turkish troops. Hitler's house was located next door and the old lady owner Ursula has some interesting stories to tell... if your nice to her. Touring the old tunnels at the Zum Turken is not to be missed. You can also see what's left of the hidden driveway to Hitler's house just a few meters down the hill from the Zum Turken. Its all very interesting - historically.

I would recommend for you to stay in the BEST WESTERN PLUS Berghotel Rehlegg... The buffet and this area was really nice. The rooms were kind of meh... but the hotel and the area will bring me back for sure!
https://www.google.de/maps/place/BES...67!4d12.899344

It is a very nice hotel in the heart of the southern most area of Germany. This area is so rich in history and beauty. Just a few hundred meters from the hotel is Gemeindeverwaltung Ramsau. The famous post card bridge that is so associated with Germany.
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Gem...52!4d12.909193

I would also recommend you to drive along the Rossfeld Panorama Strasse. Its an awesome twisty road crossing into Austria and Germany at times. There is also a small private toll road on this section(6 euros) and its really a nice road to drive in a nice car!

Also... IF you have done so already... check out these other threads of mine...

Your first Nürburgring Nordschleife Touristenfahrten lap! (2016)
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1348032

Places to visit near Munich while on ED...
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1170588

Dackel's European Delivery Museum Guide
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=929787

Dackel
Appreciate 1
///M///1862.00
      07-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:

- Delivery at 9:20 AM and depart Welt latest by 12 pm.
- Drive from Welt to Berchtesgaden, Eagles Nest taking some of the German Alpine Road.
- Explore Berchtesgaden and Eagles Nest
- Drive to Fusch for night Halt
I think you will need half a day to see/visit Eagle's Nest. See my previous post above.

Quote:
Day 4 - Fusch to Hotel Kolfuschgerhof, Corvara via Globsglocker
119 Miles
3Hr 40m (on paper)

- Stay 2 nights in Corvara region and explore Dolomite's and passes

What route do you plan to take>? The faster route on Google says that the road is not all paved(construction - shown as little white dots on Google Maps) in a lot of the route.

I would drive the slightly longer(Southern) route like this...

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Hotel...47.2252755!5i1

Quote:
Day 6 - Hotel Kolfuschgerhof to Fussen
223 Miles
6 Hrs (on paper)

- Leave Corvara region early (7 AM) and hear to Fussen hitting some of the German Alipine road on the way.

- Stay 2 nights in Fussen and explore castles and neighboring areas

How about a tour something like this...

Hotel Kolfuschgerhof --> Timmelsjoch Hochalpenstraße --> Stop at Oilers69 (for lunch) --> Hahntennjoch --> Füssen

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Hotel...d47.569648!3e0

In Reutte, Austria - there is the famous Highline179(all glass suspension bridge)... you have to hike up the mountain to get to it. But it looks really cool - if your not afraid of heights! There is also a really cool castle nearby too.

https://www.google.de/maps/place/hig...5!4d10.7165969

Quote:
Day 8 - Fussen to Riquewihr, France via Lindau, Germany
231 Miles
6 Hrs (on paper)

- Leave Fussen early and head to lindau via the amazing German Alpine road
- Stopovers to explore castles, villages on the way
- Lunch at Lindau
- Reach Riquewihr by late evening
- Spend night in Riquewihr
Lindau is a nice small island - but there isn't much to do there.

In Friedrichshafen there is the Dornier Museum and also the Zeppelin Museum. I've been to both and IF I had to pick only one to visit I would say go visit the Dornier Museum unless you really have a hard on for Zeppelins. But both museums have quite a bit of Zeppelin stuff on display.

Maybe a route like this...
https://www.google.de/maps/dir/F%C3%...d48.166158!3e0

Quote:
Day 9 - Riquewihr, France to Zurich
102 Miles

2 Hrs (on paper)

- Explore Riquewihr all day and leave for Zurich late evening

Why not go visit the famous Schlump Museum? You are practically there!! They also have a sister museum on trains... but I have never been there. But everyone I have taken to Schlump is just in awe.

Schlump Museum - Cité de l'Automobile, 15 Rue de l'Épée, 68100 Mulhouse, France

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Rique...47.3768866!3e0

The above route takes you quite close to this Swiss Military Museum that's been on my radar... when I last went there they were closed for the winter. They should be open for the summer months. Its more of a storage type museum... but what I could see from peeking into the windows - it looked quite cool. Not sure IF you guys are into weapons and military stuff.

Swiss Military Museum - (Schweizerisches Militärmuseum)
General Guisan-Strasse 1,
5324 Full-Reuenthal, Switzerland

www.militaer-museum.ch

Quote:
Day 10 - Drop off car

Ok, let me know what you think. Or if I can suggest anything else.

Dackel
Appreciate 1
///M///1862.00
      07-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #15
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I would also recommend you to drive along the Rossfeld Panorama Strasse. Its an awesome twisty road crossing into Austria and Germany at times. There is also a small private toll road on this section (6 euros) and its really a nice road to drive in a nice car!
Oh yeah, that cool private toll road alongside the Isar river (Risser Strasse from Wallgau to Vorderriß). At some point you cross some wooden bridge where the wheels may spin through. As it's a toll road, it's very calm. A cool 15-minute drive where we all wondered: "Who let the dogs out ?", haha. Its location: see here. Feel free to enjoy a coffee at the hotel at the end (Gasthof Post Vorderriß), across the bridge.

Name:  GG_Approach.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  308.3 KB

Sign in the Cortina d'Ampezzo whereabouts: all clear:
Name:  Passes_Sign.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  354.0 KB
///M///1862.00
      07-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #16
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Dackelone Thank you so much for all the feedback. Exactly what I was looking for. This is really really helpful. I am 100% with you on not making it an all driving day. I never enjoy that as there are so many nice places along the way we would want to stop and absorb the beauty of the amazing landscape. Thank you for all the excellent suggestions. The 30 kph (average)speed is certainly an eye opener. I remember seeing that happen to me at Sella pass.

Quote:
OP... you have to understand that Artemis is a driving machine!! He's not happy unless he has driven 14 to 16 hour days behind the wheel of his M. I kid you not!!

I would really not plan to drive more than say five or six hours... bc like Luc said... a five hour driving tour turns into an eight hour drive once you figure in all the photo and bathroom breaks and food stops.

I prefer to drive by myself at times... bc I can stop anytime I want too... and not feel like I am holding back the "group". There have also been places that I have seen and would have liked to stop to check out more - but couldn't.

There is no race on these roads... just drive a slow steady speed and enjoy the beauty of the passes. Like I said... I prefer to limit my driving time to about six hours... but somehow when we are in a convoy of cars... our eight hour drives turn into 12 hour tours. For me that's not so much fun.

I would say plan on ~300 km drives each day. No more. Stop and enjoy the scenery and have some beers at the end of each day. Think of 300 kms as miles... and you will have an idea of the distances involved. While everything looks so close/near each other on Google Maps... the reality is very different. On these passes there can be construction or worse... your stuck behind some cyclists or RV's... and your drive is ruined. In those cases... just find somewhere to stop and take a break - while those slow going RV's find someplace to stop. Nothing sucks more than to get stuck driving up a awesome pass... behind one of those caravans(RV's). Plan on a 30kph to 50 kph average speed over these passes. Usually 30kph average when you take into account all the stops.

Eagles Nest can get very crowded in the mid mornings and afternoon. We got there at 9am and by 11am the place was packed! You also need to buy and wait for a bus ticket(14 euros round trip)... and you have to tell the bus company when you plan on driving back down(when you get to the top) of the mountain(a bus every 45 minutes I think?). We did it really fast.... and I think we stayed and hour and half. You could stay even longer if you decide to have a snack or drink up at the top of the Eagles Nest. Or you can walk down the mountain if your really adventurist type.

They also have a documentation museum at the park platz where you buy the bus tickets for Eagles Nest. You could spend an hour or two inside there as well - touring the "sanitized" catacomb tunnels.

I would HIGHLY recommend you to visit the Zum Turken Hotel... for a few euros you can descend into the REAL catacomb tunnels and see what it was really like down there. It was way cooler than seeing the modern and cleaned up tunnels in the docu-museum. The Zum Turken was where the Ottoman Empire had stationed Turkish troops. Hitler's house was located next door and the old lady owner Ursula has some interesting stories to tell... if your nice to her. Touring the old tunnels at the Zum Turken is not to be missed. You can also see what's left of the hidden driveway to Hitler's house just a few meters down the hill from the Zum Turken. Its all very interesting - historically.

I would recommend for you to stay in the BEST WESTERN PLUS Berghotel Rehlegg... The buffet and this area was really nice. The rooms were kind of meh... but the hotel and the area will bring me back for sure!
https://www.google.de/maps/place/BES...67!4d12.899344

It is a very nice hotel in the heart of the southern most area of Germany. This area is so rich in history and beauty. Just a few hundred meters from the hotel is Gemeindeverwaltung Ramsau. The famous post card bridge that is so associated with Germany.
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Gem...52!4d12.909193

I would also recommend you to drive along the Rossfeld Panorama Strasse. Its an awesome twisty road crossing into Austria and Germany at times. There is also a small private toll road on this section(6 euros) and its really a nice road to drive in a nice car!

Also... IF you have done so already... check out these other threads of mine...

Your first Nürburgring Nordschleife Touristenfahrten lap! (2016)
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1348032

Places to visit near Munich while on ED...
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1170588

Dackel's European Delivery Museum Guide
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=929787

Dackel

Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      07-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #17
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Dackelone Thank you so much for all the feedback. Exactly what I was looking for. This is really really helpful. I am 100% with you on not making it an all driving day. I never enjoy that as there are so many nice places along the way we would want to stop and absorb the beauty of the amazing landscape. Thank you for all the excellent suggestions. The 30 kph (average)speed is certainly an eye opener. I remember seeing that happen to me at Sella pass.
One other thing about Sella... it's kind of hard to find SuperPlus(premium fuel) 98 octane in Italy. Just about everywhere you go they either have Diesel or Super(95 octane). But no SuperPlus(98)... so when you see a gas station that sells it SP... FILL UP!! Also the price of fuel is insane in Italy. Expect to pay close to 2 euros a liter. Here in Germany we pay about 1.45(euros) for SuperPlus and 1.15 for normal Super.

One of our favorite places to tank up is in Vipiteno. This gas station used to be a SHELL but now is a Q1 gas station(on our last visit there). But they sell 101 octane fuel as well. Thats what we all bought.

Deuschhausstraße, Via della Commenda 24, 39049 Vipiteno BZ, Italy
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Rep...2!4d11.4305931

Just a few meters down the street from this gas station is a really nice restaurant and hotel: Hotel Restaurant Zum Engel. We've never stayed there... but its my kind of hotel.

Hotel Restaurant Zum Engel
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Hot...1!4d11.4303517

From Vipiteno you don't need to get back on the Brenner(A22 Autostrada)... I would just drive the SS12 highway... and enjoy some of the sights... You could also stop at the A.H. Bräu restaurant - they have great pizza there. Next door they have an old hotel that looks like some sort of a former castle.

A.H. Bräu & Hotel next door...
https://www.google.de/maps/place/A.H...1!4d11.5432835

IF you continue down this SS12 highway you will come across this old fortress... Festung Fortezza Franzensfeste I've never stopped here but just driving by this piece of military history is awesome!

Festung Fortezza Franzensfeste...
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Fes...1!4d11.6280312
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #18
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Dackelone Thanks again for breaking it up by the days. See my response below and possibly some more questions.

Quote:
I think you will need half a day to see/visit Eagle's Nest. See my previous post above.

Agreed. Guess I will just use the highway to get to this area then and cut out the German Alpine road I was planning on taking. Will save a 2-3 hrs.

What route do you plan to take>? The faster route on Google says that the road is not all paved(construction - shown as little white dots on Google Maps) in a lot of the route.

I would drive the slightly longer(Southern) route like this...

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Hotel...47.2252755!5i1

It's the same southern route you have shown here

How about a tour something like this...

Hotel Kolfuschgerhof --> Timmelsjoch Hochalpenstraße --> Stop at Oilers69 (for lunch) --> Hahntennjoch --> Füssen

I'll certainly look at that. The route we plotted was mainly to hit the German Alpine Road. It is much longer but I've heard really good things about it so figured we drive some of it on our way to Fussen. Also a couple of nice Gorges and a famous concrete bridge on the way. Here is what my route looks like...Would you recommend skipping the German Alpine Road?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DG...C8&usp=sharing

In Reutte, Austria - there is the famous Highline179(all glass suspension bridge)... you have to hike up the mountain to get to it. But it looks really cool - if your not afraid of heights! There is also a really cool castle nearby too.

https://www.google.de/maps/place/hig...5!4d10.7165969

Awesome. Will save the location Thanks

Lindau is a nice small island - but there isn't much to do there.

Thanks. Will consider skipping.

In Friedrichshafen there is the Dornier Museum and also the Zeppelin Museum. I've been to both and IF I had to pick only one to visit I would say go visit the Dornier Museum unless you really have a hard on for Zeppelins. But both museums have quite a bit of Zeppelin stuff on display.

Maybe a route like this...
https://www.google.de/maps/dir/F%C3%...d48.166158!3e0

Thanks. Noted

Why not go visit the famous Schlump Museum? You are practically there!! They also have a sister museum on trains... but I have never been there. But everyone I have taken to Schlump is just in awe.

Schlump Museum - Cité de l'Automobile, 15 Rue de l'Épée, 68100 Mulhouse, France

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Rique...47.3768866!3e0

The above route takes you quite close to this Swiss Military Museum that's been on my radar... when I last went there they were closed for the winter. They should be open for the summer months. Its more of a storage type museum... but what I could see from peeking into the windows - it looked quite cool. Not sure IF you guys are into weapons and military stuff.

Swiss Military Museum - (Schweizerisches Militärmuseum)
General Guisan-Strasse 1,
5324 Full-Reuenthal, Switzerland

www.militaer-museum.ch

Thanks. That sounds pretty interesting if we are in that area. One option we were considering was to go to Lauterbrunnen instead of Riquewihr on Day 9 and stay over at Lauterbrunnen before going to Zurich the next day. Both places are the same distance.

Any recommendation?

Ok, let me know what you think. Or if I can suggest anything else.

Dackel

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #19
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Dackelone I know exactly what you are talking about because you had given the same suggestion back in 2015 for my ED and I took your advise It was an amazing route

Day 4 of this thread

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1175723

Quote:
One other thing about Sella... it's kind of hard to find SuperPlus(premium fuel) 98 octane in Italy. Just about everywhere you go they either have Diesel or Super(95 octane). But no SuperPlus(98)... so when you see a gas station that sells it SP... FILL UP!! Also the price of fuel is insane in Italy. Expect to pay close to 2 euros a liter. Here in Germany we pay about 1.45(euros) for SuperPlus and 1.15 for normal Super.

One of our favorite places to tank up is in Vipiteno. This gas station used to be a SHELL but now is a Q1 gas station(on our last visit there). But they sell 101 octane fuel as well. Thats what we all bought.

Deuschhausstraße, Via della Commenda 24, 39049 Vipiteno BZ, Italy
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Rep...2!4d11.4305931

Just a few meters down the street from this gas station is a really nice restaurant and hotel: Hotel Restaurant Zum Engel. We've never stayed there... but its my kind of hotel.

Hotel Restaurant Zum Engel
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Hot...1!4d11.4303517

From Vipiteno you don't need to get back on the Brenner(A22 Autostrada)... I would just drive the SS12 highway... and enjoy some of the sights... You could also stop at the A.H. Bräu restaurant - they have great pizza there. Next door they have an old hotel that looks like some sort of a former castle.

A.H. Bräu & Hotel next door...
https://www.google.de/maps/place/A.H...1!4d11.5432835

IF you continue down this SS12 highway you will come across this old fortress... Festung Fortezza Franzensfeste I've never stopped here but just driving by this piece of military history is awesome!

Festung Fortezza Franzensfeste...
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Fes...1!4d11.6280312

Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      07-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #20
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Good suggestions. Timmelsjoch High Alpine Road (Passo Rombo) is a toll road, but worth the drive. Beware: only open a few months per year and during daytime hours. Also beware of cows. No kidding: we personally witnessed a cow charging a 1M ahead of us (part of our group); inevitably we later baptized the aggressive animal "Rambo Cow" of Passo Rombo:
Name:  Rambo_Cow_2.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  189.8 KB

Name:  Rambo_Cow.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  80.8 KB

And Hahntennjochstrasse: sweet pass. One of the favorite mountain passes of Henry Catchpole (DriveTribe):

Oilers69: yeah, quite a peculiar road restaurant:
///M///1862.00
      07-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Dackelone Thanks again for breaking it up by the days. See my response below and possibly some more questions.

Quote:
I'll certainly look at that. The route we plotted was mainly to hit the German Alpine Road. It is much longer but I've heard really good things about it so figured we drive some of it on our way to Fussen. Also a couple of nice Gorges and a famous concrete bridge on the way. Here is what my route looks like...Would you recommend skipping the German Alpine Road?
The German Alpine Road aka the Hoch Alpine Strasse in the Black Forrest area...

Are you referring to the B500 road? It runs from Baden Baden down to Baiersbronn.

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Baden...596666!1m0!3e0

You could skip the B500 Alpine road... its nice but it ain't all that special - like some of the Alpine Passes in Deutschland/Austria/Switzerland & Italy.

Btw... on the B500... the Mummelsee Hotel is a very nice place to stop for food or a nights stay. Very nice hotel. Its just its in the middle of no where! lol

Berghotel Mummelsee...
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Ber...96666!4d8.2012

Or maybe you are talking about the Alpine Strasse that runs from Berchtesgaden to the Bodensee(Lake Constance, near Friedrichshafen). Now that road is not to be missed! I really like the sections from say Berchtesgaden until Bad Tolz or Garmisch. After that... meh.

Scroll all the way down on this page to see the Map of this Alpina Road.
http://www.deutsche-alpenstrasse.de/en/home

Name:  Deutsch Alpenstr  _2014_Maps_300px_LA0211.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  99.8 KB

Quote:
Thanks. That sounds pretty interesting if we are in that area. One option we were considering was to go to Lauterbrunnen instead of Riquewihr on Day 9 and stay over at Lauterbrunnen before going to Zurich the next day. Both places are the same distance.

Any recommendation?
This is easy! I'm no fan of France. I really prefer Germany and points South. Bavaria, Tirol, Austria and Switzerland are my sorts of lands.

Go stay in Lauterbrunnen and explore around. Its cleaner and nicer - I think.

Just a few words of caution when it comes to driving in Switzerland... DO NOT speed. What I mean... is don't even go over the speed limit be a few kph. The Swiss are total speed Nazi's. Their speed limit on the Autobahn is 120 kph. And it drops down to 100 or 80 kph inside of their tunnels. And they LOVE to build tunnels every chance they get! lol And on the back roads... the speed limit is only 80 kph. Not 100 kph like it is in Germany!

IF the Swiss Polizei catch you going faster than +40 kph, they can TAKE your car. Really, they can. And speeding just a few klicks over the speed limit can cost you dearly. I had one forum member tell me he was fined for going +3 kph over the speed limit on a Swiss Autobahn... and the ticket was 130 euros! That would be a 20 euro ticket in Germany. So just be carefull.

Also everything in Switzerland costs more. Much more. A hotel that would cost you 60 euros per night in Germany runs about 120 euros in Switzerland. Meals are also about double or triple the prices here in Germany(15 euros for schnitzel will cost you 45 euros in CH). Just FYI.

All that said... I love it in Switzerland. It is a clean and beautiful country. Its nice to stay for a day or two... but I am always happy to stay the next few nights in a neighboring country... or better yet drive all the way to my home a few hours away!

I take it you also know about purchasing the Swiss vignette(40 euros, good for one year) and Austrian vignettes(8 euros for ten days)?

take care,
Dackel
Appreciate 1
///M///1862.00
      07-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #22
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Dackelone I know exactly what you are talking about because you had given the same suggestion back in 2015 for my ED and I took your advise It was an amazing route

Day 4 of this thread

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1175723
HAH!! Brings back some great memories Artemis and I and the entire Euro 1Addicts gang have made - driving thru that area.

Even a lot of your photos I recognize the various sights and buildings. I just LOVE this part of Italy. I know Artemis does too.

Dackel
Appreciate 2
///M///1862.00
Artemis29294.50