Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

10-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
sunnyboy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 - SO/SS, 6MT

Garage List
Delay engage in MT downshift

Hey y'all 6MT fans

Been driving my M4 for about 1.75 months now and I am noticing a delay in the 6MT when downshifting in Efficient or Sport (with the audo rev match).

So, when I downshift from 4->3 or 3->2, the engine revs to the rpm to match while I put the car into gear, and then release the clutch. However, the gear does not engage for about 1-2 seconds. Then it engages and I feel the engine break. I am also stepping on the brake at the same time. Given this delay, couple times I had to actually brake more suddenly to not hit the car in front. I do not notice this in the Sport+ mode though (no auto rev match). Just wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

No I have not notice what you are experiencing.

Do you come to the meets? Maybe we can figure it out to see what your experiencing.

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
sunnyboy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
No I have not notice what you are experiencing.

Do you come to the meets? Maybe we can figure it out to see what your experiencing.
Thanks for the offer buddy.

I been wanting and meaning to come out to the weekly Thursday meets. Just that the last 2 Thursday's had been busy and difficult. Let me try and plan for next Thursday and seriously get my butt out there!!

When I do experience the delay, I would say going to 2nd gear at 55+ km/h and going to 3rd gear at 75+ km/h.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyboy View Post
Thanks for the offer buddy.

I been wanting and meaning to come out to the weekly Thursday meets. Just that the last 2 Thursday's had been busy and difficult. Let me try and plan for next Thursday and seriously get my butt out there!!

When I do experience the delay, I would say going to 2nd gear at 55+ km/h and going to 3rd gear at 75+ km/h.

Cheers.

Try to work it out, and let me know, and we will see whats what, and I am sure there will be others Ms there so we can all chat about it.

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
sunnyboy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
Try to work it out, and let me know, and we will see whats what, and I am sure there will be others Ms there so we can all chat about it.
Ok. I think I actually worked it out. I didn't think this was the issue but I notice if I release the clutch quickly/normally, the further delay does not happen.

So, context of the story, with other MT cars, there is no auto rev-match. So, what I do is release the clutch then stop/slowly release at point of engagement of the gear. This will smooth out the downshift and you won't get the "whiplash". However, with the M4 and the auto rev-match, if you do that, it does not engage till you release the clutch all the way. So, if you release the clutch like you would for upshifting, then the car engages normally and all is well.

So, the delay was more due to my previous style of driving.

Next question, and I know I asked this before, but what time do people meet at Heartland? La Paloma?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyboy View Post
Ok. I think I actually worked it out. I didn't think this was the issue but I notice if I release the clutch quickly/normally, the further delay does not happen.

So, context of the story, with other MT cars, there is no auto rev-match. So, what I do is release the clutch then stop/slowly release at point of engagement of the gear. This will smooth out the downshift and you won't get the "whiplash". However, with the M4 and the auto rev-match, if you do that, it does not engage till you release the clutch all the way. So, if you release the clutch like you would for upshifting, then the car engages normally and all is well.

So, the delay was more due to my previous style of driving.

Next question, and I know I asked this before, but what time do people meet at Heartland? La Paloma?
Excellent!

Heartland around 8 to 8:30pm depending on the weather La Paloma I'm not sure but someone should be able to answer that.

Appreciate 0