EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

03-31-2024, 06:03 PM   #1
Squints33
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 (F82)

Community Break/Fix Woes

Hey everyone, first time BMW owner. Just picked up a 2020 M4 (F82) with 57k miles on it. I’ve been doing a ton of research and seem to have identified a couple of definite headaches I’ll encounter soon so trying to plan for likely failures and understand cost/difficulty to replace.

From what I’ve read, the problem children seem to be:
Charge pipes
PCV Valve cover
Various hoses
Oil leaks (in true BMW fashion)

Is there anything I’m missing here I should be aware of or should maybe even consider proactively replacing?

My first step is to get a full inspection performed (probably in the next week) to understand the shape of the vehicle overall but want to see what all the folks who know more than me think.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 11:05 PM   #2
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

• Charge pipes are not a real issue unless you crank the tune up. I ran a tune on my first F82 for 80k on stock charge pipes without issue.
  • The top mount intercooler can start leaking internally. I have had it replaced twice on my first F82 (80k miles I put on it). This has been the main issue I have experienced.
  • The PCV can and will go bad. This is not a BMW only issue and is common with miles/age. The BMW high price point is that you need to replace the valve cover to do so is expensive. This happened around my 70k mark.
  • Hoses were never an issue on this platform.
  • Oil leaks also were never an issue. I do not use 0W-30 as this is rather thin. I have always used 5W-40 (three M cars and a couple of non M's at 50k+) and have never had an oil leak.
  • Spark plugs need to be changed every 30k and gapped properly. The stock plug gaps will vary which can cause misfire issues at stock power levels. Gap them accordingly and this will alleviate some potential self induced issues.
  • Outside of the above, this is a rather strong platform. Some will say the crank hub is a weak point, but I honestly feel it is overblown and also an issue on cars with a tune for big low-mid range torque.
Best of luck and enjoy. I prefer this platform to the F90 M5 which the wife drives. I like it so much I sold my first one (bought new and had for 80k) and bought lightly used CS.
Appreciate 3
      04-01-2024, 06:23 AM   #3
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Be sure to flush the power steering fluid. Red Line or OE is good.

The shop manager might give you an odd look when you request this service but just insist on it. And, be sure to send a sample to Blackstone for analysis.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2024, 06:40 AM   #4
Squints33
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post

The shop manager might give you an odd look when you request this service but just insist on it. And, be sure to send a sample to Blackstone for analysis.
How often should I flush it?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 06:42 AM   #5
Squints33
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropes View Post
Charge pipes are not a real issue unless you crank the tune up. I ran a tune on my first F82 for 80k on stock charge pipes without issue.
The top mount intercooler can start leaking internally. I have had it replaced twice on my first F82 (80k miles I put on it). This has been the main issue I have experienced.
The PCV can and will go bad. This is not a BMW only issue and is common with miles/age. The BMW high price point is that you need to replace the valve cover to do so is expensive. This happened around my 70k mark.
Hoses were never an issue on this platform.
Oil leaks also were never an issue. I do not use 0W-30 as this is rather thin. I have always used 5W-40 (three M cars and a couple of non M's at 50k+) and have never had an oil leak.
Spark plugs need to be changed every 30k and gapped properly. The stock plug gaps will vary which can cause misfire issues at stock power levels. Gap them accordingly and this will alleviate some potential self induced issues.
Outside of the above, this is a rather strong platform. Some will say the crank hub is a weak point, but I honestly feel it is overblown and also an issue on cars with a tune for big low-mid range torque.
Best of luck and enjoy. I prefer this platform to the F90 M5 which the wife drives. I like it so much I sold my first one (bought new and had for 80k) and bought lightly used CS.

Thanks! I fully intend to replace the charge pipes and intercooler with mishimoto parts so not as worried about that. Never would have thought about using a different oil. That never caused any issues?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 08:59 AM   #6
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This weight is fine and approved for the engine. You want to have LL-01 spec.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 04:45 PM   #7
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:

Power Steering Fluid...? You're joking right? This is sarcasm, right?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 06:05 PM   #8
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Power Steering Fluid...? You're joking right? This is sarcasm, right?
April Fool's Day. I think OP got it.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2024, 10:32 AM   #9
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
April Fool's Day. I think OP got it.
Oh boy. You got me.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 11:19 PM   #10
Zed519
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropes View Post
Charge pipes are not a real issue unless you crank the tune up. I ran a tune on my first F82 for 80k on stock charge pipes without issue.
The top mount intercooler can start leaking internally. I have had it replaced twice on my first F82 (80k miles I put on it). This has been the main issue I have experienced.
The PCV can and will go bad. This is not a BMW only issue and is common with miles/age. The BMW high price point is that you need to replace the valve cover to do so is expensive. This happened around my 70k mark.
Hoses were never an issue on this platform.
Oil leaks also were never an issue. I do not use 0W-30 as this is rather thin. I have always used 5W-40 (three M cars and a couple of non M's at 50k+) and have never had an oil leak.
Spark plugs need to be changed every 30k and gapped properly. The stock plug gaps will vary which can cause misfire issues at stock power levels. Gap them accordingly and this will alleviate some potential self induced issues.
Outside of the above, this is a rather strong platform. Some will say the crank hub is a weak point, but I honestly feel it is overblown and also an issue on cars with a tune for big low-mid range torque.
How can I test to see if my top mount intercooler is leaking or if my charge parks have a leak? Is it a DIY test?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 08:52 AM   #11
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You can tell if your top mount has a leak by opening the reservoir located behind it and noting the level. If it is low, you may have a leak. If it is not then you are still good. If it is low, add distilled water to the appropriate amount and then recheck the level in a few weeks. If the level is the same, you are fine. If it has dropped then you probably have a leak. Every time mine last one had this, there was a light coolant smell when I finished a drive and was walking past the front to go inside. I found I had to replace it about once every 40k.

The charge pipes will throw a code and I have never had an issue with them even tuned.
Appreciate 0