Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Closed Thread

07-18-2014, 02:37 AM   #67
Caelric
Banned
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
Who drives these off road only? M3/4 is a perfect street car.
The off-road is referring to the fact that the downpipes remove working smog emissions gear, thus making them illegal for street use. Most likely, it won't be noticed, and will still pass the sniffer test. An astute smog inspection station may do a visual, however, and if they see the downpipes, and realize they replaced catalytic convertors, they will fail you instantly. Unless you pass them the right amount of cash...

My guess, is that if you use these downpipes, AND replace the other cats in the exhaust system, you might have a chance of failing the sniffer test, as well. That's why I generally prefer high flow cats rather than straight pipes.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 06:21 AM   #68
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

I made doubly sure I got the hi-flo catted version of AR DPs on my e89 N54....it just sounds way too farty catless and I wanted the car to stay legal and eliminate any chance of it smelling. Even with catted it still sounds slightly raspy on full throttle but only when the exhaust system is cold. The total price for a twin set of AR Design catted downpipes was way less than $1350...USA handmade and finished etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #69
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plano View Post
But will this pass inspection (US)...?
In most states...no.
I don't understand why people in the US would put downpipes on if they don't have a tune for at least getting rid of the SES light for inspection. I learned that it's really not worth the headache of switching it back to stock and then back again after inspection. If there was a downpipe fix out then yeah... But there are non ... Still none for the n55!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #70
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzaro View Post
I made doubly sure I got the hi-flo catted version of AR DPs on my e89 N54....it just sounds way too farty catless and I wanted the car to stay legal and eliminate any chance of it smelling. Even with catted it still sounds slightly raspy on full throttle but only when the exhaust system is cold. The total price for a twin set of AR Design catted downpipes was way less than $1350...USA handmade and finished etc.
I wonder what the cell count is in these cats? if they are 200 cell, not sure how many gains will be made from HFC pipes.

gintani should be able to do a quick count from looking at the matrix in the OEM pipes. anyone know if this has been done?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #71
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slops View Post
I don't understand why people in the US would put downpipes on if they don't have a tune for at least getting rid of the SES light for inspection. I learned that it's really not worth the headache of switching it back to stock and then back again after inspection. If there was a downpipe fix out then yeah... But there are non ... Still none for the n55!
if you read the OP, not sure if its this thread or another one, seems like the job is very easy and only a 30 minute swap, so much easier than the n54/55 cars for whatever reason. that's a big bonus.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #72
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
In GA and probably some other states you don't need emissions on a car until it's 4 yrs old.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #73
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
if you read the OP, not sure if its this thread or another one, seems like the job is very easy and only a 30 minute swap, so much easier than the n54/55 cars for whatever reason. that's a big bonus.
That is a really fast swap... but given that you'd probably have to take it to a high end shop and do it twice every time will be a real hassle and an ongoing expense. I even started looking for a guy i could pay off because i didn't want to keep messing with the O2 sensors etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
In GA and probably some other states you don't need emissions on a car until it's 4 yrs old.
States like mine [PA], and probably why it doesn't appeal to me with out a fix... is that i have to do it every year! Even on a new car but i guess thats how we keep the economy going.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #74
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That is a really fast swap... but given that you'd probably have to take it to a high end shop and do it twice every time will be a real hassle and an ongoing expense. I even started looking for a guy i could pay off because i didn't want to keep messing with the O2 sensors etc.

States like mine [PA], and probably why it doesn't appeal to me with out a fix... is that i have to do it every year! Even on a new car but i guess thats how we keep the economy going.
same in texas

and I agree with you, I wont be adding catless DP to this car. much less for emissions reasons as with dealer reasons. here in texas they will F*CK you over for anything they can, so no chance im gonna mess with that.

not to mention that the sound is all jacked up and raspy without adding additional resonators, so that adds more mods and on and on and on.....
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #75
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sound aside, it's illegal for a dealership to refuse warranty work because of an aftermarket modification unless they can prove beyond reasonable doubt that that mod caused the issue. If a dealership gives you crap for something like this, go somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #76
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:

Yeah we have to do it every year after it's 4yrs old. I guess they figure there is no reason for a new car to have emissions issues. They must not anticipate people ripping stuff off the car lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #77
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBMWBrian View Post
Sound aside, it's illegal for a dealership to refuse warranty work because of an aftermarket modification unless they can prove beyond reasonable doubt that that mod caused the issue. If a dealership gives you crap for something like this, go somewhere else.
doesn't matter in reality. they will deny your claim and what are you going to do about it? hire a lawyer? take them to court?

everyone says this, but its a lot different when the dealer flat out refuses warranty.

no dealers in our area are even remotely friendly towards mods, nor do I expect them to be.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #78
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
It is perfectly legal especially an illegal modification even under the Magnuson act. The owners/service manual also states that they can void your warranty if you modify the vehical making it legal to do so under the magnuson act. When you purchase the vehical you agree to these terms Repairing and modifying are different.

Last edited by David1; 07-18-2014 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #79
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Quote:
unless they red flag your car..
      07-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #80
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

#td1 lolol hated Audi for that
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:25 PM   #81
supergoji
Performance nutcase
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300zx TT / 94 Supra TT

exhaust looks amazing.

price needs work though.

those are for the 300zx twin turbo, they cost $695 and they are made in USA.
made by fast intentions I believe.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:34 PM   #82
monkawekrue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25 X3 AW

Garage List
nice numbers.
      07-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #83
Caelric
Banned
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
That is a really fast swap... but given that you'd probably have to take it to a high end shop and do it twice every time will be a real hassle and an ongoing expense.
Or do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:51 PM   #84
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergoji View Post
exhaust looks amazing.

price needs work though.

those are for the 300zx twin turbo, they cost $695 and they are made in USA.
made by fast intentions I believe.
Very nice looking parts. Suppliers will change what they think will maximize total profit. That makes for the eternal "BMW tax" on parts like these. Of course, that being said, don't mistake me for one that doesn't support capitalism...
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #85
Redrckt135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5 & 17 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio
Who drives these off road only? M3/4 is a perfect street car.
That wasn't a serious Comment right?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #86
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F Type R

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
LOL measuring the lowest points of the stock HP and TQ curves and the highest peaks of the down pipes.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #87
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

My AR DPs are black ceramic coated with the high flow cats - I love them. I think they were about $1k. No lights are thrown, power is up, and sound is really good.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #88
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelric
Quote:
That is a really fast swap... but given that you'd probably have to take it to a high end shop and do it twice every time will be a real hassle and an ongoing expense.
Or do it yourself.
I've done it myself twice ... And the conclusion was to just pay somebody going forward
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread