Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-16-2017, 09:06 AM   #111
Andym3100k
Captain
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC FULL HAMMAN WIDE BO

Hi Guys, can I know whether anyone getting this fault code after the Stage 2 flash? (194604 tank leakage modules, Electrically: linebreak) which cannot be deleted off
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 09:11 AM   #112
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
I would be interested to find out of the HEX tune has solved the throttle blade closures at WOT, particularly in the 2015 and Non-ZCP cars. We all know that BM3 has resolved this horrible tuning flaw from the factory but if VF has not solved it in their tune, its going to be a far worse tune than BM3 by a long ways. This does not even consider the total lack of features it offers along with its materially higher price tag.

To each his own I guess.
Easy to resolve it. Start tuning off the ZCP tune as base I wonder if this is what BM3 does now?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 09:15 AM   #113
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym3100k View Post
Hi Guys, can I know whether anyone getting this fault code after the Stage 2 flash? (194604 tank leakage modules, Electrically: linebreak) which cannot be deleted off
Andy, you got mail its DMTL pump (i.e. emissions) related
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #114
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Andy, you got mail its DMTL pump (i.e. emissions) related
emailed you guys about the updated GTS burbles
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 04:36 PM   #115
F82K2S0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: IOMG G82/MG F82/AW E92

I was under the impression that both VF/hex and BM3 are basically the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #116
paikman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS, R33 GTR, MK7.5 GTI

Random for this thread but , is there anything being worked for torque management for manual cars ?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 04:30 PM   #117
Mantvis
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 YMB M3

I just want them burbles ;(
      01-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #118
1FastS4
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S3 & 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowF32 View Post
This has to be one of the coolest features of BM3. It allows the "client" complete freedom. I'm running BM3 maps and Enzo Racing maps too and I don't have to make a drive to a vendor every time I wanna switch between them. Just open up the Bootmod3 app and two minutes later I can be on the road with any flash I want.
There's no reason to go back to anywhere. Once the ECU is unlocked HEX Tuning offers full OBDII MAP switching.

No WiFi or cloud connectivity required either so you can do it track side in the middle of the desert if you needed to. The program switching takes 2 - 3 minutes and you're back on the road. I drive to the track in Stage 1, fill up with Race Fuel and switch to Stage 2+, then run a track day and switch back to Stage 1 for the drive home, then switch it back to Stock before my next service appointment, and then run their Features Only file when my wife wants to drive it. That's 4 MAP switches over a hypothetical 3 day weekend and covers every base I need!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #119
1FastS4
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_ View Post
Endless possibilities man. It's amazing utilizing other tuners maps.

In the last month alone what PTF has done with the agent software, new agent runner, ability to update the agent now with just the app is just jaw dropping.

I have a lot of respect for these tuners and the time it goes into providing what we want. There's room to grow even further, hey if VF wanted to there's room on my agent for one of their maps I'm game if they want to work with PTF, I know PTF will work with any Tuner. Send it on over...
Quote:

In the last month alone what PTF has done with the agent software, new agent runner, ability to update the agent now with just the app is just jaw dropping.

I have a lot of respect for these tuners and the time it goes into providing what we want. There's room to grow even further, hey if VF wanted to there's room on my agent for one of their maps I'm game if they want to work with PTF, I know PTF will work with any Tuner. Send it on over...
Other tuners maps aren't free, so how much do you have to pay ACF or Enzo?

And at that point are they custom tuning your car on the dyno, or are they just sending you their OTS shelf file that you then need to data log and make sure it's good?

My point is that any price savings up front with BM3 is negated once you start going custom, and anyone who thinks trial and error tuning by datslogging on the street is the way to go will be in for a rude awakening when a 91 Octane Stage 1 file runs away from them.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #120
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Let me see, 595 for bm3 includes the full platform and a map. Everything you need to custom tune, logging, diagnostics, charting, FREEDOM to work with any tuner anywhere on the PLANET, even do your own tuning if you like and last but certainly not least resale value. Flash and forget if you like with their OTS maps that have shown to perform strong on many cars already and its 595 done. VF is correct me if I'm wrong 895 and cable is 300, so 1195 if you want map switching ability on VF only provided maps. 600 difference and you have no map to switch to yet. None of it is the same at all!
Appreciate 3
Jadar1750.50
FSociety3810.00
      01-24-2017, 05:05 PM   #121
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastS4 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Other tuners maps aren't free, so how much do you have to pay ACF or Enzo?

And at that point are they custom tuning your car on the dyno, or are they just sending you their OTS shelf file that you then need to data log and make sure it's good?

My point is that any price savings up front with BM3 is negated once you start going custom, and anyone who thinks trial and error tuning by datslogging on the street is the way to go will be in for a rude awakening when a 91 Octane Stage 1 file runs away from them.
I'm not sure what Enzo charges anymore but my ACF map I've had for quite a while, I just transferred it over to the agent. And I'm very good friends with Alex@ACF so I'll just use the word I'm privileged to a lot of extras .

I really can't and shouldn't get into cost savings aspect of tuning but bm3 is very competitive.

Regardless however the road I took and I like to try new things,

I've had
1.jb4
2. Enzo bench flash
3. ACF custom dyno flash (current)
4.Bm3 map (current)

Not the cheaper route by any means but I've enjoyed trying different things.

And as far as one is better than the other I don't think I read one comment that said VF map is not good. I've seen dynos I've seen some runs it looks very legit and the cars are fast. I think you're missing the mark in some ways as the tuning platform is the discussion and bm3 very well for 1/2 the price and it provides more options.
      01-24-2017, 05:22 PM   #122
1FastS4
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Let me see, 595 for bm3 includes the full platform and a map. Everything you need to custom tune, logging, diagnostics, charting, FREEDOM to work with any tuner anywhere on the PLANET, even do your own tuning if you like and last but certainly not least resale value. Flash and forget if you like with their OTS maps that have shown to perform strong on many cars already and its 595 done. VF is correct me if I'm wrong 895 and cable is 300, so 1195 if you want map switching ability on VF only provided maps. 600 difference and you have no map to switch to yet. None of it is the same at all!
Not apples to apples by any means, but I guess that's probably your point.

Every feature you've described for BM3 either requires additional cost, additional time & effort, or both. Custom tuning isn't free and data logging is a chore. And still neither of those features guarantees better results.

If you want the lower priced tune using an off the shelf file then there's no doubt BM3 is the cheapest option. If you want a custom tune that will surpass what HEX is already offering then it will cost you more.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #123
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Not apples to apples by any means, but I guess that's probably your point.

Every feature you've described for BM3 either requires additional cost, additional time & effort, or both. Custom tuning isn't free and data logging is a chore. And still neither of those features guarantees better results.

If you want the lower priced tune using an off the shelf file then there's no doubt BM3 is the cheapest option. If you want a custom tune that will surpass what HEX is already offering then it will cost you more.
Ok let me further break this down for you. VF is 1195, flash and forget, with a cable to switch to any map you can obtain only from VF, if they have it already made. Get 3 additional VF maps, as you mentioned 4, you're another 4-500 on top so 1595-1695 right?

BM3 is 595 with all its features, including DCT transmission flash, and cable is 10-20, so all in 605-615. Get 3 additional BM3 S55 OTS maps at 100/pop if you wanted to (makes no sense by the way at all when you can go custom for 300) you're at 895 with either 4 OTS maps or 1 OTS and 1 fully custom to what you need. So for the price of all BM3 features, convenience of an iPhone or Android app, resale value and power that is second to none you're telling me VF's Stage 1 flash and forget file is somehow a better option? I'd love to have you defend me in court.
Appreciate 2
FSociety3810.00
      01-24-2017, 07:39 PM   #124
1FastS4
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Ok let me further break this down for you. VF is 1195, flash and forget, with a cable to switch to any map you can obtain only from VF, if they have it already made. Get 3 additional VF maps, as you mentioned 4, you're another 4-500 on top so 1595-1695 right?

BM3 is 595 with all its features, including DCT transmission flash, and cable is 10-20, so all in 605-615. Get 3 additional BM3 S55 OTS maps at 100/pop if you wanted to (makes no sense by the way at all when you can go custom for 300) you're at 895 with either 4 OTS maps or 1 OTS and 1 fully custom to what you need. So for the price of all BM3 features, convenience of an iPhone or Android app, resale value and power that is second to none you're telling me VF's Stage 1 flash and forget file is somehow a better option? I'd love to have you defend me in court.

Your argument could also be used for why I should by a fully optioned 4-series over a base model M4. Options, options, options, get more for less, yada, yada, yada. Some people just don't base their priorities that way. I don't mind paying more to have more of what I actually want and less of what I don't need.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #125
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Your argument could also be used for why I should by a fully optioned 4-series over a base model M4. Options, options, options, get more for less, yada, yada, yada. Some people just don't base their priorities that way. I don't mind paying more to have more of what I actually want and less of what I don't need.
"Less is more", its finally coming together. I see the light.
Appreciate 3
FSociety3810.00
Jadar1750.50
slowF3278.50
      01-24-2017, 10:41 PM   #126
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowF32 View Post
This has to be one of the coolest features of BM3. It allows the "client" complete freedom. I'm running BM3 maps and Enzo Racing maps too and I don't have to make a drive to a vendor every time I wanna switch between them. Just open up the Bootmod3 app and two minutes later I can be on the road with any flash I want.
Exactly!
Dejan_ +1 on your post too sorry there were too many but exactly what it is.

Quote:
Ok let me further break this down for you. VF is
1195, flash and forget, with a cable to switch to any map you can obtain only from VF, if they have it already made. Get 3 additional VF maps, as you mentioned 4, you're another 4-500 on top so 1595-1695 right?

BM3 ftw!

Quote:
"Less is more", its finally coming together. I see the light.
Less is more, they just dont get it.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
Jadar1750.50
      01-25-2017, 12:05 AM   #127
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

I just want some burbles. i wish bmw would make that an opition thru their dealers i would pay big money
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 12:34 AM   #128
slowF32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
I just want some burbles. i wish bmw would make that an opition thru their dealers i would pay big money
Why pay BMW big money?

BM3 OTS maps include burbles, I'm sure they would be fine making you a stock map with just burbles if that's what you're looking for.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      01-25-2017, 12:42 AM   #129
slowF32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:

I'm still not seeing how you're getting more of anything with VF in this case.

Your philosophy would make sense if VF was like an M4 and BM3 was like a loaded 4 series, but BM3 has happy customers running their OTS maps with the exact same "flash and forget" mentality so what exactly is VF offering if BM3 is proving to be just as reliable and refined?

But hey, if paying more really gives you that feeling of security, I bet PTF could work out a price that works for you.
Appreciate 2
Jadar1750.50
FSociety3810.00
      01-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #130
1FastS4
Banned
Rep

Maybe it's because the HEX Software has been available for significantly longer than BM3, but their dynos present better power, they have some of the quickest cars in the country on stock turbos and pump gas, and their GTS burble sounds and functions closer to the actual GTS.

So yeah, I'll double down on my opinion that OTS vs. OTS, is like an optioned out 4-series vs. an M4 because as least for now HEX is outperforming. That to me is Less features that I don't need and More power off the shelf.
Appreciate 1
alz0rz450.00
      01-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #131
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe it's because the HEX Software has been available for significantly longer than BM3, but their dynos present better power, they have some of the quickest cars in the country on stock turbos and pump gas, and their GTS burble sounds and functions closer to the actual GTS.

So yeah, I'll double down on my opinion that OTS vs. OTS, is like an optioned out 4-series vs. an M4 because as least for now HEX is outperforming. That to me is Less features that I don't need and More power off the shelf.
This.

Back to the point that not everyone cares for the 'extra' features that the Bootmod3 tune offers (seriously, why the hell would I care that my tuning device has access to the cloud?). It has it's value to the hardcore folks, I'm sure, but for the folks that just want good CONSISTENT power without worrying about anything else - HEX is where its at. For a slight premium, sure, but an better overall product usually commands a higher price for these obvious reasons.

PS: In my opinion, the BM3 burbles sound like sh!t compared to the GTS/ZCP/VF HEX OTS burbles and I don't want to tinker with the tune to get the sound I want, much less send engine maps back and forth to someone increasing the probability of error.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #132
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Burble with an aftermarket exhaust:

Burble with a stock exhaust (stock downpipes/stock rear section):

S55 E85 beta map in testing stock turbos vs FBO GTR:

S55 E85 beta map in testing, M6 Stage 2 tune (another tuner);

Stage 1 OTS on 93, stock car with a K&N drop-in panel filter:

Pure Stage 2, FBO, clutch upgrades, full E85 with PI injection, BM3 backend flash and JB4 vs Tuned C7 Z06:

Above on the dyno:

Above Pure Stage 2 car vs. BPM tuned F10 M5:

Above Pure Stage 2 car at 1/2 mile: 172.8mph:

Stock turbos, OTS Stage 2 on 93 octane with just downpipes:

Stock turbos, custom tune, M4 60-130mph@7.1secs:

Work on bootmod3 development started in October 2015 when we had the flash tunes ready to go on sale. Instead, we wanted to do something different and decided to build out bootmod3. Closed beta testing went on for a long while, then public beta and the followed by a public release.

We're here to help answer any questions as they relate to bootmod3 or the topic of this thread. @VF-Engineering, you have a great product, all the best. Please stay out of our threads.

Appreciate 4
Jadar1750.50
FSociety3810.00
slowF3278.50