Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-20-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
sgroer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 - YMB

Dinan Signature package installed on my YMB M4

Let me start by saying that i know there are Dinan haters out there - that say you don't get a bang for the buck, the tunes are weak, the exhausts are anemic, and it's all marketing.

I'm getting old. (39). Life is getting more complex by the day with kids and a wife and dogs, house, boat, job, etc, etc, etc. I believe I am the target demographic for Dinan. Enthusiasts who want a refined, complete package with no interest in starring in the next episode of warranty wars. I have absolutely no interest in dealing with shenanigans when I take the car in for service - removing tunes, sending my SA some wine and a couple hundreds each quarter, or any other headaches associated with modifying cars.

As background, I've modified every car I've ever owned in some form or fashion - from a heavily modified Passat 1.8T, to a couple Audis (V10 S6, B8.5 S4), to a 2014 911 Carrera S, and then a 2014 911 GT3. Modifying cars is fun and a passion, but almost always, there's an issue somewhere along the line -

This is the first time i've ever done something like this - drop the car off, and get it back with everything I plan to do to it already done, in one fell swoop.

So - on to the review.

First - What was I hoping for: More power, better sound, less squat and dive, and better traction. I'll review each component one by one:

1) Suspension - Extremely comfortable - found myself still very much enjoying Sport+ suspension setting and the car is not as bouncy as OEM. Not once did I notice the suspension being uncomfortable. Handling is much better, body roll is reduced and the car feels more controlled and neutral. It is omewhat firmer, but not at all uncomfortable. It feels like the car gets the power down to the pavement much better than before. I am absolutely thrilled with the suspension - a perfect balance between performance and comfort. And due to it helping with the car control, I highly recommend getting it (or some other) along with the other stuff. I went with an extremely mild .5 inch drop to maintain ride quality and easy to navigate, non scraping DD attributes.

2) Intake - No idea in terms of performance gain, but the sound is awesome. Not intrusive when coasting around, but that air sucking sound and turbo spool when you are on it is definitely there. It's a background sound, as it should be but it makes you smile, IMO a perfect sound level. The fit and finish of the CF intake in the engine bay is top shelf - it looks AWESOME installed.

3) Exhaust - It's OK. Overall pleased with it. But it's probably the one mild disappointment of the setup. Sounds better, has a really good low growl on decel / coasting. Sounds great at idle, lawn mower sound is gone gone gone. At WOT as the car winds up, it's frickin impressive. I just wish it was a little louder and more aggressive. At the same time, i am not a teenager and I totally appreciate that it's a more reserved but aggressive option. I love the sound, just wish there was a little more of it. Something tells me I would have liked the AWE better and I knew that before I went the Dinan route, but I really wanted the full Dinan package for reasons stated above.

4) Tune - There are many who say JB4 is awesome and the obvious choice (for many it is) and others say that Dinan is weenie, and a waste. The car is an animal. Pulls like a bull on steroids, shot in the ass with a dart with its horns on fire. Midrange pull is much more intense and the engine is more alive and alert. It's not more difficult to control at all. Still super easy to drive, but the horsepower headroom when you want it is really stunning. Turbo lag is reduced, the car pulls all the way to redline and doesn't let off. I cannot believe the power. I am so happy with the Stage 2 tune. Very linear and smooth in power delivery, and just miles better than OEM in every way.

So overall, I am absolutely thrilled - to the moon and back. I had already said that the M4 is my favorite of every car I've ever owned. I couldn't imagine significant improvements. And on other cars, with every mod I've ever done, I've found that there is a downside. I can honestly say that other than the roughly $10K lighter my bank account is - there are no downsides. It's perfect. Incredible. And I am one really happy Dinan customer!!!

Pics coming...

Mods thus far (in under 900 miles!)
Vorsteiner V-FF 103
Bavsound
M- Performance - Splitters, front lip, carbon mirror caps, side skirts, rear diffuser (chinese E-bay), rear spoiler
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan intake
Dinan Stage 2 tune
Dinan "Coilover" suspension

The car is really coming together!

Sean

Last edited by sgroer; 07-20-2015 at 11:41 PM..
Appreciate 17
      07-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #2
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Great review, thanks. I can totally appreciate where you're coming from, especially after two highly modified, supercharged e92 m3's... Will I take the Dinan route with the f80? Not sure yet, but it's definitely a consideration.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

The dealer can still void your BMW warranty with Dinan installed. You just now have Dinans warranty. I hope you at least got a good discount off MSRP on it all.

Grats on the car and the upgrades. I see youre local maybe we will run into each other.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
sgroer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
The dealer can still void your BMW warranty with Dinan installed. You just now have Dinans warranty. I hope you at least got a good discount off MSRP on it all.

Grats on the car and the upgrades. I see youre local maybe we will run into each other.
Yes - But either way with all Dinan components, I don't expect any major run ins. But... it's still a modified car an you never know!

I spend most of my time in the perimeter / sandy springs and roswell parts of town. And track days at both Road Atlanta and AMP.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #5
Thanh386
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F82

Who was your installer/tuner?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
sgroer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanh386 View Post
Who was your installer/tuner?
Performing Imports in Roswell. I was extremely pleased with them. Great communication and attention to detail - making sure ride heights were set right, and just a focus on customer service. They are BMW fanatics. Owner has an 800 HP F10 M5.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #7
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Congrats on the Signature Package!!

So... you got pics of what everything looks like now??

Would love to see.

also if you can record and post a couple vid clips.. That would be awesome!!

Everything sounds Great other that AWE or MPE still may be the way to go as far as exhaust sound is concerned.. You may have caught some flack from Dinan with AWE exhaust or another aftermarket exhaust but im sure there is nothing they could really say had you chosen the M performance Exhaust..
      07-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
sgroer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOmega4 View Post
Congrats on the Signature Package!!

So... you got pics of what everything looks like now??

Would love to see.

also if you can record and post a couple vid clips.. That would be awesome!!

Everything sounds Great other that AWE or MPE still may be the way to go as far as exhaust sound is concerned.. You may have caught some flack from Dinan with AWE exhaust or another aftermarket exhaust but im sure there is nothing they could really say had you chosen the M performance Exhaust..
Yeah - pics and vids coming. Probably tomorrow. The Dinan exhaust is good. But I do believe there are better options out there if all you want is an exhaust. However, the comfort I get from the full package (both in terms of warranty issues and a feel of it all being unified) outweighs it. MPE seemed too pricey.

Not disappointed at all!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #9
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Completely agree with you op. I'd just prefer other exhaust options though.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #10
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgroer View Post
So overall, I am absolutely thrilled - to the moon and back.
Glad you are pleased with the overall package. The more you drive it the more you will fall in love. I can guarantee that. The Dinan M4 is quickly rising on my list of my favorite Dinan cars I have driven although the software tuned 550i is still my favorite to date. That thing was just a nightmarish beast. Fun and scary at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #11
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

OP,
Nice report, and I look forward to the rest.
Enjoy

PS, oh yeah quick question, are you running DCT or an MT? Like hearing the car is better planted than it was stock. DCT in these cars with more power can be tricky, glad to hear Dinan has it dialed in.

Last edited by shortseller; 07-20-2015 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 05:54 PM   #12
sgroer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
OP,
Nice report, and I look forward to the rest.
Enjoy

PS, oh yeah quick question, are you running DCT or a MT? Like hearing the car is better planted that it was stock. DCT in these cars with more power can be tricky, glad to hear Dinan has it dialed in.
DCT!

Thanks - Just went out for another drive. It's perfect!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 05:59 PM   #13
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

awesome list of mods! Looking forward to the pics

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #14
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Nice! I like the Dinan "coil overs" and the exhaust is nice from an aesthetics POV.. based on reviews here it seems like it's good, just needs more oomph. I'm considering both at the moment.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #15
cays
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Germans

Yeah, nice report, thanks. This review is exactly what I was looking for.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 09:16 PM   #16
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Great review - I'll stay tuned for the pics!
      07-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #17
rmedeir1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW MW M4 - MPE, CCBs, all CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgroer View Post
1) Suspension - Extremely comfortable - found myself still very much enjoying Sport+ suspension setting and the car is not as bouncy as OEM. Not once did I notice the suspension being uncomfortable. Handling is much better, body roll is reduced and the car feels more controlled and neutral. It is omewhat firmer, but not at all uncomfortable. It feels like the car gets the power down to the pavement much better than before. I am absolutely thrilled with the suspension - a perfect balance between performance and comfort. And due to it helping with the car control, I highly recommend getting it (or some other) along with the other stuff. I went with an extremely mild .5 inch drop to maintain ride quality and easy to navigate, non scraping DD attributes.

Sean
How does the car do in clearing speed bumps with the drop and the MPerf lip? This is my biggest concern in dropping the car at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 10:03 PM   #18
M4 away
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Nice and congrats. Dinan always produce a quality product. I have never had any issue with their stuff.

Have you considered their Sway Bars and adjustable Toe links? They are on my list.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #19
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmedeir1 View Post
How does the car do in clearing speed bumps with the drop and the MPerf lip? This is my biggest concern in dropping the car at all.
I scrape occasionally and I'm not lowered. I would think even with a modest drop you will have a lot of problems.

I have been debating the intake and stage 2 tune(already have stage 1). It's just so much money for what essentially slightly better sound and way better looks. Though I don't lift the hood like ever. lol

Congrats though.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 10:45 PM   #20
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I wish folks would at least stop with the b.s about di and superior smoothness and drivability. I've had 2 piggy and both had stock smoothnes.

You paid more for minimal improvements with your own money for your own reasons so who cares about what folks think I agree
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2015, 10:47 PM   #21
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

I don't know, I had a Cobb tuner on my 335 and it was definitely not smooth or even near stock power delivery. I of course loved the power, but the delivery got a little old.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 11:19 PM   #22
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Well smooth and power delivery are different. Of course adding huge power will change delivery. Also you are not talking the f80 here .
Appreciate 0