EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-23-2015, 05:58 AM   #67
6speeds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

About 4months ago went to dealership they had 4 loaded M3s all automatics ready to take home and if I wanted a manual I had to place an order and wait a few months..well I'm glad I resisted and waited for a manual and was rewarded with the best driving Experience I ever had it's the perfect combo for these new M cars...I feel Autos should only be offered in regular 3 and 4 series.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #68
HOUSE Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

#savethemanuals !!!

With the shift in trends recently, I think going forward it will be harder and harder to find cars equipped with manual transmissions - especially the ones we care about. There was a article on Jalopnik recently showing how few cars are still available in manual trans and it was honestly kind of shocking --

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/eve...day-1688229050
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #69
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

I love the way so many people come out and say what a POS the manual in an E92 is. Of course, very few made the confession when it was the current M3. I bought the M3 specifically to get back into a nice manual BMW and boy was it disappointing. Couldn't stand it. Mushy clutch, way too light and a horrible gear shift that managed to grind into 2nd way too often. Glad to hear the latest generation is on target. May get me back into it after all.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #70
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
I love the way so many people come out and say what a POS the manual in an E92 is. Of course, very few made the confession when it was the current M3. I bought the M3 specifically to get back into a nice manual BMW and boy was it disappointing. Couldn't stand it. Mushy clutch, way too light and a horrible gear shift that managed to grind into 2nd way too often. Glad to hear the latest generation is on target. May get me back into it after all.
Right here. I said when it was unpopular. I complained about my e92 M3 manual to anyone that would listen! Rubbery shifts, long throws, imprecise gates and just not suitable for such a big engine IMO. Of course, being an internet car forum, folks here said I was trolling. Yeah, ok.

For that matter, I was displeased with the whole car. It felt heavy, poor torque , poor tank range and in the manual tramission, not nearly as fast as the DCT. The e90/92 is much better suited with the DCT. You really have to rev the heck out of it to ring out the power. Not a great daily driver by most definitions. I sold it after 6 short months.

I will caution you however that almost all BMW MT's which I have owned (and there have been many of them), grind in second gear. They feel great at first, which is perhaps why owners here are reporting the "night and day" differences. But given enough miles, they start grinding again. If I recall correctly, this problem can be rectified by deleting the clutch delay valve. Easy $20 mod. Not sure if this is applicable to the f80, as I heard it is a bit more complex.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 09:50 PM   #71
//Maniac
Enzo Tuned ECU
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 6MT

Best part about my car is the 3rd pedal! happens to be a huge bonus that its free too! i am hanging on to 6mt's as long as I live!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 02:10 AM   #72
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Right here. I said when it was unpopular. I complained about my e92 M3 manual to anyone that would listen! Rubbery shifts, long throws, imprecise gates and just not suitable for such a big engine IMO. Of course, being an internet car forum, folks here said I was trolling. Yeah, ok.

For that matter, I was displeased with the whole car. It felt heavy, poor torque , poor tank range and in the manual tramission, not nearly as fast as the DCT. The e90/92 is much better suited with the DCT. You really have to rev the heck out of it to ring out the power. Not a great daily driver by most definitions. I sold it after 6 short months.

I will caution you however that almost all BMW MT's which I have owned (and there have been many of them), grind in second gear. They feel great at first, which is perhaps why owners here are reporting the "night and day" differences. But given enough miles, they start grinding again. If I recall correctly, this problem can be rectified by deleting the clutch delay valve. Easy $20 mod. Not sure if this is applicable to the f80, as I heard it is a bit more complex.

I hate that grind. You just cant shift fast into 2nd with the E9X 6MT M3's. I was hoping that would have been fixed this time around. Sounds like its not?
      03-01-2015, 02:57 AM   #73
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
I hate that grind. You just cant shift fast into 2nd with the E9X 6MT M3's. I was hoping that would have been fixed this time around. Sounds like its not?
6k miles and not a single grind here.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 06:28 AM   #74
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by carholic View Post
So much better than letting a robot drive your car. I would get an automatic or DCT or PDK if I were racing and need to shave a second or two off a lap, or if I am drag racing with someone from light to light for money, but otherwise I will take a manual any day. More fun and you can control the speed of engagement and disengagement of the clutch with your left foot. Can't do that with any DCT or PDK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik3ymomo View Post
^ Joe states it nicely here. But would like to add that while the DCT will be superior and provide more consistent performance. Nothing is as rewarding as getting a nice lap time or 1/4 mile time knowing that you pulled that off yourself.

The fun for me is in the challenge.

If I drove a DCT it would feel more like "look at what the car did" instead of "look at what I did. .
I debated the MT vs the DCT. I decided on the DCT because I wanted a robot car that drives itself. I get 50 track days per year with the Lime Rock Drivers Club and now that I have a DCT I can just sit in the passenger seat and do hot laps while the car drives itself around the track. Or if I am busy and can't make a track day I can just send the car to the track by itself.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #75
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I debated the MT vs the DCT. I decided on the DCT because I wanted a robot car that drives itself. I get 50 track days per year with the Lime Rock Drivers Club and now that I have a DCT I can just sit in the passenger seat and do hot laps while the car drives itself around the track. Or if I am busy and can't make a track day I can just send the car to the track by itself.

CA
Ok that is some funny stuff right there!!!

Does the DCT help write your jokes too? Damn worth every penny of the $2,900 price tag!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #76
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
6k miles and not a single grind here.

6k miles is nothing. It is probably a non-issue for those of us who lease, for that matter (i.e., myself). It becomes more pronounced past 20-30k miles. I've witnessed this phenomenon on all mileage spectrums, and it certainly is worse and more pronounced in higher mileage cars. I've had a brand new f30 with 5 miles, 12k mile f30 CPO, lease takeover e92 M3 with 20k miles, used e90 330i with 70k miles and drove it to 110k, and a 180k e46 330xi. All with the first second gear grind. Some better than others, to varying degrees, usually based on mileage.

The CDV delete (clutch delay valve) on my e90 helped smooth things out a bit, but failed to eliminate the problem as was promised. But an improvement nonetheless.

Now, I'm not comparing a brand new f80 gear box to that of a 12 year old e46 with 180,000 miles. But the point I'm trying to make is given enough miles, I do not expecting the MT in my f80 to behave any different.

I don't know why this happens. I am not sure why BMW have not addressed this issue, or whether it is in fact by design. But in my experience, all of these cars had the 1st 2nd rough shift. The transmissions in the newer BMWs have definitely improved. The 6MT in my 335i f30 for example, was the best by far. The e92 M3, the worst.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #77
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

I'm curious how the 1 Series M is holding up with higher mileage. That'd give good insight into how the F8x 6MT will hold up over time.
      03-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #78
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Its kind of crazy reading this thread because back in the e9x M days literally everyone always complained how bad the 6mt was (my e90M was bad as well, got used to it) and everyone complained about the same things; really notchy 1-2 shift and a rubbery feeling in the shifter. It was really bad...

It seems like bmw improved the F8x M transmission tenfolds seeing that there isn't ONE person to complain about it!! Great news but I wish the dealers here in SoCal had one to drive!!
      03-03-2015, 06:50 PM   #79
Chadfugi
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2015 ///M4 MG, SO Fully Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er
Man o man...y'all are making me very happy right now with my 6MT choice .
+1 it's it the end of April yet ???? #savethemanuals
      03-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #80
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I ordered 6MT. Can't wait.
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #81
diamondsbylauren
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 CV

Garage List
6MT was my first deal breaker when shopping this time around
I came out of a 335is with the dct.
I'm a manual guy, but I wanted to give he DCT a try
It is fast and effortless. And cool. And boring.
The MT in the F82 is so sweet.
Especially in city driving, where sometimes holding a gear makes things far more entertaining. Like driving 45-50 in 3rd gear.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 10:47 PM   #82
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Club 6MT here too! I almost ... almost got the DCT. It was a tough decision. I drove an f82 6MT and DCT back to back, just to rule out the DCT and get it out of my system. Well, that test drive left me seriously confused for a few days. The DCT is seriously quick, smooth and just an excellent transmisson. Noticeably more sporty than the ZF8 I had on my f30 335i, which I thought was already phenomenal.

But, needless to say. What stood out most to me and what sold me was the down shift rev match on the manual. So cool! I can still hear it ringing in my ears. That's what sealed the deal for me. That's what I want! That's what makes me happy. That's what makes it all worth it for me. So ... That's what I got!

And now I'm proud to be one more vote in favor of keeping the MT option alive!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 10:53 PM   #83
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

This may sound really weird but it was too smooth [soft] for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #84
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
Its kind of crazy reading this thread because back in the e9x M days literally everyone always complained how bad the 6mt was (my e90M was bad as well, got used to it) and everyone complained about the same things; really notchy 1-2 shift and a rubbery feeling in the shifter. It was really bad...

It seems like bmw improved the F8x M transmission tenfolds seeing that there isn't ONE person to complain about it!! Great news but I wish the dealers here in SoCal had one to drive!!
Actually, I complained a bit about my 6MT. It's not bad, but it was not as fantastic as people were making it out to be. It's better than my 335is but flexier feeling than my E60 535i manual which felt really good - solid shifter, positive engagement, etc.

As for test driving a 6MT, I did it right in your backyard at Irvine BMW and leased the car on the spot.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:01 PM   #85
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-100 ninja real quick View Post
This may sound really weird but it was too smooth [soft] for me.
Exactly! It needs to feel more notchy and solid. Has to have that positive click-click as you move from gear to gear.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:05 PM   #86
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Exactly! It needs to feel more notchy and solid. Has to have that positive click-click as you move from gear to gear.
Wooooow I thought I was the only one.

Like ------- I want a MT GT2 or something.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:54 PM   #87
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
What stood out most to me and what sold me was the down shift rev match on the manual.
I ordered a manual, but the fact that this cannot be turned off unless in Sport+ strikes me as one of the worst decisions that went into the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 01:00 AM   #88
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherM4n View Post
I ordered a manual, but the fact that this cannot be turned off unless in Sport+ strikes me as one of the worst decisions that went into the car.
That's what I thought, but you eventually get used to it. You can still rev match in comfort or sport by just revving right as you depress the clutch and just start to move the shift lever. So you are essentially rev matching before the computer does it for you. Still, I agree there should just be a button to engage or disengage the feature in any mode.
Appreciate 0