Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

07-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #89
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
I understand flow. But when you said ram effect, I understood it as pressurisation above atmospheric pressure, but I'm purely referring to starvation as the NA engine is consuming air faster than atmospheric pressure alone can adequately replenish.
But you have the whole underside of the hood area, a rather large area, with lots of air available to replenish a supply to the underhood area.

If you believe this, never vacuum a small room in your house. You might suck your eyeballs out.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #90
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I understand flow. I still think that the NA engine is consuming air faster than atmospheric pressure alone can adequately replenish.
I am sorry, but you don't seem to understand flow based on your comments.

On pure ram systems, the vehicle velocity will only very slightly increase pressure over athmospheric at road speeds, hence will have little impact on flow. Further, since the S65 airbox is vented on the hood, that effect is entirely negated.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #91
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamDavid
Quote:
I understand flow. But when you said ram effect, I understood it as pressurisation above atmospheric pressure, but I'm purely referring to starvation as the NA engine is consuming air faster than atmospheric pressure alone can adequately replenish.
But you have the whole underside of the hood area, a rather large area, with lots of air available to replenish a supply to the underhood area.

If you believe this, never vacuum a small room in your house. You might suck your eyeballs out.
It is the rate of replenishment that is insufficient. I'm not saying that there isn't air available to replenish.

If you had a powerful enough vacuum cleaner in a room, you can still generate negative atmospheric pressure even if you had a very large window.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #92
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It is the rate of replenishment that is insufficient. I'm not saying that there isn't air available to replenish.

If you had a powerful enough vacuum cleaner in a room, you can still generate negative atmospheric pressure even if you had a very large window.
I think your problem is that you have over-estimated the mount of flow to the engine. Also remember that as you try to pull a vacuum on a volume of space, you lower the air pressure which in turn increases the driving force for air to replenish the volume.

The amount of air required, ever at high engine speeds, is just too small to reduce underhood pressures given the large area of flow area to replenish.

Underhood air pressures are going to be a function of aerodynamic flows of air under the body. The affects of the intake are minuscule in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #93
scutts
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92M 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
This is the video version of the Motortrend dyno run thread.

On the video, it is now clear that the cars were run on a 4WD dyno with all 4 rollers running, as I previously suspected. This will significantly increases losses (tire rolling losses, hub friction, tire and wheel inertia). This is probably the most significant reason for the low numbers of this test. Further, E92 was run in 5th gear while F80 was run in 4th. The higher equivalent speed of E92 will translate to more losses too.
I followed a bit on the previous thread about this particular dyno comparison and I remember you bringing up the 4WD dyno. It makes sense and it's clearly running all 4 rollers. Nonetheless, F8X seems to have been underrated.

Thanks for your perspective.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #94
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
I understand flow. I still think that the NA engine is consuming air faster than atmospheric pressure alone can adequately replenish.
I am sorry, but you don't seem to understand flow based on your comments.

On pure ram systems, the vehicle velocity will only very slightly increase pressure over athmospheric at road speeds, hence will have little impact on flow. Further, since the S65 airbox is vented on the hood, that effect is entirely negated.
I understand what you are saying. I'm certainly not referring to ram effect resulting in the build up of pressure above atmospheric pressure, which definitely won't be the case especially with the hood vent like you said.

I'm just referring to the maintenance of sufficient air within the intakes. The intake of the S65 (with increasing engine speed) is not being replenished fast enough when the car is immobile. While the intake design may not generate ram effect, the flow of air into the intakes (when the vehicle is moving) is able to replenish air quicker than a static vehicle relying on negative pressure alone.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #95
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. I'm certainly not referring to ram effect resulting in the build up of pressure above atmospheric pressure, which definitely won't be the case especially with the hood vent like you said.

I'm just referring to the maintenance of sufficient air within the intakes. The intake of the S65 (with increasing engine speed) is not being replenished fast enough when the car is immobile. While the intake design may not generate ram effect, the flow of air into the intakes (when the vehicle is moving) is able to replenish air quicker than a static vehicle relying on negative pressure alone.
One more post on this subject and I'm out:

You do realize that the dyno runs are made WITH THE HOOD OPEN.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #96
Fuman
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 DCT

The N54 motor with the JB4 tune, flash, FBO, inline LPFP, Meth and e85 fuel is over 450 whp and over 500 lbft torque. It's not a surprise what this S55 motor can do, and also more that can be done given it's baseline. This is a key reason why I am getting impatient waiting for mine - and perhaps many others too.

The sound of the high revving V10 M5 was to me a significant change. IMHO, V8 sound is really not much of a biggie when there's a straight 6 turbo flying past a pricey ride - sorry if I upset any V8 die-hard fans. But it was also good to know that a C63 owner recently posted that he liked the sound of the S55 motor.

The shots of brake rotors turning red was a key take away from this as there was another article on less brake fade than e92s while on track.
      07-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #97
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamDavid
Quote:

No need for aggression.

If you can show me numbers that clearly show that the rate of air replenishment of the air intake from atmospheric pressure alone matches that of engine air consumption, then I'll digress.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #98
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Funny how he's talking about a 155 mph speed limiter. We were pulling 165.9 km/h on the Autobahn lol

A case of speedometer read-out (usually too high) vs 'real' or GPS speed ?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #99
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Funny how he's talking about a 155 mph speed limiter. We were pulling 165.9 km/h on the Autobahn lol

A case of speedometer read-out (usually too high) vs 'real' or GPS speed ?
It would never be that much. German speed limiter is higher than US speed limiter. Once car gets back to the US I'll have a speed limit of 155 mph
      07-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #100
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
It was sooo fast that you couldn't even see it!

lol the OP just mislabeled his post. I am sure he meant to say "E92" and not "E90".
Yup - went by so fast in the video didn't notice it had 2 doors - fixed it
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #101
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
No need for aggression.

If you can show me numbers that clearly show that the rate of air replenishment of the air intake from atmospheric pressure alone matches that of engine air consumption, then I'll digress.
How about this. How about you show the numbers supporting your argument?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83
If you blow air into a syringe at the same rate as the plunger is being pulled, the syringe will fill up faster than relying on a negative air pressure alone.
That's true, but it's not what you're suggesting. What is the pressure generated at the intake for the E92 M3 at 100 MPH? You're the one positing the theory, so back it up. Do some googling on "ram-air effect". You'll find that even with an optimally designed intake, the effects of ram-air are dubious at best. Then consider that the intake on the E92 is on the horizontal hood surface. If anything, increased air flow over the hood is going to create additional vacuum, not pressure. If you don't understand why, then you should check out of this conversation.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport

Last edited by bradleyland; 07-15-2014 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #102
chiplee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamDavid View Post

Lol, I had already gone "out" without announcing it and you lured me back in with your matching sentiment. Blast! There is some serious nuking going on here and I'm doing my best to bite my tongue and be patient while the M3 world comes around to a turbo way of thinking. However, having built and ran a 380wtq turbo 4 cylinder at roughly 20psi boost for the last 20 years, I'm getting a little overwhelmed by all the misinformation and desk testing. I had to go through it, too though, so I guess I'll be patient.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #103
Wild_Will
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Hurucan Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBosS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Will View Post
I don't see the desire to buy a first year model esp when you already own a legendary M.

Just wait for the Mid Life refresh and comp pack.
or you can get a new one, and when there is a Mid Life refresh, get that one...
If you can afford to do that then that's a solution then!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #104
FreekinMedic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i w/ M-sport package

I picked mine up on Friday. Break-in service is scheduled for this Thursday!!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #105
Yay-Z
Shifting to Top Gear
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
Comparing a turbo engined and a naturally aspirated engined car on a rolling road will always favour the turbo. Turbos are able to generate positive air pressure to a specified boost level (even with a lower atmospheric pressure, up to a point), while NA engines obviously rely on atmospheric pressure. Therefore, unless rolling road dynos are able to feed air at the same velocity as the car is supposed to be travelling for that engine speed at a particular gear, a NA engine is being starved of air, thus generating far less power than expected.

The K&N dyno fans clearly aren't blowing up to 140mph. Tuner dynos are good at comparing before and after, nothing more.
The S65 airbox is vented on the hood, so there is no benefit from RAM effects.

Further, if you do the math, you will find out that RAM effect is negligible for the speeds of road cars.

Sucking hot air from the dyno room is usually the culprit for reduced power due to poor ventilation.
Feel like I'm back in fluid dynamics class
      07-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #106
FreekinMedic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i w/ M-sport package

I picked mine up on Friday. Break-in service is scheduled for this Thursday!!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #107
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Badass car..
      07-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #108
pearlwhites
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, 06 CTT, 07 A8L

All this fluid dynamic thread jacking has made my head hurt. Please stop. Dynos are good for before/after tests and internet fighting
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 04:28 PM   #109
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlwhites
All this fluid dynamic thread jacking has made my head hurt. Please stop. Dynos are good for before/after tests and internet fighting
^^This. The F8x M3/4 is MORE THAN LIKELY underrated. The E9x M3 was more than likely properly rated...which isn't a bad thing. End thread.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #110
05Mdriver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: TT Flat Six

Garage List
2007 Porsche Turbo  [10.00]
2008 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 BMW M3  [10.00]