Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Can/how you get behind the front grill? (autoshow attendees?)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all, specifically targetted at the people that went to the autoshow, but I think the 4 series people may also be able to answer the question.

How is the front grill changed/removed? Just top mounted screws and a snap-in on the bottom? Also, how do you get behind the grill for more work? Because it looks like the entire nose needs to be dropped/removed? Just looking at the fender gaps and where they run, and trying to understand it. And also, how are the orange corner reflectors connected? I assume you need to pull the front wheel liner to get at the screws behind there?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
Hi all, specifically targetted at the people that went to the autoshow, but I think the 4 series people may also be able to answer the question.

How is the front grill changed/removed? Just top mounted screws and a snap-in on the bottom? Also, how do you get behind the grill for more work? Because it looks like the entire nose needs to be dropped/removed? Just looking at the fender gaps and where they run, and trying to understand it. And also, how are the orange corner reflectors connected? I assume you need to pull the front wheel liner to get at the screws behind there?
The kidneys are connected with clips that can be depressed with a screwdriver. The dealership is more cautious, so they would probably remove the front end to be careful of chipping the paint. The reflectors are behind the wheel lining, but they are just 3M taped to the bumper from the inside. I just helped my friend with his 435i this past weekend. No screws at all from what we encountered.
      02-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishhead24 View Post
The kidneys are connected with clips that can be depressed with a screwdriver. The dealership is more cautious, so they would probably remove the front end to be careful of chipping the paint. The reflectors are behind the wheel lining, but they are just 3M taped to the bumper from the inside. I just helped my friend with his 435i this past weekend. No screws at all from what we encountered.
So you are saying you just pull the reflectors off with force? Just not sure what you mean by taped from the inside.

Anyway, that's good to know that the grills come out easily in case you need to mount stuff behind them.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Yeah, the reflectors take a bit of pulling to get them off. The front beveled edge has 3M tape on it and sticks to the inside of the bumper. You will see once you get in there.