Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-24-2024, 04:41 PM   #1
travismelo3
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4

PCV valve failure cause

Hi all, my PCV valve is bad and is making that squealing noise. I do not have a tune but I have downpipes, a midpipe, intakes, and chargepipes. Could these mods that probably add like 30-40 horsepower have contributed to the PCV going bad? I’m wondering this because I’m trying to see if it is covered under my extended warranty, I wouldn’t be taking it to the dealership, I would be taking it to an independent guy who won’t say an intake voids warranty. Thanks
      03-24-2024, 07:26 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by travismelo3 View Post
Hi all, my PCV valve is bad and is making that squealing noise. I do not have a tune but I have downpipes, a midpipe, intakes, and chargepipes. Could these mods that probably add like 30-40 horsepower have contributed to the PCV going bad? I’m wondering this because I’m trying to see if it is covered under my extended warranty, I wouldn’t be taking it to the dealership, I would be taking it to an independent guy who won’t say an intake voids warranty. Thanks
I highly doubt it since the most common issue with the valve cover is a torn diaphragm. You didn’t state if it’s a BMW backed extended warranty or not but most dealerships should already know this is a common failure point on BMWs after about 5-6 years regardless of mods.

However they could make a point that since you’re not running original intake and exhaust parts which are part of the emission system (which the PVC is also part of), they could claim it was either pulling more or excessive pressure in the emission cycle. So YMMV, extended warranties or warranties in general could be a pain. It’s like over 2000 dollars to fix. Some people report almost 3000 at the dealership. I had mine replaced for 2000 at the dealership though because I’m a loyal customer lol. They discounted my labor and the part itself plus gave me a week rental.

My indy shop quoted me 1800 after tax, no rental. He said it would take a few days.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2024, 10:38 PM   #3
travismelo3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Ok thanks for the info. I talked to my mechanic and he said it shouldn’t be an issue since it’s common like you said, so I’ll just have to wait and see if they accept the claim lol. It’s an aftermarket company so idk
      03-25-2024, 01:36 AM   #4
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by travismelo3 View Post
Ok thanks for the info. I talked to my mechanic and he said it shouldn’t be an issue since it’s common like you said, so I’ll just have to wait and see if they accept the claim lol. It’s an aftermarket company so idk
Just be mindful that some aftermarket warranties don’t pay the full shop rate and that rate has been going up substantially over the last few years. So you could be on the hook for the difference. Read your paperwork and just prepare for the worst.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 08:19 AM   #5
travismelo3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Just be mindful that some aftermarket warranties don’t pay the full shop rate and that rate has been going up substantially over the last few years. So you could be on the hook for the difference. Read your paperwork and just prepare for the worst.
Ok thanks for the tip. Thankfully the guy I take my car to is much less than the dealer price lmao so hopefully it won’t be an issue, but I will call them today
      03-25-2024, 08:52 AM   #6
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

first BMW?

answer to your question....because BMW
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 11:20 AM   #7
travismelo3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
first BMW?

Yeah it is😂😂 I’ve never even heard about a PCV and now that I look into it I see that like literally everyone has had it happen
      03-25-2024, 12:19 PM   #8
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
first BMW?

You say that like it's a bad thing. Going into my BMW M4 I was already like "It's gonna have issues because it's a BMW" but in reality it's the car with the least number of issues I've owned so far. My last 2 Japanese cars were "endless money pits".

Maintenance isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is. The only thing different than servicing a Toyota Camry or the like is 1 more extra intake filter and spark plugs every 30K miles instead of 5 years/60k mile, and a rear diff fluid change every so often.

Using BMW LL01 oil, the official intervals are longer. From 5K/6months to 10K miles/1 year. The oil isn't significantly more expensive either. Rather if that's recommended or not is a whole other ordeal.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 01:30 PM   #9
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing. Going into my BMW M4 I was already like "It's gonna have issues because it's a BMW" but in reality it's the car with the least number of issues I've owned so far. My last 2 Japanese cars were "endless money pits".

Maintenance isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is. The only thing different than servicing a Toyota Camry or the like is 1 more extra intake filter and spark plugs every 30K miles instead of 5 years/60k mile, and a rear diff fluid change every so often.

Using BMW LL01 oil, the official intervals are longer. From 5K/6months to 10K miles/1 year. The oil isn't significantly more expensive either. Rather if that's recommended or not is a whole other ordeal.

yeah man agreed my f8x has been super reliable. but again rarely do camrys need a valve cover replaced. but for what the f8x is, i am absolutely shocked how reliable it is and very thankful. now also the gaskets leaking is going to happen, my oil pan is starting to seep, so again BMW problems

now tell that to my n52 e90. the engine leaks oil like clockwork from the gaskets, the window regulators, and steering lock failure (stuck in a underground parking garage ) or just recently needing oil and the hood latch is broken, type shit infuriates me. but the e90 is quite the package and still love driving it, dare i say more than the f8x. its just exactly what a bmw should be. feel so connected and the n52 is butter smooth.

wasn't perpetuating the stereotype, but every Japanese car i have owned has gone 200k miles with just brakes and oil.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 04:48 PM   #10
jonf49
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
yeah man agreed my f8x has been super reliable. but again rarely do camrys need a valve cover replaced. but for what the f8x is, i am absolutely shocked how reliable it is and very thankful. now also the gaskets leaking is going to happen, my oil pan is starting to seep, so again BMW problems

now tell that to my n52 e90. the engine leaks oil like clockwork from the gaskets, the window regulators, and steering lock failure (stuck in a underground parking garage ) or just recently needing oil and the hood latch is broken, type shit infuriates me. but the e90 is quite the package and still love driving it, dare i say more than the f8x. its just exactly what a bmw should be. feel so connected and the n52 is butter smooth.

wasn't perpetuating the stereotype, but every Japanese car i have owned has gone 200k miles with just brakes and oil.
Going to have to agree about the reliability of Hondas. My 2000 Integra Type R was left sitting for 2-3 years and it started up again with not a single problem. Did regular oil changes and brakes on it, and it was fine. Even modified it.

I had to have the PCV valve replaced on the F82 after the dreaded squeezing, but it’s been fine since.. knock on wood.

Can anyone confirm from experience that the PCV Valves really go out after every 6ish years regardless of any other factor?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 05:04 PM   #11
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

There should be an EPA emissions related warranty you can claim for PCV valve. Think it's 8 years? Not sure if there's mileage max req.
Appreciate 1
whitedc5163.50
      03-26-2024, 09:12 AM   #12
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonf49 View Post
Going to have to agree about the reliability of Hondas. My 2000 Integra Type R was left sitting for 2-3 years and it started up again with not a single problem. Did regular oil changes and brakes on it, and it was fine. Even modified it.

I had to have the PCV valve replaced on the F82 after the dreaded squeezing, but it’s been fine since.. knock on wood.

Can anyone confirm from experience that the PCV Valves really go out after every 6ish years regardless of any other factor?
there is no rhyme or reason to this shit, thats why I said welcome to "BMW and BMW problems"

My oil pan gasket is leaking at 30k on a 16 f80, and thats the first oil leak
My OPG has never leaked on a 06 e90. I am on my 4th OFHG and and it has 140k. 3rd valve cover gasket.

my sisters N20 decided to fry a piston ring (rare issue)

some f80s spin a crankhub.

one thing for sure it BMWs plastic will surely break.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 11:45 PM   #13
jonf49
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4 Competition

Right, but there’s got to be some route cause for a pcv valve to go bad. If it’s the material, do they make aftermarket replacements that are better?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 03:32 PM   #14
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Right, but there’s got to be some route cause for a pcv valve to go bad. If it’s the material, do they make aftermarket replacements that are better?
If you’re talking about the entire valve cover I haven’t seen any aftermarket ones. There are work arounds on the forum like deleting the PCV lol or cutting out the old one and doing some sort of by pass. But like I said before it’s usually a plastic diaphragm that tears.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 09:11 PM   #15
whitedc5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f82

I’m far out of my warranty and my dealer replaced my valve cover under the California 7 years/70k miles emissions warranty (with a loaner vehicle for a few days). I didn’t get much push-back at all, and they were well aware of this common issue. I encourage everyone to push their dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 01:27 AM   #16
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedc5 View Post
I’m far out of my warranty and my dealer replaced my valve cover under the California 7 years/70k miles emissions warranty (with a loaner vehicle for a few days). I didn’t get much push-back at all, and they were well aware of this common issue. I encourage everyone to push their dealer.
Didn’t work for me lol. It was denied by BMW NA. My car sat at the dealership for like 2 days waiting for BMW NA to come back with an answer lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 06:21 PM   #17
dallastide
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 / 2019 X3

My extended warranty covered mine. My mechanic asked me if I drive in a lot of heavy traffic (yes). He said the PCV system is designed for high RPM driving to pull air through it. At low RPMs over time it can get gunked up. Not sure if that's bullshit or not lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 06:27 PM   #18
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
You'd think. Mine went bad at 48k miles and my car is stock. Fortunately my 3rd party service contract paid for it at the dealer. All of these plastic parts are junk. My plastic gas tank also cracked and needed to be repalced. SMH.
      04-02-2024, 09:17 PM   #19
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

I read somewhere PCV failures are caused by excessive heat. i dont buy it though... Maybe something in the gas or oil causing it to weaken??? I have 118K miles on mine.
Appreciate 0