BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

01-20-2018, 10:07 PM   #23
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
I scanned the Fault List for the ECUs listed above, and look how many hits for Codierung ... sneaky ... some may or may not indicate coding by user.

A common fault type for ALL the above ECUs that is of interest is: Coding: Coding does not fit the vehicle. However unclear when and IF that fault type is thrown during a regular coding session for the above coding parameters. Of course it's simple to try.
Other than those only thing I can think of since most FDL lines can only have defined pre-programmed responses are the custom werte lines for certain FDL codes - if a hex value was calculated wrong, or entered by the user as dec for example...or just entered wrong like values for NGHB that could create an out of bounds value that generates an error? What or where that is logged looks like you guys may know.

I did have ASD module unplugged for some time, if that threw a logged error perhaps. It's a very small dealer and know they put about 600 miles on the car since trade in (or until it stopped communicating with connected drive). Maybe it was something else but was pristine when traded in.

In any event thank goodness launcher premium expired and TM doesn't return emails.

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 10:46 PM   #24
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Having ASD unplugged definitely throws a fault but that had nothing to do w coding. Anyways not worth going over what might have happened and what might have caused it... it's in the past!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #25
moonluv810
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3, 2018 BMW M3, 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
what option is this when coding?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthm4bcm View Post
I'm going to have to code in euro MDM. How significant is it? Does it get rid of that lag off the line but still provide the traction if really needed?
It just changes the settings for MDM mode to make it more aggressive. You can get the car to slip and oversteer more than the stock settings and it intervenes way later but still intervenes. Don't think it helps much with lag off the line as only adjusts traction control settings although will give you a bit more acceleration and a bit more tire slip than the "US MDM" mode. This is copied from my coding table - change all the DSC settings to those on this table, but this is for 2015 and if you have a newer car not sure if settings are the same.

Would you mind sharing your entire coding table?
I'm a coding newbie and your table appears to be very comprehensive and would give some peace of mind before tackling some of these.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #26
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonluv810 View Post
I'm a coding newbie and your table appears to be very comprehensive and would give some peace of mind before tackling some of these.
Yes. They are all there about 7 posts down from the one you quoted. I didn't have a lot coded relative to the number of things you can code, and frankly I only found a few of these useful. I actually didn't like non glare high beam. And if you have ZCP don't code the Euro MDM that way, it's very aggressive - although BMW toned these settings down a bit compared to these 2015 values so maybe not as aggressive.

ASD off
unlock doors when turn off car
turn off radio when open door
allow window roll up with door open
Mirror folding with lock button x3s
Enable BMW office for texting (although now used to CarPlay and it's fine for me)
Adjust amount passenger mirror dips in reverse to half height so I can see ground or behind me by moving my head and not using a switch and waiting for the mirror to adjust.

Appreciate 1
moonluv8102492.50
      01-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #27
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
PS: Whenever I code, I always check for faults right away and a bit after.
You clearing them through External Apps in E-Sys or using tool32?

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 10:56 AM   #28
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
[QUOTE=rhk118;22678738You clearing them through External Apps in E-Sys or using tool32?[/QUOTE]
You can do it using whatever reliable means are available for you, Esys transmitter, tool32, ISTA,... Just a note, unsure if faults are stored "somewhere" in the car regardless if they are cleared. Disclaimer: My interest in all this is just to understand the tech part.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1025.50
      01-27-2018, 05:53 AM   #29
moonluv810
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3, 2018 BMW M3, 2022

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonluv810 View Post
Yes. They are all there about 7 posts down from the one you quoted. I didn't have a lot coded relative to the number of things you can code, and frankly I only found a few of these useful. I actually didn't like non glare high beam. And if you have ZCP don't code the Euro MDM that way, it's very aggressive - although BMW toned these settings down a bit compared to these 2015 values so maybe not as aggressive.

ASD off
unlock doors when turn off car
turn off radio when open door
allow window roll up with door open
Mirror folding with lock button x3s
Enable BMW office for texting (although now used to CarPlay and it's fine for me)
Adjust amount passenger mirror dips in reverse to half height so I can see ground or behind me by moving my head and not using a switch and waiting for the mirror to adjust.
Thank you!
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1025.50
      02-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #30
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
I scanned the Fault List for the ECUs listed above, and look how many hits for Codierung ... sneaky ... some may or may not indicate coding by user.

A common fault type for ALL the above ECUs that is of interest is: Coding: Coding does not fit the vehicle. However unclear when and IF that fault type is thrown during a regular coding session for the above coding parameters. Of course it's simple to try.
A bit curious about this list. Did you compile it from a batch of sessions or did you scan the car to see what came up?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #31
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
A bit curious about this list. ...
Clean up your PM inbox !
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #32
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
A bit curious about this list. ...
Clean up your PM inbox !
Done.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #33
JAGOOD
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Black/S1000rr

What does the serius XM coded on do. I have not seen this one on the code sheets that I have.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #34
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGOOD View Post
What does the serius XM coded on do. I have not seen this one on the code sheets that I have.
Nothing if you do not have FSC code or subscription service. With those, you get satellite radio.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 09:59 PM   #35
cwhands
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 SS/CSAT 6MT

VO coding is cause for flagging. Otherwise FDL is not.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 10:17 PM   #36
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhands View Post
VO coding is cause for flagging. Otherwise FDL is not.
Not necessarily true; FDL coding can do the same things as VO coding.

Modified FA written to VCM as well as certain FDL changes result in flagging.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #37
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Not necessarily true; FDL coding can do the same things as VO coding.

Modified FA written to VCM as well as certain FDL changes result in flagging.
What if you loaded a modified FA at one point (and write to VCM) and when turn the car in you modify the VO coding back to the stock coding? Still flagged?

Is the trick to NEVER modify the FA list within the VCM and only modify it in E-sys?

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #38
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What if you loaded a modified FA at one point (and write to VCM) and when turn the car in you modify the VO coding back to the stock coding? Still flagged?

Is the trick to NEVER modify the FA list within the VCM and only modify it in E-sys?
I have thoughts, but it is partly speculation. Definitely do not write fa changes to vcm.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1025.50