R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: Do you have a front license plate?
Yes - Required by law to have a front plate, and I drilled it 61 9.38%
Yes - Required by law to have a front plate, but use a no-drill solution 111 17.08%
No - Required by law to have a front plate, but I opt not to at my own risk 406 62.46%
No - Not required to have a front plate 72 11.08%
Voters: 650. You may not vote on this poll

07-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #67
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcconn535
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
Law indeed has changed however I (and no one I know) have had no issues to date in Houston (have been driving for 20 years in TX without plates). I'm sure its possible to get tagged, interesting comment re Austin, but currently do not have plans to put the from plates on permanently. There are other options (pref thread discussed them) for plates that retract etc. which I may consider when traveling through smaller towns on way to San Anton etc.
At one of our car club events a few months ago, we were all parked around the courthouse in the town square of a small town in the Hill Country and a cop stopped by and issued a ticket to every car that did not have a front plate. Probably paid his salary for the month.
How lame is that - have to say that I have had more issues with parking, even with my motorbike. In Austin than most other places inTX - hopefully doesn't spill over too much into Houston!
      07-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #68
JS919
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc32000 View Post
Not really. I'm a criminal defense lawyer and have handled far too many cases that began with a simple equipment violation stop. I also value my right to travel without being pulled over by government agents who will use an equipment violation as a pretext to stop and question me. What you call paranoia I would call a firm belief in the rights and protections afforded by the constitution!
Just don't drive around with a dead hooker in the trunk and your crack pipe on the passenger seat and a simple traffic stop for a missing front plate won't turn into such a violation of your constitutional rights.

You still sound paranoid to me. Maybe even more so after this latest rant. sorry!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #69
jmar32
Rep
Drives: 2011 Audi S5 , 2015 M4 ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
You could also just keep the second plate under your seat and put it in the windshield when you park. They'll leave you alone.
I kept the plate on the dash. I was ticketed anyway. I guess it really depends on where you live and how intensely the local police want to enforce the law.

Last edited by jmar32; 07-24-2014 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: Misspelled word
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #70
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Update for anyone interested in the magnet mod I mentioned in this post: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=56

If you go to Amazon just search for "rare earth magnets" and you'll see all kinds of sizes of Neodymium Magnets for about $7 - just choose grade N45 or above.

If you order these be careful as they will snap together and take off a chuck of your finger ... uhhh, I heard that anyway

Parts list is:
* Magnets
* Loctite Epoxy Marine Gel or similar
* Plate holder
Total is about $15-$20

Procedure is:
  1. From the bottom or top ensure you can reach into the back of the bumper where you want the plate mounted, clean and dry that inside location if needed
  2. Put some epoxy on a magnet and apply - I use 3* and just eyeball the spacing based on the plate holder - you can also use painter's tape to put 3 on the front with the right spacing and the rears will then self adjust when you get close - this is the easiest method if the spacing is tight. Let those dry.
  3. Next, hold the plate holder to the front of the bumper and hold up a magnet - it'll find it's location! Repeat for all 3 and level/adjust, then mark the locations on the plate holder with a sharpie
  4. remove the plate holder and its magnets, and then epoxy them in place
  5. Apply felting or microfiber to the back of the plate holder to protect the bumper

* note - you can use as many magnets as you want but keep in mind these things are powerful and I found that more than 3 quarter-size is a very bad idea (a dude decided to use 6 and he shattered the plate holder when he went to attach it to the car! ker-THAWP!) No matter how much you can bench, you are NOT stronger than these magnets.

Other note is to only put the plate back on when you know the bumper is clean - for po-po emergencies I usually just carry some quick wash and a rag in case I have to slap on the plate. This avoids scratches.

Last edited by GrussGott; 07-24-2014 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #71
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Never have, never will.
      07-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #72
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS919 View Post
You still sound paranoid to me
Just because he's paranoid doesn't mean they not out to get him!

For what's it's worth, I agree with him - have as little contact as possible with the law. They just killed a dude in NY for illegally selling cigarettes.

Some lawmen , some lawmen very bad
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #73
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Update for anyone interested in the magnet mod I mentioned in this post: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=56

If you go to Amazon just search for "rare earth magnets" and you'll see all kinds of sizes of Neodymium Magnets for about $7 - just choose grade N45 or above.

If you order these be careful as they will snap together and take off a chuck of your finger ... uhhh, I heard that anyway

Parts list is:
* Magnets
* Loctite Epoxy Marine Gel or similar
* Plate holder
Total is about $15-$20

Procedure is:
  1. From the bottom or top ensure you can reach into the back of the bumper where you want the plate mounted, clean and dry that inside location if needed
  2. Put some epoxy on a magnet and apply - I use 3* and just eyeball the spacing based on the plate holder - you can also use painter's tape to put 3 on the front with the right spacing and the rears will then self adjust when you get close - this is the easiest method if the spacing is tight. Let those dry.
  3. Next, hold the plate holder to the front of the bumper and hold up a magnet - it'll find it's location! Repeat for all 3 and level/adjust, then mark the locations on the plate holder with a sharpie
  4. remove the plate holder and its magnets, and then epoxy them in place
  5. Apply felting or microfiber to the back of the plate holder to protect the bumper

* note - you can use as many magnets as you want but keep in mind these things are powerful and I found that more than 3 quarter-size is a very bad idea (a dude decided to use 6 and he shattered the plate holder when he went to attach it to the car! ker-THAWP!) No matter how much you can bench, you are NOT stronger than these magnets.

Other note is to only put the plate back on when you know the bumper is clean - for po-po emergencies I usually just carry some quick wash and a rag in case I have to slap on the plate. This avoids scratches.

+1 - like your style - will definitely look into this method - very clean
      07-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #74
Enzoyama_
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
Are you sure? In Cali the law is the same but is bypassed by a waiver the dealer makes you sign.

In Long island, Ny my dealer used to be able to do it. But they got in trouble because it is in fact a law to have both front and back plates. I'm sure in Cali its different just like everything else lol
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #75
Enzoyama_
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels View Post
Had my 435 delivered with out a front plate in NY at the suggestion of my salesman since he saw that my trade GTR had not had one on it (5 years no tickets).

I have ordered up a tow plug plate holder for the M4 that's on order. I don't want to give the officer any more ammunition when I get pulled over for speeding
you traded a gtr for a 435 ?
habberstad bmw wont do it. Told me upon delivery i must have a front plate !
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #76
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzoyama_ View Post
wrong. just have to sign the waiver stating that its your responsibility to put the plates. technically there isnt even a plate available upon delivery, so why put the holes in the bumper? just tell em you want to install it yourself, and tell dealer to f off. im sure dealer dont want to loose sales over something stupid like that. you just have to be firm on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #77
Enzoyama_
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
wrong. just have to sign the waiver stating that its your responsibility to put the plates. technically there isnt even a plate available upon delivery, so why put the holes in the bumper? just tell em you want to install it yourself, and tell dealer to f off. im sure dealer dont want to loose sales over something stupid like that. you just have to be firm on it.
in Ny there are no temp tags. We either get new plates or have to transfer plates. Not the paper tags but actual hard plates.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #78
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ct View Post
I'm having a remote controlled retractable plate installed on saturday. I'll post some pics and video when it's done!
Very interested to see pics of this installed - it seems to me that it will surely get scrapped up or damaged across the typical high relief entrance ramps we have in Houston (streets are often used to control flooding). Of course I am interested in driving with the plate stowed and being able to pop it up when driving if necessary (is motor strong enough to do this at 30-60 mph or faster?) and assuming further that it will have even less clearance when stowed?
      07-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #79
Z3grape
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 X6 40i

My wife just took delivery today at motorwerks in bloomington (I was out of town). No front plate installed .....yet. Our trusty salesman told us to wait to make a decision until the plates come in. Do not want to do it, but we were hasseled on our last m3 that we initially did not put one on.

By the way...can't wait to get home to take the car out
Sapphire black
Extended black interior
DCT
Carbon roof
Black wheels
Adaptive transmission
And the rest of the bells and whistles : lane awareness, led headlights blah, blah,blah...
      07-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #80
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 & 2015 M4 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzoyama_ View Post
Yes, and am waiting for my M4 vert to arrive (early Oct)and trading a 328i vert on that one. Do I miss the GTR...not at all, 5 years was plenty of time to get bored with it.

Always remember if you want your toys, you must keep the other half happy as well. Guess who will be driving the 435 Vert.

As some of you have already realized, I am sure, divorce costs WAY more than a silly 435
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #81
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Keep the front plate off but be careful after a nice dinner (wine) or happy hour....
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #82
BlackCobra08
King Cobra
Rep
Drives: incoming GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3grape View Post
My wife just took delivery today at motorwerks in bloomington (I was out of town). No front plate installed .....yet. Our trusty salesman told us to wait to make a decision until the plates come in. Do not want to do it, but we were hasseled on our last m3 that we initially did not put one on.

By the way...can't wait to get home to take the car out
Sapphire black
Extended black interior
DCT
Carbon roof
Black wheels
Adaptive transmission
And the rest of the bells and whistles : lane awareness, led headlights blah, blah,blah...
Hahaha nice man I sat in that car the day they got it in, mine comes into Motorwerks tomorrow, but won't be ready until Monday when I pick her up. Did your wife get the M3 for herself or as a favor to you since you were outta town? lol. Also when you say you were hassled on your last M3, can you go into more details on that?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #83
Viking123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecleland
Additionally why can't we copy the size and shape of the Euro plates. They look so much better that the US style plates. I still don't want one on the front but it would look a lot better in those cases where you have to. Who do I call to make that happen
+1

The US plates are freakin ugly and the shape is completely impractical.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #84
Z3grape
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCobra08 View Post
Hahaha nice man I sat in that car the day they got it in, mine comes into Motorwerks tomorrow, but won't be ready until Monday when I pick her up. Did your wife get the M3 for herself or as a favor to you since you were outta town? lol. Also when you say you were hassled on your last M3, can you go into more details on that?
Nope ..her car. She is a speed demon. I get the grocery getter. Believe me.. I will put more miles on that beast than she will.

As for our last m3. We did not have a front plate and got pinched by a meter maid in Minneapolis. We went ahead and put it on after that.

What did you configure. We deal with Dylan at motorwerks. Great guy. I think we have purchased 5 cars from that guy.
      07-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #85
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Unfortunately, when I bought my M3 the dealer already drilled the front bracket on. Since the bracket is there, I mounted the front plate. I drove my E92 for two years without a front plate without ever getting a ticket so I'm pissed that my M3 has one. I'll eventually get over it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #86
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post
Unfortunately, when I bought my M3 the dealer already drilled the front bracket on. Since the bracket is there, I mounted the front plate. I drove my E92 for two years without a front plate without ever getting a ticket so I'm pissed that my M3 has one. I'll eventually get over it.
Can you post a picture?
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #87
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post
Keep the front plate off but be careful after a nice dinner (wine) or happy hour....
Took delivery of my e93 at motorwerks too - no front plate, they were super cool.

To your point, though, that's why I do the magnet mod - if you do a HH or something you can just slap 'er on. I usually do that before I even go in.

The remote control thing ... I considered that but it seems a little ... feminine.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:35 PM   #88
GBPackerfan1963
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5 2007 E60 550i

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Took delivery of my e93 at motorwerks too - no front plate, they were super cool.

To your point, though, that's why I do the magnet mod - if you do a HH or something you can just slap 'er on. I usually do that before I even go in.

The remote control thing ... I considered that but it seems a little ... feminine.
C'mon JOHNSON!!!
Appreciate 0