proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-01-2016, 02:39 AM   #1
M4BUM
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

New App to control Exhaust Flaps and ASD

Hey guys,

I found a new App named Bimmerlink for IOS to control the Exhaust Flaps and ASD.
First I didn't believe, that this is so easy possible, but now I could try it. The App is working very well.
The only thing you need is a OBD Wifi Module ELM327 OBD2. All together it works for only 30 Euros.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGDKJlcOLvA

Have fun with it

UPDATE: The price for the Bimmerlink App (IOS) increased from 10€ to 30€.

Last edited by M4BUM; 02-25-2017 at 04:17 AM..
Appreciate 3
      05-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #2
dom_cmh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Ulm View Post
Hey guys,

I found a new App named Bimmerlink for IOS to control the Exhaust Flaps and ASD.
First I didn't believe, that this is so easy possible, but now I could try it. The App is working very well.
The only thing you need is a OBD Wifi Module ELM327 OBD2. All together it works for only 30 Euros.

Video:

Have fun with it
GAME CHANGER!

This is awesome! Great find. I had one of the Wifi Modules already for reading codes on my cars (side note everyone should have one, no more trips to auto-zone to borrow their code readers and they are cheap).

The app was $9.99 on the app store. In case anyone wonders it's in english not German like on the video.

I was able to control the flaps and could hear it open and close just by selecting the option on my phone. I didn't play with ASD as I already have that coded off. I might have to code it back on now that I have this though!

I didn't go driving though because it just rained and I washed my car today. I can't wait to try this tomorrow. It obviously works but I'm curious if it remembers the setting and/or I have to keep the ODBII wifi module connected all the time.

Fantastic and inexpensive flap control. Way better than the expensive mods and even easier and quicker than pulling the plugs!

Edit: it looks like you have to keep the device plugged in. The car forgets the settings and goes back to default when unplugged and off. No big deal just leave it in and fire up the app before your drive. Nice to keep the flaps closed in the neighborhood in the morning then open them up after hitting the road!

Summer Fun - 2016 F80 M3 | Tanzanite | Black FULL Leather | 6MT | Executive | Lighting | Driver Assist | Adaptive Suspension | 19" Black Wheels | Black Grills & Sides | Roof
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 08:46 PM   #3
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_cmh
Quote:
Hey guys,

Video:

Have fun with it
GAME CHANGER!

This is awesome! Great find. I had one of the Wifi Modules already for reading codes on my cars (side note everyone should have one, no more trips to auto-zone to borrow their code readers and they are cheap).

The app was $9.99 on the app store. In case anyone wonders it's in english not German like on the video.

I was able to control the flaps and could hear it open and close just by selecting the option on my phone. I didn't play with ASD as I already have that coded off. I might have to code it back on now that I have this though!

I didn't go driving though because it just rained and I washed my car today. I can't wait to try this tomorrow. It obviously works but I'm curious if it remembers the setting and/or I have to keep the ODBII wifi module connected all the time.

Fantastic and inexpensive flap control. Way better than the expensive mods and even easier and quicker than pulling the plugs!
Can someone point me to an OBD adaptor that I need to purchase?

Keeping it plugged in is not an issue unless it's really large.

Thanks for this. This seems to be an easy way to get control.

Edit: I see you noted it needs to be reset each time you start the car. Same for ASD I imagine?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 08:52 PM   #4
dom_cmh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys,

Video:

Have fun with it
GAME CHANGER!

Can someone point me to an OBD adaptor that I need to purchase?

Keeping it plugged in is not an issue unless it's really large.

Thanks for this. This seems to be an easy way to get control.

Edit: I see you noted it needs to be reset each time you start the car. Same for ASD I imagine?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B3K...SSL&ref=plSrch

That's the one I have. I assume ASD will also reset. The device is small so leaving it plugged won't be an issue.

Summer Fun - 2016 F80 M3 | Tanzanite | Black FULL Leather | 6MT | Executive | Lighting | Driver Assist | Adaptive Suspension | 19" Black Wheels | Black Grills & Sides | Roof
Appreciate 4
lpshikhar150.50
adHudd12.00
      05-01-2016, 09:00 PM   #5
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks. Ordered!

I like this because this is an inexpensive way to see what I like or don't (my car isn't here yet) and if I find that I like a single way to operate (like ASD off and valves off), then I can implement another solution so that I don't have to change it each time.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 09:23 PM   #6
Canuckles
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MW 2016 F82 M4

Looking but not finding one for Android, is there one?. Bah can't wait for BMWhat to update for f82 coding. Hopefully for ASD and flaps too. Good find!

Edit: emailed about said issue, will report back when I get a response.
Appreciate 1
F1fan35.00
      05-02-2016, 08:10 AM   #7
M4BUM
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

There is no app for Android at the moment. but maybe there will be one in next time.

@dom_cmh
this is a problem i have too. when the device is plugged in, you can find it, although you have locked your car. the best way would be, when the device shut down, when you lock the car.

@Canuckles
if there is a way to code the flaps, that would be awesome. the best way would be, if you can open the flaps always, when you drive in sport or sport+ mode.
i don't like it, when the flaps close at 35km/h.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #8
Canuckles
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MW 2016 F82 M4

@M4Ulm

They close in D mode, but not in S for me, but i also have the M.P.E. *correction after following steps laid out valves close for me too.

Got a response from bimmerlink, they are considering porting to Android but no release date yet. So it may happen.

Last edited by Canuckles; 05-21-2016 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #9
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

They need to add a menu to allow the settings are effect anytime the phone connects to the wifi. So you can choose your default settings without having to change them each time you get into the car. Otherwise, I'll use this to learn what I like in terms of ASD on/off and valve position and then implement either coding or the BMS Can Flap to allow the defaults to stick.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 12:18 AM   #10
DD88
LXO
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP CQ - 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100
They need to add a menu to allow the settings are effect anytime the phone connects to the wifi. So you can choose your default settings without having to change them each time you get into the car. Otherwise, I'll use this to learn what I like in terms of ASD on/off and valve position and then implement either coding or the BMS Can Flap to allow the defaults to stick.
I sent that request to the developers yesterday, their reply:

Hi,
the setting is saved in the app and restored while connecting. Unfortunately it is not possible to keep the setting when the car is turned off.

Kind regards
Stephan

I asked them if the app automatically could reconnect and export the settings once the car starts. Will post the reply.

Edit:

Hi,
this is not possible with the WiFi interface, but I am working on supporting bluetooth adapter and with that it should be possible.

Kind regards,
Stephan

Last edited by DD88; 05-03-2016 at 02:44 AM.. Reason: Added reply from developer
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 06:41 AM   #11
dom_cmh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD88 View Post

Hi,
the setting is saved in the app and restored while connecting. Unfortunately it is not possible to keep the setting when the car is turned off.

Kind regards
Stephan

I asked them if the app automatically could reconnect and export the settings once the car starts. Will post the reply.

Edit:

Hi,
this is not possible with the WiFi interface, but I am working on supporting bluetooth adapter and with that it should be possible.

Kind regards,
Stephan
I'm not sure I follow. There was an option in settings to "auto connect". When I get in my car and connect to the wifi adapter I open the app and it connects and restores my preferences where I had them before. What more are you trying to do?

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #12
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD88 View Post

Hi,

Kind regards
Stephan

Edit:

Hi,

Kind regards,
Stephan
I'm not sure I follow. There was an option in settings to "auto connect". When I get in my car and connect to the wifi adapter I open the app and it connects and restores my preferences where I had them before. What more are you trying to do?
I don't think the response was clear. At first it sounds as if the setting you have in the app for exhaust will be applied once the phone connects to the car (which should be right at startup or just prior) but then they follow that with something that sounds like it can't.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 08:17 AM   #13
DD88
LXO
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP CQ - 17

I think that the main problem is that my phone wont reconnect with the OBD-controller. The settings is dropped once reconnected and I have to start over.

Here is the full conversation:

Hi,
Thanks for a great app!
Is there any way to save the settings? The car forgets the settings once turned off and restarted. Want the ASD to be turned off at all time.

---

Hi,
the setting is saved in the app and restored while connecting.
Unfortunately it is not possible to keep the setting when the car is turned off.

Kind regards
Stephan

---

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is it possible to set that the app/phone autoconnects with the OBD controller when I start the car? I have to do that manually now.

---

Hi,

Kind regards,
Stephan

---
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 08:24 AM   #14
dom_cmh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD88
I think that the main problem is that my phone wont reconnect with the OBD-controller. The settings is dropped once reconnected and I have to start over.

Here is the full conversation:

Hi,
Thanks for a great app!
Is there any way to save the settings? The car forgets the settings once turned off and restarted. Want the ASD to be turned off at all time.

---

Hi,
the setting is saved in the app and restored while connecting.
Unfortunately it is not possible to keep the setting when the car is turned off.

Kind regards
Stephan

---

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is it possible to set that the app/phone autoconnects with the OBD controller when I start the car? I have to do that manually now.

---

Hi,

Kind regards,
Stephan

---
Interesting. My phone auto connected with the wifi. I had my wifi off on my phone and when I turned it on it connected. Perhaps that's the reason why. It joined my car before it joins my home wifi so I was all good. I'll have to monitor this.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 10:46 PM   #15
6MTZCP
one track mind
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i to M3

Not sure if its just me but i cant open the flaps in Efficient mode.
Kind of defeats the purpose of the app.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 07:24 AM   #16
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm going to give the app a try when my car gets in but what are the best options out there otherwise?

I feel like the BMS Can Flap is attractive because it doesn't require removing anything like the Macht Snell one and offers control of the exhaust as well as ASD. The only issue is that it would be ideal if you could set the thing to start with valves closed (for a quieter start) and then revert to open. This can be done manually of course but just another step.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #17
AndyLu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Quick question. This adapter for the ob2 needs wi-if to change the setting ( like having a Internet connection ) and not a Bluetooth connection between the phone and the adapter.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:12 PM   #18
dom_cmh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLu
Quick question. This adapter for the ob2 needs wi-if to change the setting ( like having a Internet connection ) and not a Bluetooth connection between the phone and the adapter.
Correct. There are two models. Make sure you get wifi. See the link I posted earlier for the one I bought.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:13 PM   #19
dom_cmh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MTZCP
Not sure if its just me but i cant open the flaps in Efficient mode.
Kind of defeats the purpose of the app.
Strange. Mine allows full control even in efficient mode.

Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 04:26 PM   #20
AndyLu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Thanks for clarifying. I would have issues it being over wifi only. I need it as a Bluetooth so I don't have to be in a wifi area. Like work parking lot and such
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #21
dom_cmh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. I would have issues it being over wifi only. I need it as a Bluetooth so I don't have to be in a wifi area. Like work parking lot and such
No I think you misunderstand. The odbii device makes its own wifi signal that you connect to from your phone. You don't need access to wifi like a hotspot or your house.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 07:20 PM   #22
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No I think you misunderstand. The odbii device makes its own wifi signal that you connect to from your phone. You don't need access to wifi like a hotspot or your house.
But if you are leaving your home, wouldn't your phone connect to your home wifi automatically? Do you need to manually go into settings and connect to the OBD device?
Appreciate 0