EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-11-2024, 06:57 PM   #1
M3_Enjoyer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG F80 M3

NYS Inspection with single turbo kit?

Hello All,

I'm highly considering going to a single turbo setup BUT live on Long Island, NY where emissions/inspections tend to be a hassle. I was curious if anyone in the area is running a single turbo kit and has been able to pass inspection.

I daily drive my car so this will be a big make or break it when it comes to going forward with the kit. (You can't just go out and buy an inspection sticker anymore so I'm expecting this to not work out LOL)

To my understanding - O2's and Cats must show "readiness" in order to pass. I'm curious if anyone has found a way to bypass this with a ST setup as I'd imagine it's probably not in the motors best interest to go back to a stock tune without stock dp's & turbos.

All insights are greatly appreciated.

Drive safe, I look forward to reading the responses!

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1645537

2018 6MT F80 build underway..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 10:56 PM   #2
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

No emissions where I am but given the amount of changes I can't imagine it would pass. Maybe with some work you could do a catted downpipe with o2s in the manifold but you will have probably different injectors ect. Which will require a tune.

I haven't had my st setup running long enough to weigh in on daily driveability or reliabilty but I don't think I would do it to my daily.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 11:08 PM   #3
M3_Enjoyer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_w. View Post
No emissions where I am but given the amount of changes I can't imagine it would pass. Maybe with some work you could do a catted downpipe with o2s in the manifold but you will have probably different injectors ect. Which will require a tune.

I haven't had my st setup running long enough to weigh in on daily driveability or reliabilty but I don't think I would do it to my daily.
Thanks for the reply, you're probably right about needing a catted downpipe - have seen a lot of single turbo setups in the tri-state area so wondering if anyone can chime in on this.

As far as driveability/reliability - planned on staying very conservative and pump 93 only, don't have the desire to be at 700whp+

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 02:23 PM   #4
M3_Enjoyer
Private First Class
Rep

B

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 11:02 PM   #5
OG_F87
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I have a brand new big boost efr kit for sale that I was gonna put on my f80. Unfortunately I daily drive the car and would rather not deal with the headache of emissions on a st setup every year
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 01:30 PM   #6
pxscu
pxscu
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Enjoyer View Post
Hello All,

I'm highly considering going to a single turbo setup BUT live on Long Island, NY where emissions/inspections tend to be a hassle. I was curious if anyone in the area is running a single turbo kit and has been able to pass inspection.

I daily drive my car so this will be a big make or break it when it comes to going forward with the kit. (You can't just go out and buy an inspection sticker anymore so I'm expecting this to not work out LOL)

To my understanding - O2's and Cats must show "readiness" in order to pass. I'm curious if anyone has found a way to bypass this with a ST setup as I'd imagine it's probably not in the motors best interest to go back to a stock tune without stock dp's & turbos.

All insights are greatly appreciated.

Drive safe, I look forward to reading the responses!
If your emission process is similar to mine in Nevada we can have ONE code pending to pass. I recently went single turbo but haven't checked the emission monitors yet nor is the car in my possession atm to check but..
with my custom tune on stock turbo I only had one pending code which I'd imagine still looks the same with single bank enabled.

2015 F80 M3 - BigBoost 8474 EFR Single Turbo / EU5 Injectors / Precision Stage 3 Brushless LPFP / Dorch Lift Kit / Wagner Cooler
https://www.instagram.com/pxscu/
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 07:15 PM   #7
M3_Enjoyer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG_F87 View Post
I have a brand new big boost efr kit for sale that I was gonna put on my f80. Unfortunately I daily drive the car and would rather not deal with the headache of emissions on a st setup every year
In the same boat, will definitely be a headache - tried to reach out to single turbo owners & no responses

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 07:17 PM   #8
M3_Enjoyer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxscu View Post
If your emission process is similar to mine in Nevada we can have ONE code pending to pass. I recently went single turbo but haven't checked the emission monitors yet nor is the car in my possession atm to check but..
with my custom tune on stock turbo I only had one pending code which I'd imagine still looks the same with single bank enabled.
I'll have to check but I believe NYS allows for 1 monitor to read "not ready"

Let me know how it goes when you get the car back!

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 06:49 AM   #9
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Enjoyer View Post
I'll have to check but I believe NYS allows for 1 monitor to read "not ready"

Let me know how it goes when you get the car back!
NYS allows no active engine codes, you can have 1 monitor not ready. usually these cars do not pass in nys with dp and bm3.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0