European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-12-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

My biggest complaint with the m3

Hi all,

Finally saw an m3 in person yesterday at the Philly car show. First off: Yes. I will go and drive it, but for now I love it.

I went over the car to find what I truly dislike, not a little but something that actually bothers me.

There is only one thing and it may be exacerbated by color: The framing around the windows. It is glaring, it is cheap looking, and it is ugly. And I would see it everyday.

I would probably look to have these parts painted gloss black (i.e. shadowline trim) or some other treatment. They are also, currently, the type of plastic which is likely to fade and not look great in a few years.

Other than that, my only other complaint is the gauges - and that's just an f30 thing. They just aren't sexy or exciting.

Personally, the other areas people have complained about are fine with me. The hood, the tail lights....and that interior is finally an interior worthy of a 3-series.

Just thought I'd share this complaint and see if anyone has ideas for treatments.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Hi all,

Finally saw an m3 in person yesterday at the Philly car show. First off: Yes. I will go and drive it, but for now I love it.

I went over the car to find what I truly dislike, not a little but something that actually bothers me.

There is only one thing and it may be exacerbated by color: The framing around the windows. It is glaring, it is cheap looking, and it is ugly. And I would see it everyday.

I would probably look to have these parts painted gloss black (i.e. shadowline trim) or some other treatment. They are also, currently, the type of plastic which is likely to fade and not look great in a few years.

Other than that, my only other complaint is the gauges - and that's just an f30 thing. They just aren't sexy or exciting.

Personally, the other areas people have complained about are fine with me. The hood, the tail lights....and that interior is finally an interior worthy of a 3-series.

Just thought I'd share this complaint and see if anyone has ideas for treatments.
Don't worry about that plastic stuff, that is european spec, the US spec will be gloss black like the current M3. So now you can be happy
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
unintelligible
Computer Janitor
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 328i

I just pointed this out the other day in one of the other threads... I was shocked. I thought it was standard on the E90 M3. Sad to see the same nasty cheap trim that's on a $30k 320i on a $70k M3. If this is really not some sort of preproduction build glitch and is really the way the cars will be delivered the only options are replacing the trim around the windows and the side mirrors with Shadowline parts or somehow having them painted gloss black.
      02-12-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
unintelligible
Computer Janitor
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
Don't worry about that plastic stuff, that is european spec, the US spec will be gloss black like the current M3. So now you can be happy
Is this confirmed? The cars were US spec in terms of bumpers w/ reflectors, MPH speedos, etc. But had no Shadowline trim.
      02-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

If the U.S. is getting gloss black treatment in the final trim, I was be extremely pleased. This was a serious visual flaw to me and not something I felt I'd come to accept - but something I thought would bother me everyday. Like a dent in the driver's side door.

It wouldn't prevent me from owning the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

I agree with your dislike of the gauges. Completely uninspiring.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

Quote:
Hi all,

Joe don't sweat it. I'm from Yardley PA and went to Detroit figuring Philly would not get these cars. The trim on the Detroit cars was not like this. I saw and posted exactly what you are talking about. I agree it looked cheap and talked with the useless BMW people on the floor. They know nothing compared to us. There was only one useful guy named Otto from BMW that provided me assistance in getting into the cars in Detroit and PA. I do not even see M Sport 435s with that crappy plastic treatment
      02-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #8
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Joe

Look down under the M sport option inclusions and you'll see even those cars have shadowline trim

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ndOptions.aspx
      02-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

This car needed the 6WA of the F10 M5 at least bundled with the Executive Package...

Quote:
Hi all,

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by unintelligible View Post
Is this confirmed? The cars were US spec in terms of bumpers w/ reflectors, MPH speedos, etc. But had no Shadowline trim.
Nothing is confirmed until the order guide arrives, but it is nearly a sure thing. Canadian cars do have High Gloss Shadowline standard, for what it is worth.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #11
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

The spec sheet for my order here in the UK clearly states Exterior trim, High-gloss Shadowline I'd be surprised if its not standard everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #12
Crisis
process in working...
Germany
Rep
Drives: hopefully

In Germany is Shadowline optional. I Choose it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

Thanks guys. I went to a car show and saw a model labeled as the new M3. I'm glad to here that is one detail that won't be joining us or will at least be optional
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #14
EuroTrip
BMW FAN
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 M3 AW 6MT

I totally agree and really didn't notice it until I saw the black sedan pics! Shadowline has traditionally always been glossy...the matte will look terrible after a waxing...

Quote:
Hi all,

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #15
EuroTrip
BMW FAN
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 M3 AW 6MT

Quote:
Oh, I didn't see this post...nevermind then!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #16
Kadema
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 123d

I like clear, precise, simple gauges. I haven't seen the f8x gauges in real life yet, but I assume I wouldn't want them any other way.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #17
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadema View Post
I like clear, precise, simple gauges. I haven't seen the f8x gauges in real life yet, but I assume I would'nt want them any other way.
I think the new gauges are better than the current gauges that the E9X has. I wasnt particularly fond of the current gauges.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #18
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

So OP, you're into buying an M3, and the only complaint you have is that the windows frame color / shininess is not to your liking?

Jeez. That's not a 1st world problem, that's a zero world problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #19
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

Well sir, I haven't driven it yet and I have other minor complaints. The interior could be a bit more swaddled in leather, I miss thigh extensions on the seats, etc.

But what I said is that the only MAJOR complaint I had after seeing it in person was the window trim. It was a "I couldn't live with this or get used to it" moment when I saw it. Not a deal breaker, just something that was so glaringly bad I decided to share my reaction to it.

There's plenty of other niggles, but really the ultimate determiner is the DRIVE.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #20
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think the new gauges are better than the current gauges that the E9X has. I wasnt particularly fond of the current gauges.
I agree they are a bit boring on the e92 M. But I like that they were at least completely different from the standard e92 cars
      02-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #21
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbockrd View Post
I agree they are a bit boring on the e92 M. But I like that they were at least completely different from the standard e92 cars
*Raise hand*

I'd like to argue that there is as much difference between the F3X and the F8X as there was between an E9X ///M and non-///M car. In fact, based on photo comparisons, the E9X M and non-///M clusters look more similar than dissimilar. Allow me to play the picture game with you jbockrd.

F30:

F80:

E9X M3:

E9X non-//M:

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 04:20 AM   #22
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK6 View Post
The spec sheet for my order here in the UK clearly states Exterior trim, High-gloss Shadowline I'd be surprised if its not standard everywhere.
I received this price M3/M4 price list and spec sheet from my dealer over 3 weeks ago.

This is UK only.

http://www.redoak.co.uk/images/m3pricelist.pdf