ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

08-29-2016, 08:06 AM   #23
Schow
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 SS M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0039 View Post
Frozen color is easy to maintain with, just wash it without polishing or take extra care on the paint.

I have my E90 and F80 both Frozen silver.

Anyway, everybody has their own thoughts.

Just share with you.
car is in Taipei I see.....
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 12:15 PM   #24
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Frozen Grey E90 M3

Garage List
I would have to side with those who LIKE the frozen paint. Regardless if you think it is a FAD or not, I believe that Matte paint is a fad. The Frozen paints are not Matte and are usually incorrectly classified that way. They are a Satin finish and as such there is many complexities to the paint. Like all the Frozen paints, the base coat is typically a standard BMW paint ie. Space Grey, Mineral Grey, Melbourne Red, Sakir Orange The fact that the base is a metallic and then finished with a Satin clear coat, gives them incredible depth in a variety of light. I know that for my own Frozen Grey, low light environment tends to really emphasize the lines of the car. The creases and folds are accentuated. In direct sunlight, the metallic element is really pronounced and the car appears to have more silver overtones. It is a very interesting paint. I would never equate it to a wrap and Plastidip. Simply no comparison.

As for paint care, there are many approaches. Wrapping the car in Xpel helps to maintain the factory paint. I wouldn't say that it is more or less work than regular paint, it is just a different process. I use paint specific products such a Swissvax to maintain the finish. I still wash, dry and wax.

Of course at the end of the day, colour and finish is subjective and very Individual

Last edited by FMLYSDN; 08-29-2016 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-03-2016, 06:01 AM   #25
M3 Piotr
Lieutenant Colonel
Poland
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Frozen Black F87 M2 LBB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator15 View Post
My Frozen Black M4... But its ugly right :
I say it is butt ugly
Attached Images

Follow me on Insta: M3Piotr
Appreciate 3
FMLYSDN1181.50
      09-03-2016, 06:27 AM   #26
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Frozen silver is the best of the satin finishes as it's Silverstone and changes with the light conditions and is a wonderful colour, I loved my FS e92 M3.
      09-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #27
C-ARchitect
Banned
Rep
Drives: Miniature Ferrari

I hate matte cars but LOVE satin finishes
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
FMLYSDN1181.50
EzequielR257.00
      09-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #28
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I saw a frozen blue I really liked. I'd need to see a frozen black in person.
      09-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #29
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-T
Not the best camera work apologies...opinions?
Not a fan of the frozen look as it looks like primer.
      09-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #30
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAttack View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #31
Emsan
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Can anyone comment on cleaning a frozen car. I heard keeping wrapped matte cars is an absolute PITA. But is the factory Frozen colours from BMW the same story or are they actually totally different? I assume they are much higher quality than even the best wrap jobs, and I'm going to assume BMW will clear coat it but can anyone tell me based on experience?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 07:32 PM   #32
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Frozen black looks great
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #33
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emsan View Post
Can anyone comment on cleaning a frozen car. I heard keeping wrapped matte cars is an absolute PITA. But is the factory Frozen colours from BMW the same story or are they actually totally different? I assume they are much higher quality than even the best wrap jobs, and I'm going to assume BMW will clear coat it but can anyone tell me based on experience?

Thanks
Perhaps a little reading of the thread will provide a bit of insight and answers to your questions.

Further use of the search function will direct you to a few threads that discuss this very topic.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 07:43 PM   #34
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAttack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-T
Not the best camera work apologies...opinions?
:

I am assuming your comment is based upon not having seen the Frozen paint in person and merely from photographs?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 11:55 AM   #35
Emsan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLYSDN View Post
Perhaps a little reading of the thread will provide a bit of insight and answers to your questions.

Further use of the search function will direct you to a few threads that discuss this very topic.
Perhaps I did read the thread and the insight wasn't enough to convince me that the BMW factory "matte" is as easy to clean as regular paint. All was provided was "don't polish and wash it regularly" which is as vague and mundane as it gets.

I'm an avid detailer, no, not john doe who buys OTS stuff from Canadian tire and some random simoniz polisher and calls himself a detailer. I know a bit or two about paint correction and paint care and most certainly know more than your average car owner that isn't a professional detailer. If "don't polish and wash regularly" is enough info for you, it shows you know little about paint care. Secondly, I have not worked on a factory matte car, they are few and far between.

I also did use the search function. Since you're an expert and you love and defend your frozen e90 so much, why don't you shed some light instead of tilting your nose up.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 12:03 PM   #36
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:

Thanks
My understanding is that the BMW frozen paint jobs are just normal paint with a satin clear coat. For example, Frozen Red is Sakhir Orange with a satin clear coat.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 12:04 PM   #37
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Rat rod!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #38
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

Quote:
Perhaps I did read the thread and the insight wasn't enough to convince me that the BMW factory "matte" is as easy to clean as regular paint. All was provided was "don't polish and wash it regularly" which is as vague and mundane as it gets.

I'm an avid detailer, no, not john doe who buys OTS stuff from Canadian tire and some random simoniz polisher and calls himself a detailer. I know a bit or two about paint correction and paint care and most certainly know more than your average car owner that isn't a professional detailer. If "don't polish and wash regularly" is enough info for you, it shows you know little about paint care. Secondly, I have not worked on a factory matte car, they are few and far between.

I also did use the search function. Since you're an expert and you love and defend your frozen e90 so much, why don't you shed some light instead of tilting your nose up.
Here is a video from BMW NA about frozen paints

M
      12-16-2016, 12:13 PM   #39
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

I should mention that the issue with frozen paints is not maintenance but matching the paint should you get in a fender bender or an accident. The WHOLE CAR will have to be painted as there is NO WAY to match the color otherwise. This is the sole reason I didn't order mine in frozen paint. Hope this helps you.

M
      12-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #40
Emsan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
My understanding is that the BMW frozen paint jobs are just normal paint with a satin clear coat. For example, Frozen Red is Sakhir Orange with a satin clear coat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.mba View Post
I should mention that the issue with frozen paints is not maintenance but matching the paint should you get in a fender bender or an accident. The WHOLE CAR will have to be painted as there is NO WAY to match the color otherwise. This is the sole reason I didn't order mine in frozen paint. Hope this helps you.

M
Thanks both of you, helps tremendously as a frozen colour is something I have been considering but I'm OCD and like to keep my cars cleaner than new so the info is very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #41
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I like frozen grey and silver
Appreciate 1
FMLYSDN1181.50
      12-16-2016, 03:08 PM   #42
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

M
Sorry. I am not sure where you got the information that the whole car needed to be repainted? I had a minor collision where my car was hit from behind and the bumper needed to be repainted. The Xpel was removed, the damaged was filled and sanded and then repainted. The work was done by a certified BMW facility and came with a warranty.

As for the finish, there is no indication that the bumper was redone. Excellent work.

Doug's Place in Edmonton.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #43
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

M
Quote:

Ouch. Sensitive?

I don't tout myself as an expert, nor did I explicitly say that I was. I don't feel the need to defend my colour preference as well. To each their own. The purpose of this thread was to garner conversation towards the preference of Frozen Paint. If you were looking for feedback concerning care, I was directing you to a forum function that was going to provide more information in regards to what you inquiring about. I was in no way "tilting my nose" at you and that was a mistake on your part. Members who take some time to read the many threads tend to find themselves more educated about particular topics instead of the quick fix for an answer. At least thats been my experience in the past.

Best of luck on your search!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 04:48 PM   #44
MRCUR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
This is 100% correct. Perhaps the most common misconception about BMW's frozen paints is that they do not have a clear coat which is completely false. BMW even says themselves they designed the paints to withstand going through automatic car washes (seriously - don't do that).

IMO - care & maintenance of frozen paint is easier than non-frozen.
Appreciate 1
scrammer421.50