Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
Milban
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 ordered

Just drove an M4

So, as I've previously posted, I had a great drive in a 6 speed Cayman GTS, and ordered one, leaving two M4's that I had on order (one DCT, and one 6spd).
The DCT arrived at the dealer today, and they offered me a drive, still nicely offering me first refusal. Here are some impressions from a neophyte.
The black metallic looks every bit as good as solid black, my fave.
The car does not appear big, in person, still has the previous generation's nice, small car look.
The leather has that quality, soft semi-gloss look, not too shiney.
Although the DCT did not give as much pleasure, for me, as the manual, it works very, very well. It shifts down when u expect it, even multiple shifts! I read that you could get some hard feeling shifts in the upper rpm's possibly while reducing throttle. I couldn't make it do that, all the shifts were perfect. I've got a lifetime in car repairs and troubleshooting problems, it's a good, smart, transmission.
On light acceleration from a stop, on an up hill grade, I experienced a single mild surge, in first. Could have been my throttle application wavering, I'm not sure.
The SA didn't think it had an "automatic" mode, I pushed the shifter to the right, it did the auto mode just fine. Nice guy, giving me a test drive, doing his best.
Acceleration- Holy Crap! In second or third, a full application of the throttle from a 2500-3000 rpm roll, gives strong acceleration for maybe a second,,,, then, a true a Warp Speed experience! Very controllable with good handling, but you definitely have got to make some plans as to where you're going to go with all that speed! I can easily see how the youngish driver ended up at the tree.
I still wonder about the Porsche, but I've got a feeling that when the 6 speed M4 arrives, I'll be in love.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
RickMonet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milban View Post
.... but I've got a feeling that when the 6 speed M4 arrives, I'll be in love.
Dealerships in CA are telling me no chance of a 6MT test drive - only way to see 6MT is to order and commit.

I am hoping they are wrong and a 6MT demo car will show up in the next month or so.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

Order- you don't have to buy it! If they wanna be jerks...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMonet
Quote:
.... but I've got a feeling that when the 6 speed M4 arrives, I'll be in love.
Dealerships in CA are telling me no chance of a 6MT test drive - only way to see 6MT is to order and commit.

I am hoping they are wrong and a 6MT demo car will show up in the next month or so.
Finding any manual BMW sitting on a dealer lot is pretty rare. Fact is, they just don't sell as well as the autos or DCT (this isn't a comment on which one is better).

Dealers just don't want a car that is going to sit on the lot. They want one that will sell fast.

My guess is that there won't be many, if any at all, dealer ordered cars with a MT.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
Sparco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3 \ Future M2 Comp

Quote:
So, as I've previously posted, I had a great drive in a 6 speed Cayman GTS, and ordered one, leaving two M4's that I had on order (one DCT, and one 6spd).
The DCT arrived at the dealer today, and they offered me a drive, still nicely offering me first refusal. Here are some impressions from a neophyte.
The black metallic looks every bit as good as solid black, my fave.
The car does not appear big, in person, still has the previous generation's nice, small car look.
The leather has that quality, soft semi-gloss look, not too shiney.
Although the DCT did not give as much pleasure, for me, as the manual, it works very, very well. It shifts down when u expect it, even multiple shifts! I read that you could get some hard feeling shifts in the upper rpm's possibly while reducing throttle. I couldn't make it do that, all the shifts were perfect. I've got a lifetime in car repairs and troubleshooting problems, it's a good, smart, transmission.
On light acceleration from a stop, on an up hill grade, I experienced a single mild surge, in first. Could have been my throttle application wavering, I'm not sure.
The SA didn't think it had an "automatic" mode, I pushed the shifter to the right, it did the auto mode just fine. Nice guy, giving me a test drive, doing his best.
Acceleration- Holy Crap! In second or third, a full application of the throttle from a 2500-3000 rpm roll, gives strong acceleration for maybe a second,,,, then, a true a Warp Speed experience! Very controllable with good handling, but you definitely have got to make some plans as to where you're going to go with all that speed! I can easily see how the youngish driver ended up at the tree.
I still wonder about the Porsche, but I've got a feeling that when the 6 speed M4 arrives, I'll be in love.
You drove a Cayman GTS?? Where??
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #6
Milban
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 ordered

My error, sorry, drove an S, ordered a GTS.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #7
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]

warp speed for sure!!
Instagram: IMrMark
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:23 PM   #8
WonderWagon
aka NateDogg elsewhere...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

I have a Cayman GTS on order as well, but all these M reviews are making me think twice. Definitely gonna have to go for a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #9
RickMonet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderWagon View Post
I have a Cayman GTS on order as well, but all these M reviews are making me think twice. Definitely gonna have to go for a test drive.
What does a new Cayman GTS price out at?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 11:37 PM   #10
WonderWagon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMonet View Post
What does a new Cayman GTS price out at?
Starts at around 76, but with dealer discount you can get out the door around 80 if you dont go too crazy with options. So around the same as M3/4 depending on your build.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 11:46 PM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I thought it looked pretty big next to my E92.
My buddy said it feels bigger too and he went from an E90 M3 to an F80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderWagon View Post
Starts at around 76, but with dealer discount you can get out the door around 80 if you dont go too crazy with options. So around the same as M3/4 depending on your build.
They're discounting the GTS already??

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 12:20 AM   #12
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I thought it looked pretty big next to my E92.
My buddy said it feels bigger too and he went from an E90 M3 to an F80.
Yes, that's the first thing that struck me when I saw the M4 - it looked bigger than I expected. Kind of too big for a sport coupe, actually...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 12:38 AM   #13
WonderWagon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
They're discounting the GTS already??

I know some people have gotten up to 6% off. I got 4%. I guess it pays to shop around!
Appreciate 0