BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

07-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #23
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 YMB-MP Carbon-MPE Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82Dude View Post
I always blast the discs with the hose in the vent holes and clear out as much crap as possible. Then use a £15 air blower off fleabay to dry the wheels (and take off the centre caps) and discs. Use it on the door hinge area, grilles and engine bay too!

Thanks for the info, a blower sounds like they way to go and Hot Rims cleaner also....
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #24
Yas_Man
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Speed Yellow M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretrees View Post
Thanks for the info, a blower sounds like they way to go and Hot Rims cleaner also....
I'd never put Hot Rims anywhere near my car - unless it's changed, Hot Rims is an acid based cleaner, I don't car what they say, acid and paint overtime never does any good.

Go to eBay and look for Britemax Iron Max, it's paint friendly, you can spray it on your paint and your wheels, it will lift all iron fillings and brake dust up and will turn purple when it does to show it's working.

I've used it for years on all my cars, by a small bottle to test it out and when you're happy you can buy a gallon container for £50 which lasts forever.

Check out the YouTube videos, everyone raves about it and it's totally acid free.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #25
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yas_Man View Post
I'd never put Hot Rims anywhere near my car - unless it's changed, Hot Rims is an acid based cleaner, I don't car what they say, acid and paint overtime never does any good.

Go to eBay and look for Britemax Iron Max, it's paint friendly, you can spray it on your paint and your wheels, it will lift all iron fillings and brake dust up and will turn purple when it does to show it's working.

I've used it for years on all my cars, by a small bottle to test it out and when you're happy you can buy a gallon container for £50 which lasts forever.

Check out the YouTube videos, everyone raves about it and it's totally acid free.
Good to know about hot rims, but this thread is about the rust afterwords on the rotors not the actually cleaning of the wheels. Sonax wheel cleaner does the same thing, which I own.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #26
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Ok thanks for that, I'm using Gtechinc iron a fall out and poor boys soap wash no acid at all, perhaps there's a few variations of hot rims, it's the rust inhibitor that I am looking for and the blower is a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #27
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for everyone's help, just to recap, my wheels are sealed with Gtechinc and I use Gtechnic iron out and poor boys soap wash, no acid at all, the wheels clean perfectly, it's the rust residue after washing on the discs I'm try to find the best solution for, a blower sounds a great idea and also discussed is hot rims non acidic spray has perhaps a chemical within that stops the rust look and driping rust water marks on to the rims, thanks everyone John
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #28
Yas_Man
Private First Class
Rep

Your cleaning products are fine, the rust inhibitor sounds like marketing hype, oxidisation is a natural process, with your cleaning products and then straight on with the leaf blower and you should be fine sir.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #29
te37
Major
Rep

Hot Wheels MSDS:

Tetrasodium EDTA
Decylamine Oxide
Sodium Metasilicate
Sodium Olefin Sulfonate
2-Propoxyethanol
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 01:55 PM   #30
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Your cleaning products are fine, the rust inhibitor sounds like marketing hype, oxidisation is a natural process, with your cleaning products and then straight on with the leaf blower and you should be fine sir.
Appreciated, going to clean my wheels in the normally way and buy a blower and see how it goes, surely by removing any water will help, thanks John
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 02:18 PM   #31
Yas_Man
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
Hot Wheels MSDS:

Tetrasodium EDTA
Decylamine Oxide
Sodium Metasilicate
Sodium Olefin Sulfonate
2-Propoxyethanol
Anyone here have a chemistry degree
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #32
te37
Major
Rep

Well, I went out and purchased some of this "hot wheels, wheel and tire cleaner". And I am personally going to say under my quick testing it's not going to burn any clear coats, now i would imagine it would strip any waxes you might have had on your wheels.

Took two old rotors and sprayed the left one with the hot wheels and left the right one bare. Then i sprayed them both down with water to see how they would both rust. Ill let the pictures speak for them selves.

Then I took one of my ZCP wheels, that was damaged, and sprayed it down with the hot wheels cleaner in the 90 degree heat and let it soak for 5 minutes then gave it another soaking for 15 minutes then washed it off and i saw no damage to the clear coat on the wheel.

p.s. it does clean VERY well, better than my sonax, but i don't know if i trust it for the long run yet.
Appreciate 2
      07-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #33
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you for going to the bother to test the product, my disc is similar to the right hand one after washing so there must be something in the product that perhaps as a wheel cleaner also works to reduce the rust perhaps not on purpose but it looks to work.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2016, 05:56 AM   #34
iamjim
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80 CP | DCT | SO | CB

If you are left to buying stuff from Halfords (IDK why we are having a discussion based on acidic cleaners on 55k + cars otherwise... as online shops sell a plenty non acidic variants - Bilberry, Sonax etc) may I suggest you look at the AutoGlym Custom wheel cleaning kit - cost me £14.99 the other day when I ran short. I normally use Bilberry when in the UK not available at Halfords and I have plenty of Sonax in the garage in Austria.

This AutoGlym is acid free product and is probably the only acid free cleaner in Halfords. At £5.00 more than the Meguiars (which US based products are totally over-rated irrespective of heritage).

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car...heel-clean-kit

End game is also no rusty discs. I would say stop using acidic cleaners on expensive cars and start worrying about long term damage which may not be apparent in the short term.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 07:29 AM   #35
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, the issue was not wheel cleaning and i am using non acidic products the main issue was the rusting of the discs after a wash and the rust water dripping on to the barrel of the wheel, a dryer seems to be a popular fix, the hot rims was used and it reduced rust as per the pictures.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #36
iamjim
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep

I think the only real solution then is to drive the car forwards and backwards a little with sufficient brake contact on the discs. Then clean wheels again (if required) with a detailer.

I just wouldn't put that purple stuff anywhere near my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 09:58 AM   #37
te37
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversaydie View Post
I think the only real solution then is to drive the car forwards and backwards a little with sufficient brake contact on the discs. Then clean wheels again (if required) with a detailer.

I just wouldn't put that purple stuff anywhere near my car.
I will not be using it on my F80, noticed how none of those parts were f80 parts lol I could probably find a use for it around the house though.

p.s. the acid content is so low it wont damage anything, but I do not want it taking all my wax off every time I clean the wheels. Might be a good wheel well cleaner.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #38
iamjim
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep

Quote:
I will not be using it on my F80, noticed how none of those parts were f80 parts lol I could probably find a use for it around the house though.

p.s. the acid content is so low it wont damage anything, but I do not want it taking all my wax off every time I clean the wheels. Might be a good wheel well cleaner.
Indeed! I thought those discs were the real deal F80 ones

My car will be carbon collective detailed so on the same page.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #39
Yas_Man
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I found that using the Hot Wheels over time on my rims meatn that after about 8 months the brake dust clung to them more and the cleaner became less and less effective, now this could have been down to the clear coat on the wheels or something else but that was after cleaning them every week for 8 months - the car was a 2009 GTR.

I then switched to the Billbury product which was really good before I moved to the super-friend Britemax IronMax which I've used on both my cars for the last year - 18 months, it's the not the best value for money but it is an amazing cleaner, I dont have any issues and I dont have to clay the wheels to get them really clean every 6 months so it gets vote.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #40
BRUNBERG
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe

I fitted the pads from rock auto as recommended on this forum. 80% less brake dust
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 06:18 AM   #41
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

This really really grates me too, especially with the black wheels, as you say. First time you drive the car the barrels turn orange from the rusted discs.

The only solution I've found acceptable so far is to wash car first and try to avoid the wheels as much as possible so the discs remain dry-ish

Then get your wheel shampoo etc ready and if the wheels are not too dirty anyways you should be able to hose, clean and rinse 4 wheels in a few minutes before the brakes even start to turn orange. Once you've rinsed the wheels jump in and drive the car forwards and backwards 5-10 times with foot on the brake.

Then continue with the drying process for the car, you should find that cause the discs never got orange in the first place the inner wheels are wet but with clean water.

I reckon you've got under 5 minutes of time from starting to clean wheels to the discs turning orange, so if wheels are very dirty or not been washed for ages this probably won't work. But I clean my car at least weekly so they are really never needing more than a wash down with some shampoo and a mitt.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 07:12 AM   #42
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, it looks like we have a common problem with the orange dust from the rusting of the discs after a wash, especially as it shows on the black wheels, i have just parted with my 640 and with powder coated black wheels never had this issue perhaps its the drilled discs are letting more water in between the discs and this is causing rust water drips also, thanks to everyone so far for there feedback
Appreciate 0