European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

02-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #23
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

OP: nice review. The suspension would not lower, though, as the adjustable suspension is not air.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #24
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
From a distance, it's hardly an M car unless you know where to look.
I agree that it may give it a rather subdued look..

but to some people having an M car for the sake of telling other people it's an M car isn't a priority
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #25
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Yas Marina Blue M4

Really dislike this plastic on the side here, and that it's black. It's bad enough that it's not leather even with "Full" leather (how is this Full when previous gen M3s, M5/M6 etc all had it?)
I love the extended leather on my E92 and how it also color matches to it to the leather. This would look so much better if it were matching silverstone. I will have to figure out how to get this done on my own.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #26
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelw9

Really dislike this plastic on the side here, and that it's black. It's bad enough that it's not leather even with "Full" leather (how is this Full when previous gen M3s, M5/M6 etc all had it?)
I love the extended leather on my E92 and how it also color matches to it to the leather. This would look so much better if it were matching silverstone. I will have to figure out how to get this done on my own.
Totally agree. Maybe it will show up in the final production car for customers. Always little surprises on launch day!
      02-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #27
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep

Full leather M3 does not have Alcantara headliner but the Nav is absolutely a 10 inch screen.
      02-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #28
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
The M4 looked more sporty to me. The M3 looks too much like the regular 3-series. Maybe it was the black color, but I left the show knowing for sure I'm going M4. I still can't get over the incandescent bulb bullsh!t tail lights, though. Every freaking car that wasn't a Buick or Kia has LED tails.... its ridiculous. I'm gonna wait for the LCI. Hopefully, they change the tails next year.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #29
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Yas Marina Blue M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
The M4 looked more sporty to me. The M3 looks too much like the regular 3-series. Maybe it was the black color, but I left the show knowing for sure I'm going M4. I still can't get over the incandescent bulb bullsh!t tail lights, though. Every freaking car that wasn't a Buick or Kia has LED tails.... its ridiculous. I'm gonna wait for the LCI. Hopefully, they change the tails next year.
The 4 series concept had awesome taillights, all LED. Here's to hoping they have them ready and just waiting.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #30
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
I'm sorry, I'd never buy any car black, and definitely never a car like M3. It hides the car way too much, the hood is underwhelming as is, with a color like black, it's even worse. From a distance, it's hardly an M car unless you know where to look.

But as needsdecaf said, to each his own.
It's strange. I have the same opinion (that black hides the more aggressive/sculpted lines of M, AMG, and RS/Quattro cars).

However, it seems like every single one of my friends and family members likes black. They don't care if you can see a car's lines or details.

They just think black looks shiny and menacing. I guess.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #31
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelw9 View Post
The 4 series concept had awesome taillights, all LED. Here's to hoping they have them ready and just waiting.

Proof that BMW is playing games with the customers just because they can.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #32
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Black is also a disaster when it comes to cleaning and detailing. You have to wax and polish a lot more frequently to get the most out of the color.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #33
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Someone else already mentioned it but another disappointment was the full leather thing. There is now a lot more plastic somehow, where E92 had leather is not anymore and also there is a lot less the colored leather, a lot of standard black leather. Its not like in M5 or in the old M3 where the entire leather area would be the same color.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #34
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig
Someone else already mentioned it but another disappointment was the full leather thing. There is now a lot more plastic somehow, where E92 had leather is not anymore and also there is a lot less the colored leather, a lot of standard black leather. Its not like in M5 or in the old M3 where the entire leather area would be the same color.
Yup. That's why I said its a very sporty interior and not a luxurious one.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #35
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Could someone please try to find the wheel offsets?

Just use your phone's back (selfie) camera and stick it between the spokes to see what the ET is.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #36
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Could someone please try to find the wheel offsets?

Just use your phone's back (selfie) camera and stick it between the spokes to see what the ET is.

I have actually done that and based on my unscientific measurements, the offsets are off on the M3 and will not accommodate the 18s from the current E9X M3. I believe there is about 1 cm difference
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #37
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Quote:
Yup. That's why I said its a very sporty interior and not a luxurious one.
I will wait until we see a full customer production car to see where the treatments end up being but to be clear the F8x interior is an exponential upgrade from the E92. We may be justified in nitpicking some stuff and we should so hopefully BMW will listen and make adjustments unless the change was already planned in customer cars. Will see. I wonder now what surprises did the E92 had in production from late pre-production cars? Maybe some insight there.
      02-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #38
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by karbonphiber View Post
what the heck is leather carbon fiber? Do you mean matte/satin?

The CF trim pieces are clear coated, like the roof, which gives it a glossy finish...
Have you ever seen CF leather trim in the current M3? It looks like this : http://www.reveuro.com/inventory/120...W-white-35.jpg

In my opinion, that looks far more classy than this. This looks too much cadillac/mercedes, not the subtle, understated BMW work. It's way too flashy. Both my wife and my friend who were with me today actually thought the CF trim in the M3 was plastic. I am not joking.
The CF leather trim isn't actually carbon Fiber. It is leather with a pattern.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #39
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

interesting. I've noticed that tradionally US spec cars had mph in the speedometer with kmh in smaller print. This new F8x does not. I'm thinking BMW got wise and took them off to make importing to Canada more difficult.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #40
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbonphiber
Quote:
Have you ever seen CF leather trim in the current M3? It looks like this : http://www.reveuro.com/inventory/120...W-white-35.jpg

In my opinion, that looks far more classy than this. This looks too much cadillac/mercedes, not the subtle, understated BMW work. It's way too flashy. Both my wife and my friend who were with me today actually thought the CF trim in the M3 was plastic. I am not joking.
that's the first time i've ever seen carbon fiber leather...it even has stitching through it.

I understand what you're saying though - You prefer matte carbon fiber trim over high gloss
It's not actual carbon fiber.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #41
jballs16
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 RS6, RR LWB, Raptor

Thanks for the pics, guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #42
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Black is also a disaster when it comes to cleaning and detailing. You have to wax and polish a lot more frequently to get the most out of the color.
A terrible downside to a black car. Swirls and any other micro scratches on the clear coat can ruin the look of a black car. Polishing is very time consuming. Water spots come easily like mushrooms after the rain.

This is one reason I'm trying very hard to like another color, but BMW's color palette for this car leaves something to be desired. I was anticipating a darker blue, and it would have been an easy choice since I've never owned a blue car. YMB seems like a great color, I just want to make sure I don't get buyer's remorse with this color haha
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #43
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
I will wait until we see a full customer production car to see where the treatments end up being but to be clear the F8x interior is an exponential upgrade from the E92. We may be justified in nitpicking some stuff and we should so hopefully BMW will listen and make adjustments unless the change was already planned in customer cars. Will see. I wonder now what surprises did the E92 had in production from late pre-production cars? Maybe some insight there.
This is not nit picking. There is a good portion of the interior that does not have leather which used to be all leather in the previous car. Yes, now the area around the LCD is fully leather vs it wasn't before, but that's besides the point. You don't take away something like this, I hope it's just a mistake.

Also, there is a lot of black standard leather all around the car, doors, dash, etc. When you picked full/extended before (and even now in M5 and M6), all those would be in the same color, not black. Yes there is contrast, but to be honest with you, I don't want contrast. If I pick silverstone full leather, I want the whole dash and doors to be silverstone leather, not half and half.

EDIT : Have a look at this thread to see what full leather should look like. Conceptually, this is also how the outgoing M3 is. http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706792
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #44
TheDeliverator
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A Singularity

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
The entire interior needs to be plaid.

or even better, a speed cloth with some e30 evo flair

This is the only way the guys\gals eating my dust will see and feel this.

V1C / Bel STiR+ / Integrated mirror display / AD08r f255/35 r275/35
/ IND Euro Bumper / MP Splitters / MP Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0