BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-07-2018, 05:55 PM   #45
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I have a dissenting opinion on Lava Orange. I don't like it at all - it's more salmon than it is orange, which disappoints me. I think 911's would benefit from a proper orange, like Lamborghini, McLaren and BMW M have.

Miami blue, on the other hand, is awesome. It's not really blue either, but it just works. My only concern is the color being dated in a few years (like, remember 1990's metallic teal?), but perhaps by then the car would be long gone...
Porsche has a long history of bright and pop type colors. Have you seen lava orange in person? Very different from pictures and certainly doesn’t look salmon colored at all. More like a traffic cone. Check this out: here is Miami blue through different lenses and how the white balance can mess with pictures.

Here is what Lava Orange actually looks like in person.

Maybe the other poster was right and there are a couple of different Lava Oranges. But I was looking at it as a PTS color until my dealer showed it to me in person on a '16 Turbo cab. I didn't like it at all, and it's not as orange as that pic

Ended up a moot point because the PTS would have pushed my allocation so I went for Sapphire blue instead, which was a standard color
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 06:29 PM   #46
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
I’ve already noticed colors disappearing. Any clue as to what they will bring back for the new models?
Very true. Sapphire Blue is discontinued and that is also a stunning metallic blue. I have not yet heard on the 992. You can be mostly certain white, guards red, racing yellow (quite a nice color) and black will be standard colors and you’ll have to pony up beyond that. Funny thing is, PTS is $13k for normal colors that have been done before and $25k for new colors that require R&D but it doesn’t seem to deter anyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 06:48 PM   #47
titan7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40

Quote:
I believe that after the 991 gen is down, Miami Blue and Lava Orange will go back to being PTS only colors, which means that it goes from being a $3200 color to a $13,000 color. On top of that PTS is a very long and convoluted process, if you can even get a PTS allocation.
This. So true, dead on with the MB color in a darker garage without natural light, so many cameras made it look almost Mexico blue outside in the sun. It does get much brighter in full sun and darkens up to turquoise in overcast and low light. That lava is dead on in that photo. Porsches should be gumball colors imo. Back in the 70s most of the colors were bold, white, silver, grey are a boring to me. I think both colors will go PTS on the 992, which is fine as I like being the only MB, have never come across another MB while driving. My sales man had a MB too.

Mine in Different lighting, and next to wife’s YMB m4. Same car, top photo was delivery day, the side decal had to come off when PPF went on, very sad.

Oh I know about that MB GT3, I think I saw at at the CA festival of speed, so which I could swing that but it’s just too much to handle.

Last edited by titan7; 05-07-2018 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #48
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan7 View Post
This. So true, dead on with the MB color in a darker garage without natural light, so many cameras made it look almost Mexico blue outside in the sun. It does get much brighter in full sun and darkens up to turquoise in overcast and low light. That lava is dead on in that photo. Porsches should be gumball colors imo. Back in the 70s most of the colors were bold, white, silver, grey are a boring to me. I think both colors will go PTS on the 992, which is fine as I like being the only MB, have never come across another MB while driving. My sales man had a MB too.

Mine in Different lighting, and next to wife’s YMB m4. Same car, top photo was delivery day, the side decal had to come off when PPF went on, very sad.

Oh I know about that MB GT3, I think I saw at at the CA festival of speed, so which I could swing that but it’s just too much to handle.
Looks great! Just shows how much depth and character Miami blue has. Shame about the decals - they look awesome!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 09:08 PM   #49
titan7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40

Quote:
Looks great! Just shows how much depth and character Miami blue has. Shame about the decals - they look awesome!
Thought about putting them back onagain, Maybe.