Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Question LED Headlights for Canada - Questions

I am still trying to figure out if I will tick the LED headlight option box for my M4 order. I am booked for a May production, so I still have a little time to figure out details of my order. From my research, I understand that there isn't much of a difference in lighting performance between the xenon and the LED. Looks would be my main incentive (yes, go ahead and call me a poseur) and I am a tech geek and like having the latest tech. I do find the $2000 price tag pretty steep for looks only. If I also get some new tech like the split beam functionality, it could push me on ordering them. I have several questions for which I cannot find answers to (even the my sales-rep struggled with those). Does anyone have insight on the following (maybe current Canadian 4-series owners)?
  • What is the difference between "Active LED Headlights" and "Adaptive LED Headlights" (if any)?
  • In the US preliminary order guide, LED headlights are part of $1900 "Lighting Package" that includes High Beam Assistant (5AC). In the official Canadian pricing guide, LED headlights are a stand alone $2000 option (or part of the Exec pack). HBA (5AC) is only mentioned in the $1500 Technology Package. Is the HBA included in Canada with the Active LED Headlights option 552?
  • Is the "split beam" functionality of the LED headlights activated in Canada?
  • To get the "split beam" functionality, does one need to order the HBA as part of the technology pack ($1500)?

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-13-2014 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I am still trying to figure out if I will tick the LED headlight option box for my M4 order. I am booked for a May production, so I still have a little time to figure out details of my order. From my research, I understand that there isn't much of a difference in lighting performance between the xenon and the LED. Looks would be my main incentive (yes, go ahead and call me a poseur) and I am a tech geek and like having the latest tech. I do find the $2000 price tag pretty steep for looks only. If I also get some new tech like the split beam functionality, it could push me on ordering them. I have several questions for which I cannot find answers to (even the my sales-rep struggled with those). Does anyone have insight on the following (maybe current Canadian 4-series owners)?
  • What is the difference between "Active LED Headlights" and "Adaptive LED Headlights" (if any)?
  • In the US preliminary order guide, LED headlights are part of $1900 "Lighting Package" that includes High Beam Assistant (5AC). In official Canadian pricing guide, LED headlights are a stand alone $2000 option (or part of the Exec pack). HBA (5AC) is only mentioned in the $1500 Technology Package. Is the HBA included in Canada with the Adaptive LED Headlights option 552?
  • Is the "split beam" functionality of the LED headlights activated in Canada?
  • To get the "split beam" functionality, does one need to order the HBA as part of the technology pack ($1500)?

I believe that the Adaptive reference refers to the ability to swivel around turns (..just as the Xenons do) relative to steering angle. What Active refers to is anybody's guess. I'm not sure about your Canadian based questions, but HBA is required to have the disabled split beam coding accessible in your car (..it's that way with the 4-Series LED's). I don't have HBA (..nor the camera that comes with it), so I was unable to code the additional functions for my Xenons.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I believe that the Adaptive reference refers to the ability to swivel around turns (..just as the Xenons do) relative to steering angle. What Active refers to is anybody's guess.
This is also my understanding of "adaptive". I am wondering why the Canadian pricing guide mentions "Active LED headlights"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
HBA is required to have the disabled split beam coding accessible in your car (..it's that way with the 4-Series LED's). I don't have HBA (..nor the camera that comes with it), so I was unable to code the additional functions for my Xenons.
This was also my understanding, that you need the HBA camera to have the split beam functionality (either from the OEM or aftermarket coded). Thanks for confirming this.

What I am questioning is if the HBA camera is included in the $2000 "Active LED headlight" option, or do I need to pay the $1500 of the "Tech pack" to get the HBA.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-13-2014 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
What I am questioning is if the HBA camera is included in the "Active LED headlight" option, or do I need to pay the $1500 of the "Tech pack" to get the HBA.
That's a really good question. I know that there are two types of cameras on the F30/32 (..used for different options; HBA vs Lane Departure), and both were able to detect traffic and both allowed for the additional headlight functions to be coded. Even still, that doesn't answer your question about the Active LED headlight. I'm stumped!
Appreciate 0