proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

11-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #45
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

You could get something like this https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-CHAF...=ATVPDKIKX0DER to power the battery charger. You only need to charge the car once every couple of weeks so take this down into the garage, plug this in https://smile.amazon.com/NOCO-G3500-...attery+charger And charge your car.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      10-11-2019, 01:22 AM   #46
sobediny
Registered
Rep
Drives: f80

I have 1500A Audew jump starter and it performs well.
https://www.audew.com/Audew-20000mAh...acyjumpstarter
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 07:17 AM   #47
SholaRolla
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5 E70

Recommended Jump Starter

Are you gonna use it to jump start a lead acid battery or Lifepo4 battery?

If the answer is lead acid battery then I would strongly recommend TOPDON V2200Plus. It is truly a top done battery charger. I have just used it and I was truly impressed. It sure did not disappoint. It just brought that dead box back to life albeit after 2 attempts of boosting which indicated how very dead my battery had been, and it took one level of its four power levels to effectively and triumphantly do so.

The battery had only 2v left after lying dead in the car for 2 weeks. It was quite something. You can hear a lot of rattling and weird rumbling sound in the hood whenever it sent the boost energy into the car to shake and stir the electrical system into action waiting for you to ignite it, No wonder the instruction gives one just 30 seconds to do so. Well, I chose not to hang around the hood to know why. I just went in straight away to hit the "start/stop" thingy on its head and the car roared to life and into a continuous idling after the second attempt.

There is also an application to install into phone to work as tester to check other aspects of the battery such as present voltage, cranking test, alternator charging test and real-time voltage. I think it is a device that no modern day "electronic laden cars" driver (or any car for that matter) should be without. My truly humble opinion from my very own hands-on experience.

As far as LifePO4 is concerned, I am still doing a lot of research on that as I would like to replace my current 100Ah AGM with it as well. I am really getting fed up with the battery dying quickly if you are not driving it regularly because I am not driving mine constantly enough for the alternator to fully charge it enough to leave it unused for a few days. And I live in an apartment block about 500 meter away from where the car is packed and without any AC power outlet to use my CTEK trickle charger. Though it is portable, the 6Ah current it can save for outdoor charging is never enough to fully charge a 100Ah car battery in one session, it needs constant support of an AC power outlet connection or a portable power station inverter.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 07:29 AM   #48
SholaRolla
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
The car has jump points under the hood, you don't need access to the trunk to jump it.
In fact you should never jump start any BMW car from the trunk. The battery was placed by BMW engineers well hidden in the trunk to avoid such an act. The terminals are instead located in the hood so you don't end fry your BMS and other highly sensitive modules with high surge current that can happen when a car is jump started especially from another car.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 07:36 AM   #49
SholaRolla
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
AAA will boost your car using the same pack they just boosted the corolla up the road with.
And that can be dangerous on a BMW.
Appreciate 0