Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #23
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
Quote:
That's pretty much the way I'm thinking about it. But I've got about a year to go back and forth on it, consider at least a dozen other cars, obsess over colors and other trivial matters, and waste many hours on spreadsheets before I need to finalize a decision.
I've had a bunch of convertibles, but it gets ridiculously hot here in the summer. If the seats had some sort of cooling feature it would be an easier decision.
Yeah, I've thought about that. Plus I live West where there are too many bugs at night to drive around with top down. So convertible would mainly be for the winter. Combined with mostly highway driving, not sure it's worth it for me. However, the are some perfect weekend days in the winter that make me wish I had one and since it's a lease I might give one a try out.
There are bugs everywhere in the summer. Does not matter if you live off of US One or off of the turnpike at Lake Worth Road. While there are a few select days that I miss the convertible, I really did not use the convertible top but a handful of times a year. After having 4 of them, I just stopped buying them. Last one was the E46 m3 and that was 10 years ago. I don't miss them.....
Well if you exit on Lake Worth Road from the Turnpike and follow Lake Worth Road west until it ends... I'm west of that. So this is my exact concern with a convertible - how much will I actually put the top down.
Oh....so you are really west like the Loxahatchee area? Now I know what you mean. The love bugs must have been killing you the last couple of weeks.
      06-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #24
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
Oh....so you are really west like the Loxahatchee area? Now I know what you mean. The love bugs must have been killing you the last couple of weeks.
Wellington but all the way in the back near Aero Club / Wanderers Golf.

I haven't had to drive at night lately but yeah those love bugs can be a menace. We just installed a mosquito misting system on our house, mostly so we can take the dogs out at night with at least a little cover. Rain last few days isn't helping. Sort of inconceivable to have a top down out here between May and October.
      06-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #25
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

I haven't had to drive at night lately but yeah those love bugs can be a menace. We just installed a mosquito misting system on our house, mostly so we can take the dogs out at night with at least a little cover. Rain last few days isn't helping. Sort of inconceivable to have a top down out here between May and October.
I think this is why california is 'vert land: no bugs, temps between 70 and 90, no humidity, pretty much always. And a california-90 is slightly warm in the sun, but you could wear jeans and a sweater in the shade.

Course it also means you go through a lot of sunscreen which can get on the interior

Do you fly?
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410885.00
      06-04-2017, 04:25 PM   #26
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I think this is why california is 'vert land: no bugs, temps between 70 and 90, no humidity, pretty much always. And a california-90 is slightly warm in the sun, but you could wear jeans and a sweater in the shade.

Course it also means you go through a lot of sunscreen which can get on the interior

Do you fly?
As you may know I live in Dubai and temps here are like 48C in the summer but that didn't stop me from getting a convertible, in the winter it's awesome to drive with the top down and in the summer, well, it's a hard top so you don't get any heat leakage like you would in a soft top and best of all, it help with the power delivery when the top is down since the weight shifts to the rear end! can't go wrong with it no matter how you look at it

PS: Oh and I forgot, the M4 convertible comes with free tanning sessions
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 04:56 PM   #27
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Quote:

Do you fly?
Yeah I can see that in CA. Not quite the same 1/2 the year here in FL. (The other half is pretty near perfect here as well.)

No I don't fly. The community next door is call Aero Club, which has its own runway and people have hangars on their property (smaller aircraft - no jets). There are also seasonal equestrians in the vicinity. Minus the bugs it's a really nice, safe place to live. But, I'm just a regular guy CPA who is (comparably) slumming it with an M4.
      06-04-2017, 10:32 PM   #28
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
If ur talking dollars the new M5 will be worth 50% of MSRP in 3 years whereas the CS will be closer to 75%. If you want practical get the 18 M3 ZCP and order an individual color with CCBs.
Funny you should say that. This morning I was thinking I could get a new 2018 M3 ZCP with the M Performance HAS coilover kit, which along with Bridgestone RE71-R's would probably make it very close in performance to a stock M4CS (and still I'd be about $15,000 better off - hell - could even get the M Performance Exhaust and STILL come out ahead).

As for the F90 M5 - the price delta would still also be huge even with the M performance suspension (for the M5, unlike an M3, I could no longer use my winter wheels and tires - so that's yet another cost to consider). Again, an M3 ZCP with Bridgestone RE71-R's and M Performance HAS would probably be very close to a stock F90 on the track for a lot less money (although the F90 would clearly be faster straight-line, but I value handling over just straight-line speed).

If I had to pull the trigger now, it would be 2018 M3 ZCP with M Performance HAS suspension.
Appreciate 1
TommyGuk327.00
      06-05-2017, 07:22 AM   #29
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAUROS View Post

Car had DCT and overall it felt the same as the DCT I had in my previous E92 M3.

The soul I'm use to in an M car wasn't entirely present in the M4.
On point #1 - you're one weird dude, because to me the M-DCTs between the E9x and F8x couldn't feel more different. When I first used the F8x, coming off my E9x, I thought it was broken.

On point #2 - you're the 50 millionth person to say that. Other terms used beyond "soulless" are "clinical", "digital", "staid", and "boring". It's a problem with this M4 and quite a few have moved on because of it, especially compared to the E92 which has oodles of personality and not just because of sound.

The good news is, the M4 really comes alive when you push it, but it's a pretty high bar and it's not very predictable, at least not to me, but it does grow on you.

So, for those of us that find it clinical, it can be a little like the Velveteen Rabbit: once you've used it for awhile you come to like it plenty fine.
The e90 M better than the f80 M? I've had both. I'm not sure how you could possibly say that.
Appreciate 2
Jaymax85710.00
Powerslide1095.00
      06-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #30
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
The e90 M better than the f80 M? I've had both. I'm not sure how you could possibly say that.
I said the E9x had way WAY more personality and it wasn't just because of the sound. And since that's true, I can say it, so now you know how.

The F8x is a cold fish comparatively which is how it get its "clinical" and "digital" criticisms and why quite a few of the original buyers on this forum have moved on to other cars. I mean I don't want to name any names like minn19, since that wouldn't be appropriate.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      06-05-2017, 02:02 PM   #31
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
I said the E9x had way WAY more personality and it wasn't just because of the sound. And since that's true, I can say it, so now you know how.

The F8x is a cold fish comparatively which is how it get its "clinical" and "digital" criticisms and why quite a few of the original buyers on this forum have moved on to other cars. I mean I don't want to name any names like minn19, since that wouldn't be appropriate.
Now don't put words in my mouth, I never went quite that far. I'm sure the CS will be wunderbar. I just like a different type of fish.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      06-05-2017, 08:38 PM   #32
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
I said the E9x had way WAY more personality and it wasn't just because of the sound.

The F8x is a cold fish comparatively which is how it get its "clinical" and "digital" criticisms and why quite a few of the original buyers on this forum have moved on to other cars..
I predict that once he f8x goes down in price and people get them to mod and turn into hpde cars the reputation will shift greatly, and the car will be appreciated for how much performance it gives with basic mods.

My guess has been that most buyers to date don't track and don't have formal training so they can't push the car hard (or it scares the crap out of them when they try) and so they never see the f8x when it comes alive.

The older cars were a lot less powerful and had things like engine noise that can be appreciated anywhere and at any skill level

Anyway, to the poster above who will get a base '18 and M HAS and re71r, why not get a base '15 and do full coilovers and r tires. More capability and more savings.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 02:25 PM   #33
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I predict that once he f8x goes down in price and people get them to mod and turn into hpde cars the reputation will shift greatly, and the car will be appreciated for how much performance it gives with basic mods.

My guess has been that most buyers to date don't track and don't have formal training so they can't push the car hard (or it scares the crap out of them when they try) and so they never see the f8x when it comes alive.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #34
Ever.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 MW/SO

Quote:

On point #2 - you're the 50 millionth person to say that. Other terms used beyond "soulless" are "clinical", "digital", "staid", and "boring". It's a problem with this M4 and quite a few have moved on because of it, especially compared to the E92 which has oodles of personality and not just because of sound.

The good news is, the M4 really comes alive when you push it, but it's a pretty high bar and it's not very predictable, at least not to me, but it does grow on you.

So, for those of us that find it clinical, it can be a little like the Velveteen Rabbit: once you've used it for awhile you come to like it plenty fine.
I'm just going to use this the next time I meet another bloke who asks me about upgrading from an older M to the M4, but have been told and read about the whole "boring" bit in their research. I've ran out of explanations.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      06-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #35
MistaVauros
///M... Nuff Said.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Anyone know when the CS will officially be announced for the US and when production would begin? Are they waiting for Frankfurt?

"Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today" - J. Dean
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 06:01 AM   #36
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Wait a year. Pick one up 25% off new with 5k miles
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #37
MistaVauros
///M... Nuff Said.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
Yea, I've decided to move forward with a 2018 M4 ZCP order. I'll likely keep the car until the 2nd year of the next gen M4 or switch over to the M5. I really don't see the value in the CS other than a bit of exclusivity. Of course, as soon as a member here posts a Lime Rock Grey CS I'll loose my mind and immediately start looking to trade up for one, LOL!

My fiance told me that whatever I buy next I have to keep for at least two years without trading for or buying something else (I can't blame her).

"Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today" - J. Dean
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #38
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAUROS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
Yea, I've decided to move forward with a 2018 M4 ZCP order. I'll likely keep the car until the 2nd year of the next gen M4 or switch over to the M5. I really don't see the value in the CS other than a bit of exclusivity. Of course, as soon as a member here posts a Lime Rock Grey CS I'll loose my mind and immediately start looking to trade up for one, LOL!

My fiance told me that whatever I buy next I have to keep for at least two years without trading for or buying something else (I can't blame her).
Haha. My wife tried this on me. Didn't work.
      06-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #39
critical_mass
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ps

yes*

*only if they offered a M3CS w/ a manual option
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #40
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: something fast

Is there someone on here that will be buying the M4CS? If so, why not buy an M4GTS?

Is the target market the same or different for the M4CS and the M4 GTS? I can't imagine someone buying an M4CS while the GTS is practically the same price.

Am i missing something?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #41
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_officer View Post
Is there someone on here that will be buying the M4CS? If so, why not buy an M4GTS?

Is the target market the same or different for the M4CS and the M4 GTS? I can't imagine someone buying an M4CS while the GTS is practically the same price.

Am i missing something?
Yes, I'm going with the F82CS... why not? A porsche with all this options would be at least 20k more.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 01:39 PM   #42
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: something fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figurka View Post
Yes, I'm going with the F82CS... why not? A porsche with all this options would be at least 20k more.
That's great, I'm just genuinely curious about why you are choosing the CS over the M4 GTS when the prices are basically the same for a new car. (i.e. new GTSs are $20k below msrp now). Does it basically come down to the CS being more practical for daily driving?

sorry, not comparing to a Porsche GTS... that's a different convo
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 05:28 PM   #43
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_officer View Post

Am i missing something?
I passed on the M4GTS because it sacrificed too much of the daily practicality: no rear seats, obnoxious aero, manually adjustable full coil-overs.

The M4CS does not sacrifice much in terms of practicality compared to standard M4s. However, I am a bit disappointed that they have not upped the performance more than they did.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2017, 05:57 PM   #44
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I passed on the M4GTS because it sacrificed too much of the daily practicality: no rear seats, obnoxious aero, manually adjustable full coil-overs.
That all said, if you could score one on the cheap, it seems like you could fix those issues with a little work/$$$. And you could keep the stock parts of course so as to preserve value for resale later. If depreciation has indeed somewhat bottomed out already (which is by no means a given, I understand) it might make it relatively cheap to own in the long run. I suppose if you only plan to keep it for a few short years (until the G8x M3/M4 is released, say), all of the effort might not be worth it. But it would certainly be an amazing car for someone like yourself who spends so much time on the track as well as daily drives their M3/M4. And a GTS with rear seats added would actually be really cool to see.
Appreciate 0