Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #1
fredo3
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Auto high beam from the other driver's perspective?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Has anyone ever tested to see if the auto high beam function works for on coming traffic. It looks like it does from a drivers perspective but I'm curious to know if someone has been on the receiving end of the high beam when it starts to split the light.

Last edited by fredo3; 12-21-2016 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredo3 View Post
Has anyone ever tested to see if the auto high beam function works for on coming traffic. It looks like it does from a drivers perspectiv but I'm curious to know if someone has been on the receiving end of the high beam when it starts to split the light.
I have it and when I turn it on, I don't notice that the high beams are working even, let alone that part where it should not work for the side where it doesn't see oncoming traffic....... not sure how well this thing works to be honets
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #3
The English Guy
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F80 MW M3 / Cohiba

I have it and I think it works amazingly well. Driving at night its fascinating watching it work and I've never been flashed by an oncoming driver, on any type of road. Watching it split and illuminate everything except the vehicles is fascinating...almost takes to much attention away from the road !
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4583.00
      12-21-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
AustinGelbM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

Mine work as advertised. Great to watch but Ive never been on the receiving end because Im the only driver. I may try to arrange something just to see what other drivers see.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 04:31 PM   #5
fredo3
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

That would be great. They are amazing to watch from the drivers end but I've always wondered what it looked like for the incoming traffic.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #6
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Works perfectly.....I usually use it while traveling on the freeway & non township back roads
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #7
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I haven't tested as OP is asking but use it frequently and never had anyone flash their high beams at me. They work well from my perspective and never seem to bother others drivers..
      12-21-2016, 04:54 PM   #8
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
They have worked really well from what I can tell. If you really want to see something amazing, code your anti-dazzle lights on! The high beam literally moves around other cars! It's actually pretty fun to watch.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 05:44 PM   #9
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

The system gets fooled my signs and takes forever to go back to high beams after passing an oncoming car. I had them on my 16, and left them off my 17 and don't miss them one bit. Some folks like them.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 05:48 PM   #10
CrazyWitness
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

I didn't try them yet in US, but during ED I was trying them, and I am not sure that they was working at all (never saw that car turned on "high beam" automatically).
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #11
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
For those who say that they can't tell a difference or don't see the high beam light on the dashboard, you do realize that you have to enable the Automatic High Beam feature right?

On the end of the turn signal stalk there are two buttons. Pressing the lower button enables auto high beam and has to be turned on every time the lights are on. When the auto high beam function has been enabled, there will be a green high beam light in the middle of the dash display with an "A" on it. When you encounter the correct conditions (must be dark enough, no oncoming cars, no cars in front of you, possibly no street lights), the high beams will come on automatically and an additional blue high beam light on the dashboard will come on.

I don't understand how anyone can't tell if the high beams are on or not. Pretty dramatic difference.

And of course, in the US the lights won't split if you don't have them coded. For those in other countries they may be enabled by default.

Appreciate 1
M4rcel2.00
      12-22-2016, 03:45 AM   #12
***M4***
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M4 CompPack- 6 MT- yas blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
For those who say that they can't tell a difference or don't see the high beam light on the dashboard, you do realize that you have to enable the Automatic High Beam feature right?

On the end of the turn signal stalk there are two buttons. Pressing the lower button enables auto high beam and has to be turned on every time the lights are on. When the auto high beam function has been enabled, there will be a green high beam light in the middle of the dash display with an "A" on it. When you encounter the correct conditions (must be dark enough, no oncoming cars, no cars in front of you, possibly no street lights), the high beams will come on automatically and an additional blue high beam light on the dashboard will come on.

I don't understand how anyone can't tell if the high beams are on or not. Pretty dramatic difference.

And of course, in the US the lights won't split if you don't have them coded. For those in other countries they may be enabled by default.
Why wont the lights split in the US unless they r coded anyone know?
      12-22-2016, 05:49 AM   #13
DreamSlider ///M
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 AB 6MT M3 ZCP (Sabine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***M4*** View Post
Why wont the lights split in the US unless they r coded anyone know?
USDOT rules that are a bit behind the technology curve and are overly draconian. The anti-dazzle is technically not legal in the US.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 06:23 AM   #14
bb1857
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:

Thank you for saying this!!!
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      12-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #15
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M4Misano Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredo3 View Post
Has anyone ever tested to see if the auto high beam function works for on coming traffic. It looks like it does from a drivers perspective but I'm curious to know if someone has been on the receiving end of the high beam when it starts to split the light.
Automatic High Beams just turns the high beams on and off automatically. It works fine.

You're talking about anti-dazzle or no-glare high beams. That works fine, too. My wife's X3 and my M4 are coded for this and we've tested it out on each other.
2004 E85 Z4 3.0 Sport - Sold to brother | 2004 E83 X3 xDrive3.0i - Gone | 2011 E89 Z4 35is - Gone | 2011 F25 X3 xDrive35i - Gone | 2014 E89 Z4 E89 35is - Gone | 2014 F25 X3 xDrive 30i X3 - Gone | 2017 F83 M4 Cabriolet - Gone | 2017 F25 X3 xDrive30i - Gone
2020 G29 Z4 M40i Misanoblau | 2020 G01 M40i Phytonicblau
Casa Suzana, vacation rental villa in Cozumel, Mexico
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 01:55 PM   #16
MrSmileyDC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW F82  [0.00]
Works well for me. Living in the city I rarely get to use the high beams. There is a camera built in right below the rear view mirror which picks up on coming cars headlights or another car in front of you.

ED 8/18 - PCD 10/19 | 2016 F82 M4 6MT | Alpine White | CF Roof | CF Trim | Black Extended Leather | Executive Package | Lighting Package | Adaptive M Suspension | 19" 437M Black Wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #17
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyWitness View Post
I didn't try them yet in US, but during ED I was trying them, and I am not sure that they was working at all (never saw that car turned on "high beam" automatically).
Its the HBA button the the stalk, then a green light pops up on the dash when active. However, your car is coded for high beam only not EURO spec
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #18
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:

I know the A switch to turn on Auto high beams, but like if I'm in a dark road and turn them on, I can't see one bit of a difference in the lighting as if they didn't actually turn on.

I dropped my car today for the first break in service and raised this concern to check the Auto High Beams, let's see what they say

PS: I have the Euro M4 2017 not the US one

I just saw this video, maybe the auto high beams are not turning on because there is enough lighting in the street:

Last edited by Super Spartan; 12-24-2016 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 11:24 PM   #19
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
I know the A switch to turn on Auto high beams, but like if I'm in a dark road and turn them on, I can't see one bit of a difference in the lighting as if they didn't actor more ually turn on.

I just saw this video, maybe the auto high beams are not turning on because there is enough lighting in the street:
This video is exactly how it works. The high beams aren't actually on until the green icon is replaced by the blue icon. That should happen automatically. EDIT: After driving home on Christmas night, it turns out that the green icon stays lit and the blue icon turns on when the high beams come on. If there is an oncoming car, getting closer to a car in front, on any other reason that the computer determines that you don't need high beams anymore, the blue icon turns off. The green icon stays lit as long as you have it in auto high beam mode.

If you're on "a dark road" then I'm not sure you could be in a situation where "there is enough lighting in the street" to not make the auto high beams work correctly. If it's an hour or more after sundown and there's no light in the sky, and there's no streetlights, it should be dark enough to trigger the auto high beams. So maybe yours aren't working correctly. Curious to see what the dealer says.

The first opportunity I had to use my auto high beams was during our Euro Delivery. We were driving from Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany and we were on a windy, twisty two-lane mountain road traveling south to Italy. It started getting dark, the headlights came on so I pressed the "A" button but nothing happened. This went on until the light was completely gone from the sky and was the sky was black. Suddenly the high beams came on. After that it automatically dimmed for every oncoming car and went back to high beam after the car passed. It worked perfectly!

Last edited by SD ///M4; 12-26-2016 at 12:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #20
AustinGelbM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

Quote:
This video is exactly how it works. The high beams aren't actually on until the green icon is replaced by the blue icon. That should happen automatically.

If you're on "a dark road" then I'm not sure you could be in a situation where "there is enough lighting in the street" to not make the auto high beams work correctly. If it's an hour or more after sundown and there's no light in the sky, and there's no streetlights, it should be dark enough to trigger the auto high beams. So maybe yours aren't working correctly. Curious to see what the dealer says.

The first opportunity I had to use my auto high beams was during our Euro Delivery. We were driving from Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany and we were on a windy, twisty two-lane mountain road traveling south to Italy. It started getting dark, the headlights came on so I pressed the "A" button but nothing happened. This went on until the light was completely gone from the sky and was the sky was black. Suddenly the high beams came on. After that it automatically dimmed for every oncoming car and went back to high beam after the car passed. It worked perfectly!

All true. But with the adaptive LEDs it will sometimes remain on high beam and create a moving "black hole" around an oncoming car or when trailing a car. Impressive to see.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 12:05 AM   #21
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGelbM4 View Post
All true. But with the adaptive LEDs it will sometimes remain on high beam and create a moving "black hole" around an oncoming car or when trailing a car. Impressive to see.
Right, but only if the LED headlights are code to Euro spec. I'm looking forward to finally having enough time in the next couple of weeks to code my lights.

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 12:13 AM   #22
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

I never get flashed by on coming traffic but people going my direction let me know they are irritated. maybe they see the high beams going on/off even if they are notbeing aimed at.
Appreciate 0