Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #45
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive, '2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpersM3 View Post
This is what I did
I did the same but with Magnaflow Sport system. I love the sound!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 12:42 AM   #46
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Finally got around to seeing if the miltek will work

Couple issues, left side curve at end is sleeved causing angle to be off slightly, and ID of miltek is 70mm vs mpe 65mm

Have taken some measurements and will leave the pipe here to mod - will cut just after the second bend and weld in a reducer

If it still doesn't line up after that I'll be knocking on fabspeed's door

Appreciate 1
      04-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #47
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Anybody look at the Borla mid pipes? I am going to investigate
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 04:31 PM   #48
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
Anybody look at the Borla mid pipes? I am going to investigate
I had asked one of the vendors on here and they are unable to confirm if it will work with the MPE. It looks like it should be maybe someone else can either confirm for sure or volunteers to be the guinea pig.

It's amazing how many people failed to understand that OP wants a plug and play option that is easily reversible. I'm about to get my MPE on Monday and looking to NOT cut my stock exhaust, delete the secondary cats, and an easy self install while it's on my Bro-in-law's lift.

I'm also waiting to hear back from Fabspeed as I will go with that option if I can't find anything else.

The Turner test pipes will not work. Hopefully someone will confirm if Borla will work soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #49
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

I actually spoke with Borla and they had no idea. If it is long enough you can cut to size to slip into the flared entrance to the MPE.......they gave me length measurements but have not been able to get my car up and measure
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #50
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckyeahbro69 View Post
I gutted my secondary cats when I had the exhaust apart installing the MPE. Where it's cut makes it pretty easy to knock them out with a prybar and a hammer or whatever you have laying around. A pipe may work also, but a prybar was nice because the bend allows you to get every bit of the cat pretty easily. Wear a breathing apparatus also. You don't want to breathe that crap in.
How does it sound?

Can you please share a video?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 12:44 PM   #51
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpersM3 View Post
This is what I did
How does it sound with the pipes like that?

Can you please post a video?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #52
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

So based on these pictures the Miltek is long enough to reach the flared MPE entrance but the pipe did is too large from what you say.

The Borla pipes are 2.5in via or aprox 65mm so will slide into the MPE but the question is will it be long enough to reach the MPE. That is what I meed to figure out.

I will be taking my MPE can in to have the now cracked r/h side welded and then have them gusset the side pipes to resist the flex and chances of additional cracking i hope. At that time i will try and do measurements and see if the Borla pipe will fit.

I tried to contact mstarr0388 on the forum since he was selling a set and see if he used them with the MPE but he has never replied

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 04-25-2017 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2017, 04:15 PM   #53
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So based on these pictures the Miltek is long enough to reach the flared MPE entrance but the pipe did is too large from what you say.

The Borla pipes are 2.5in via or aprox 65mm so will slide into the MPE but the question is will it be long enough to reach the MPE. That is what I meed to figure out.

I will be taking my MPE can in to have the now cracked r/h side welded and then have them gusset the side pipes to resist the flex and chances of additional cracking i hope. At that time i will try and do measurements and see if the Borla pipe will fit.

I tried to contact mstarr0388 on the forum since he was selling a set and see if he used them with the MPE but he has never replied
Guessing from one of his responses, he probably was using them with stock exhaust not MPE.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #54
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
Guessing from one of his responses, he probably was using them with stock exhaust not MPE.
Thanks for the research So I will do my investigation this weekend. I have the spec measurements so will do my best to ball park the fit. If the Borla pipes will reach the MPE inlets without modification then I am all in for a set. The MPE already has a h-pipe designed into it
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 05:30 PM   #55
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the research So I will do my investigation this weekend. I have the spec measurements so will do my best to ball park the fit. If the Borla pipes will reach the MPE inlets without modification then I am all in for a set. The MPE already has a h-pipe designed into it
Looking forward to seeing what your analysis concludes!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 12:11 AM   #56
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I thought removing them would give more rasp. How come it makes the exhaust sound deeper?
slightly louder but more deep exhaust note. flows better. 3 hp,better response and pulls at the high rpms nicer. overall a worthwhile upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 02:42 PM   #57
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ok so here is what I came up with to the best of my ability to measure while on the car.

Borla cat delete lengths per them are:
53.07 flange to end of r/h pipe
45.01 flange to end of l/h pipe

My pipes aprox measure with plum-bob:
51 flange to MPE flared pipe entrance r/h
43 flange to MPE flared pipe entrance l/h

Since i didn't take it apart I can't measure how much pipe protrusion I have but i think it can't be more than 1.5 in. Looks like it will only take a max of just below 2in. So based on this information 51in +2 (53) and 43in +2 (45) the Borla cat delete pipes should go right in with maybe slight trimming based on each car variance.

Factory pipes that go into MPE measure 2.5in and the bola spec is 2.5
Borla pipes do not have a cross over but the MPE already has an H-pipe

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 02-13-2024 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2017, 12:34 AM   #58
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ok so here is what I came up with to the best of my ability to measure while on the car.

Borla cat delete lengths per them are:
53.07 flange to end of r/h pipe
45.01 flange to end of l/h pipe

My pipes aprox measure with plum-bob:
51 flange to MPE flared pipe entrance r/h
43 flange to MPE flared pipe entrance l/h

Since i didn't take it apart I can't measure how much pipe protrusion I have but i think it can't be more than 1.5 in. Looks like it will only take a max of just below 2in. So based on this information 51in +2 (53) and 43in +2 (45) the Borla cat delete pipes should go right in with maybe slight trimming based on each car variance.

Factory pipes that go into MPE measure 2.5in and the bola spec is 2.5
Borla pipes do not have a cross over but the MPE already has an H-pipe
This sounds like it's going to practically bolt up. You should see if Borla will give you a hefty discount to try these out. This could bring a few sales their way.
Appreciate 1
Luminous743.00
      05-01-2017, 08:39 AM   #59
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Oh and that really sux on the miltek....They can be had on eBay for cheap $352 shipped Maybe buy and have modified

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Milltek-SSXB...VY97Bm&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #60
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It was just what I was told that secondary cats not only fail the visual but most can't pass the sniffer.

So based on what I am reading the ticket is to replace the cats with a 2 into 1 then back to 2 to remove the raspiness? Does it deepen the tone? Now does putting in a single pipe not kill any performance advantages of the dual pipe flow?

Just curious...
You will pass smog with a secondary delete
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #61
Inprogress
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

So the milltek didn't fit properly?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #62
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inprogress View Post
So the milltek didn't fit properly?
It has to be modified to work with MPE because the ends are sleeved to go over stock exhaust similar to how the MPE is sleeved to go over the stock midpipes.

The Borla midpipes specs appear to be the most promising but someone will need to try it to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #63
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
Hi guys

Been running the mpe on my zcp for a couple months now

The zcp burbles are definitely more pronounced, but only go off below 4k rpm, so pottering around town the exhaust is full of theatre, great

But when im in hills stringing some corners together, and downshifting dropping revs above 4k, the theatre just isn't there. There is the blurt noise when getting off loaded throttle, but it gets drowned out over the wind/engine/road noise

Im now looking at removing the secondary cats to increase the volume

Is there any other way to do this other than spending 1700 on the fabpseed pipes?

I impulse bought the milltek pipes locally for 500 after a long drive last night, but looking at pics i'm going to most likely have to modify them to meet up with the mpe

So before i hack these pipes up, is there any easier way to do this pnp?
You could simply delete your secondary cats at a muffler shop save yourself a lot of money
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #64
Inprogress
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It has to be modified to work with MPE because the ends are sleeved to go over stock exhaust similar to how the MPE is sleeved to go over the stock midpipes.

The Borla midpipes specs appear to be the most promising but someone will need to try it to confirm.
Ah okay, so i should be okay on my stock exhaust setup with aftermarket downpipes
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 10:21 PM   #65
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inprogress View Post
Quote:

Ah okay, so i should be okay on my stock exhaust setup with aftermarket downpipes
No, it won't be plug and play, it looks like only one of the pipes is sleeved so you would need a connector pipe plus you would have to cut the stock mid-pipe similar to installing the MPE but putting in the pipes instead.

I assume you are looking for an option to be able to put the cats on and off when needed (like for inspection or something). If not, just have a muffler shop replace the cats with pipes for the most cost effective solution. You should still be able to pass inspection as long as your car is warmed up.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 10:37 PM   #66
Inprogress
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, it won't be plug and play, it looks like only one of the pipes is sleeved so you would need a connector pipe plus you would have to cut the stock mid-pipe similar to installing the MPE but putting in the pipes instead.

I assume you are looking for an option to be able to put the cats on and off when needed (like for inspection or something). If not, just have a muffler shop replace the cats with pipes for the most cost effective solution. You should still be able to pass inspection as long as your car is warmed up.
I'm not worried about inspection to be honest, i just dont want to spend $900+ on a midpipe on a car i wont have that long...im wondering if the borla midpipe will be sufficient, since im not seeing much info on the milltek midpipes
Appreciate 0