EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

03-05-2017, 12:37 AM   #1
DaveCSparty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Manhattan monthly parking

So I'll be bringing my M3 home next weekend. My biggest worry about owning this car since I've placed the order is finally here. I'm really concerned about letting my neighborhood (the Village) valet garages handle my car since the garages are usually small and they pack cars in like sardines.

I've seen how close they keep cars each other and there's no way they are not parking by feel.

Alternative I'm looking at Pier 40 which is about a 10 minute bike ride away, but at least I can self park. I will only use the car on weekends, so a bit out of the way is not the end of the world.

I'm writing here to see if anyone can share their parking experiences about owning an M in the city. Anyone had luck with Icon Parking and working out a park and lock arrangement?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 08:34 AM   #2
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCSparty View Post
So I'll be bringing my M3 home next weekend. My biggest worry about owning this car since I've placed the order is finally here. I'm really concerned about letting my neighborhood (the Village) valet garages handle my car since the garages are usually small and they pack cars in like sardines.

I've seen how close they keep cars each other and there's no way they are not parking by feel.

Alternative I'm looking at Pier 40 which is about a 10 minute bike ride away, but at least I can self park. I will only use the car on weekends, so a bit out of the way is not the end of the world.

I'm writing here to see if anyone can share their parking experiences about owning an M in the city. Anyone had luck with Icon Parking and working out a park and lock arrangement?
If you can make it work with self-parking then I'd definitely go for that. I have the same preference and am very happy that I can self park. On the other hand, the few times I had to "valet" park with ICON or others there was never a problem, those guys are good and in Manhattan no-one is going to take your car for a Ferris ride...

Still, would not like to do that all the time; plus I don't like other guys pressing the buttons...
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
Rid3r
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candide13 View Post
Quote:

If you can make it work with self-parking then I'd definitely go for that. I have the same preference and am very happy that I can self park. On the other hand, the few times I had to "valet" park with ICON or others there was never a problem, those guys are good and in Manhattan no-one is going to take your car for a Ferris ride...

Still, would not like to do that all the time; plus I don't like other guys pressing the buttons...
+1 on icon parking garages, have had good experience with them whenever I drive to work and park the m3 with them
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #4
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
A long time ago, I used to live in the east village. It wasn't an M, but I bought a new car which I parked in a garage on 11th st for a few months before I moved out of the city. By the time I left, my brand new car looked like it had taken machine gun fire on the doors. I'm sure they will take care of a new M, but personally if I ever moved back to the city, I would sell my nice cars and get a hooptie. Self park might not be so bad...
Appreciate 3
      03-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #5
DaveCSparty
Private First Class
Rep

I went and checked out Pier 40 and the Icon Parking garage next to my building today. Pier 40 is a bit out of the way, but it's a huge self park facility. Seems ok but it's sitting on the water so I'd be nervous about the next super storm. I wonder how it did when Sandy hit.

The next door garage left really bad taste in my mouth. Online you can sign up for monthly parking at $400. I went to talk to the manager today and he started to size me up asking things like "is your car new?". I asked why does it matter and he was just like "you know... new car costs more, I'm pretty full here only 20 spots left". He pointed out to me that the sign says $800 for a monthly parker but he can give it to me for $600.

I don't get these shady local businesses in NYC that runs like it's still the 1980s. No way I would ever trust them with my car.

Anyone tried the automatic facility in Chinatown? Looks pretty awesome but they want to charge an extra fee for "luxury vehicles" including BMW.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/automotion-parking-manhattan
Appreciate 1
r2087.00
      03-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #6
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Either way........get yourself a dashcam for sure

Appreciate 1
      03-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #7
MMVIII
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport

if you're close to the L, there's a garage inside the william vale hotel in williamsburg for 250 a month, but it's full valet and i think there's an icon parking at like kent and n6/7th or something like that
[IMG]https://images.craigslist.org/00g0g_...KV_600x450.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #8
DaveCSparty
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER View Post
Either way........get yourself a dashcam for sure
Most definitely. Getting Thinkware F770 2CH and Cellink B + expansion installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M4 ZCP

Geez, paying to park and having to worry must suk! I feel sorry for you NY guys. I'd freak out!
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #10
TurboAL47
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M4 / X5

Garage List
Quote:
I went and checked out Pier 40 and the Icon Parking garage next to my building today. Pier 40 is a bit out of the way, but it's a huge self park facility. Seems ok but it's sitting on the water so I'd be nervous about the next super storm. I wonder how it did when Sandy hit.

The next door garage left really bad taste in my mouth. Online you can sign up for monthly parking at $400. I went to talk to the manager today and he started to size me up asking things like "is your car new?". I asked why does it matter and he was just like "you know... new car costs more, I'm pretty full here only 20 spots left". He pointed out to me that the sign says $800 for a monthly parker but he can give it to me for $600.

I don't get these shady local businesses in NYC that runs like it's still the 1980s. No way I would ever trust them with my car.

Anyone tried the automatic facility in Chinatown? Looks pretty awesome but they want to charge an extra fee for "luxury vehicles" including BMW.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/automotion-parking-manhattan
yes that place is awesome. parked my old 335 there twice (was lowered as well) and also my x5 a couple of years ago. you can take the keys with you so no worries ever. that's the only place i'd consider parking my m4. according to that yelp link it has a monthly parking cost of $650.

there's a place in midtown across from my office that coworkers and i have a good experience with. a lambo parks there all the time if that means anything. it shares a lot with a Hertz but i imagine monthly prices to be insane. they do $20 for 12 hours before 10am so i've parked there twice with the x5.

'22 G82 M4 - Individual Marina Bay Blue 6MT | MBB G82 Ongoing Build Thread
'21 AW G05 X5 xDrive40i MSport

'15 SS/SO F82 - M4 - SOLD| Industry City Shoot
'08 AW E92 - 335xi - SOLD[/b] | Mods and Photoshoot
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2017, 01:55 PM   #11
mdai245
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i XDrive

The auto parking facility is like parking your car on a constantly moving conveyor belt. Not so sure I would trust it for long term parking.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #12
TurboAL47
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdai245 View Post
The auto parking facility is like parking your car on a constantly moving conveyor belt. Not so sure I would trust it for long term parking.
it just moves to it's spot on a shelf then stays there. the only time it moves again is when you retrieve it.

Appreciate 1
Kief4432.50
      03-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #13
DaveCSparty
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdai245 View Post
Can you please explain?

Here are a couple vids:

Appreciate 1
      03-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #14
DaveCSparty
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboAL47 View Post
yes that place is awesome. parked my old 335 there twice (was lowered as well) and also my x5 a couple of years ago. you can take the keys with you so no worries ever. that's the only place i'd consider parking my m4. according to that yelp link it has a monthly parking cost of $650.

there's a place in midtown across from my office that coworkers and i have a good experience with. a lambo parks there all the time if that means anything. it shares a lot with a Hertz but i imagine monthly prices to be insane. they do $20 for 12 hours before 10am so i've parked there twice with the x5.
$650 plus tax... yea that brings it up to $720+ a month. Ouch.

Where are you in midtown?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #15
TurboAL47
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
$650 plus tax... yea that brings it up to $720+ a month. Ouch.

Where are you in midtown?
55th between 6th and 7th. i'll pass by the lot and PM you their prices.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #16
mdai245
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i XDrive

Quote:
Can you please explain?

Here are a couple vids:

From parking my car there and looking down into the garage, it looked like cars are constantly being moved around to make room for other cars. My car got lowered into what looked like a spot on a conveyor next to another car.

The video you posted seems like the car is then put in a static spot. If that is the case then it would make more sense.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2017, 09:33 PM   #17
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M4 ZCP

Quote:
Can you please explain?

Here are a couple vids:

Damn, thats pretty cool
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 10:07 PM   #18
DaveCSparty
Private First Class
Rep

They have another location in Gramercy/Murray Hill:

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 10:34 PM   #19
rir9005
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 grand coupe 428i

Another issue will be if you leave any valuables in the vehicle
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #20
r20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328

Quote:

Dave,
Congrats on the car.

No matter where you park in the city the car is going to get destroyed.

I would just pay for the cheapest lot near your building so you can access your car in seconds.

When you drop it off, tell the guy you won't get it till next weekend, they'll pack it away near other monthlies.

The problem even with self park, your not going to stop someone from dinging your doors, etc..

Also, at least if you valet they have insurance.

And dang... i was complaining about paying $450a month downtown.... didn't realize parking was so expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #21
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

Take PATH train to Hoboken- reserved self parking for $400 a month.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #22
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Lincoln center 62 and 10th ave & MSG 31st and 7th. Ive used the MSG lot for self parking. Ground clearance is not bad.
Appreciate 0