Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #45
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
Well, I Guess this threads settles the debate thread as to whether you would purchase a performance center M car.

Best of Luck OP
One of the dealers in IN was selling a similar performance center vehicle. They were trying to advertise it as "executive used."

The sales person told me that this vehicle has been flagged by BMW and could not be CPO'd (policy regarding corporate cars).

I just checked their website and it looks like someone already purchased it.... lucky person lol
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 07:51 PM   #46
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

M School Performance Center / Driving Event cars are super easy to spot. Don't get screwed people. Be smart.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1403326
Appreciate 2
minn1914010.50
jmg18649.50
      08-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #47
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbueno View Post
No need for the OP to re-live the poor purchase decision.... there are some good options mentioned, lemon-law it or go with extended warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
I ask again- Does Lemon Law cover used vehicles?
Lemon law doesn't cover used cars and BMW backed extended warranty isn't available on M school cars.
Bummer for Lemon Law, but Dealer can most certainly add an extended 3rd party warranty
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #48
MrBeard420
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 F82

Quote:
So if you are on the highway with cruise control on anywhere from 64-74 Mph, you get a major vibration? Have you test driven more than 1 new cars under the same conditions and roads and they don't have the problem? If it's not the rims or wheels, either lemon law it or sell it. Hopefully BMW will end up buying it back either voluntarily or involuntarily. Lesson learned - don't buy an M School car unless maybe heavily discounted to compensate for likely many service visits down the road. I actually started a thread in the buying forum which discusses used M School cars that Bmw NA sell to the public for 'normal' used 5-7k mile prices. Ludicrous! Please keep us posted.
But this also implies that you can't beat the car the way it's made to be done. They say it's a performance car! Maybe that's why they got mad at me when I brought in my 15 435i one year owned with 48,000 miles on it lol
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #49
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

"(NOTE: I did not know the vehicle as driven at a performance center until I was 99% complete with signing the paperwork and slid this disclosure in on me. (somewhat shady operations) By that point I was committed and trusted that Warranty would cover me if I had any issues)."

This would have had me "lawyer up". Sorry to hear, I am not sure if this is your first M car but it is a great car but not worth it at this point with all this effort. You pay to drive a car not use its warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 02:51 PM   #50
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeard420 View Post
Quote:
So if you are on the highway with cruise control on anywhere from 64-74 Mph, you get a major vibration? Have you test driven more than 1 new cars under the same conditions and roads and they don't have the problem? If it's not the rims or wheels, either lemon law it or sell it. Hopefully BMW will end up buying it back either voluntarily or involuntarily. Lesson learned - don't buy an M School car unless maybe heavily discounted to compensate for likely many service visits down the road. I actually started a thread in the buying forum which discusses used M School cars that Bmw NA sell to the public for 'normal' used 5-7k mile prices. Ludicrous! Please keep us posted.
But this also implies that you can't beat the car the way it's made to be done. They say it's a performance car! Maybe that's why they got mad at me when I brought in my 15 435i one year owned with 48,000 miles on it lol
There is a difference between a performance car and a dedicated race/track car. At the Performance Centers, they aren't using the cars to pick up the kids from daycare and once in a while have a go on the track. They are literally being beaten on real race tracks all day every day. There isn't a race car on the planet that doesn't have transmissions, driveshafts and other components replaced due to wear and tear.

I think there are a lot of unreasonable expectations that a BMW can be continuously abused on the track then everything should be honky dory after that. Yes, the M cars perform great on the track; it's not free from wear and tear though.
Appreciate 4
RickFLM410951.50
Draper3458.00
minn1914010.50
GrussGott18114.50
      08-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #51
09carreras
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scash62 View Post
The driveshaft was my last recommendation and they did not want to put more time and money into trying to resolve. That is about the only thing they have not replaced and makes sense to me.

BMW North America - has formally said that this is considered normal and they were closing my case. Really, vibration only at a certain speed under load and once led them to replace transmission, mounts, differential, 1 axle, and now the vibration is less than it once was, it still exists at the exact same place which means there is still something going on.
I had the same problem and the driveshaft was the solution. The problem was I got caught up in the diff recall and the port installed the driveshaft 1 tooth off. The vibration you described is the same symptoms. So I wonder if the dealer reinstalled the driveshaft incorrectly. They originally said it was normal as well. The best part is I drove it for 2 weeks in Germany and the car was perfect before the the port fucked it up. The original driveshaft began to have stress cracks in the CF due to the improper installation.

Good luck and get a lemon law lawyer!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 06:24 PM   #52
Dazman
Canada
Rep
Drives: /

Could the issue be related to the CF shaft and that's why they are moving to steel?

Vibrations at a specific speed usually involves tires or the drive shaft.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 06:52 PM   #53
cwhands
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 SS/CSAT 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazman View Post
Could the issue be related to the CF shaft and that's why they are moving to steel?

Vibrations at a specific speed usually involves tires or the drive shaft.
Let's not get this one started. They're moving to that steel nonsense to allow fitment of a "Particulate Filter."

Not to say his driveshaft isn't the issue.. I just think the material is irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 08:13 PM   #54
09carreras
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhands View Post
Let's not get this one started. They're moving to that steel nonsense to allow fitment of a "Particulate Filter."

Not to say his driveshaft isn't the issue.. I just think the material is irrelevant.
This has nothing to do with material. My situation was different.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 05:28 AM   #55
ThaGeNeCySt
Rep
Drives: MY18 F80

damn dude... that stinks. I hope you get this resolved somehow. (I live pretty close to Hendrick.. aside from them upping a quote on me, they're pretty cool)

I feel like there was a thread here I saw within the last couple of months about avoiding cars from one of the M schools and a few posters saying they'd trust buying those cars without issue
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #56
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

This situation stinks in many levels. I am not a lawyer and live in a different state, but I'd have to imagine that they way the vehicle was presented and how the information was revealed (very late in the sale), just reeks of bad faith on the part of the dealer.

Unless there is a very specific document that was signed explaining how warranty coverage was different form a regular car, I would imagine there would be enough of an argument there that BMWNA and the dealer would be better served helping to resolve the matter.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 08:37 AM   #57
Dazman
Canada
Rep
Drives: /

Well I hope they checked the tires and the wheels. I had a situation on one of my cars where the tires would go out of balance even after being road forced. We finally narrowed it down to this after multiple rebalancing of the tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 08:59 AM   #58
dreventador
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, Hellrot F80 M4

Sorry to hear! Hope everything works out for you man! Just keep on bothering BMW about it. It's a matter of time before they resolve this issue
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 01:51 PM   #59
scash62
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 F80

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
My thought is driveshaft as well, especially since they replaced the transmission and the differential. I made that suggestion and the Local dealership said they were not going to put any more time and money into repairing this vehicle. Then a few days later BMWNA officially stated that this is now considered normal.

BMW North America responded to my Better Business Bureau complaint stating that a regional engineer had inspected my vehicle and found there to be no mechanical issues.

This is a false statement because I was supposed to meet a regional engineer to inspect my vehicle on multiple occasions and they did not show up.

https://bluecomplaints.bbb.org/Manager.aspx?m=24097400
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #60
mdemon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AY F80 M3

Quote:
My thought is driveshaft as well, especially since they replaced the transmission and the differential. I made that suggestion and the Local dealership said they were not going to put any more time and money into repairing this vehicle. Then a few days later BMWNA officially stated that this is now considered normal.

BMW North America responded to my Better Business Bureau complaint stating that a regional engineer had inspected my vehicle and found there to be no mechanical issues.

This is a false statement because I was supposed to meet a regional engineer to inspect my vehicle on multiple occasions and they did not show up.

https://bluecomplaints.bbb.org/Manager.aspx?m=24097400

Sorry to hear about this.

1. Take your car to a performance shop nearby , pay someone directly to look at it. Check for exhaust pipes touching the body, wheel and tire balancing and also look for anything abnormal on visual inspection.

2. What does the disclosure for performance delivery said? They're notorious to remove further liability or exempt to lemon law when doing this deal.

3. if nothing works out in favor, call bmw and ask for compensation for emotional distress, inconvenience and 2 months of no car.

4. Trade in your car at a dealer ASAP(using that inconvenience compensation-5-10k is normal) and blast that cars VIN so nobody gets stuck with it.

See what works in your favor.
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #61
scash62
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 F80

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yes, I noticed my average MPG over the 5200 miles was 9 MPG and today after 10,000 miles my average is over 20 MPG. That tells me it was driven at full throttle almost 100% of the time.

I would have a hard time getting my average MPH down to 9 MPH.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #62
DaveCSparty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

I can't believe they aren't going to fix it. Customer service IS important. People are willing to overlook flaws if they are taken care of right. See Apple for example.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #63
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCSparty View Post
I can't believe they aren't going to fix it. Customer service IS important. People are willing to overlook flaws if they are taken care of right. See Apple for example.
Not defending BMW here, but Apple loses very little money replacing or fixing your broken iPhone/Watch under warranty (at MOST $100/200). BMW can be in the hole anywhere between $1000 and $35k in the hole for fixing an issue. Not to mention that the dealer bears the upfront cost in labor and parts before even getting reimbursed by BMW NA or AG. I guess what I am saying is that I see why a dealer and BMW are more likely to try to find any reason out of a warranty issue that will cost them a lot of money. Apple could care less because the margin on their products is so high, there is high volume, and they have more cash on hand than the US government. BMW, not so much.

It is still very screwed up, but I have no problem believing it.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #64
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Yes, I noticed my average MPG over the 5200 miles was 9 MPG and today after 10,000 miles my average is over 20 MPG. That tells me it was driven at full throttle almost 100% of the time.

I would have a hard time getting my average MPH down to 9 MPH.
It's not that hard (based on a time/distance, not just distance calculation, so idling can wipe that out).

I doubt this was looked at as a potential cause, but if it can be done, the REAR Supplemental Shock Abdorbers (bump stops) may be of interest in this particular case if it is the specific car I know.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #65
Golfster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: DD: Macan GTS, W/E: 992S

OP, sorry you're having this nightmarish experience, from the sneaky notice of the car's prior status to the ongoing issues.

If it were me, I'd dump/trade the car at the first possible chance. Sure, that may result in a financial loss but your time and satisfaction are worth money as well. And with this experience, I'd probably leave both this dealer and BMW far behind. Otherwise, I'd consult an attorney with expertise in these situations to determine what, if any, recourse you might have relative to your state laws.

I wish you luck and hope it ultimately gets resolved to your satisfaction.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #66
Eric@NRP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

A friends m4 had the same exact symptoms. Replaced a bunch of stuff and culprit ended up being the driveshaft
Appreciate 0