Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

06-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #23
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicchicken View Post
Thank you SD M4, ummm... I know this might be a stupid question but where would the USB stick be? Where is it plugged in?
It's plugged into the USB port in the center console. I wasn't sure about it, so I left it in my car when I dropped it off after last fall's ED. But on re-delivery stateside, it was left for me in the center console (not plugged in).

Quote:
Hello,

I have two more questions. I am assuming I can keep the owners manual and all other manuals in the car right? Also how about the temporary Euro license plates? After I drop off the car can I go ahead and take them off and keep them as souvenirs as well? About that, I noticed that it said that you don't need to drive your car and drop off while you are on your trip but if you do leave it at the Welt Center that they would charge you 75 euros. Why do they charge if you are not going to use the car? They could potentially save on gas since they wouldn't have to fill up the tank. And related to that, what happens if you drop it off with a partial full tank of gas? Do they drain the fuel? I remember the last time I shipped a car via ship that they required the car be almost empty and if it wasn't they wouldn't accept the car for shipment. And can I drive in Germany with my valid USA drivers license or do I have to get an international drivers license?
Two??
  1. There are no manuals in the car when it's delivered at the Welt. They're put in the car at the US port.
  2. I think the rules on the license plates have changed, or at least may be different from drop-off point to drop-off point. In the old days, you could remove the front plate, but had to leave the rear one attached and hope it's in the car when re-delivered. I think that you now must leave both plates on the car. However, in all six of my EDs, any plates that I did not take were in the car at re-delivery.
  3. BMW does not ship the cars back to the States. It's done by a freight forwarder, usually E.H. Harms. I presume the 75 euro charge if for them to come over to the Welt to pick up the car. But don't do that!! Please!
  4. Any gas in the tank at drop-off will be there when the car is re-delivered. I had almost $200 worth of Danish gas in my car when I got it back last year. Now that was a brain cramp.
  5. Germany doesn't require an international drivers license. I think it's Austria and Switzerland that officially requires one, but I stopped bothering a long time ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 12:02 PM   #24
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
Quote:
Thank you SD M4, ummm... I know this might be a stupid question but where would the USB stick be? Where is it plugged in?
It's plugged into the USB port in the center console. I wasn't sure about it, so I left it in my car when I dropped it off last fall during last fall's ED. But on re-delivery stateside, it was left for me in the center console (not plugged in).

Quote:
Hello,

I have two more questions. I am assuming I can keep the owners manual and all other manuals in the car right? Also how about the temporary Euro license plates? After I drop off the car can I go ahead and take them off and keep them as souvenirs as well? About that, I noticed that it said that you don't need to drive your car and drop off while you are on your trip but if you do leave it at the Welt Center that they would charge you 75 euros. Why do they charge if you are not going to use the car? They could potentially save on gas since they wouldn't have to fill up the tank. And related to that, what happens if you drop it off with a partial full tank of gas? Do they drain the fuel? I remember the last time I shipped a car via ship that they required the car be almost empty and if it wasn't they wouldn't accept the car for shipment. And can I drive in Germany with my valid USA drivers license or do I have to get an international drivers license?
Two??
  1. There are no manuals in the car when it's delivered at the Welt. They're put in the car at the US port.
  2. I think the rules on the license plates have changed, or at least may be different from drop-off point to drop-off point. In the old days, you could remove the front plate, but had to leave the rear one attached and hope it's in the car when re-delivered. I think that you now must leave both plates on the car. However, in all six of my EDs, any plates that I did not take were in the car at re-delivery.
  3. BMW does not ship the cars back to the States. It's done by a freight forwarder, usually E.H. Harms. I presume the 75 euro charge if for them to come over the Welt to pick up the car. But don't do that!! Please!
  4. Any gas in the tank at drop-off will be there when the car is re-delivered. I had almost $200 worth of Danish gas in my car when I got it back last year. Now that was a brain cramp.
  5. Germany doesn't require an international drivers license. I think it's Austria and Switzerland that officially requires one, but I stopped bothering a long time ago.
Mine had the manual in the glovebox. I just returned the car in Frankfurt in the 11th.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 12:21 PM   #25
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Mine had the manual in the glovebox. I just returned the car in Frankfurt in the 11th.
Daah. Another brain cramp. You are correct.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #26
ZPinhead
Mouseketeer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3/Tananite

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks in advance!!!
In the armrest console USB port. It will be plugged in there when you pick the car up at the Welt with a dire warning not to unplug it until you drop the car off.

2018 BMW M3, Tanzanite, Competition Pkg, 19" Black Alloy, Cohiba Merino Full
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #27
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPinhead View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance!!!
In the armrest console USB port. It will be plugged in there when you pick the car up at the Welt with a dire warning not to unplug it until you drop the car off.
I had to reset mine after my first destination. Unplugged the usb. Locked and unlocked the car twice with the fob. Plugged it back in and it worked for the rest of the trip. So don't panic if you unplug it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #28
Atomicchicken
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
It's plugged into the USB port in the center console. I wasn't sure about it, so I left it in my car when I dropped it off after last fall's ED. But on re-delivery stateside, it was left for me in the center console (not plugged in).

Two??
  3. BMW does not ship the cars back to the States. It's done by a freight forwarder, usually E.H. Harms. I presume the 75 euro charge if for them to come over to the Welt to pick up the car. But don't do that!! Please!
Sorry, I am terrible at counting....hehe.

About point 3 and shipping back to the States, you mentioned that its done by a freight forwarder, is that a different company that BMW usually uses? Do ED cars get shipped on a different ship than the other cars that are being delivered to the States? Also before dropping off the car, other than being ODC do we have to wash the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #29
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
About point 3 and shipping back to the States, you mentioned that its done by a freight forwarder, is that a different company that BMW usually uses? Do ED cars get shipped on a different ship than the other cars that are being delivered to the States?
EH Harms transports the cars from the ED drop-off location to the port where they join the "factory-direct" cars for ocean shipment.

Quote:
Also before dropping off the car, other than being ODC do we have to wash the car?
I've found that ED cars are not cleaned or wrapped before shipment stateside, so I always try to get a wash done prior to drop-off.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 06:24 AM   #30
Atomicchicken
Private
Rep

Quote:
EH Harms transports the cars from the ED drop-off location to the port where they join the "factory-direct" cars for ocean shipment.

I've found that ED cars are not cleaned or wrapped before shipment stateside, so I always try to get a wash done prior to drop-off.
Thank you for answering my questions hinckey. As inquisitive as I am....I have a few more questions...hehe.

In another thread it was said that ED cars aren't wrapped in plastic for transport or put into a huge cotton bag as regular cars. I can somewhat understand since BMW expects the new owner to pick up and drive off with the car. I came across this post and I was wondering if BMW sprays the ED cars with wax instead? Is there any protection during transport or are the cars transported completely naked during the ride to the States?

This is the post that explained about what happens to the cars once they arrive and also about the waxy coating thats applied to some of the cars.
http://www.e90post.com/vpc/index.asp.htm

Another thing, I always like to keep my window sticker that states the build and price when buying a new car. I am assuming that BMW will not put the window sticker on the window but will they have it so we can take it home?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 06:27 AM   #31
Atomicchicken
Private
Rep

Forgot another question. According to the article, they state that any damage during transport is repaired at the VPC and if its serious enough that they must report it to the dealer but even if its a minor repair is there anyway for us to find out?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 07:29 AM   #32
Atomicchicken
Private
Rep

Damn it, another question....just one more....

I've read that backup cameras are now mandatory on any new car made after May 1, 2018. I recently ordered a M3 and I only ordered it with the competition package, will my car have a backup camera as standard? It seems as if the backup camera is part of the executive package but what happens to cars made after May 1?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #33
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Damn it, another question....just one more....

I've read that backup cameras are now mandatory on any new car made after May 1, 2018. I recently ordered a M3 and I only ordered it with the competition package, will my car have a backup camera as standard? It seems as if the backup camera is part of the executive package but what happens to cars made after May 1?
Ask your dealer for your VIR (vehicle inquiry report). Yes they are standard now. Have been since MY18
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 10:13 AM   #34
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Forgot another question. According to the article, they state that any damage during transport is repaired at the VPC and if its serious enough that they must report it to the dealer but even if its a minor repair is there anyway for us to find out?
Not really. By law they only have to report certain things to you if the damage exceeds a certain threshold. Your dealer may be able to ask and find out, or the ED department. But chances are you will only find out if it is a huge repair or car is destroyed.

Don't stress if it a small repair especially considering that any small damage occurred while on ED will be repaired at VPC (usually). For example we had paint chips, a scuffed wheel, a cracked headlight, and a scraped bumper fixed and replace. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE CARRIER NOTATE ANY DAMAGE ON DROP OFF IN EUROPE. That's how BMW knows there are things to be fixed.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 10:15 AM   #35
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for answering my questions hinckey. As inquisitive as I am....I have a few more questions...hehe.

In another thread it was said that ED cars aren't wrapped in plastic for transport or put into a huge cotton bag as regular cars. I can somewhat understand since BMW expects the new owner to pick up and drive off with the car. I came across this post and I was wondering if BMW sprays the ED cars with wax instead? Is there any protection during transport or are the cars transported completely naked during the ride to the States?

This is the post that explained about what happens to the cars once they arrive and also about the waxy coating thats applied to some of the cars.
http://www.e90post.com/vpc/index.asp.htm

Another thing, I always like to keep my window sticker that states the build and price when buying a new car. I am assuming that BMW will not put the window sticker on the window but will they have it so we can take it home?
Window sticker should be with car as it is a federal law requirement. Just make sure you ask the dealer for your ED plates and your window sticker.

Yes the cars are transported completely naked, no wax. As mentioned above, car is taken care of at VPC if any damage, although likelihood of your car being damaged in transport is very very infinitesimal.

Just do what others do and take your car directly to your detailer for any paint correction and ceramic coating/wrap.

Everything will be fine you are over thinking it. BMW does a really really good job of taking care of it's ED customers.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #36
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Thescout's got it right.

Keep asking questions. That's what these forums are for, and being more educated is always better than less. But really, don't worry about things. BMW does this really well and as Thescout said, they take care of their ED customers.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      06-26-2018, 10:29 PM   #37
Atomicchicken
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Window sticker should be with car as it is a federal law requirement. Just make sure you ask the dealer for your ED plates and your window sticker.
Do you mean the window sticker will be given to me when I pick up my car at my local dealer in the States? I won't get it in Munich correct? Do they print it out in Germany or in the States?

Thank you all for answering all my questions!!!! Really appreciate it!!!
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      06-26-2018, 10:37 PM   #38
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Do you mean the window sticker will be given to me when I pick up my car at my local dealer in the States? I won't get it in Munich correct? Do they print it out in Germany or in the States?

Thank you all for answering all my questions!!!! Really appreciate it!!!
In the states, not Germany
Appreciate 0