Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

04-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #67
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingikra View Post
Hello again,

Just landed last night. Still working on processing the videos.
As I said, haven't used most of your recommendations due to lack of time. The most annoying unused recommendation was the Bernhard´s Stammhaus - Restaurant which apparently wasn't open on Monday although it was stated on their site. I have realized it in the day I flew to Munich but it was not possible to change the trips' days because of the weather (On Tuesday the weather forecast was rain in Kufstein and no rain in Kesselberg.
Another thing I have discovered a week before flying is the fact that the 458 got broken so I couldn't get. The below is teaser video for what I have rented instead:

LAMBORGHINI!!!!

Too bad about Bernhard´s. Have fun on your time over here. At least the A9 Autobahn wasn't a bad recommendation!

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 04:04 AM   #68
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Indeed Lamborghini!

What a machine! Unbelievable.
I actually haven't had time to drive on the A9. This video has been taken on the A96. After these two days and many wrong turns I have made 530 km. Meaning 30 km more than the 500 I got with the car. I have decided to give up the A9.

What I did take from your suggestions are the road trips, Marianplatz, Haxnbauer im Scholastikahaus and tipping rules
All the rest I'll need to leave for the next times.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      04-14-2017, 12:11 PM   #69
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Indeed Lamborghini!

What a machine! Unbelievable.
I actually haven't had time to drive on the A9. This video has been taken on the A96. After these two days and many wrong turns I have made 530 km. Meaning 30 km more than the 500 I got with the car. I have decided to give up the A9.

What I did take from your suggestions are the road trips, Marianplatz, Haxnbauer im Scholastikahaus and tipping rules
All the rest I'll need to leave for the next times.
Very cool. Once you are back home, I would love to hear what all you did and what you think of my advice on where to go & all. It sounds like you had a very good time in that Lambo. LAMBORGHINI!!!(said in Salomondrin's voice!).

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 07:33 AM   #70
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've actually landed on Thursday 4 am. Just needed some time to organize and work on my videos. Another issue is to get used to the ATS-V again . It is very slow now.

So I've landed on Sunday night in Munich. Went to sleep and woke up on the next morning to get my rental:

What am I actually saying in this video is that I have landed in Munich last night, staying at the Holiday inn express and this is my car for the next two days . Then I just describe what this car is but I'm sure I do not need to translate it to you

As I mentioned before, drove on the first day to Kufstein. There were actually some very narrow roads at the beginning. That 3 Euros road is impossible to hammer a Lambo there. The A8 wasn't a good Autobahn for high speeds. There was traffic and lots of speed limits.

That Motorcyclist in front of me wanted to humiliate me and he indeed succeeded but its not fare when you know well the machine you are driving in and know the road

As I got closer to Kufstein, the roads got better and better.

On my way back I drove to Bernhard´s Stammhaus - Restaurant and as I mentioned before, it was closed.

Got back to Munich after ~3 hours of driving.

On my second day I drove to south Bavaria to get in the end to the famous Kesselberg road. Here is a video a bit before Kesselberg with a tunnel sound

And the famous Kesselberg road:

On the second day I got confidence in driving the Lambo and the A96 was a much better Autobahn than the A8 so I got to my highest speed over there (starting at 1:45):

I have returned the car on the second day at the afternoon.
BTW, my hotel had an underground parking lot which was great but no good places to eat around. On, both, my first and my second days, I needed to walk for at least 25 minutes to find a good place to eat according to Foursquare.

On my last day I took a taxi to the Marianplatz. Indeed a very nice area with lots of people (mostly tourists and Real fans). There were some very nice building and statues. As you recommended, lots of places to buy cloths but not as cheap as I imagined. Cheaper than here but this is not a surprise
I really enjoyed the Galeria Kaufhof shop which is 5 stories high and has everything inside. Actually bought most of my stuff there.

Sadly I've decided to give up the leberkase because if I snack that, I won't be able to eat a proper meal later on so when I got hungry, I went to the Haxnbauer im Scholastikahaus which was very tasty. I've ordered the "½ PORK KNUCKLE" which was juicy and good!! BTW, meals are huge in Germany. I couldn't finish the main dish in all the restaurants I have been in.

I really liked the Marianplatz area and wished I could be there some more but my flight was at 22:00 o'clock and there was lots of traffic from the city to the allianz arena. Next time I'll stay at least another day after I return the car.
Not sure if I'll be in Germany again on September (Car show in Frankfurt) or October (in either Munich or Frankfurt).

Again, thanks a lot for all the tips!!!
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      04-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #71
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if I'll be in Germany again on September (Car show in Frankfurt) or October (in either Munich or Frankfurt).

Again, thanks a lot for all the tips!!!

Nice videos. I am sure now, that you have gotten a taste of Germany... you will be back! In this September is also the Frankfurt Auto Show... just FYI.

That Lambo looks sick!! And to have driven it on the Kesselbergstrasse(Kochelsee) must have been awesome!! I'm glad you enjoyed Southern Germany as much as I do.

I keep meaning to drive the A9 to Munich and make a video of the sections of Autobahn that I find simply perfect for very high speed driving. I just returned from a trip to Lake Como and the Swiss Alps - also very nice roads driving down that area.

take care,
Dackel
Appreciate 1
kingikra120.00
      04-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #72
xfactor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M4 6MT ZCP (AY)

Thanks Dackelone! I'll be coming to Munich to pickup my baby in late June and the information in this and the other sticky threads are awesome. Looking forward to some German roads, beers and sausages.
-x
      05-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #73
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

This video might be appropriate, for anyone who plans a trip to Germany. It's quite accurate of how the Autobahns are in real life. Well.. we do have some empty and nice stretches... but this is kind of how it is quite often.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 03:46 AM   #74
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This is so true. I would have reached my 300 KPH goal if it wasn't like that :-)
Hopefully this September on the A5 I'll have at least one stretch without traffic and constructions.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      05-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #75
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Dackelone,

Do you know of any good twisty roads near Frankfurt except the B500?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #76
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Arrow some curvy roads for ya...

Quote:
Dackelone,

Do you know of any good twisty roads near Frankfurt except the B500?
I asked a few friends who live sort of in that area of Frankfurt. Here is where they said to go drive...

Quote:
Kiedrich
Quote:
There are some pretty cool roads going up the Rheingau. On the west side of the Rheine, from Bingen up to Koblenz.
Quote:
from Martinsthal to Schlangenbad to Montabaur (satnav should avoid Autobahn then you are good to go!). Then Gelbachtal and down to Koblenz. Nurburgring is close to Koblenz so can Go there or drive back on the rhine road to St Goarshausen and then Wiesbaden.

Of course my Munich friend's chimed in and said...
Quote:
You should come to Southern Bavaria and drive the world famous:
Rossfeldpanoramastrasse

Personally, I was thinking of a trip/tour to Pfalzgrafenstein Castle
(also called: Burg Pfalzgrafenstein) might also be interesting. ? Maybe taking this route from Frankfurt.
https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Frank...1435!3e0?hl=en

I have been to Cochem and the very cool castle there... Reichsburg Cochem. I enjoyed driving the road on either side of the Mosel river there. I pretty much stuck to the Cochem side of the river there. From Cochem down to Trier is a nice drive. But the road is not really twisty but pretty with all the vineyards and castles. A lot of people come to Germany to see the Rhine river... I really much prefer driving around the Mosel. Burg Eltz and Burg Thurant are also very cool old castles you can tour.

Also in Cochem, you can park at the only parkhaus there... and take a chair lift - up the mountain side. When you get near the top... they take your picture and you can later buy a copy. There is a small coffee & cake place up there. Its quite nice. When I say chair lift... it is JUST THAT... a bench chair and nothing else!! It's quite cool. Just look for: "Cochemer Sesselbahn".

But I must confess, I have not driven much in that area of Germany. For me my true love is Southern Germany/Austria/Italy/Tirol - as you know!

I also found this motorcycle touring page with maps and areas of cool roads for motorcycles to drive. You can go into any German book store(or Amazon.de) and search for: Motorradtouren or Motorradstrecken.

Sorry this site is in German... but Google Translator works well.
http://www.hessen-netz.com/168/Motor...dstrecken.html

Here are the translated recommendations of that site... I only translated the first four. But the last one might be just what the Doctor ordered!

Motorcycle tour Rhein-Mosel

Rhein-Mosel river tour (Day trip) from Frankfurt the Rhine up to Koblenz and then along the Mosel river to Traben-Trarbach and back through Hunsrück and Rüdesheim.

Motorcycle tours Odenwald

Biking in the Odenwald is worthwhile, south of Frankfurt there are beautiful motorbike routes down to the Neckar, such as the motorcycle tour Odenwald / Höchst - Necker - Miltenberg. The Odenwald tour for motorcyclists from Höchst in the Odenwald(Oden forest) through Brombachtal and Mossautal to Wald-Michelbach and further to Hirschhorn on the Neckar(river) is one of the most beautiful biker tours in the Odenwald. On the return journey you can travel best via Zwingenberg, Neckargerach and then north to the Bavarian Miltenberg. Last stage of the tour past Aschaffenburg again to Frankfurt.

Krähberg: The L3108(road) between Beerfelden-Hetzbach and Hesseneck-Kailbach over the Krähberg is closed from 15 March to 31 October on weekends and holidays for motorcycles. (so open during weekdays)

Zotzenbach: The L3409 between Zotzenbach and the Kreidacher Höhe is closed on Saturdays from 2 pm on Sundays and on Sundays and holidays completely for motorcycles.

Motorcycle tour Sensbachtal (Odenwald)

Sensbachtal-Tour with motorbike in the Odenwald: The route from the B45 east via Sensbach into the Sensbachtal between Beerfelden and Hetzbach is a real curve experience(!!), but nowadays with an official speed limit of 60 km / h! Please note for motorbike tours to the Sensbachtal: On weekends and holidays the L3120 between Beerfelden and Sensbachtal is closed to motorcycles.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction. Maybe also ask locals where you are staying for suggestions too. I can't wait to see your pics of this visit.

One last place of interest for your Frankfurt trip... in small village of Geierlay, is Germany's longest suspension bridge! IF you are not the faint of heart... you might want to check it out! From what I understand you have to park your car and hike/walk a bit to get to the bridge. Geierlay Hängeseilbrücke
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Bes....3473483?hl=en

take care,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 08:45 AM   #77
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I expected a no, I don't know or no, there are no driving roads except the B500 but, WOW, was I wrong!!!

As usual you are so detailed and organized.

I have checked your friends' recommendations and think that the following might be a good trip:
https://goo.gl/2ZgqQB

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the above actually takes me on the best driving roads between these cities.

I'll have the car for two days so in one of them I'll take it to the above and on the next one, again, to the great B500 although last time there was a bit traffic and it is very hard to bypass cars there.
I still have no idea which car will I have but it won't be a slow one for sure

I have also looked at Kiedrich but it seems like a very small area although the road seems good for driving.

Southern Bavaria roads will have to wait till April 2018 .

As usual, you are suggesting MUCH more then my time allows (rich people's problems) so I thank you very much for that but I'll have to stick with the above drive and the B500.

You can't wait to see my pics from the visit?!?!?! What will I say?
For many years, now, that I really want to visit the Frankfurt's auto show.
BTW, I read that, this year, at least 9 car makers will not show up. Seems like that the ease and low prices of advertising today with the internet will, probably, harm the auto shows around the world.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      05-31-2017, 04:57 PM   #78
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I expected a no, I don't know or no, there are no driving roads except the B500 but, WOW, was I wrong!!!

Thanks for the kind words. I am just trying to help a fellow car nut find his way around Germany.

Quote:
I have checked your friends' recommendations and think that the following might be a good trip:

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the above actually takes me on the best driving roads between these cities.
WoW! That really looks like a great road to drive. Lots of twisty sections and a good mix of roads.

Quote:
I'll have the car for two days so in one of them I'll take it to the above and on the next one, again, to the great B500 although last time there was a bit traffic and it is very hard to bypass cars there.
I'm sure you will find yourself in something fun to drive!

Btw... a friend of mine might contact you via PM to meet up. He can show you around some nice roads or drive with you for the day. He drive's a M2.

The B500 Hochstraße, from Baden-Baden driving down to Baiersbronn is a cool road.
https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Baden...6564!1m0?hl=en

But once you've driven it, it doesn't keep pulling me back like Stelvio or Sella Ronda(in Italy).

IF you do decide to drive down to Baden-Baden(B500) I would recommend you take a detour to the Fahrzeugmuseum Marxzell. This is one crazy mans obsession in collecting cool old cars and "stuff". The museum has now expand upstairs too!

Here is my writeup on the Marzell Museum.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=790929

The Unimog Museum is also near by the Black Forest area...

Unimog Museum - the AWD German wonder machine...
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=819968

But my "tip" is to go visit theMarzell Museum. The roads in that area were quite nice too from what I recall.

Also IF you drive around Koblenz... there is a cool Military Museum that has real weapons that were used by the Germans for the past couple hundred years. Its kind of like the US Army's Aberdeen Ordnance & Weapons Museum in Aberdeen, Md.

WTS Military Museum - Koblenz, Germany
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498499

North of Koblenz is the famous Remagen Bridge that was all so important in WWII for the Allies to cross. Today its a small museum. Look on Google Maps for: "Ludendorff Bridge Brücke von Remagen".

Also in the Schwarzwald area is the Hasenhorn-Rodelbahn... in the Black Forrest(Schwarzwald) area. Its a luge ride down a mountain.

Hasenhorn Rodelbahn
Brandenbergstraße 3
79674 Todtnau

http://www.hasenhorn-rodelbahn.de/in...a8c24514821a1f

28 turns of fun!

Quote:
I have also looked at Kiedrich but it seems like a very small area although the road seems good for driving.
Yep. Well.. I can't really comment since I have never been there.

Quote:
NOW we are talking!!

Quote:
As usual, you are suggesting MUCH more then my time allows (rich people's problems) so I thank you very much for that but I'll have to stick with the above drive and the
Hahahaa.

Quote:
BTW, I read that, this year, at least 9 car makers will not show up. Seems like that the ease and low prices of advertising today with the internet will, probably, harm the auto shows around the world.
[/QUOTE]

Yea... it's probably some of the Asian and Chinese markques that won't make it. Mitsubishi seems to be on its knees. There are other auto companies that just can't spend the money to come to Frankfurt IAA or Geneva.

The Frankfurt show is awesome but can be way over whelming. I can honestly say you need two or three days to see EVERYTHING there. Sure you can see all the major car companies... but there is just so much there to see.

My tip for anyone who wants to come to the Frankfurt show is... COME on the Friday(Trade Days) where you pay TWICE the normal going rate(once the show opens to the public its around 25 euros). The crowds will be light(like during the two press days(Weds & Thursday). I think it costs something like 50 euros to get in on that Friday - But it is well WORTH IT!! On Saturday the show opens to the general public for TEN days - and its a zoo!! The public days for the IAA this year are: September 14th to 24th, 2017. Of course the best way to see the IAA is coming on either press day. But coming on that

Friday is also very nice way to see the show. To give you an idea... on any of the normal public days there will be at least 100K people visiting the show. Just think about that! The show is about one mile by a half a mile in area. You can test drive cars and go off road driving too. Its really cool.

The Frankfurt Auto Show(IAA) website dates and prices...
http://www.iaa.de/en/tickets/dates/

This is what a "normal" public day looks like at the Frankfurt IAA...
Name:  IAA_2011_Impressionen_Aussenansicht_.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  130.3 KB

Audi stand...
Name:  IAA Frankfurt 2015 PKW 889_2.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  306.9 KB

BMW's stand/building with an indoor test track inside!!
Name:  iaa bmw-2015-auf-der-iaa.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  297.1 KB

Also... the Frankfurt Auto Show(IAA) is only held on EVEN years. On odd years... there is the Paris Auto Show... which I have always wanted to visit - but I have not.

That all said... my favorite show is Geneva. It's big, but it's not the monster show that Frankfurt is. If you can make it to one of the Geneva shows - I would highly recommend it.

Since you will be in Frankfurt... you really should drop by Klassikstadt. It's a classic car storage place but there are also a few auto related shops inside along with the McLaren, Ferrari and Lambo(?) dealerships. Its free to visit and its a cool place to look around for a few hours.

Dackel’s tour of Klassikstadt: Frankfurt, Germany…
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=636805

take care,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 04:37 AM   #79
eau_rouge
Germany
Rep
Drives: Alpina B3 G21 Touring

Garage List
Quote:

As usual, you are suggesting MUCH more then my time allows (rich people's problems) so I thank you very much for that but I'll have to stick with the above drive and the B500.

Hi there!

I am the one Dackelone mentioned in his last post. I grew up and still live in that area. With my passion for cars starting at a very young age, I was always searching for the best roads around town.

So with that being said, let me get into more detail about the trip:

Depending on how much time you have, I have a very good recommendation for a day-trip.

You are starting out in Johannisberg, Rheingau area. You can have a look at the famous Schloss Johannisberg, which is famous for it's wine and long tradition. From there, you will drive through a forest all the way to Lorch, which has the first (but short) great driving road. From Lorch, you will drive the famous Wisperstrasse to Geroldstein, Heidenrod and all the way up to Katzenelnbogen. After that you drive to Obernhof and then the Gelbachtal begins all the way to Montabaur (make sure to have Weinähr and Bladernheim in the nav, otherwise it could lead you around on a more "convenient" road). Then drive all the way down to Nassau and then to St Goarshausen. You can then choose to drive the famous route on the rhine all the way back to Wiesbaden, or you can drive through Nastätten and then Bad Schwalbach - thats up to you.

Let me know your preferences - more driving roads or more sightseeing in nice small places? If the second applies, we have to change it a bit.

Please make sure that you always stick to the speed limit in the small villages (30 or 50), as they have some radar controls here and there. Other than that, the roads should be pretty free and you should only witness a few other enthusiasts, motorbikes or sometimes a tractor

Here is the route, make sure to have "avoid Autobahn" active all the time:

I have to split the route after St Goarshausen because of the max. destination restriction from Google. You can see the two different options going back to Wiesbaden (which is worth a visit).

I can highly recommend visit Klassikstadt in Frankfurt as well. There is a McLaren and Lamborghini dealership inside and there are plenty of classic and really exotic cars (Ferrari FXX (he might have upgraded to the fast LaFerrari version), 3.0 CSL Batmobile, 599 GTO, M3 CSL, BMW 507, Lamborghini Countach etc.). They have a restaurant which offers some good snacks.

If you want some company, hit me up. I might join in with my M2
2005 E46 M3 S54 - TS/GN5TT - 6MT
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      06-01-2017, 08:25 AM   #80
ZCPM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Parking in Zurich

Does anyone have parking recommendations for Zurich? Planning to stay in the Old Town during ED, and looks like parking is limited. Our hotel recommended the Urania parking garage for 40CHF a day, so wondered if that's a good place to leave the car overnight (appears to be underground?) or if there are any other recos.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #81
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Zurich Parkhaus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCPM4 View Post
Does anyone have parking recommendations for Zurich? Planning to stay in the Old Town during ED, and looks like parking is limited. Our hotel recommended the Urania parking garage for 40CHF a day, so wondered if that's a good place to leave the car overnight (appears to be underground?) or if there are any other recos.
I'm kind of surprised your hotel doesn't offer secure underground parking. ? Or maybe ask at another hotel to use their underground parking?

On Google Maps - Parkhaus Urania is rated very well... "four out of five stars...

Quote:
Best park house in Zurich. Very clean and well organized
Quote:
I like this park house because it is close to down town Zürich. I also like that each park place has a sensor that informs a driver whether the parking spot is vacant or occupied. A customer can pay with cash or credit card. The restrooms are clean.
written originally in German...
Quote:
Good parking in the center of Zurich. Is bit expensive but you are paid for the location. On the weekend quite crowded.
There are also a few other "Parkhaus" near by... but not directly in the old part of the city...

Parking Zürich AG - Widdergasse 1, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
City Parkhaus - Gessnerallee 11, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Parkgarage am Central - Seilergraben, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
[P] Garage AMAG Services AG - Beethovenstrasse 35, 8002 Zürich, Switzerland
Bellevue Garage Zürich GmbH -Stadelhoferstrasse 42, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland

Here are some other parkhaus garages in Zurich.
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Par....5376671?hl=en

40CHF or about 40 euros to park for the day seems about right for any major city in Switzerland. I swear EVERYTHING costs way too much in CH! 5 euros for a 500ml bottle of Coke. 22CHF for a doner kabob. Man don't get me started. But I think everyone should experience Switzerland. Its just I recommend to stay over night in another country IF you can help it.

When I parked in Geneva... it cost around 48 CFH per day. That parkhaus was close to the main train station(Hauptbahnhof) and it was quite a less desirable area... hookers and pimps everywhere. Anyways... the parkhaus there had this gate and wire fence that would come down after you drove into the garage... I only parked there a few hours... then moved my car to the airport and took an S-bahn back to my downtown hotel for the Geneva auto show.

It does look like Zurich is a much nicer city... at least the Altstadt(old town) part. I would recommend to park away from the bahnhof(train station) though.

good luck,
Dackel

PS: don't forget to buy a Swiss Vignette for the Swiss Autobahns. It costs 38 euros for a one year sticker(that's the only way they sell it!). Place it on the top of your car's windshield. Buy the sticker BEFORE you enter CH at any German or Austrian gas station or Autobahn rastplatz.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 01:54 PM   #82
ZCPM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I'm kind of surprised your hotel doesn't offer secure underground parking. ? Or maybe ask at another hotel to use their underground parking?

On Google Maps - Parkhaus Urania is rated very well... "four out of five stars...

written originally in German...

There are also a few other "Parkhaus" near by... but not directly in the old part of the city...

Parking Zürich AG - Widdergasse 1, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
City Parkhaus - Gessnerallee 11, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Parkgarage am Central - Seilergraben, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
[P] Garage AMAG Services AG - Beethovenstrasse 35, 8002 Zürich, Switzerland
Bellevue Garage Zürich GmbH -Stadelhoferstrasse 42, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland

Here are some other parkhaus garages in Zurich.
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Par....5376671?hl=en

40CHF or about 40 euros to park for the day seems about right for any major city in Switzerland. I swear EVERYTHING costs way too much in CH! 5 euros for a 500ml bottle of Coke. 22CHF for a doner kabob. Man don't get me started. But I think everyone should experience Switzerland. Its just I recommend to stay over night in another country IF you can help it.

When I parked in Geneva... it cost around 48 CFH per day. That parkhaus was close to the main train station(Hauptbahnhof) and it was quite a less desirable area... hookers and pimps everywhere. Anyways... the parkhaus there had this gate and wire fence that would come down after you drove into the garage... I only parked there a few hours... then moved my car to the airport and took an S-bahn back to my downtown hotel for the Geneva auto show.

It does look like Zurich is a much nicer city... at least the Altstadt(old town) part. I would recommend to park away from the bahnhof(train station) though.

good luck,
Dackel

PS: don't forget to buy a Swiss Vignette for the Swiss Autobahns. It costs 38 euros for a one year sticker(that's the only way they sell it!). Place it on the top of your car's windshield. Buy the sticker BEFORE you enter CH at any German or Austrian gas station or Autobahn rastplatz.
Thanks so much! The lack of parking appears to be a result of the area we're staying in Old Town, but everything else is booked or crazy expensive, so hoping the car will be ok parked a few blocks away in a garage. Definitely know what you mean by high prices in CH, just based on shopping for hotels, haha.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      06-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #83
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCPM4 View Post
Thanks so much! The lack of parking appears to be a result of the area we're staying in Old Town, but everything else is booked or crazy expensive, so hoping the car will be ok parked a few blocks away in a garage. Definitely know what you mean by high prices in CH, just based on shopping for hotels, haha.
The German border isn't too far from Zurich(about an hour's drive) IF you wanted to sleep in Germany and just visit Zurich for the day.

Schaffhausen is a nice small Swiss town. Have a look...
https://www.pinterest.de/maloaachber...rland/?lp=true

Or maybe Singen(DE) or Lörrach(DE). ?

Just a thought.

Dackel
Appreciate 1
ZCPM4132.50
      06-02-2017, 05:00 AM   #84
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Btw... a friend of mine might contact you via PM to meet up. He can show you around some nice roads or drive with you for the day. He drive's a M2.
That would be great!

Quote:
The B500 Hochstraße, from Baden-Baden driving down to Baiersbronn is a cool road.
https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Baden...6564!1m0?hl=en

But once you've driven it, it doesn't keep pulling me back like Stelvio or Sella Ronda(in Italy).

IF you do decide to drive down to Baden-Baden(B500) I would recommend you take a detour to the Fahrzeugmuseum Marxzell. This is one crazy mans obsession in collecting cool old cars and "stuff". The museum has now expand upstairs too!

Here is my writeup on the Marzell Museum.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=790929
I understand but Italy or Swiss are not an option for me.
For some reason, as a car enthusiast, old cars doesn't do it to me. No idea why .

Quote:
The Unimog Museum is also near by the Black Forest area...

Unimog Museum - the AWD German wonder machine...
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=819968

But my "tip" is to go visit theMarzell Museum. The roads in that area were quite nice too from what I recall.

Also IF you drive around Koblenz... there is a cool Military Museum that has real weapons that were used by the Germans for the past couple hundred years. Its kind of like the US Army's Aberdeen Ordnance & Weapons Museum in Aberdeen, Md.

WTS Military Museum - Koblenz, Germany
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498499

North of Koblenz is the famous Remagen Bridge that was all so important in WWII for the Allies to cross. Today its a small museum. Look on Google Maps for: "Ludendorff Bridge Brücke von Remagen".

Also in the Schwarzwald area is the Hasenhorn-Rodelbahn... in the Black Forrest(Schwarzwald) area. Its a luge ride down a mountain.

Hasenhorn Rodelbahn
Brandenbergstraße 3
79674 Todtnau

http://www.hasenhorn-rodelbahn.de/in...a8c24514821a1f

28 turns of fun!
I might visit the Military Museum.

As for the Hasenhorn-Rodelbahn, my stomach is not built for these kinds of roller coasters anymore

Quote:
Yea... it's probably some of the Asian and Chinese markques that won't make it. Mitsubishi seems to be on its knees. There are other auto companies that just can't spend the money to come to Frankfurt IAA or Geneva.

The Frankfurt show is awesome but can be way over whelming. I can honestly say you need two or three days to see EVERYTHING there. Sure you can see all the major car companies... but there is just so much there to see.

My tip for anyone who wants to come to the Frankfurt show is... COME on the Friday where you pay TWICE the normal going rate(once the show opens to the public its around 25 euros). The crowds will be light(like during the two press days(Weds & Thursday). I think it costs something like 50 euros to get in on that Friday - But it is well WORTH IT!! On Saturday the show opens to the general public for TEN days - and its a zoo!! The public days for the IAA this year are: September 14th to 24th, 2017. Of course the best way to see the IAA is coming on either press day. But coming on that

Friday is also very nice way to see the show. To give you an idea... on any of the normal public days there will be at least 100K people visiting the show. Just think about that! The show is about one mile by a half a mile in area. You can test drive cars and go off road driving too. Its really cool.

This is what a "normal" public day looks like at the Frankfurt IAA...
Attachment 1632157

Audi stand...
Attachment 1632158

BMW's stand/building with an indoor test track inside!!
Attachment 1632159

Also... the Frankfurt Auto Show(IAA) is only held on EVEN years. On odd years... there is the Paris Auto Show... which I have always wanted to visit - but I have not.

That all said... my favorite show is Geneva. It's big, but it's not the monster show that Frankfurt is. If you can make it to one of the Geneva shows - I would highly recommend it.
Too late . Already bought a flight ticket. It's, also, depends on the Holidays here. I'll be there between 19 and 24. From what I heard, the most "problematic days" are weekends (not that "expensive" Friday you are talking about but the next weekend). During working days it should be a bit less crowded. What I planned is to land on Tuesday evening, go to the show on Wednesday and Thursday and ride the rented car on Friday and Saturday.

Quote:
Since you will be in Frankfurt... you really should drop by Klassikstadt. It's a classic car storage place but there are also a few auto related shops inside along with the McLaren, Ferrari and Lambo(?) dealerships. Its free to visit and its a cool place to look around for a few hours.

Dackel’s tour of Klassikstadt: Frankfurt, Germany…
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=636805
This looks very interesting. I don't mind watching old ccars as long as there are new cars as well

Thanks again!
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      06-02-2017, 07:00 AM   #85
eau_rouge
Germany
Rep
Drives: Alpina B3 G21 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
That would be great!
Hi again,

I did it in a "normal" post above this string here. Hope you saw it?
2005 E46 M3 S54 - TS/GN5TT - 6MT
Appreciate 2
kingikra120.00
Dackelone10511.00
      06-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #86
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eau_rouge View Post
Hi there!

I am the one Dackelone mentioned in his last post. I grew up and still live in that area. With my passion for cars starting at a very young age, I was always searching for the best roads around town.

So with that being said, let me get into more detail about the trip:

Depending on how much time you have, I have a very good recommendation for a day-trip.

You are starting out in Johannisberg, Rheingau area. You can have a look at the famous Schloss Johannisberg, which is famous for it's wine and long tradition. From there, you will drive through a forest all the way to Lorch, which has the first (but short) great driving road. From Lorch, you will drive the famous Wisperstrasse to Geroldstein, Heidenrod and all the way up to Katzenelnbogen. After that you drive to Obernhof and then the Gelbachtal begins all the way to Montabaur (make sure to have Weinähr and Bladernheim in the nav, otherwise it could lead you around on a more "convenient" road). Then drive all the way down to Nassau and then to St Goarshausen. You can then choose to drive the famous route on the rhine all the way back to Wiesbaden, or you can drive through Nastätten and then Bad Schwalbach - thats up to you.
This looks like a great day trip. Exactly what I'm looking for. Time is not my problem. KMs might be. It is quite expensive to rent these cars and any additional km costs a few euros (depending on the car).

Quote:
Let me know your preferences - more driving roads or more sightseeing in nice small places? If the second applies, we have to change it a bit.
Driving only!! Sight seeings are being saved for other type of trips. This one would be of cars only.

Quote:
Please make sure that you always stick to the speed limit in the small villages (30 or 50), as they have some radar controls here and there. Other than that, the roads should be pretty free and you should only witness a few other enthusiasts, motorbikes or sometimes a tractor
I'm driving in a country which I do not know the rules good enough with a car I have no experience with. Believe me, inside towns/villages I'm driving like a 90 years old grandfather.

Quote:
Here is the route, make sure to have "avoid Autobahn" active all the time:

I have to split the route after St Goarshausen because of the max. destination restriction from Google. You can see the two different options going back to Wiesbaden (which is worth a visit).
Thanks a lot for saving me the time to create the links myself.
As much a s I know, the limitation is not about the destination but about how many stops you're adding to your drive.

Quote:
I can highly recommend visit Klassikstadt in Frankfurt as well. There is a McLaren and Lamborghini dealership inside and there are plenty of classic and really exotic cars (Ferrari FXX (he might have upgraded to the fast LaFerrari version), 3.0 CSL Batmobile, 599 GTO, M3 CSL, BMW 507, Lamborghini Countach etc.). They have a restaurant which offers some good snacks.
As I have replied to Dackelone, this might be a good idea to visit there.

Quote:
If you want some company, hit me up. I might join in with my M2
I'm actually a loner. Usually prefer to drive on my own.
I have a few problems while driving in Germany. First, I don't know the rented car well enough (which you can't help me with). Second, I don't know the roads and rules well enough (which you can help me a lot with while leading). In that case, it might be a good idea to join forces with a local guy
It is 3 months ahead but I might send you a pm when I'll get there (at least two days before).

Thanks a lot for offering!! This is very kind of you.
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10511.00
eau_rouge515.50
      06-02-2017, 11:17 AM   #87
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi again,

I did it in a "normal" post above this string here. Hope you saw it?
Sure I did. It just took me a bit to replay
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10511.00
eau_rouge515.50
      06-03-2017, 07:54 AM   #88
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just wanted to clear something up. I was just kidding about "can't help me with... can help me with...". It was just a way to say that, if you are interested, of course, it is a good idea to ride together.
I read what I wrote again and, even to me, it sounded selfish and ugly so sorry for that!

Last edited by kingikra; 06-03-2017 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00