ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

07-16-2014, 11:26 PM   #1
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Mobius ActionCam

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
As I'm preparing for my Euro Delivery I've been looking at video options ... I've considered:

* Sony's AS100V due to its image stabilization, low light perf, et al
* GoPro Hero 4, but it's not out until Oct
* GoPro 3 Silver

Then I ran across the Mobius - $80!

But it must suck then right? Well it looks pretty damn good (see the video). It does have one gotcha - the catch is, it doesn't come with anything including even a manual, but all that stuff is available online. So if you're willing to do a little research it seems like a stellar option for the price ...

So good it might be worth buying 3 - you can set them to auto-start/stop via power so I'm thinking I can just plug / unplug them. Plus if I lose one, not a big deal. Anyway I bought one and am going to video a canyon run and see how it goes. Review here:

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Mobius_ActionCam_Camera_Instruction_Manual.pdf (100.4 KB, 234 views)

Last edited by GrussGott; 07-22-2014 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
kinimod
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 GT3

That's really interesting. Thanks for sharing. It actually seems to have features that GoPro doesn't.

But it looks like it can't stabilize the image as well as GoPro. It's more shaky, isn't it? I wonder if it produces a less thrilling image then particularly for fast car driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 01:18 AM   #3
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinimod View Post
That's really interesting. Thanks for sharing. It actually seems to have features that GoPro doesn't.

But it looks like it can't stabilize the image as well as GoPro. It's more shaky, isn't it? I wonder if it produces a less thrilling image then particularly for fast car driving.
Neither have image stabilization so should be equal there... There are a few mobius race videos out there and they're no different from the gopro, I'll post them tomorrow. Thing is for $240 you can buy three of them, sync the recording by just starting the car, and build a pretty cool video. 1080p30 is all I'll ever need from a cam so why pay for all the extras? Plus the thing is light as hell so i'd think easier to stabilize.

If the 4 gets good reviews I may get that later but I'm betting these will work just fine for way less.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

I'd say go pro hero 3 black edition. I know the mobius is cheaper, but you get so much flex with the go pro, and even if the 4 comes out the 3 is still a capable companion and can work with most of the mounts, casings etc...i find there's nothing wrong with owning more than 1 go pro.
      07-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
I'd say go pro hero 3 black edition. I know the mobius is cheaper, but you get so much flex with the go pro, and even if the 4 comes out the 3 is still a capable companion and can work with most of the mounts, casings etc...i find there's nothing wrong with owning more than 1 go pro.
Ok but what is the argument for spending $400 vs $80?
  • I will only be shooting 1080p30 for driving video
  • Picture quality seems equal and I actually like the white balance of the Mobius better
  • For car use the Mobius seems WAY better since it's smaller and lighter, has mounts for, say, the visor and weighs less so should be less susceptible to vibration and jitter

The only possible reasons I could see is if I wanted 4k or 60ffs (which I don't since I have a canon 6d)

Because the mobius is so small and light you can make any mount you want ... check out this vibration-eliminator made with 2 plastic plates and 4 foam ear plugs:
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Ok but what is the argument for spending $400 vs $80?
  • I will only be shooting 1080p30 for driving video
  • Picture quality seems equal and I actually like the white balance of the Mobius better
  • For car use the Mobius seems WAY better since it's smaller and lighter, has mounts for, say, the visor and weighs less so should be less susceptible to vibration and jitter

The only possible reasons I could see is if I wanted 4k or 60ffs (which I don't since I have a canon 6d)

Because the mobius is so small and light you can make any mount you want ... check out this vibration-eliminator made with 2 plastic plates and 4 foam ear plugs:
its' def cool- not arguing at all (probably pick one up for fun)

as far as price diff, I'd say the go pro offers just more mount support, without the need to make em, it's waterproof, can offer time lapse bursts photo (3 frames ps) which you can do some sweet stuff with, and I'd obviously argue the sensor is clearly better in the lens.

Some other thoughts are just day to day simplicity, if you're at the track in the morning and head to the beach the same day for surfing, you're not gonna want to make a mount. Or if you go mountain biking, or want to strap it on your helmet on your motorcycle. the go pro just has all that stuff already ready an proven.

also go pro can be hooked up to a real lcd monitor, you can control it wirelessly thru wifi and use it as a live camera in TV environments if needed etc.

In short, its just a bit more pro than say the mobius which is a bit more everyday imho.

60fps is really cool and filmic on a go pro pending proper lighting and it is def stable. it's the most affordable camera that has "oozed" into real production world because of this so I think 399 is a small price to pay for it.

Also it can shoot upside down, (be 'upside down on a mount but shoot right side up) etc multiple frame modes (4k, 720, etc) which sound like frivolous features but nonetheless it's cool. Also the m3 i drive go pro thing is sweet... sure you can work around it on another cam, but the ease and simplicity of it is what makes it perfect.

To me comparing these too is no different than saying why use a film camera when an DSLR can shoot 1080p, or when my iPhone can shoot 1080p. Not saying you are doing that, just offering my point of opinion.

I end by saying i don't think it'd hurt to have a mixture of both.
      07-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
savaho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Get the Mobius if you're not a videophile. It's a great camera that cannot be beat on price for the quality. I used to spend tons of money on gopros and accessories and they all ended up sitting on my shelf and I never really, IMO, achieved the quality that I expected for the price I paid. Think of the mobius as a disposable camera that you wouldn't lose sleep over if you lost it. I used to use my mobius for my bike. As with everything, the novelty of it wore off.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #8
GBPackerfan1963
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5 2007 E60 550i

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by savaho View Post
Get the Mobius if you're not a videophile. It's a great camera that cannot be beat on price for the quality. I used to spend tons of money on gopros and accessories and they all ended up sitting on my shelf and I never really, IMO, achieved the quality that I expected for the price I paid. Think of the mobius as a disposable camera that you wouldn't lose sleep over if you lost it. I used to use my mobius for my bike. As with everything, the novelty of it wore off.

I know exactly where you are.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
As I'm preparing for my Euro Delivery I've been looking at video options ... I've considered:

* Sony's AS100V due to its image stabilization, low light perf, et al
* GoPro Hero 4, but it's not out until Oct
* GoPro 3 Silver

Then I ran across the Mobius - $80!

But it must suck then right? Well it looks pretty damn good (see the video). It does have one gotcha - the catch is, it doesn't come with anything including even a manual, but all that stuff is available online. So if you're willing to do a little research it seems like a stellar option for the price ...

So good it might be worth buying 3 - you can set them to auto-start/stop via power so I'm thinking I can just plug / unplug them. Plus if I lose one, not a big deal. Anyway I bought one and am going to video a canyon run and see how it goes. Review here:

Very cool - think I am sold! Good catch.
      07-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Links!

You can buy all the starter kits here or Amazon of course

Accessories, mounts, waterproof case etc here and here

Windows Software here (for Macs you can just mess with the simple config file or dual boot

Car cam forum for Mobius here

Android apps here

Instructions here

For delivery I'm thinking I"m just going to tape the thing to one of the bows on my glasses with gaffer's tape. It will look a tad dorky but I'll overcome that by throwin down some donuts in the Welt parking lot.

Last edited by GrussGott; 07-22-2014 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #11
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
How to make your own safety tethers:

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #12
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Hmm...this camera looks legit for the price.

But not sure about the tether. Seems like the camera could do some damage at high speeds (flopping around in the wind). Would rather just lose a mobius, than get some dents in the door panel.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #13
GBPackerfan1963
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5 2007 E60 550i

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
How to make your own safety tethers:

Just imagine if you made it a tad too long and now it's bouncing off of the pavement smacking the side of you new F8X.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #14
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Dude racing an e30? crashes and the mobius seems rock solid:

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:43 AM   #15
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

^
Spec E30...so want.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #16
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Waterproof case for the Mobius:

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #17
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well I got my $79 Mobius and I"m pretty impressed - I expected it to feel all cheap and crappy but it's actually really nice - it has a surprisingly sturdy feel and it's got a nice rubberized coating like my Nexus 5. It's going right on the charger and then for some road tests in a few days.

Here's what you get for $79:

(the chap stick is mine)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #18
savaho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Don't forget to focus it. I thought it was already focused OTB but I was wrong.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #19
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott
Well I got my $79 Mobius and I"m pretty impressed - I expected it to feel all cheap and crappy but it's actually really nice - it has a surprisingly sturdy feel and it's got a nice rubberized coating like my Nexus 5. It's going right on the charger and then for some road tests in a few days.

Here's what you get for $79:

(the chap stick is mine)
Thanks for sharing this info and the links. I'm tempted. Which camera did you get - the regular or wide-angle?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #20
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by savaho View Post
Don't forget to focus it. I thought it was already focused OTB but I was wrong
Great tip! Do you have the standard or wide angle? I started with standard as I hate the fish-eye effect.

Last edited by GrussGott; 07-22-2014 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #21
savaho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great tip! Do you have the standard or wide angle? I started with standard as I hate the fish-eye effect.
I have the wide angle lens. Funny thing is after seeing this thread I've started using the camera again. Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #22
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Where is the best place to mount this cam? Is there a power cable that is thin enough so that I can route it between gaps down to the power outlet that is under the glovebox on the passenger side?

EDIT: Never mind, I ended up ordering a mini 803. I think it has a better mounting option for cars and it has a GPS logger.

Last edited by Sir Loin; 08-29-2014 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 0