GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #23
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Not to thread jack.. But who has more miles on there M, you or your spouse? An who's gotten a ticket.

O, an nice shirt
Well... I had a head start overseas We are using hers more often right now to catch it up. The goal is to keep the miles about equal between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Maybe its because downshifting takes too long with that 1920s transmission... :P lol sorry couldn't resist buddy.
BUT I have the upgraded steam valve and I put more wood in the fire! You know that's good for at least 2ms off my shifting time!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #24
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
Well... I had a head start overseas We are using hers more often right now to catch it up. The goal is to keep the miles about equal between them.
Epic
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #25
elias
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I have the 6MT and to be honest I don't feel much of any turbo lag, is there
any difference in lag between the DCT and 6MT?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #26
JeffM-Houston
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - White/Sakir

I know of several people thinking they were feeling turbo lag. Until they turned traction control full off, then they figured out it was traction control lag. At low speed with traction control off mine burns up the rear tires with no measurable hesitation.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #27
dclowd9901
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias View Post
Never driven the 6MT, but I have to imagine it's the same so long as you keep it in the *very-generous* powerband range (which, realistically is more generous than any NA car, with the exception of a steeper, and thus more finicky, torque curve)
      12-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #28
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Hey Tonymia, what's the matter for you ha?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #29
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM-Houston View Post
I know of several people thinking they were feeling turbo lag. Until they turned traction control full off, then they figured out it was traction control lag. At low speed with traction control off mine burns up the rear tires with no measurable hesitation.
I noticed that a lot on the Nurburgring because I kept everything on with an unfamiliar car and unfamiliar track. On the street here though, I still notice pronounced lag with everything off. I'm fortunate to have another M3 at my disposal to compare to and they feel identical. Not my imagination.

Anyways, just an observation in street driving that I'm perfectly OK living with.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #30
Algol
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias View Post
No lag in the DCT, what people are experiencing is the aggressive traction control. Anyone who says this car has even a whiff of lag needs to go drive an STI
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #31
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Even the Mclaren P1 lags and it's got an electric motor to boot (so I've read in britishland).

So as consumers, we make a choice:

Ceteris paribus, would you rather have the instantaneous throttle response of the E9X's NA V8 or w/ a little bit of lag, get the massive bump in torque/power in the lighter, smaller, more efficient F8X unit?

Latter, all day everyday.
      12-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #32
BPe90M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I am gonna guess people here havent driven an evo.
Lol. I was just gonna say this. My brother has an Evo X and that thing has lag. Lag is virtually nonexistent in the M3/4
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #33
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
BUT I have the upgraded steam valve and I put more wood in the fire! You know that's good for at least 2ms off my shifting time!
There is your problem.

You should have shelled out for the coal burning boiler option.

Those guys I have shoveling coal sometimes get lazy, but then I tell them "shovel faster or no supper for you!" and there goes any lag at all.

(of course, having to carry that coal hopper behind the car is a bit of a PITA but....what you gonna do?)
      12-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #34
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

Lag is part of turbo fun, either you get it or you don't lol (ie, your a turbo guy or not). This car barely has any!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #35
JS919
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
I only notice the lag when taking off from a dead stop. With the throttle set on sport, above 2500 RPM it's really not noticeable to me at all. Although, I can't guarantee that I've driven more turbo cars than 99.9% of population has driven any car, even if I could I wouldn't state it, because that would sound rather pompous. Just for conversation sake I've owned 28 gas turbo and 8 diesel turbo vehicles, so I have driven a few.

Last edited by JS919; 12-01-2014 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 06:00 PM   #36
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
There is your problem.

You should have shelled out for the coal burning boiler option.

Those guys I have shoveling coal sometimes get lazy, but then I tell them "shovel faster or no supper for you!" and there goes any lag at all.

(of course, having to carry that coal hopper behind the car is a bit of a PITA but....what you gonna do?)
Damn it! The sales guy told me those were the best parts available!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS919 View Post
I only notice the lag when taking off from a dead stop. With the throttle set on sport, above 2500 RPM it's really not noticeable to me at all. Although, I can't guarantee that I've driven more turbo cars than 99.9% of population has driven any car, even if I could I wouldn't state it, because that would sound rather pompous. Just for conversation sake I've owned 28 gas turbo and 8 diesel turbo vehicles, so I have driven a few.
I would say with great certainty that you have owned more forced induction vehicles than 99.9% of the population given that the average number of total vehicles owned in one American's lifetime is 12 and is less internationally.

In any case, my intention is not to sound pompous or to brag but I'm just conveying a message to the guy coming in here with his 2 Subarus accusing me of not having a valid opinion on this matter.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #37
cctm4me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

I have also owned a plethora of turbo'ed vehicles where lag was present and it really boils down to how you are driving the vehicle if you feel any sort of lag.

Of course, you can do as others have mentioned and downshift and feel very little lag.

You can also start in the very low RPM range in a specific gear and take off and you can feel a bit of lag but nothing really to fuss at.

It is certainly not like the T03-T04B days when boost took about 6 months to build. I could even light a ciggy, point at a chick in the next car over with the pedal on the floor during the lag before it all kicked in.

It's good to hear other members takes on things and the way these cars are designed, even like the little baby 2.0t motors with the K03, they still offer very little lag and a good bit of a kick in the pants.
      12-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #38
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
In any case, my intention is not to sound pompous or to brag but I'm just conveying a message to the guy coming in here with his 2 Subarus accusing me of not having a valid opinion on this matter.
I'm coming from a different place ...

I've been lucky enough to have spent the better part of a decade driving NA V8 performance cars as my dailys ... my only turbo car experience was with a 2.7tt audi allroad. Definitely lag with that car.

But mostly driving NA V8s I'm pretty sensitive to lag since I never experience it. Maybe I'm just not paying attention but the F8x is the first turbo car I've driven where I never even noticed it.

For days of driving I had forgotten it even was turbo car ... so for me there's no lag
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #39
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Turbo lag was the first thing I noticed on my initial drive of the M4. I had just gotten out of my E46 M which is a lot slower but way better throttle response feel.

As OP said it is a turbo car so some lag expected; luckily less than most turbo cars but definitely there and noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #40
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
So how do u downshift when starting from a stop in first gear and accelerating up through the gears to 5th gear?
Why would that matter? Grow some balls and use launch control if your gonna race someone. Plus why would having 420hp/450tq power spike from a stop help with the car getting traction. Once again this thread is invalid. Turbo lag use to be a gap in shifts for the turbo to spool. This is none existent on this car. If your referring to a the gap between 2k and 3k learn how to drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #41
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Reviewers said the same thing about the 1M (little to no lag), and once I finally drove one, the lag was extremely apparent to me, as bad as the normal N54 and N55s. The issue may be that many testers are always on the throttle, which keeps the turbos on the boil and lag becomes less noticeable. However, if you are cruising at 80 mph barely on the throttle and suddenly gun it, that's where the lag becomes very apparent. Also, it becomes apparent in less than ideal conditions. At the M-school the 1Ms were very tricky to handle on the wet track because of lag, which made you use more throttle (due to lag) than you had to and then there would come a rush of torque that invariably caused the rear end to come out. Very different compared to the silky smooth E60s and E90s, which responded immediately to inputs and were extremely easy to handle on the wet track. Also, with the individual throttle bodies, an engine like the S65 has more instantaneous throttle response than nearly every engine out there, so when you make the comparison to the best throttle response engine to a t/c application, it will be noticeable.

If you're either heavy or neutral on the throttle or under threshold braking at the track in dry conditions, the lag is probably less of an issue for many.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #42
m3rxn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: boosted Inline 6's

Let me correct myself. Turbo lag is there..until I downshift..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 07:19 PM   #43
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

In Sport + I don't notice any lag at all on upshifts with 6MT. I think that is the huge accomplishment of the turbo technology in the F80.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #44
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
Why would that matter? Grow some balls and use launch control if your gonna race someone. Plus why would having 420hp/450tq power spike from a stop help with the car getting traction. Once again this thread is invalid. Turbo lag use to be a gap in shifts for the turbo to spool. This is none existent on this car. If your referring to a the gap between 2k and 3k learn how to drive.
Ashley Schaeffer, is that really you!?

"I had a dream about this moment... When I was making love... to my wife Donna. On top a her; powerful thrusts, filling the sultry night air. Heavy breath. My son Gabriel walked in, little boy. My wife sprung out of bed and said "No, Gabriel! Leave!" And I said "No, honey, shut your mouth, let him watch." Let him watch what is being consecrated here. And I want the people to watch what is going to be consecrated here. And I will bring my son down here, and he will watch."