R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

08-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #111
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkhan456 View Post
I have a lot of rattle from the LED light strips on the doors. Anyone have that issue and have an idea how to fix it?
If you have LED light rattling, you can try applying one layer of felt tape behind LED light. You only have to apply felt at last inch or so of LED light strip as that is area where it is little bit loose. If you apply across entire LED strip, you won't able to push this in back to the pocket.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #112
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkhan456
I have a lot of rattle from the LED light strips on the doors. Anyone have that issue and have an idea how to fix it?
That's such a coincidence, they diagnosed that problem on my car and they are attempting to fix it. I'll post whatever is in the report. Surprise, after working on the car for the 3rd day, they still can't fix the rattles, and I think because they opened the door twice already, it's worse...
UPDATE: it seems that the LED area is noisy, if you push somewhere along the line, it quiets some noises. We went for an extensive road test, as the master tech was not happy w the result and he assured me that they really want to fix it... I was like forget it, and he kept insisting

I never knew we even had LEDs there, I've never noticed they do anything... But I took a pic. If these are the culprit, I'll just yank them out!
Attached Images

Last edited by aboulfad; 08-05-2015 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 07:41 AM   #113
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Roof Creaking/Crackling Fix

Hey all. I've commented on a couple of the other DIY fix rattle and noise fix threads, but this is something a little different. I had a VERY loud/noticeable crackling and popping coming from what sounded to me like the pillar between the drivers side front and rear door (F80). My girlfriend noticed the sound as well and told me she though it was definitely coming from "the roof" on her side and maybe where the roof and the door connect.

I read through some of the forums and noted that people had ordered teflon tape, because it could in fact be the door seals that are causing all of the trouble. I thought about doing this, and then actually accidently ordered this hilarious 1/8 of an inch wide teflon tape by not paying attention (needless to say this tape would serve no purpose for this particular issue!).

I decided if the issue really was a "rub" between the door seals and the gloss black trim that they connect to inside the door frame, it probably just had to do with the seals "drying out" over time and becoming a little too grippy, as this is effectively what teflon tape is all about fixing as well in many applications. . . However, the tape itself would connect to the gloss black trim, NOT the rubber door seals, so it wouldn't actually be fixing the underlying problem as the gloss black trim should effectively be the same as when the car was brand new. On the other hand, we've all seen rubber dry out, bleach, and change its look and feel over time by sitting in the sun etc.

Thankfully we all also know that Armor All and similar projects can "rejuvinate" such rubber parts by taking the old "dead material" off the outside and then protecting and sealing the remaining rubber for a period of time.

So what did I do? I Armor All'd the door seals on each door up really nicely and wiped them down with a terry cloth. The sound difference was NIGHT and DAY immediately thereafter, and 3 days later I still have no creaking what so ever. I did the seals that are rubber/squishy that make a pressure seal on the door as well as the slightly more "felt" finished seals which seem to make another seal outside of the rubber one. Honestly Armor All isn't going to hurt anything near the rubber in question so go ahead and spray it liberally right on a cloth and wipe the heck out of all the rubber you see when you open the door (attached to the door) and you'll be absolutely fine.

So it turns out the door seals just needed some love! I would strongly urge anyone who hears the roof crackle and popping sounds to give this a go before bothering your dealer and spending your time and money trying to install teflon tape all around the seals, as for me it was a 100% fix.

FYI the car had about 8300 miles on it when the sound began to really get noticeable and the "fix" was completed at 9800 miles. It currently has 10350 miles with no more shake rattle and roll!

I sincerely hope that this helps you guys. My car feels and sounds like the wonderful piece of engineering it is now and not a soft top 1999 Jeep Wrangler when I pull out of my driveway (and I'm not knocking that car or its roof, I loved it when I had it! An M3 sedan simply shouldn't make as much roof noise as one of those bad boys!)

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 07:44 AM   #114
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Good to know as I started to get the same pop. Will give it a go today.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #115
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Gummi pflege works great too.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #116
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

OP...can you share a pic of the locations that you applied the Armor All to?

I have used Aerospace 404 to protect and rejuvenate rubber surfaces on my M3. Any thoughts on this for the same purpose?

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #117
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

If you have been with BMW for a while, nothing new here You would think a company as reputed as BMW would fix this over 3 generations but no, they continue to ignore the issue I had this issue on my E46 M3 and also on my E90 M3 and used this fix every year. Fixed the creaks every single time..........

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...highlight=seal

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #118
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
I, too, would love to see some pics of this.

Recently, those popping/creaking noises from those exact parts have become ridiculous, and i'm a shade under 5K miles. Even my kids are commenting "Dad is there gravel hitting your car?".

The thing is, I used gummi fledge literally the day I got home with the car from re-delivery on all those rubbery seals on the doors.

Has anyone also checked that little gloss black strip right along side the CF roof on each side? I pressed in on that the other day and it made a very annoying creaking sound as well. Wonder if some of the noise is coming from those 2 strips.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #119
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
I Armor All'd the door seals on each door up really nicely and wiped them down with a terry cloth.
Agreed! I use some optimum no rinse instead while I'm washing the rest of the car, but the idea is exactly the same (clean the door seals!)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 11:27 AM   #120
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

lol. 70k cars are really going down the tube these days. something for me to look forward to when I get my M4. Although, my E92 at 30k+ doesn't have any noticeable creaking that bothers me...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 04:52 PM   #121
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
lol. 70k cars are really going down the tube these days. something for me to look forward to when I get my M4. Although, my E92 at 30k+ doesn't have any noticeable creaking that bothers me...
Right, I had no issue on my e92 and e82.
F80 is first BMW that I owned that has this issue...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 10:38 PM   #122
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky1215 View Post
Right, I had no issue on my e92 and e82.
F80 is first BMW that I owned that has this issue...
I think this is a sedan only type issue as coupes have frameless windows.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #123
C_Treadwell
Boost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White M3

I complained about the noise at my 5k mile oil change and the dealers applied this fix. It sounds amazing, by which I mean it makes no sound at all anymore. I'm really happy I didn't have to explore the teflon tape hack.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #124
brianeck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
OP...can you share a pic of the locations that you applied the Armor All to?

I have used Aerospace 404 to protect and rejuvenate rubber surfaces on my M3. Any thoughts on this for the same purpose?
Unfortunately I cannot. . . :mad0 260:

My car was hit by a firetruck while parked overnight on Monday. Quarter panel, fender flare, rear bumper, wheel, and a blown out rear tire sidewall. . . I won't have it back for some time and I'm heartbroken. Thankfully a police report was filed at the time. I'm gonna make a new post about it now with some pics you're welcome to check out the lovely damage!

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #125
sh55
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9805 E46 ZCP 6MT and '9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessir
Gummi pflege works great too.
+1 Gummi pfledge is the best stuff for rubber seals IMO
'97 911S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #126
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:

My car was hit by a firetruck while parked overnight on Monday. Quarter panel, fender flare, rear bumper, wheel, and a blown out rear tire sidewall. . . I won't have it back for some time and I'm heartbroken. Thankfully a police report was filed at the time. I'm gonna make a new post about it now with some pics you're welcome to check out the lovely damage!
OH DAMN!!! Sorry to hear that man. Maybe they thought your car was a fire vehicle as well? jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh55 View Post
+1 Gummi pfledge is the best stuff for rubber seals IMO
I thought this stuff was discontinued?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #127
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Quote:

I am so sorry my friend. I hope everything is put back together to your satisfaction. On the bright side, you were not in the car or next to the car when the fire truck hit your F80...health trumps car injury every time.

Post some pics of the repairs...

God speed...

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 06:50 AM   #128
TRKY
Private
Rep
Drives: F80

OP which Armor All product did you use?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 08:25 AM   #129
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:

I decided if the issue really was a "rub" between the door seals and the gloss black trim that they connect to inside the door frame, it probably just had to do with the seals "drying out" over time and becoming a little too grippy

So what did I do? I Armor All'd the door seals on each door up really nicely and wiped them down with a terry cloth. The sound difference was NIGHT and DAY immediately thereafter, and 3 days later I still have no creaking what so ever. I did the seals that are rubber/squishy that make a pressure seal on the door as well as the slightly more "felt" finished seals which seem to make another seal outside of the rubber one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
If you have been with BMW for a while, nothing new here You would think a company as reputed as BMW would fix this over 3 generations but no, they continue to ignore the issue I had this issue on my E46 M3 and also on my E90 M3 and used this fix every year. Fixed the creaks every single time..........

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...highlight=seal
This has worked....so far!

I used Gummi Pflege but this time focused on the upper rubber seals that seem to go up against the gloss black trim, rather than the "squishy" rubber seals.

I did one very liberal coat over that harder rubber trim, rubbed it in with a microfiber towel and then did a second liberal coat this time not rubbing it in and letting it dry (as per the instructions).

Note of caution, if using Gummi, if you are using it liberally it does have a tendency to drip.....and if you're applying this to the right areas, it will drip down onto some of your leather paneling. Make sure you wipe this immediately because if you don't it will stain your leather. This happened to me, but I use Blackrock Leather cleaner/protectant (w/Caranuba) and after I used this on the stain the leather was back to perfect again.

Anyway, after one day, this rejuvenating of the hard rubber seals around the gloss black trim has eliminated the creaks and pops that I was certain came from the roof. This fix does work! What was bothering the hell out of me, now doesn't and it sounds the way it should...solid.

The thing is, it shouldn't be that you have to do this. My car has under 5K miles on it and there is no way that I should have to rejuvenate the rubber seals after only this long....but whatever. Glad it could be fixed.

I am curious, however, as to how long this will last and how often i'll have to re-apply Gummi. I wash my car weekly, so I am wondering if that has something to do with it.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #130
brianeck
Rep

I'm happy this seems to be working for others as well!

Gummi Fledge or Armorall should basically serve the same purpose here which is lubing up the rubber so it isn't all dry and super grippy and it can slide without too much friction on the gloss black closure trim.

I hope this quick fix can help as many as possible as there were quite a lot of rattle and popcorn sound threads recently.

If you don't have Gummi Fledge I can totally stand by about 8 days of absolute silence in the car over all types of road surfaces using Armorall alone. . . Since it took 8k miles to become an issue the first time I highly doubt it will have to be repeated too often and either way it takes all of 1 minute to rub all 4 doors down. You F82 guys have it easy

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #131
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
I am curious, however, as to how long this will last and how often i'll have to re-apply Gummi. I wash my car weekly, so I am wondering if that has something to do with it.
I have a tube of Gummi Pflege I bought over 10 years ago for my E46 M3 and it is still more than half full. After a couple of initial liberal applications, I found that I only needed to reapply a small amount about once a year in the winter: otherwise the rubber seals tended to harden with the cold weather and become noisy again.
      08-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #132
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
I have a tube of Gummi Pflege I bought over 10 years ago for my E46 M3 and it is still more than half full. After a couple of initial liberal applications, I found that I only needed to reapply a small amount about once a year in the winter: otherwise the rubber seals tended to harden with the cold weather and become noisy again.
The thing is, I applied Gummi about 3500 miles ago when the car got back from ED. However, it's quite possible I didn't apply it to the right areas and just focused on the "spongy" rubber seals.

Appreciate 0