Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

08-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #23
SupremePower1
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: ///

Quote:
Originally Posted by l888apex View Post
That's the part of the racing the human is supposed to do
Ha!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #24
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
We have plenty of videos with views like yours and will be sharing in the near future.
please share! i love watching these types of videos to learn stuff. do you have a link?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #25
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclowd9901
Are there any apps that will suggest turn speeds for you while you're driving?
There are an absurd number of variables that would affect this speed value (road surface condition, tire compound, tire pressure, tire temperature, how your vehicle is set in terms of weight transfer). And before we even get to any of that, we need to know what part of the turn you're talking about: corner entry, mid-corner, corner exit.

Even if there were an app that currently exists to do this, it wouldn't help you anyway because at the limit you'll need to feel for the oversteer and/or understeer and make small adjustments based on that. Watching for the computer's suggested speed at every discrete interval of the corner and then trying to match that by watching your speedometer just won't cut it (especially when tenths of a mph can be the difference between 7 degrees of slip and 15 degrees of slip, for example).
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #26
dclowd9901
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post
There are an absurd number of variables that would affect this speed value (road surface condition, tire compound, tire pressure, tire temperature, how your vehicle is set in terms of weight transfer). And before we even get to any of that, we need to know what part of the turn you're talking about: corner entry, mid-corner, corner exit.

Even if there were an app that currently exists to do this, it wouldn't help you anyway because at the limit you'll need to feel for the oversteer and/or understeer and make small adjustments based on that. Watching for the computer's suggested speed at every discrete interval of the corner and then trying to match that by watching your speedometer just won't cut it (especially when tenths of a mph can be the difference between 7 degrees of slip and 15 degrees of slip, for example).
Not sure all of that is necessary. We're not talking about precision or setting lap records: just avoiding hitting a corner *way* too hot (i.e. hitting it at 5th gear speeds vs. 3rd gear speeds) and wrecking your ride.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #27
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclowd9901
Quote:

Not sure all of that is necessary. We're not talking about precision or setting lap records: just avoiding hitting a corner *way* too hot (i.e. hitting it at 5th gear speeds vs. 3rd gear speeds) and wrecking your ride.
Haha even if that's all we're talking about, this hypothetical app still isn't necessary! If you're new to a track you shouldn't be going out blazing the second you leave the pit. With as many laps as it takes to learn the course, you'll be more than prepared to navigate the turns at appropriate speeds.

If we're talking about people with little to no experience wanting to drive as fast as possible without knowing the track, I can't see how anyone would support that.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #28
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Haha even if that's all we're talking about, this hypothetical app still isn't necessary! If you're new to a track you shouldn't be going out blazing the second you leave the pit. With as many laps as it takes to learn the course, you'll be more than prepared to navigate the turns at appropriate speeds.

If we're talking about people with little to no experience wanting to drive as fast as possible without knowing the track, I can't see how anyone would support that.
there is an app for that guys. its called the puckering of your ahole.

if you're puckering too much, hmm, best to know car control first.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #29
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3
Quote:

there is an app for that guys. its called the puckering of your ahole.

if you're puckering too much, hmm, best to know car control first.

:
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 06:40 AM   #30
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

The question was if there was an app that would suggest corner entry speeds. A co-driver in a rally gives upcoming turn direction, severity, course features, and of course is a second pair of eyes. the driver still has to determine what his entry speed should be.

What you are talking about is an app that shows if there is a left or right coming up. But what you may not understand is there are many blind crests on the course. Especially on a public day you have no idea whats ahead of you. There could be a car that spun on ex-muhle right past the crest and is facing you as you come up on it at 60 mph. Its probably better to be focusing on the road than looking at your iphone screen.

The best way to drive the Nurburgring the first time is to do it in a private HPDE event with a coach. If you must do the public lap then its essential to have an experienced driver ride with you. For our group i couldn't get us private time on the Nurburgring however I did arrange for every driver to have a coach with them to safely guide them around the course for their first lap.

Now I see some merit in the app you talk about but probably need a huge disclaimer on that one and its probably why there isn't an app like that yet. the liability is just too high as that track in particular is far too unpredictable and dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclowd9901 View Post
Tell that to rally drivers.

Rally codrivers tend to give direction 1 or 2 turns in advance (depending on the tightness)... it's not unreasonable to make an app that could do this as well.

I don't disagree that a driver should know their course in most cases, but unless you're Sabine Schmitz, hitting the Nurburgring is a liability *without* some kind of turn direction.

If what you're telling me is that such an app doesn't exist, then I think I'll go ahead and make one ahead of my trip to the green hell.
      08-14-2014, 06:49 AM   #31
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo8765 View Post
He was mostly shifting around 6500. How come?
The car is fun to run out to redline however there really is no need to do that with the power curve of the car. Also as I endurance race its kinda beat into my head to optimize equipment wear/tear while also trying to maximize speed. its a very fun and challenging problem to have. end result of staying 1k off redline was probably another 7 laps on a tank of fuel. in europe its $9 a gallon.
As it was just for grins or showing the line for students I lit up the tires. we don't do that in a race either but it sure is fun.
      08-14-2014, 06:56 AM   #32
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

haha well i am old as well but that doesn't mean we are obsolete! It was better than nothing. I had several passengers all with fancy new gopro's. we even had a camera crew ride along with me. Miguel is in charge of all that stuff. I'm sure we will see the uhd 4k version someday

you video looks great! I used to instruct with speed ventures. good group. I miss CSW/autoclub speedway/whatever its called now.

yep we could use you on our next trip as you clearly have an eye for video.
haha nice legs! I recommend wearing long pants in the car. I know its hot out in fontucky but as you know shit happens and covered legs might at least give you a fighting chance should there be a chassis fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
yeah it does look old!

i have plenty of vids on the track (no datalogging in video but i have mlaptimer on and compare my inputs to faster friends).....but my videos are from between the front seats so i can see steering input, a foot cam to show foot work, and my mic is attached to the rear so i can hear throttle input.

dont want to thread jack or get hated on because im still of the e9x group (i'm poor or i would possibly have an m4 already)

i actually want to go out to europe to enjoy all those amazing tracks!!

if its ok i have posted my latest video here...i will remove if needed.

08-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #33
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell
haha well i am old as well but that doesn't mean we are obsolete! It was better than nothing. I had several passengers all with fancy new gopro's. we even had a camera crew ride along with me. Miguel is in charge of all that stuff. I'm sure we will see the uhd 4k version someday

you video looks great! I used to instruct with speed ventures. good group. I miss CSW/autoclub speedway/whatever its called now.

yep we could use you on our next trip as you clearly have an eye for video.
haha nice legs! I recommend wearing long pants in the car. I know its hot out in fontucky but as you know shit happens and covered legs might at least give you a fighting chance should there be a chassis fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
yeah it does look old!

i have plenty of vids on the track (no datalogging in video but i have mlaptimer on and compare my inputs to faster friends).....but my videos are from between the front seats so i can see steering input, a foot cam to show foot work, and my mic is attached to the rear so i can hear throttle input.

dont want to thread jack or get hated on because im still of the e9x group (i'm poor or i would possibly have an m4 already)

i actually want to go out to europe to enjoy all those amazing tracks!!

if its ok i have posted my latest video here...i will remove if needed.

i wasnt wearing pants. thats how i roll.

yeah I've worn pants before and it is hot and it is safer. might just throw them on to drive next time. then hang around in tightie whites when standing around in the sun. thank god for garages at acs.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #34
jskrilla
Second Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Thanks for the vids, great post
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #35
dclowd9901
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
The question was if there was an app that would suggest corner entry speeds. A co-driver in a rally gives upcoming turn direction, severity, course features, and of course is a second pair of eyes. the driver still has to determine what his entry speed should be.

What you are talking about is an app that shows if there is a left or right coming up. But what you may not understand is there are many blind crests on the course. Especially on a public day you have no idea whats ahead of you. There could be a car that spun on ex-muhle right past the crest and is facing you as you come up on it at 60 mph. Its probably better to be focusing on the road than looking at your iphone screen.

The best way to drive the Nurburgring the first time is to do it in a private HPDE event with a coach. If you must do the public lap then its essential to have an experienced driver ride with you. For our group i couldn't get us private time on the Nurburgring however I did arrange for every driver to have a coach with them to safely guide them around the course for their first lap.

Now I see some merit in the app you talk about but probably need a huge disclaimer on that one and its probably why there isn't an app like that yet. the liability is just too high as that track in particular is far too unpredictable and dangerous.
Thanks for the insight. I would probably rely more on audio cues (again, as rally drivers tend to). If I go ahead with trying to build such a thing, I'll do some research first on the liability of providing it to the public, but I don't necessarily need to release it to the public to use it for myself.

I'll keep the board posted to see if there's any interest.