proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

10-18-2016, 04:14 PM   #45
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I could understand if you'd called them up and said I've had a 5k set of 20" HRE split rims fitted as they would have to cover the additional cost on any future loss, but I really don't see how they can justify the fitting of cheaper wheels as an additional cost.

I'd go back and complain I know it's only a few quid but really.
I did argue it on the chat thing but they were not interested. I might do but at the same time can't be bothered moving it when I have just started the policy.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #46
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

Quote:
I'm with Aviva and they don't mind tyres and or wheels.
I'm with Aviva and they didn't charge for my winters. I did inform them they were different to my summer wheels, different size. Must remember to avoid Hastings...
      10-21-2016, 05:27 AM   #47
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwojcik View Post
I'm with Aviva and they didn't charge for my winters. I did inform them they were different to my summer wheels, different size. Must remember to avoid Hastings...
Yep good insurer Aviva.
      10-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #48
iamjim
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80 CP | DCT | SO | CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGuk View Post
Has anyone any experience with their M3/4 with winter tyres and snow, does the car actually move up a hill on winters if there's snow on the ground?

I live somewhere rural and essentially need to drive up a hill to get out and I'm wondering if I should be bothering at all with winter tyres or just buy a cheap car that will handle the snow better to get me to work?

Doing a bit of research online and it seems that the Nokian WR A4's are the best out there at the moment.

Nokian WR A4
Tommy, what do you need to know?

I have a fair amount of miles in proper snow (not the UK slush you call snow) and ice driving through the Austrian Alps. Most cars RWD with 400+ HP and winter tyres.
Appreciate 1
TommyGuk327.00
      10-25-2016, 08:01 AM   #49
TommyGuk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversaydie View Post
Tommy, what do you need to know?

I have a fair amount of miles in proper snow (not the UK slush you call snow) and ice driving through the Austrian Alps. Most cars RWD with 400+ HP and winter tyres.
I was just interested in what the limits of the cars are on winter tyres. I know on summers near where I live the car would be going nowhere if it snows. Are steep hills full of snow a problem for it on winters?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 09:58 AM   #50
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

It is the depth of snow rather than traction that is more likely to be a problem as are frozen ruts which could do damage. As I said above car will do hills starts on snow on winters whereas will have difficulty moving off on the level PSS.
Appreciate 1
TommyGuk327.00
      10-25-2016, 01:20 PM   #51
iamjim
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep

In winter (and we have had some really good winters and some more mild recently in Austria) the tyres play a huge part in the traction. The M3/M4 will have no issues going up or down a hill as long as you drive the car correctly. No sudden movements that will unsettle the car is key. Keeping good distances and thinking ahead. The way the car is driven and how you modulate the power. If the car is driven correctly the car will drive just fine with little to no correction on the steering wheel.

In fact it is easier to go up hill than down hill. Breaking represents huge challenges if everything is to late or unpredictable. Really there should be no surprises if the above is all kept too - surprises only happen when going to fast or another factor outside your control.

I really don't recommend going into efficient modes as this will just starve the car of power thus giving little or no traction when you really need it. Sport would suffice - just modulate the power and don't go nuts with the loud pedal!

FYI, I run 265/30/20 all round for winter and have low profile chains also if the going gets tough. The boot also has a fold away shovel, 5 litre of water, a spare empty bottle, blankets and two carpet tiles I will leave you to figure out why haha so yes some limits on winters!!
Appreciate 2
gatsojon498.00
      10-25-2016, 04:05 PM   #52
TommyGuk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
In winter (and we have had some really good winters and some more mild recently in Austria) the tyres play a huge part in the traction. The M3/M4 will have no issues going up or down a hill as long as you drive the car correctly. No sudden movements that will unsettle the car is key. Keeping good distances and thinking ahead. The way the car is driven and how you modulate the power. If the car is driven correctly the car will drive just fine with little to no correction on the steering wheel.

In fact it is easier to go up hill than down hill. Breaking represents huge challenges if everything is to late or unpredictable. Really there should be no surprises if the above is all kept too - surprises only happen when going to fast or another factor outside your control.

I really don't recommend going into efficient modes as this will just starve the car of power thus giving little or no traction when you really need it. Sport would suffice - just modulate the power and don't go nuts with the loud pedal!

FYI, I run 265/30/20 all round for winter and have low profile chains also if the going gets tough. The boot also has a fold away shovel, 5 litre of water, a spare empty bottle, blankets and two carpet tiles I will leave you to figure out why haha so yes some limits on winters!!
Brilliant post. Thank you very much for your reply, it makes me feel more confident knowing that the M3/4 can handle winter with some good shoes on
Appreciate 1
iamjim156.50
      10-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #53
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Quote:

carpet tiles for traction, to start off?
Appreciate 1
iamjim156.50
      10-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #54
iamjim
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfoggy View Post
carpet tiles for traction, to start off?
Yes for sure!

Situation mostly arrises when having left the car in the same spot (parked nose in / forwards so have to reverse out) for a week or two. It may not have snowed too much but the ice after say heavy sleet can be a problem (usually frozen puddles of water that have dripped off the car onto the ground and frozen) and hassle of fitting snow chains not essential 2 mins down on the maintained main road once off the track where you may have parked.

Hope that makes sense
Appreciate 1
ajfoggy1516.00
      10-28-2016, 02:19 AM   #55
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Unless we have an exceptional winter like 1940/47/63/78 we're very unlikely to encounter in the UK conditions on paved roads that a sensibly driven winter shod M3/4 won't handle.

I've used winters on M cars for years, the kind of snow we get isn't an issue (not much, if anything for most of us), It's difficult to get your head around if you've never used them and are used to just sat there spinning your wheels but they do work.

Winter 2010-2011 was one of the worst I've driven in especially the beginning of Dec, I remember driving 210 miles through blizzards, up and over 900ft moorland B roads on inches of packed snow due to the gridlock in the cities, I was on winters and the car a 911 C2S performed perfectly.

Of course you're not going to punch your way through a huge snow drift on your way to traversing snake pass in white out conditions but they close that thing even in the summer....
ajfoggy1516.00
gatsojon498.00
      10-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #56
iamjim
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Unless we have an exceptional winter like 1940/47/63/78 we're very unlikely to encounter in the UK conditions on paved roads that a sensibly driven winter shod M3/4 won't handle.

I've used winters on M cars for years, the kind of snow we get isn't an issue (not much, if anything for most of us), It's difficult to get your head around if you've never used them and are used to just sat there spinning your wheels but they do work.

Winter 2010-2011 was one of the worst I've driven in especially the beginning of Dec, I remember driving 210 miles through blizzards, up and over 900ft moorland B roads on inches of packed snow due to the gridlock in the cities, I was on winters and the car a 911 C2S performed perfectly.

Of course you're not going to punch your way through a huge snow drift on your way to traversing snake pass in white out conditions but they close that thing even in the summer....
BUT... If the rest of you don't have winter tyres on

...you are still stuck!

..In TRAFFIC

...For hours

...For days

...For nights and probably weeks
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #57
iamjim
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/...-disaster-film

I remember.

Last time I drove in winter proper over here in the UK, not because I can't... because I couldn't.

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #58
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversaydie
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/...-disaster-film

I remember.

Last time I drove in winter proper over here in the UK, not because I can't... because I couldn't.

Yep, I remember it well. Got stuck on the expressway for 12 hours!!!
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #59
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
BUT... If the rest of you don't have winter tyres on

...you are still stuck!
..In TRAFFIC
...For hours
...For days
...For nights and probably weeks
Ha! Yeah I guess in some situations you might be, I was lucky that day that I managed to move off the A1 and travel through deserted back roads (an opportunity afforded me by the tyres)
      10-29-2016, 05:29 AM   #60
samf
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition

selling a set of 19" 437m black with winter tyres

Hi Forester, I'm selling a set of the std 19" wheels - 437m black with brand new unused Michelin alpin PA4 wintertyres. Pm me if you are interested
Appreciate 0