Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

01-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
HotIce
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

F80 M3 Spotted Cold weather testing

http://www.caranddriver.com/photos-1...o-photo-439384
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

No power dome
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
No power dome
Half of the previous M3's didn't have one, kinda glad to see it go. No fake intake vent on the right side either. Let's all hope the inevitable side vents don't look like they came off a Taurus like the poor M5's and there's no soundtrack of the engine piped into the interior.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Half of the previous M3's didn't have one, kinda glad to see it go. No fake intake vent on the right side either. Let's all hope the inevitable side vents don't look like they came off a Taurus like the poor M5's and there's no soundtrack of the engine piped into the interior.
I'm with you on the fake soundtrack. I'm also with you on the ugly side gills. I am also/as well/too with you on the fake hood vent -- I would have been perfectly happy with an asymmetrical hood.

But we are sworn enemies for life over the power dome issue. I want a dome, and I shall smite anyone who disagrees with me. The fewer pieces of sheet metal (or CF) that are shared between the F30 and F80, the better.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But we are sworn enemies for life over the power dome issue.
Ha! Fair enough. This is probably the wrong time to mention that I hate the quad exhaust on non-V M cars too. I just sold my M Coupe and always debated replacing that stupid setup with a single sided exhaust.

Don't get me wrong, I love it on the E9x and E6x cars, as well as the F10 M5, but just find it silly on straight sixes and absolutely hate the double fruit shooters on 335i's.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ha! Fair enough. This is probably the wrong time to mention that I hate the quad exhaust on non-V M cars too. I just sold my M Coupe and always debated replacing that stupid setup with a single sided exhaust.

Don't get me wrong, I love it on the E9x and E6x cars, as well as the F10 M5, but just find it silly on straight sixes and absolutely hate the double fruit shooters on 335i's.
Yes, form should always follow function*.

*Except for power domes -- they're exempt.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, form should always follow function*.

*Except for power domes -- they're exempt.
Keep an eye out for the F80 test cars. I used to live in Laguna Beach, and frequently saw BMW test mules coming down PCH. I imagine the timing is about right to start seeing them out there about now.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Keep an eye out for the F80 test cars. I used to live in Laguna Beach, and frequently saw BMW test mules coming down PCH. I imagine the timing is about right to start seeing them out there about now.
Yup, they always refuel at the Shell station on Sepulveda and Fiji in Marina del Rey. I saw the E9X M3, E6X M5/M6, and F10 M5 all around this area during their testing phases. Probably won't see them for another 6 months or so, but should be soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
No power dome
+ 1000

I appreciate the form follows function argument but at some stage heritage of design does also play it's part (even a slight rise as a nod to the dome). Porsche w/ the 911 do this so well.

991 CS2 then.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i

Last edited by Voltigeur; 02-18-2012 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
adrianglock
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
I'm with you on the fake soundtrack. I'm also with you on the ugly side gills. I am also/as well/too with you on the fake hood vent -- I would have been perfectly happy with an asymmetrical hood.
Regarding the hood! I think it is just a way to conceal anything about the front end of the car. It's still just a prototype anyway the final design of the car will be shown on it's launch. This is just a way to distract other upcoming cars.