European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #23
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
1. Can the initial read/bench flash/patch/unlock of the DME be done by the owner?
2. Any iPhone or iPad app screenshots?

Thanks and very feature rich!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 11:09 PM   #24
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

I hope "real soon" means like 30 days not 90 days...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 12:25 AM   #25
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Dzenno has been developing this for months if not almost a year. The basic premise is already developed. It's all about polishing now as in UI for the app and what not. He's a perfectionist. He won't release the product until it's 110% perfect for the end user. That's better for all of us.

Another fact that Dzenno forgot to mention, probably because he'd be biased lol, is that he is one of the best flash tuners for the N54/N55 right up there with Terry for the JB4.

With this device and Dzenno's tuning skill set, rest assured you're in good hands. If you don't believe me, there's multiple reviews of PTF over on the "other" forum and even on e90post.

The biggest attraction for me personally is the transparency that is now being provided with the tune in regards to what tables are available/changed.

Tl;dr : Dzenno/PTF is the shit.
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2016, 03:51 AM   #26
hwalk
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Sounds very interesting. Please make sure it's also available in Europe or even better, in Germany...
      05-17-2016, 06:34 AM   #27
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

The E-tune will be available for the non-USA customers?
Dzenno did the e-tune on my 1M and it was very nice, so I wait for the stuff like this for my F80.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 07:46 AM   #28
docalex1
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkk
Dzenno did the e-tune on my 1M and it was very nice, so I wait for the stuff like this for my F80.
Same for me
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #29
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow 6-spd manual M4

Exclamation

For the initial bench flash required to make this product work, I'm assuming will we HAVE to send it to you? Where are you located? Thx. It would be amazing if you can get this device to work without the initial removal of the ECU. Keep up the great strides!👍

Oh yes, almost forgot the most basic question lol, what will you be pricing this device at!?
Appreciate 1
Drag0n3.00
      05-17-2016, 09:34 AM   #30
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
I like the tunability/custom tune issue of it. When/if it does count, I will definitely be interested.
Custom tunability the way factory intended this platform to be tuned along with monitoring/datalogging and ability for both enthusiasts and professional tuner shops to tune and expand further on the platform as desired is our primary goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit View Post
How much e85 can this support before going to fueling upgrades?
We have not explored fuel system limits just yet as all the work is going into getting the software/hardware platform to work flawlessly and offer features as well as tables required for tuning. Once the tools are ready its only a matter of filling up the tank and dialing things in for a given hardware/octane configuration on the car.

E85 is at the heart of making the most power out of these motors given alcohol when direct injected has an effective octane rating of 160 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
Subscribe! Very excited about this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
wow i'm loving so many parts of that list.

phone apps.
resale value of physical device vs flash tunes.
map switching from device vs cables plugged into laptop or JB4 method.

we need an ETA though. i hope its out before the end of the year.
Thank you. We are hoping to release it much sooner than end of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lore2486 View Post
This is great news! Cant wait to join the public beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangreene View Post
So this will be available remotely? I really want to have the extra clamping load on my dct gearbox but I'm in Australia...

And it goes without saying that I want the GTS over run etc...
Yes absolutely. We have a great deal of N54 and N55 customers in Australia, especially the N54. PTF tuned 1M and 135i N54 race cars have won class in the Bathurst 24hr race there a number of times in fact.

Outside of PTF, the platform is built to be tuner agnostic and not exclusive to PTF as a company in any way. bootmod3 platform is independent and features as well as support will be available equally to any tuner supporting it around the globe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
1. Can the initial read/bench flash/patch/unlock of the DME be done by the owner?
2. Any iPhone or iPad app screenshots?

Thanks and very feature rich!
1) Initial jailbreak is entirely doable by anyone out there, however, cost may be prohibitive in acquiring hardware/software required to get the job done with tools such as CMD, KTAG or similar that are very expensive to acquire and don't make sense for any enthusiast that just wants to have fun with their own car. It is typically professional tuner shops that would have the tools to get the initial bootmode read done. Once the original file is read out, they email us the file, we patch it and send it back to write back to the DME. Entire process for a jailbreak shop that has done it before is around 45-60 minutes from the time the DME is pulled out of the car.

2) We're still moving UI elements around in the UI, adjusting layout/styling and adding/adjusting various screens/functionality. We'll post some vids/pics as soon as we have it at least close to where we're happy to release as version 1.

Software is a funny thing and our development process is an agile one (those into software development should recognize the term). Things change on a weekly sometimes daily basis so something posted today may already be outdated the next day or week.

Nice thing about it is that our updates will go out via the app stores and everyone will enjoy any new features and bug fixes as soon as we have them ready to go out with nothing else to download or set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnazzy View Post
I hope "real soon" means like 30 days not 90 days...
ETAs are a horrible thing when it comes to software development It is part of the reason we really try to stay away from the forum until we have something ready to go as we really don't want to present ourselves as a company that promises delivery dates and then have them slip or suffer from releasing a solution that ends up going out prematurely without sufficient in-field testing. We are hoping that once we're outside the closed beta that the public beta process will help cut down with release time.

We have the release planned out in stages so that people can start using the software while we build/add/deliver features incrementally and manage to gather feedback from the user base on any feature requests/changes/issues that people would love to see implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
Dzenno has been developing this for months if not almost a year. The basic premise is already developed. It's all about polishing now as in UI for the app and what not. He's a perfectionist. He won't release the product until it's 110% perfect for the end user. That's better for all of us.

Another fact that Dzenno forgot to mention, probably because he'd be biased lol, is that he is one of the best flash tuners for the N54/N55 right up there with Terry for the JB4.

With this device and Dzenno's tuning skill set, rest assured you're in good hands. If you don't believe me, there's multiple reviews of PTF over on the "other" forum and even on e90post.

The biggest attraction for me personally is the transparency that is now being provided with the tune in regards to what tables are available/changed.

Tl;dr : Dzenno/PTF is the shit.
Thanks @sA x sKy, Appreciate the kind words sir Transparency when it comes to the tune, ability to adjust/datalog/monitor is something many other platforms have enjoyed and take for granted. We are working really hard to deliver on that front here. Being first to fight that battle makes it very difficult but that challenge also brings along additional motivation for us software geeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwalk View Post
Sounds very interesting. Please make sure it's also available in Europe or even better, in Germany...
Absolutely. One of our calibration team members is in Denmark and we've done quite a bit of F series work there actually.

If your vehicle has already been to a tuner and unlocked see if you can get the original file readout and send it in to us for verification at support@protuningfreaks.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkk View Post
Yes, absolutely.

Thanks jackkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M4 PWR View Post
For the initial bench flash required to make this product work, I'm assuming will we HAVE to send it to you? Where are you located? Thx. It would be amazing if you can get this device to work without the initial removal of the ECU. Keep up the great strides!��

Oh yes, almost forgot the most basic question lol, what will you be pricing this device at!?
@[BMW M4 PWR] platform development is entirely done in house here in Toronto, Canada. A number of international retailers as well as professional tuner shops have reached out to us with interest to provide jailbreak/unlock/patch services as well as tuning for their local customers. OBD based jailbreak/unlock is something we are actively working on as well and it'll be a great convenience feature when/if accomplished but until then we are pushing on to implement everything else required of a tuning platform such as this one. Pricing model is still in the works.

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 05-17-2016 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #31
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Say What!!! OMG, Ure in Canada so for once this will be easier for Canadian customers, and let's hope u don't charge in US or adjusted CAD price... BTW, agile does not mean no customer commitments, no dates and no documentation u should share ur Kanban list or ur backlog with us :
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 09:55 AM   #32
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Say What!!! OMG, Ure in Canada so for once this will be easier for Canadian customers, and let's hope u don't charge in US or adjusted CAD price... BTW, agile does not mean no customer commitments, no dates and no documentation u should share ur Kanban list or ur backlog with us :
Hey hey, didn't say it was Scrum based Agile dev Its entirely test driven Kanban development in fact and you should know full well documentation always comes last.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #33
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Hey hey, didn't say it was Scrum based Agile dev Its entirely test driven Kanban development in fact and you should know full well documentation always comes last.
now go back to work before I call your PO ( if you have one) and say you are wasting time on forums
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #34
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Is there any chance this tool will let us 6MT drivers tweak the rev match function? For example: enable/disable rev matching in any drive mode, rev matching only on downshift, etc.

I desperately need these features.

Also, could this tool allow us to convert non-ZCP to ZCP?
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 10:08 AM   #35
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
now go back to work before I call your PO ( if you have one) and say you are wasting time on forums
haha we are trying to stay away from here as much as we possibly can. The more questions here the less code gets implemented where are the human cloning machines when you need them!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 10:14 AM   #36
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
...Also, could this tool allow us to convert non-ZCP to ZCP?
Not yet if you want to use BMWs OEM ZCP firmware wo a ZCP FSC code on a non ZCP car http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1261675

But why would you care about those extra 19HP when you can get maybe more with any other protune using this box (bootmod3 flash tune platform), just asking?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 10:20 AM   #37
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Quote:
Not yet if you want to use BMWs OEM ZCP firmware wo a ZCP FSC code on a non ZCP car http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1261675

But why would you care about those extra 19HP when you can get maybe more with any other protune using this box (bootmod3 flash tune platform).
You're right. It would be a nice but trivial bonus for me. I'm mainly interested in the ability to tweak the rev matching function. It's great for down-shifting but horribly limiting when up-shifting.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #38
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
DME removal

Guys, for the initial bench flash, has anyone removed themselves their DME? I am looking at the REP docs in Rheingold and it's insane, I wanted to share the DIY but I got tired reading the many links and docs... So is the idea that you bring the car to a "pro tuner", they remove the DME, do their stuff, ship it to TPF, then re-install it? That would mean that only owners with pro tuners local to them can proceed that way... Or do the insanely long DIY.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #39
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Its super easy to do. I had mine out in literally 15-20 minutes. You just disconnect the front hose to the water cooler, loosen two little screws on the charge pipe couplers and pull the white plastic insert securing the charge pipe and the top comes off. No need to remove the cowl or the carbon brace. You use a long ratchet extension to take off the intake manifold bolts and pull it over to the side and you can reach down and disconnect the ECU connectors and the whole intake manifold with the ECU comes out. Done!
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 12:58 PM   #40
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Go DevOps!
I remember dzenno from the n54 days, super smart guy. I'm looking forward to what will be delivered in sprint 1 to production
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 05:29 PM   #41
sonicsonic
Private First Class
Russia
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive 6MT 370whp

I am really waiting to test it and give a full report
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 05:52 AM   #42
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Quote:

But why would you care about those extra 19HP when you can get maybe more with any other protune using this box (bootmod3 flash tune platform), just asking?
I'm also interesting in making the ZCP flash. And the reasons are that the ZCP car other DSC coding which should be better on the track. And I need my car to be 450hp with the DPs to take part in the time-attak competition. The gt3 class allow 450hp turbo hp with 1640 kg weight. So it is good to optimyze the car for the regulation шт this class.

And Also it is good to have different maps, like for DD, for Track day and for the drag. It would be nice to have this 3 types on the button - Comfort (DD), Sport (Track), Sport+ (Drag).
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 06:28 AM   #43
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkk View Post
I'm also interesting in making the ZCP flash. And the reasons are that the ZCP car other DSC coding which should be better on the track...
A bit off topic, ... The most recent BMW software update 58.x introduce improvements to DSC amongst other ECUs to both car variants, read this thread and this thread (post 32 for DSC coding differences)

In order to flash the updates, you either ask the dealer/3rd party to do it, or your do it with the same software we code our cars with. I think maybe there is confusion between flashing BMW OEM software (updates many ECUs) and flashing 3rd party tunes/maps (mostly DME I think).

If a third party company says they offer a ZCP flash, including a HP increase, I'd bet that it is a custom tune for the HP increase, and not using BMWs tune as the latter uses a license key (FSC Enabling code) that is installed into ZCP cars to enable the ZCP software improvements. Whether some company claims they have hacked, cracked, defeated those checks is yet to be validated!

Note 14 in the first post, mentions it will be possible to flash back stock performance map (DME) but no mention of the capability to flash any other ECU (DSC, ICM, EGS, GHAS, ...) which is usually done with Esys (or ISTA/P by dealer).

Last edited by aboulfad; 05-18-2016 at 06:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #44
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
A bit off topic, ... The most recent BMW software update 58.x introduce improvements to DSC amongst other ECUs to both car variants, read this thread and this thread (post 32 for DSC coding differences)

In order to flash the updates, you either ask the dealer/3rd party to do it, or your do it with the same software we code our cars with. I think maybe there is confusion between flashing BMW OEM software (updates many ECUs) and flashing 3rd party tunes/maps (mostly DME I think).

If a third party company says they offer a ZCP flash, including a HP increase, I'd bet that it is a custom tune for the HP increase, and not using BMWs tune as the latter uses a license key (FSC Enabling code) that is installed into ZCP cars to enable the ZCP software improvements. Whether some company claims they have hacked, cracked, defeated those checks is yet to be validated!

Note 14 in the first post, mentions it will be possible to flash back stock performance map (DME) but no mention of the capability to flash any other ECU (DSC, ICM, EGS, GHAS, ...) which is usually done with Esys (or ISTA/P by dealer).
All great points and questions. While not our priority at this point especially the initial release, I don't see why we wouldn't be able to add support for reprogramming any module in the car. DME is just the most fun one for us at this point followed with a very close 2nd place by the TCU
Appreciate 0