Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-23-2024, 09:41 AM   #1
xeon48
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

F82 discs and pads under warranty? Pre-owned BWM approved used warranty.

I got my 4 year old F82 at the end of January this year.

I live central, so I tend not to drive it on motorways/highways, 99% of time time I drive around town in it. I do not push it hard. Recently, I went on a trip with a couple buddies, we had to drive to the airport about 100 miles away. I brought the F82. This was the first time I'd brought the car over a decent distance and had it at high speed since getting it.

The start of the trip was fine, brakes working perfectly. Smooth.

By the end of the trip the entire car is shaking and a sharp juddering is coming from the brake pedal every time I touch the brakes, particularly under reasonably forceful braking.

When I got back, I called BMW. They took the car in and I've just received a call back from them.

They are insisting all four discs and pad sets need replaced at a cost of £2600. I can't remember the term the tech used, but the upper limit was 0.4 (can't even remember the unit) and the current was 2.2. I asked if what he was talking about was the disc being warped, and he said no, though it is similar? As a good will gesture, since I've just bought the car, they will only charge me £500. It is currently covered by the BMW Approved Used Warranty.

I can't help but feel like I'm being slightly ripped off here, does anyone have any similar experience? I am aware discs and pads are wearable items, but am a little angry the car was sold to me in this state and now I'm footing any of the repair costs. The discs and pads were obviously just about to give but not one mention of that to me during the sales process.

I'd like to reiterate, I really don't drive this car hard. I've never tracked it, barely bring it above 50, and I most certainly do not brake heavily. I'm still very much becoming acquainted with the performance of this car, frankly it scares me a bit, so I've been exceptionally careful with the accelerator.

Any heads up/tips/information on how I should approach this with the dealer, or whether you think this is actually a good deal, please let me know.

Last edited by xeon48; 04-23-2024 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 11:57 AM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
In America, the discs are like ~300 each. That’s 1200 just in rotors. The pads are relatively inexpensive for OEM. So yes, a whole brake setup for 500 is cheap. I think my Akebono pads were like 300 together. Just for pads not including labor for install.

Usually a used car warranty doesn’t cover wear and tear items. Even on a new BMW it doesn’t cover rotors and pads anymore unless you pay like an extra 1000 to upgrade it so consider yourself lucky to even get a goodwill out of them. They could have told you to pound sand since it’s been like 4 months you took the car off their hands.

I’m guessing you didn’t get a PPI since they didn’t catch worn pads/rotors lol or they did a poor PPI.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 04:17 AM   #3
Jangridworks
Registered
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Most dealers here only offer a 1 month safety warranty. Its a used car not going to be perfect, 500 is very fair.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 07:16 AM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

That’s why spending a few $100s on an independent PPI is well worth it because you have a better idea of when the car will need wearable items replaced. It’s a used car and as long as it passes the state’s inspection requirements then it can be sold. The 0.4 is probably pad material left in mm so 2.2 mm with a min of 0.4 mm means your brake pads have some life left (new pads are around 16-18 mm). You should be happy they charged you only £500 on a used car which was bought in as-is condition.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 08:41 PM   #5
xeon48
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

Ok thanks for the feedback folks. I'll suck it up, pay with a smile and enjoy my new brakes.
Appreciate 1
SCCThree817.50