proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

10-08-2016, 08:48 AM   #111
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
You could try disconnecting the edc cables next time at the track which essentially puts it in sport+ anyway. Will be interested to see what the dealer does. Like I mentioned before, they replaced both front struts and sensors on my car but I suspect they were just throwing parts at it and there was never actually anything ever "broken"?

No error codes on my M4 in quite some time. Haven't been tracking it since I'm busy racing the E36. Stock wheels and PSS back on too, which I wonder if makes a difference?
BTW I was on stock wheels and tires when it happened, and it was in the rain.

To complete the story, I jiggled the connectors and went back on track with all the nannies off, suspension in Sport+, and it never came back. The last session I put on the track wheels and didn't have any issues. Go figure.

Took it to the dealer and they confirmed the chassis malfunction codes - duh - and further said there is a bulletin out there. Said that if it only happens a couple of times they won't do anything about it, but if it happens again they will replace sensors and/or shocks.

In a non related happy story, they are replacing my creaking door seals with an updated version.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #112
iuhutch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18%E2%80%99 F80 ZCP

I too am now getting the chassis malfunction error. Any updates or findings by BMW on what is causing this issue. I am on 20" Vorsteiners: 265/35/20F + 295/30/20R. Code never showed until I did the ZCP EDC coding. May have him remove it back to stock EDC code to see if that solves the issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 08:27 PM   #113
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Not that I've heard. I still don't think they know exactly what's causing it, but I suspect it's the EDC sensors that are faulty or at least throwing faults in error. Even though they replaced both my front sensors and struts I don't think there was really ever anything mechanically wrong with my car. Luckily I haven't had a fault in awhile, although I haven't been driving it much.

I don't think aftermarket wheels or driving habits are the culprit. People have had faults on stock wheels and while on/off track.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 11:27 PM   #114
Flbmwm3
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuhutch View Post
I too am now getting the chassis malfunction error. Any updates or findings by BMW on what is causing this issue. I am on 20" Vorsteiners: 265/35/20F + 295/30/20R. Code never showed until I did the ZCP EDC coding. May have him remove it back to stock EDC code to see if that solves the issue?
Funny I got the same zcp edc coding and within 2 miles and flicking different suspension modes, I got the same issue on a stock car.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #115
iuhutch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18%E2%80%99 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flbmwm3 View Post
Funny I got the same zcp edc coding and within 2 miles and flicking different suspension modes, I got the same issue on a stock car.
Who did your coding? I contacted Alex@alpine and he promises that it is not from EDC coding.

I'm dropping the car off for service tonight - my tech is going to see if there are any saved codes from this mishap.

For me, it almost always happens within the first 10 miles of a trip in the morning - during the first miles of a day coming off a full cold start. Once the car is warm and if it doesnt trip this error in the first 20 minutes or so of driving, then it doesn't appear for that day - if that makes sense?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 12:17 AM   #116
Flbmwm3
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Alex at alpine did mine do. Happened 3 different days all within cold starts now almost right away. THe car is new to me but only happened after edc competition coding last week. Alex told me the same thing so I'm driving it more to see if I can get a pattern.

Last edited by Flbmwm3; 11-08-2016 at 12:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #117
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Seems like the vertical acceleration sensor is the most likely cause? Getting this error and it won't clear...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 01:46 AM   #118
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Had this happen to me once at Laguna Seca. Code went away after I restarted the car. Was pushing the brakes pretty hard to the point where when I came to the paddock they were billowing smoke. Had to wander around the paddock for a while for them to cool. Wonder if the extreme heat had something to do with it. Problem never came back after a few more sessions.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 04:14 PM   #119
EvoFire
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: None

Is there confirmation that this is only happening on cars with EDC? Also are there any ZCP/CP cars that are having this issue?

Also any chance that the guys still seeing the issue post up build dates?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 05:50 PM   #120
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 1969 Mustang Fastback

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Is there confirmation that this is only happening on cars with EDC? Also are there any ZCP/CP cars that are having this issue?

I have a 2016 ZCP with KW clubsports and this happened to me 5 times in the year I've had my car so far.Two of the times were on the track (traction fully off) and the other three during regular driving (two of these three were with traction fully off.) One of the times it happened while cruising on the freeway and I almost got rear ended due to the diff locking up.

I've been contemplating going back to stock and seeing what the dealer has to say, but there is no way I can duplicate it on the spot for them.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 08:17 PM   #121
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:

Only happened once to me, but 2017 ZCP. Sept 20 2016 build date.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 04:14 PM   #122
EvoFire
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmelgy View Post
I have a 2016 ZCP with KW clubsports and this happened to me 5 times in the year I've had my car so far.Two of the times were on the track (traction fully off) and the other three during regular driving (two of these three were with traction fully off.) One of the times it happened while cruising on the freeway and I almost got rear ended due to the diff locking up.

I've been contemplating going back to stock and seeing what the dealer has to say, but there is no way I can duplicate it on the spot for them.
What happens when you install aftermarket non EDC suspension on the car? Does it just disable the buttons or does it drive all the M modes haywire?

@MaynardZed suggested that you can disable the EDC to circumvent the chassis malfunction issue, but it also disabled the drive mode selections.

Mind you I DON'T have a F80, but I'm doing my research to see what options I want to order the car with for 2018, and ZCP/CP is a big question mark for me right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #123
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 1969 Mustang Fastback

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmelgy View Post

What happens when you install aftermarket non EDC suspension on the car? Does it just disable the buttons or does it drive all the M modes haywire?

@MaynardZed suggested that you can disable the EDC to circumvent the chassis malfunction issue, but it also disabled the drive mode selections.

Mind you I DON'T have a F80, but I'm doing my research to see what options I want to order the car with for 2018, and ZCP/CP is a big question mark for me right now.
My suspension came with the edc modules, which prevent the car from throwing codes. This can be achieved by coding as well.

Getting coilovers on this car removed edc functionality, so you no longer retain the ability to change through comfort-sport-sport plus
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #124
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Update: Dealer replaced....(surprise)...the vertical acceleration sensor. It appears this component sits on the strut, is it the heat from heavy braking that cooks them?

2015 build M4
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #125
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Disconnecting cables is only for track events so that you don't get the error in the middle of a session and have to pull off. Yes, it will disable M button functions, but you can set steering and turn DSC off manually (by holding TC down for 5 seconds). Suspension setting cannot be adjusted obviously but defaults to stiffest setting since sensors aren't working. Not sure about DCT settings since I have 6MT, but at least with my car you can enjoy a track day without interference.

If it happens for street driving, most of the time it will reset if you stop and cycle car off/on. Yes it's still happened to me again recently on the street, but cleared itself. Not sure if heat would be culprit since it's happening to normal street driven cars when they're not even hot yet.

One thing is clear, BMW doesn't exactly know the cause of the problem. Luckily for them it hasn't been so widespread to start a recall. Not to mention they wouldn't know how to fix it permanently anyway.

Love my M4, but I would only order a passive suspension if I get another one. Is that even possible anymore?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #126
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Disconnecting cables is only for track events so that you don't get the error in the middle of a session and have to pull off. Yes, it will disable M button functions, but you can set steering and turn DSC off manually (by holding TC down for 5 seconds). Suspension setting cannot be adjusted obviously but defaults to stiffest setting since sensors aren't working. Not sure about DCT settings since I have 6MT, but at least with my car you can enjoy a track day without interference.

If it happens for street driving, most of the time it will reset if you stop and cycle car off/on. Yes it's still happened to me again recently on the street, but cleared itself. Not sure if heat would be culprit since it's happening to normal street driven cars when they're not even hot yet.

One thing is clear, BMW doesn't exactly know the cause of the problem. Luckily for them it hasn't been so widespread to start a recall. Not to mention they wouldn't know how to fix it permanently anyway.

Love my M4, but I would only order a passive suspension if I get another one. Is that even possible anymore?
I'm thinking ZCP, then either Ohlins or Tractive suspension swap.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
MaynardZed1231.00
      07-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #127
Emcee
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M3

Quote:

Yeah, you can order the "standard suspension" on the website.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 11:09 PM   #128
ozinger
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 Sedan

I had this happen to me twice in 2015 F80 M3 with EDC and 6MT. It happened 3 times so far. "Chassis Stabilization" and also at the same time "Restraint System".
08 335i (E92) | Montego Blue/Saddle Brown/Brushed Aluminium - ED 06.18.08
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 11:24 PM   #129
Throttleblip
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 ZCP 2016

Got this malfunction while driving fast a while back a few times and it always went to limp mode. It would go away when I turned the car off and then turned it back on again. All the dealer did was add more coolant to the radiator and problem was solved. Not sure if it is the same problem your having
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #130
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttleblip View Post
Got this malfunction while driving fast a while back a few times and it always went to limp mode. It would go away when I turned the car off and then turned it back on again. All the dealer did was add more coolant to the radiator and problem was solved. Not sure if it is the same problem your having
Not the same error code, sorry. That looks like something with the DriveTrain, and not suspension related.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #131
///Mongo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Got it today twice going into Carousel at Shenandoah. Trying one more session just for kicks, but it's going to bmw Monday morning.
Any update on this?

I got the malfunction 2/4 sessions today after exiting the karussel

Everything seemed fine after I turned the car off and let it sit for a few minutes
Appreciate 1
nardoM466.00
      04-11-2018, 08:25 PM   #132
03evoIII
Scot - 2015 M3 SO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Sakhir Orange BMW M3

Quote:

Sorry to be Digging this back up.

I'm pretty sure my EDC is disabled (no EDC settings available in idrive or M buttons, and I have EDC button) and I am still getting the Chassis Stabilization malfunction errors. This happened about two weeks ago and the dealer cleared it by re-calibrating the steering angle sensor. This happened again today while driving on CO's crappy roads. My M buttons/settings still work though which I have heard some owners that say their M buttons do not when this occurs.

I am having Alex code my car tomorrow to re-enable the EDC. Should I go ahead with the Comp Package EDC? Or stay stock EDC? Thanks!

Scot