BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #265
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
^not surprising. Most people dont know how to drive a manual and others just dont want to sadly. This is why fewer new cars are coming with manual transmissions.
It's just the evolution of the modern automobile. DCT/PDK/DSGs have been so good on performance cars, that manuals are just upon as relics now. I remember when Ferrari went all dual clutch, huge uproar, but you can't negate all the performance benefits.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 03:03 PM   #266
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline408 View Post
It's just the evolution of the modern automobile. DCT/PDK/DSGs have been so good on performance cars, that manuals are just upon as relics now. I remember when Ferrari went all dual clutch, huge uproar, but you can't negate all the performance benefits.
No doubt modern automatics have gotten so good it has stolen away all of the performance benefits that manuals used to have. Wasnt that long ago where the manual version of a car would almost always out perform the automatic version. Now this has flipped.

I cant help but think an equal part if it is the social media/constant connection society which has developed over the last decade. More important to text, check instagram, scroll through music library, etc which requires two hands so easier to get an automatic.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #267
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

Quote:
No doubt modern automatics have gotten so good it has stolen away all of the performance benefits that manuals used to have. Wasnt that long ago where the manual version of a car would almost always out perform the automatic version. Now this has flipped.

I cant help but think an equal part if it is the social media/constant connection society which has developed over the last decade. More important to text, check instagram, scroll through music library, etc which requires two hands so easier to get an automatic.
This shift happened before all the social media stuff came to be the norm. It's just evolution. Kinda like traction control.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 07:59 PM   #268
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:

Really you want to access social media when driving a car...thats ridiculous reason not to buy a MT
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #269
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Hard to say, really depends on what options your car has.

I will tell you one thing, DCT definitely commands a higher price than 6MT. When I was shopping the DCT cars were always the first to sell as well.
The sticker was 70K has executive , adaptive, monroof, not count the goodies I put on the car
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #270
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Quote:

Really you want to access social media when driving a car...thats ridiculous reason not to buy a MT
I don't. Was just a theory of why there may be an increasingly lower manual take rate, particularly with new drivers.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #271
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

Quote:
Hard to say, really depends on what options your car has.

I will tell you one thing, DCT definitely commands a higher price than 6MT. When I was shopping the DCT cars were always the first to sell as well.
I think this is true for the lower miles, lesser used, higher priced vehicles.

As they get used more, and more miles, and become worth less, the people in the lower price range that want a car for driving and possibly even track racing will start to enter the market. This population of people will prefer the 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 12:27 PM   #272
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
DCT will probably fetch a higher price for a straight trade in to CarMax or similar, as they know that most people can't drive MTs anymore (and many who can don't want to). However, if one is willing to sell privately and wait for the right buyer, someone who WANTS an MT will pay more for the car, as they are comparatively rare. And if the next gen M3 is not offered with a MT (hopefully this is not the case!), this effect will be magnified.

I always enjoy the seemingly endless lease vs. buy discussions (including sub-discussions on cash vs. finance, etc.). Everyone's situation, personal disposition, finances, etc., are so varied that the "best" option is going to be different for everyone. The only sad thing would be if anyone choses any option without a clear understanding of all the costs involved, short and long term, in the context of how many years it is planned to keep the car (and yes, that includes cash and what alternative investment opportunities there are).
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 1