European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-04-2024, 11:20 AM   #1
Jims M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M, F80 M3, C7 Z51

Stoptech no longer making friction rings for their ST-60 kit

I have an ST-60 front kit on my F80 M3 and I need new friction rings, after doing some checking it seems nobody supports this anymore. So there are no replacement rings and no more are being built.

It is due to the wide annulus rotor, but nobody is making wide annulus brake pads for the kit anyway. Is there another ring and hat that works with this kit?

I hat ST-60 on my E92 I am wondering if those would work?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 12:12 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims M3 View Post
I have an ST-60 front kit on my F80 M3 and I need new friction rings, after doing some checking it seems nobody supports this anymore. So there are no replacement rings and no more are being built.

It is due to the wide annulus rotor, but nobody is making wide annulus brake pads for the kit anyway. Is there another ring and hat that works with this kit?

I hat ST-60 on my E92 I am wondering if those would work?
Are the ST-60 rotor OD & ID and thickness the same between the f8x and e9x kits? If they are then they should fit. I know ST offers standard annulus rotors and wide annulus rotors. The aluminum mounting hats aren’t interchangeable between the different annulus rotors.

Have you checked Girodisc and Paragon? They offer ST 380 mm and 355 mm OD rotors. I believe Coleman will manufacture replacement rotors if you send them a set of your old rotors. They offered this service in the past.

Girodisc
https://girodisc.com/380x32mm-replacement-rotor-rings/

Paragon
https://paragonbrakes.com/replacemen...h-replacement/
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 12:50 PM   #3
Jims M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

yeah I was pointed to Coleman for help, I can just imagine how expensive that proposition is. I was hoping the E92 might work if the wide annulus is the only difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 01:14 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
yeah I was pointed to Coleman for help, I can just imagine how expensive that proposition is. I was hoping the E92 might work if the wide annulus is the only difference.
Paragon and Girodisc rotors don’t work? No wide annulus options? I’ve never used Coleman but I’ve heard it’s not as bad as you imagine it to be. It costs nothing to ask.

Is ST no longer supporting the f8x ST60 kit only or all ST60 kits? I’m not familiar with the f8x kit but does it use the wide annulus rotor? With ST no longer supporting the ST60 then I’d be surprised if someone didn’t manufacture replacement rotors. If it’s ST is not producing wide annulus rotors, another option would be to have a machine shop machine a set of f8x mounting hats based on dimensions from your wide annulus hats and adjusted to interface with the larger ID of the standard annulus rotor.

I doubt the f8x and e92 M hats are interchangeable because the rotor offset, and therefore the caliper rotor centerline placement, from the wheel mounting face on the hat will be different on the f82 and e92 M.

Edit: another option would be to have a machine shop make new caliper mounting brackets to relocate the f8x caliper to the e9x M location. This would allow you to directly mount e9x M ST front rotors on the f8x. However, this may require multiple iterations which would get costly.

Last edited by M3SQRD; 03-04-2024 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 10:06 AM   #5
Jims M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I got the specs for the wide annulus rotor from Dave over at Zeckhausen, and am having Coleman make me new rotors, they are actually cheaper than the Stoptech replacements.

Dave said that Stoptech is out of business and don't support any of their platforms anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 10:22 AM   #6
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I got the specs for the wide annulus rotor from Dave over at Zeckhausen, and am having Coleman make me new rotors, they are actually cheaper than the Stoptech replacements.

Dave said that Stoptech is out of business and don't support any of their platforms anymore.
ST is out of business?!?!?! Wow. This is going to create a huge group of very pissed off people!!! I know people that bought new systems just a few months ago.

Glad you got the drawing from Dave. Awesome guy. Yeah, I’ve heard Coleman’s prices are outstanding considering it’s a one off rotor in some cases. Glad you can source replacement rotors!
Appreciate 0