ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

04-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #23
saleen556
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
Were they able to do it? Also didn't think to ask if you on most recent version of iOS software?
Still no luck. Running the latest update 9.2.1. Going to stop by dealer next week and have him play with it. I have Office and everything seems to be set up correctly. He thought it may be my phone as well. But I do have the notification setting correct in Bluetooth as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 02:27 PM   #24
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
Still no luck. Running the latest update 9.2.1. Going to stop by dealer next week and have him play with it. I have Office and everything seems to be set up correctly. He thought it may be my phone as well. But I do have the notification setting correct in Bluetooth as well.
I think 9.3.1 is the latest - that's what I have.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #25
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen556
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
Were they able to do it? Also didn't think to ask if you on most recent version of iOS software?
Bizarre. Sorry man. I can take pictures of my settings if you think it will help, but sounds like you tried everything in every possible configuration

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 05:11 PM   #26
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Just to confirm - on your iPhone, you've been to Settings, Bluetooth, blue (i) button to the right of your BMW XXXXX device, and selected Show Notifications?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #27
saleen556
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Just to confirm - on your iPhone, you've been to Settings, Bluetooth, blue (i) button to the right of your BMW XXXXX device, and selected Show Notifications?
Exactly. Tried everything I've read here and no luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #28
saleen556
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
I think 9.3.1 is the latest - that's what I have.
Miss typed. That's correct. Hopefully I can make it in on Monday to see if he can figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #29
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly. Tried everything I've read here and no luck.
Damn. Was worth a try. I know When I got a new phone mine didn't work for a while then magically did. And I still have problems with the iPhone 6 Media Adapter - some times it just won't connect. So I unplug and re-install the media adapter and reboot the phone - and it works. Go figure
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 07:20 PM   #30
salraf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, prior F80 M3, E60 M5

I picked up my car 2 weeks ago and was told by the CA that texts are not visible on idrive since I have an iphone. Something proprietary to apple. Is this true? I am not seeing any texts in office section.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 08:54 PM   #31
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by salraf
I picked up my car 2 weeks ago and was told by the CA that texts are not visible on idrive since I have an iphone. Something proprietary to apple. Is this true? I am not seeing any texts in office section.
Seems very finicky for iPhone. Mine works, but took a lot of finagling to get it to work, and in the end not sure what made it work...but has been through several iOS updates

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 01:06 AM   #32
Marth06
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by salraf View Post
Not true
I have an iPhone 6
I get SMS's while on the move........a little envelope shows up in the small grey info screen when it comes in. You can't read it on the move but can get it to playback on voice.
The phone doesn't play a sound when the SMS comes in as per OP, only vibrates.
My emails don't work though ( I have tried but given up....not too worried about it though)
I have not coded my car....it came with 6NS
My car is 2014 and hasn't had a software update.....
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #33
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

I had a brainwave on this. If you go in and disable the "music" connection in the iDrive bluetooth connection settings you should start to hear these notifications again.

When the iPhone is connected to the car via bluetooth and the "music" connection is selected in iDrive the phone assumes that ALL audio is to be output via bluetooth now. The car, on the other hand, will only output the audio if the bluetooth input is selected. So if you are not listening to music streaming from your phone then it will simply ignore any audio fed to it via bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:21 PM   #34
mj7801
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm
I had a brainwave on this. If you go in and disable the "music" connection in the iDrive bluetooth connection settings you should start to hear these notifications again.

When the iPhone is connected to the car via bluetooth and the "music" connection is selected in iDrive the phone assumes that ALL audio is to be output via bluetooth now. The car, on the other hand, will only output the audio if the bluetooth input is selected. So if you are not listening to music streaming from your phone then it will simply ignore any audio fed to it via bluetooth.
So you're saying you did this and verified it works with an iPhone? When you recieve text messages the notification plays through your speakers?
      05-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #35
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj7801 View Post
So you're saying you did this and verified it works with an iPhone? When you recieve text messages the notification plays through your speakers?
If I'm understanding correctly, all this would accomplish is allowing the phone to play the text notifications sound. The car wouldn't be playing anything since the audio connection has been disabled for "music".
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 07:54 AM   #36
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj7801 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedown31 View Post
If I'm understanding correctly, all this would accomplish is allowing the phone to play the text notifications sound. The car wouldn't be playing anything since the audio connection has been disabled for "music".
Correct, this would have the sound for texts come through the phones speaker.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 07:38 AM   #37
Marth06
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Correct, this would have the sound for texts come through the phones speaker.
Haha excellent...it works.
Its been annoying me why I couldn't hear my text sound...
I unticked 'audio' and it works

I use a separate iPod connected by a cable so I don't use my phone for music...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #38
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

I'm pretty sure you all are experiencing the following, which is NOT "no sound from iphone text dings" but rather:

When connected by bluetooth, the car seems to truncate the first 0.5 sec (or whatever) of most tones. Therefore, if your alert is a ding, or a single tone, you won't hear it. If it is something longer, you will hear the truncation. As an example, when Waze announces over bluetooth, it usually cuts the first word or fragment of word off, but plays the rest of the 'tone' successfully. When playing a continuous audio stream, ie- music, you would never notice this.

I think the bluetooth interface bites.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 12:20 PM   #39
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
I'm pretty sure you all are experiencing the following, which is NOT "no sound from iphone text dings" but rather:

When connected by bluetooth, the car seems to truncate the first 0.5 sec (or whatever) of most tones. Therefore, if your alert is a ding, or a single tone, you won't hear it. If it is something longer, you will hear the truncation. As an example, when Waze announces over bluetooth, it usually cuts the first word or fragment of word off, but plays the rest of the 'tone' successfully. When playing a continuous audio stream, ie- music, you would never notice this.

I think the bluetooth interface bites.
If you are actively streaming from your phone then you might see this behavior. If, instead, you are listening to another input (like the radio, Siruis, etc...) you will not hear anything at all since the car is not "listening" to the bluetooth input. BMW could definitely improve their system.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #40
TheElementalCashew
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118
Quote:
My iPhone is connected with all the notifications on and it still doesn't receive them through idrive. Any suggestions?
On your phone go to Settings-->Bluetooth....next to your BMW click on the info button to the right (blue i with circle around it) and make sure "Show notifications" is turned on...that little detail took me a while to figure out.

Also you will need office programmed into your car if it didn't come factory with it...can you see office in i-drive?
I coded 6NS into my F80 and have the Office option in iDrive. However, my iPhone 6S (with latest iOS) does not show a notification option under the Bluetooth connection. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 07:57 AM   #41
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElementalCashew View Post
I coded 6NS into my F80 and have the Office option in iDrive. However, my iPhone 6S (with latest iOS) does not show a notification option under the Bluetooth connection. Any ideas?
Have you tried un-pairing and re-pairing the phone to the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 07:58 AM   #42
TheElementalCashew
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElementalCashew View Post
Have you tried un-pairing and re-pairing the phone to the car?
Yeah, I've done that about three times. I'm getting a software update this weekend, so after that I'm going to try to re-code and see if maybe I messed something up before. Everything looked correct when I went back over it though.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #43
TheElementalCashew
Private First Class
Rep

Just a note for anyone who had the same issue as me, I was able to get text messages to work using these instructions from this thread: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1211905

Note: I had to use two iPhones, using an iPhone and a S6 did not produce the desired results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni8284 View Post
Reply to my email, I just got it to work.

here is my trick, dont know if it will work on yours.

I use my wife's iphone 6 plus, connect to iDrive with BT.

after connected, you should see 2 phone, 1 said paired, the other one said connected.

On this screen, click to option button. scroll to the bottom,

Then you should see this.

Attachment 1346046

after you click "Cofigure Bluetooth" (all the way to the bottom), you should see this.

Attachment 1346045

Office and telephone 2 was not checked, so just check those 2 boxes.

Go to the screen that had 2 phone, 1 said paired, the other one said connected.
Move the cursor to my phone (phone 1), click option button, configure device, see this as telephone 1, make sure you click save/accept.

Go to the screen that had 2 phone, 1 said paired, the other one said connected.
Move the cursor to my wife's phone (phone 2), click option button, configure device, see this as telephone 2, make sure you click save/accept.

Then you should work.

I see my phone as Telephone 1, and my wife's phone as telephone 2.

This is the only way I can get the office to show text message.

Good luck on yours.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #44
Gassy
Soporificist
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5- Rhodonite/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Same here. I think it has to do with the fact that the phone is connected to the car via bluetooth. The phone thinks the car will output the audio but the car is not "listening" to the bluetooth feed. I bet if you were listening to music streaming from the phone you would hear the alerts.
I can affirm this as true. Incoming text tone from phone plays when media is selected from phone as the audio source, but not when radio is. Annoying..
Appreciate 0