Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

04-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #45
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

I have a question about battery backup. Cellink B claimed to support dual CH cameras for 15hr. Ok, that's great.

But it also says "it takes about an hour" to completely charge.

1. For those who uses this setup, how much do you drive? My commute is <10 miles, so it's 30 minutes per day. From what I see - Cellink will die day 1 and will never be able to fully recharge, do I understand correctly?

I do drive around and some days I do drive for 1hr+, but most days I'm not.

2. Is it easy to completely turn off cameras? Or better yet, maybe there is programming mode? I know if car parked after 10pm - it's parked at home. Or maybe by GPS it will know I'm at home and no need to record?

3. More thoughts on Cellink. According to info I found it's about 6Ah battery, which is less than 10% of our F8X battery. Probably doesn't even make sense to install one. I am probably going to go without and see how much voltage drop I get at the end of day.. Yes, F8X battery expensive ($1k), but Cellink B is not cheap either. And replacing one is in future, because if it's going to discharge almost completely it won't live years..

Last edited by katit; 04-19-2017 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 01:24 AM   #46
yocubed
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G83 M4

Garage List
2022 G83 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by katit View Post
I have a question about battery backup. Cellink B claimed to support dual CH cameras for 15hr. Ok, that's great.

But it also says "it takes about an hour" to completely charge.

1. For those who uses this setup, how much do you drive? My commute is <10 miles, so it's 30 minutes per day. From what I see - Cellink will die day 1 and will never be able to fully recharge, do I understand correctly?

I do drive around and some days I do drive for 1hr+, but most days I'm not.

2. Is it easy to completely turn off cameras? Or better yet, maybe there is programming mode? I know if car parked after 10pm - it's parked at home. Or maybe by GPS it will know I'm at home and no need to record?

3. More thoughts on Cellink. According to info I found it's about 6Ah battery, which is less than 10% of our F8X battery. Probably doesn't even make sense to install one. I am probably going to go without and see how much voltage drop I get at the end of day.. Yes, F8X battery expensive ($1k), but Cellink B is not cheap either. And replacing one is in future, because if it's going to discharge almost completely it won't live years..
I know my celllink will power my cameras (F770 2ch) for the duration of my work shifts 10 hrs when fully charged.

I used to have an hour commute and thus wouldn't worry about the celllink charging but now that I've moved to about a 15 min commute I do realize that it won't have a chance to recharge after the first long parked cycle.

With my cameras and I would imagine others I can turn the dash cams off by holding the power button on the camera when I know i'm parked somewhere that I don't have to worry (work/home) and not be concerned about battery drain.

I have an AC-DC inverter that I use to charge the celllink if it begins to get low. I like my setup because even though the cellink is a decent cost it preserves the car battery.

Hope this helps

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #47
schrdngrsct
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Same boat... I only drive at most 20-30 min bursts so the cell-link wasn't really an option.

Btw, anyone run into any long-term issues with using the multisafer/cell-link B? I just took my f80 into the dealer for maintenance and they informed me that I voided my battery warranty, etc. and my car could die within the next few months... I've had the "increased battery discharge" warning come up a few times when parked for over a long weekend, but it seems to start up just fine.

(Im on the multisafer set for 12.2v cutoff, the cell-link B wasn't an option for the little amount of driving I do.)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #48
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrdngrsct View Post
Same boat... I only drive at most 20-30 min bursts so the cell-link wasn't really an option.

Btw, anyone run into any long-term issues with using the multisafer/cell-link B? I just took my f80 into the dealer for maintenance and they informed me that I voided my battery warranty, etc. and my car could die within the next few months... I've had the "increased battery discharge" warning come up a few times when parked for over a long weekend, but it seems to start up just fine.

(Im on the multisafer set for 12.2v cutoff, the cell-link B wasn't an option for the little amount of driving I do.)
BlackBoxMyCar has already recommended Cellink B for the F80/F82/F83 because of that reason.

Just because you drive in short bursts (a lot of people do) the Cellink B still charges enough to keep your camera going. That is the whole idea. With the external battery, your dash cam pulls the energy from your external battery (cellink b) and not directly your car's own battery.

It says Cellink B charges fully in 1 hour, it doesn't mean it has barely any charge if you drive in short bursts. That makes it silly and well stupid really to be forced to drive very long to keep your battery going. You sort of have to read in between the lines.
      06-19-2017, 04:57 AM   #49
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [8.33]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
I have one in all of my cars. Better safe then relying on some cop that you were right. Easy install, low cost, piece of mind in case of an accident

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 08:25 PM   #50
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

I just went down a rabbit hole on dash-cam-talk forums and couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for.

Does anyone know (roughly) the battery usage implications of "event" vs. "park" mode on blackvues and such?

I'm thinking "event" is only triggered by an impact so it shouldn't be recording constantly the way that "park" records almost constantly (apparently the motion triggers are super sensitive) but I may be totally wrong and perhaps it does still record constantly and only flags the video during an event. I go a full week without driving sometimes and I'm wondering how many hours of battery usage I'll get from the Cell-Link B if I just keep the cam in events mode. I only really care about using it for any hit-and-runs in my parking garage so no need to capture every little motion.
      06-28-2017, 09:48 PM   #51
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsChrisM View Post
I just went down a rabbit hole on dash-cam-talk forums and couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for.

Does anyone know (roughly) the battery usage implications of "event" vs. "park" mode on blackvues and such?

I'm thinking "event" is only triggered by an impact so it shouldn't be recording constantly the way that "park" records almost constantly (apparently the motion triggers are super sensitive) but I may be totally wrong and perhaps it does still record constantly and only flags the video during an event. I go a full week without driving sometimes and I'm wondering how many hours of battery usage I'll get from the Cell-Link B if I just keep the cam in events mode. I only really care about using it for any hit-and-runs in my parking garage so no need to capture every little motion.
From what I can remember, BlackVue is constantly recording regardless. When "impact" happens it saves it. When it runs out of room it will override the oldest video file etc.

I have a friend who has Cellink B and from what I can remember Cellink B does run out if you don't drive for a week which means BlackVue will turn off. At least that is what I think happens. I could be wrong.

martial
Flacht31136.50
      06-29-2017, 01:32 AM   #52
martial
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 BSM M3

Correct, If I leave my car off/parked for more than 15 hours (+/- a few hours) the cellink B battery will die and my blackvue (2ch) will stop recording. I believe you can daisy chain 2 cellink B batteries to get around 24 hour recording capabilities for a 2ch set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
From what I can remember, BlackVue is constantly recording regardless. When "impact" happens it saves it. When it runs out of room it will override the oldest video file etc.

I have a friend who has Cellink B and from what I can remember Cellink B does run out if you don't drive for a week which means BlackVue will turn off. At least that is what I think happens. I could be wrong.

martial
Appreciate 1
Flacht31136.50
      06-29-2017, 10:18 PM   #53
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Anyone have a recommendation with an OBD2 adapter that will allow for an overlay with car speed rpm etc?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #54
ptper
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 Avus Blue F80

Looks like the blackvue-dr750s-2ch comes out next month:

"The much awaited flagship dash cam from Blackvue available in 1 channel and 2 channel versions. Offering significantly improved video quality with upgraded hardware and specs such as 1080P rear video and 60 FPS front video. The ultimate choice for cloud alerts, live streaming, and remote backup of footage. "

Is it worth the wait?

Assume most people are pairing it with Cellink Battery B 2nd Generation to avoid going against the car battery. Not sure I want to mess with hardwiring it myself. Anybody take it to shop? How long/much do you think they will charge?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #55
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptper View Post
Looks like the blackvue-dr750s-2ch comes out next month:

"The much awaited flagship dash cam from Blackvue available in 1 channel and 2 channel versions. Offering significantly improved video quality with upgraded hardware and specs such as 1080P rear video and 60 FPS front video. The ultimate choice for cloud alerts, live streaming, and remote backup of footage. "

Is it worth the wait?

Assume most people are pairing it with Cellink Battery B 2nd Generation to avoid going against the car battery. Not sure I want to mess with hardwiring it myself. Anybody take it to shop? How long/much do you think they will charge?
It would be.

750s apparently fixes the 650s's issue with heat. If you didn't tint your front windows, the 650s in this 100 degree heat would have some issues. If the 750s does indeed fix/improve on this problem it would be a wonderful help for those of you who doesn't tint your front windows.

Since I haven't gotten mine yet I'm gonna get the 750s when my M3 is approved.
ptper589.00
      09-04-2017, 03:32 PM   #56
ptper
Major
Rep

Quote:
It would be.

750s apparently fixes the 650s's issue with heat. If you didn't tint your front windows, the 650s in this 100 degree heat would have some issues. If the 750s does indeed fix/improve on this problem it would be a wonderful help for those of you who doesn't tint your front windows.

Do you think the CPL filter accessory is worth it?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 01:30 AM   #57
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptper View Post
Do you think the CPL filter accessory is worth it?
For the 650s?

I don't think so. The last time I remember seeing it in action w/ my friend. It was at night and I saw it pretty clearly through the camera. Although there were lighting around so.

I think the 750s won't either, considering what BlackVue is saying about the camera but until it is actually released we won't know for sure.
ptper589.00
      09-05-2017, 03:10 AM   #58
axz17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW F82

Quote:
It would be.

Do you happen to know what the DR750S is supposed to 'fix' in terms of the heat issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 03:57 AM   #59
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by axz17 View Post
Do you happen to know what the DR750S is supposed to 'fix' in terms of the heat issue?
Only what BlackVue has said thus far. It is able to withstand 10+ degrees in temperature and probably some other improvements.

I tint my front windows regardless, generally light so I'm not really worried.
      09-05-2017, 04:01 PM   #60
ptper
Major
Rep

FYI, looks like the DR750S will be shipping in the mid-September time frame.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 05:10 PM   #61
itsmeeeugene
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 MW M4 ZCP

my 750S 2ch is arriving this thursday (from blackboxmycar). i have the celllink B 2nd gen and the blendmount to install with it. ill have a separate thread once i get it installed and my overall impressions of it.
Appreciate 2
      09-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #62
nikosaur
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
For those of you that want to keep it simple and cheap, mini 0805 is the way to go. $50 excellent quality and small form factor.

Ditto. I run 2 of these on mine.
Appreciate 0