BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-25-2024, 06:41 PM   #1
jonf49
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4 Competition

GTS tune and Dinan tune

So a fellow Fx owner and myself are going to tune. I have read that a stage 0 tune yields 40hp/tq gains on a stock car.. we have zcp’s.. so we’re looking at 493 at the crank, yes?

The other option is dinan. What do they offer in the way of performance gains, and how is their warranty utilized? I was told by bmw of sf that they no longer warranty dinan cars.

Any info is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 10:02 PM   #2
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Check it out at the Dinan website. Info you need is in the support section.

Dinancars.com
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 12:45 PM   #3
taz2ko0
Aw sh!t
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I would just go with BM3. I had Dinan Stage 2 and my Stage 1 BM3 is way better.
Schemxr72.50
      03-28-2024, 11:40 PM   #4
jonf49
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz2ko0 View Post
Aren’t you worried about no warranty?

Did you do the crank hub?

As a side… why does the GTS tune or Stage 0 rely on a water cooling system. It seems like so many people tune various stages and don’t install the water cooling setup… is it harder on the cars engine without it?
Appreciate 1
bay_m40.00
      03-29-2024, 12:49 AM   #5
bay_m4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 ZCP (SS II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonf49 View Post

As a side… why does the GTS tune or Stage 0 rely on a water cooling system. It seems like so many people tune various stages and don’t install the water cooling setup… is it harder on the cars engine without it?
👀
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 10:00 AM   #6
taz2ko0
Aw sh!t
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay_m4 View Post
👀
I have 79k miles on it so out of warranty. I had the Dinan until 45k miles when my warranty expired on my 2016 M4. Switched to BM3 stage 1 and GTS tranny tune with no issues. I had an after market warranty till now. Just flash back to stock when I had warranty work (Valve Cover - PCV, Turbo Coolant Lines, TMIC, Tie Rods, Diff Leak, Horn, and Oil Pan Leak). Thank god for extended warranty. I don't track the car just spirited driving. Coworker has an M4 with stage 2 downpipes, midpipe, mpe exhaust, intake, TMIC, with NO CRANKHUB. He has never had an issue. I know it is a topic. As for me my car has intake, chargepipes, midpipe and tune. Been driving strong with no issues for 40k miles
      03-29-2024, 06:34 PM   #7
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:

Dinan’s warranty is not remotely equivalent to the BMW new car warranty. You better read the policy in detail to understand exactly what is/isn’t covered.

I’ve been tracking my f82 since 2016. Starting in 2019, I’ve been running a gts-level tune on track and a stage 1 tune on the street. Not once have I even thought about the CH while on track.

You do not have to run a water-injection system with an aftermarket gts-level tune. BMW added water-injection in the gts to increase thermal efficiency at high rpm and boost levels by lowering IAT as the water evaporates. Aftermarket gts tunes are not identical to the oem gts engine tuning. It’s referred to gts because it makes roughly the same power/torque as the gts. Same thing applies to cs tunes - aftermarket cs tunes are not the same as oem cs engine tuning.

Also, you don’t add peak hp/torque from a tune to your comp crank hp/torque. Engine turners are developing a stage 1 tune by extracting more power/torque from the s55 by optimizing/maximizing various engine parameters. A tuner starting with a base s55 or a comp s55 or even a M2comp s55, would end up developing stage 1 tunes for the three versions of the s55 that’ll be very similar, even potentially identical, to one another IF the tuner properly maximized the various engine parameters. Basically, same engine with same hardware + maximized engine tuning parameters = same tuned hp/torque output, regardless of the different initial oem engine tuning.
Appreciate 2
Sephrr287.00
jonf49132.50
      03-30-2024, 12:31 AM   #8
jonf49
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz2ko0 View Post
Seems like you needed quite a bit of warranty work. Think the majority of that was from the tuning?

I bet BM3 stage 1 is fun. Think stage 0 may be enough for what I’m looking for. But then there’s always wanting more.. haha
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 12:35 AM   #9
jonf49
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Dinan’s warranty is not remotely equivalent to the BMW new car warranty. You better read the policy in detail to understand exactly what is/isn’t covered.

I’ve been tracking my f82 since 2016. Starting in 2019, I’ve been running a gts-level tune on track and a stage 1 tune on the street. Not once have I even thought about the CH while on track.

You do not have to run a water-injection system with an aftermarket gts-level tune. BMW added water-injection in the gts to increase thermal efficiency at high rpm and boost levels by lowering IAT as the water evaporates. Aftermarket gts tunes are not identical to the oem gts engine tuning. It’s referred to gts because it makes roughly the same power/torque as the gts. Same thing applies to cs tunes - aftermarket cs tunes are not the same as oem cs engine tuning.

Also, you don’t add peak hp/torque from a tune to your comp crank hp/torque. Engine turners are developing a stage 1 tune by extracting more power/torque from the s55 by optimizing/maximizing various engine parameters. A tuner starting with a base s55 or a comp s55 or even a M2comp s55, would end up developing stage 1 tunes for the three versions of the s55 that’ll be very similar, even potentially identical, to one another IF the tuner properly maximized the various engine parameters. Basically, same engine with same hardware + maximized engine tuning parameters = same tuned hp/torque output, regardless of the different initial oem engine tuning.
How would you describe the difference between the stage 0 and stage 1 BM3 tune?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 02:42 AM   #10
Driven By CM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [10.00]
Quote:

While it’s pretty cool, the water cooling system is totally unnecessary. Yes it helps, but there’s other threads about it, and it’s just not worth the cost.

Also, keep in mind the 493bhp is only possible WITH the water injection system. If the car detects no water, it reduces horsepower (likely to around CS levels, but I’m just guessing).

GTS/CS tune is only really worthwhile if you’re chasing a different power delivery curve, rather than power gains.

Warranty has expired for most F8X owners by now, so doubt many people care about that.

Long story short… Go the Dinan route if you want to play it safe and simple or get BM3/MHD if you want greater gains and customization.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 08:54 AM   #11
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
How would you describe the difference between the stage 0 and stage 1 BM3 tune?
I don’t know. Not using BM3.

I prefer the gts tune on track because it’s more linear than the stage 1. RPM will rarely drop to 4k rpm on track but i also like the midrange of the torque curve better on the gts tune. Basically, it’s about the shape of the power curve and I wasn’t looking to maximize peak power on track. After almost four years of tracking, I felt it was time to go for a decent power bump in 2019. Stage 1 pulls considerably harder than gts, especially at lower rpm, but around 5-5.5k rpm you can feel the car is starting to hit a power plateau. However, with a stage 1 tune, you don’t need to upshift early but you also don’t need to hold the gear until redline either. I tend to upshift at redline because I find the rpm lands at a good rpm for the next gear. You also have to respect the throttle a bit more with a stage 1 tune vs. a gts tune. I prefer the gts tune and I don’t always upload the stage 1 tune after a track event.
Appreciate 1
Sephrr287.00
      03-30-2024, 10:47 PM   #12
jonf49
Captain
Rep

More power down low might be nice, but in some conditions the stock xcp is spinning tires in 1st and 2nd.. so I want to be able to control usable power on the street. I am able to feather the throttle and control it now, but more might not be the case. What I’m really looking for is more of that 2nd gear tq feel but in 3rd and 4th… don’t want to feel like things plateau after shifting in third… I just love that 2nd gear pull! I want it to feel like it just keeps pulling :-)

Would it be ridiculous and is it possible to only have the tune take affect in 3rd gear and on?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 10:32 AM   #13
Sephrr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

With bm3 you can do torque reduction by gear
Appreciate 1
jonf49132.50