GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

11-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #1
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

Recommended Jump Starter?

Does anyone have a recommended jump starter? I realize that a battery tender would be a better option and that these batteries are about $2,000 to replace, but unfortunately I live in an apartment building that has a garage without any outlets. I want to get a jump starter just in case my car dies this winter while sitting. Thank you
      11-21-2017, 12:44 AM   #2
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
When my battery inexplicably decided to sleep, the BMW assistance came in w a large battery jump start pack and it started it pronto. It didn’t look anything special as in it was made to jump start only LifePO4. As a matter of fact there is no such thing as the specialized Lithium iron phosphate chargers.

When I looked at jump starters, they all sucked and all offered hundreds or thousands of mysterious Amps with tiny small gauge clamps... one review favoured car rover over Noco.

Your battery will not die while sitting unless you are parking your car outside for very long periods in subzero weather, that is not good for those LifePO4 batteries.

And here’s BMWs note on the topic:
Quote:
A power pack, charger or second battery (e.g. jump-start) can be used if it is necessary to apply voltage at the battery terminals to reactivate the disconnect switch according to the table above.

Last edited by aboulfad; 11-21-2017 at 12:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
When my battery inexplicably decided to sleep, the BMW assistance came in w a large battery jump start pack and it started it pronto. It didn’t look anything special as in it was made to jump start only LifePO4. As a matter of fact there is no such thing as the specialized Lithium iron phosphate chargers.

When I looked at jump starters, they all sucked and all offered hundreds or thousands of mysterious Amps with tiny small gauge clamps... one review favoured car rover over Noco.

Your battery will not die while sitting unless you are parking your car outside for very long periods in subzero weather, that is not good for those LifePO4 batteries.

And here’s BMWs note on the topic:
Quote:
A power pack, charger or second battery (e.g. jump-start) can be used if it is necessary to apply voltage at the battery terminals to reactivate the disconnect switch according to the table above.
Thank you for the very helpful info! Still would like someone to give me a recommendation on a starter that they bought and liked rather than me just picking a random one on Amazon and end up blowing my car up haha
      11-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #4
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Anyone?
      12-07-2017, 08:14 PM   #5
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Bump
      12-07-2017, 09:51 PM   #6
Zermatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Beware, most portable battery jump starters explicitly warn (small print) against jump starting lithium ion phosphate batteries (eg F80).

I've searched and haven't found one that does. I contacted two that lacked a warning msg. Both replied with a definite NO.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 09:38 PM   #7
jnthn
SLUSHIE
Australia
Rep
Drives: f80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2017 BMW f80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zermatt View Post
Beware, most portable battery jump starters explicitly warn (small print) against jump starting lithium ion phosphate batteries (eg F80).

I've searched and haven't found one that does. I contacted two that lacked a warning msg. Both replied with a definite NO.
Really? My car was jump started the other day.

Does it reduce the battery's lifespan? Because it does work.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 09:47 PM   #8
Zermatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

The reason why using a portable jump start battery pack to "jump start" a vehicle with LiPo4 battery is due to its risk of a "thermal runaway". Normal sealed batteries from my understanding can also experience thermal runaways but not nearly as much. Why, I'm not entirely sure.

The F80 manual makes no mention of using a portable battery for jump starting. It only references using another vehicle to jump start in typical fashion.

So it seems the only warning against using these portable battery jump starters is by the manufacturers themselves.

One thing to keep in mind for those who are considering buying these portable jump starters is the storage temperature. Be sure to keep to the temp readings in the fine print. A portable battery charger with an internal LiFePO4 battery are safer especially how hot cars can get in the summer. From what I've read, Lithium-ion/Li-Po batteries go into thermal runaway at ~140ºF whereas LiFePO4 are safe until ~420ºF.

I've delved into this subject because Im installing various electronics that I want running while the car is off. So Ive been looking at these portable car jump starters as a easy and economical solution: drawing power constantly through an isolated voltage regulator (to clean up the inherit dirty power from them) and charge it when the car is running. To reduce the charging time, I looked at the charging power and selected one that charges at 2A as opposed to the the more common 1A rate.
Appreciate 1
psuwcc112443.50
      12-09-2017, 10:37 PM   #9
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zermatt View Post

Very interesting, very good info. Anyone know one that works with a lithium ion battery?
      12-11-2017, 04:15 AM   #10
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
There is no such thing as a jump start booster for LifePO4 batteries. Why folks do not read amazes me Read my above post #2, and the included BMW note taken from BMWs ISTA document on our LifePO4 batteries.

Notes regarding Lithium batteries AND Lithium Ion Battery

Our batteries have quite a bit of protection, and if for any reason mentioned in above ISTA documents the battery switch disconnects, then either a battery pack, charger or second car will wake it up.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 11:30 AM   #11
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
There is no such thing as a jump start booster for LifePO4 batteries. Why folks do not read amazes me Read my above post #2, and the included BMW note taken from BMWs ISTA document on our LifePO4 batteries.

Notes regarding Lithium batteries AND Lithium Ion Battery

Our batteries have quite a bit of protection, and if for any reason mentioned in above ISTA documents the battery switch disconnects, then either a battery pack, charger or second car will wake it up.
I read what you said, but their are a multitude of options that claim to be without ion safe on Amazon, so I was curious if people had any experience with any of them. You also mentioned battery pack in your post, I assumed that was a jumper.

NOCO Genius Boost HD GB70 2000 Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016UG6PWE..._7mbmAb2H8ZS5H
      12-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #12
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Jump starting and continuous charging are two separate things. You can jump your car with any battery pack, that's like saying no your car can't boost my dead car because your car does not have the right battery. See how stupid that sounds...

The reason you see those warning is so that idiots don't use the booster pack and leave it hooked up to charge the battery for a prolonged period.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      12-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #13
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
Jump starting and continuous charging are two separate things. You can jump your car with any battery pack, that's like saying no your car can't boost my dead car because your car does not have the right battery. See how stupid that sounds...

The reason you see those warning is so that idiots don't use the booster pack and leave it hooked up to charge the battery for a prolonged period.
Got it. The problem is that I live in an apartment building and do not have the ability to plug my car into a trickle charger since there are no outlets in the garage. I'm not going to drive the car during the winter so am worried about it dying. That is why I was looking for a good lithium battery jump starter in the event I need to get the car started.
      12-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #14
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
Got it. The problem is that I live in an apartment building and do not have the ability to plug my car into a trickle charger since there are no outlets in the garage. I'm not going to drive the car during the winter so am worried about it dying. That is why I was looking for a good lithium battery jump starter in the event I need to get the car started.
I hear ya, I had the same issue when living in a condo. I removed the battery from my summer car and bike at the time and plugged them into tenders in my suite. Kept the batteries fresh all winter.

In your case I would either pull the battery or buy a cheap-o booster pack. My recommendation would be to pull the battery and keep it fresh on a tender.

Last edited by 2kaccordocoupe; 12-12-2017 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      12-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #15
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Definitely don't feel like dealing with that haha. You can call AAA and they can jump start your car. I wonder if they have anything for lithium ion batteries
      12-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #16
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Definitely don't feel like dealing with that haha. You can call AAA and they can jump start your car. I wonder if they have anything for lithium ion batteries
AAA will boost your car using the same pack they just boosted the corolla up the road with.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #17
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
AAA will boost your car using the same pack they just boosted the corolla up the road with.
Pretty much what I was thinking which is why I wanted to get something that was actually approved for our cars. Did you take a look at the link I posted earlier in the thread that says it's approved for Lithium Ion Batteries?
      12-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #18
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Pretty much what I was thinking which is why I wanted to get something that was actually approved for our cars. Did you take a look at the link I posted earlier in the thread that says it's approved for Lithium Ion Batteries?
It's fancy branding and marketing, nothing more. Any run of the mill booster pack is sufficient.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #19
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's fancy branding and marketing, nothing more. Any run of the mill booster pack is sufficient.
What do you use?
      12-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #20
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
What do you use?
Nothing, I drive my car year round.
I left the condo and moved into a house 7+ years ago. I no longer have the bike either.

Noco makes a good product as I used the older G3500 product to maintain the battery on my previous e92 and bike.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      12-12-2017, 03:56 PM   #21
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What do you use?
Nothing, I drive my car year round.
I left the condo and moved into a house 7+ years ago. I no longer have the bike either.

Noco makes a good product as I used the older G3500 product to maintain the battery on my previous e92 and bike.
Thank you that is helpful info. How many amps should I get, they have a 400, 1000, 2000, and 4,000 option

Thank you
      12-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #22
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thank you that is helpful info. How many amps should I get, they have a 400, 1000, 2000, and 4,000 option

Thank you
No worries, 800-1000 cranking amps is sufficient to start your car. Anything more is overkill and not needed. Make sure you look for cranking amps and not battery amps.
Appreciate 0