Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

04-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #67
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Fvcking EPIC post! Congrats Falafel Combo!
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #68
N55
ⒸⒺⓇⓉⓘⒻⒾⒺⒹ✬ⓃⒾⓃⒿⒶ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 🚀

Garage List
Long read but it was worth it! Congrats!

Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #69
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
FP material! Epic indeed.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #70
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Great story. Many could relate to this including myself to some extent.

Goes to show that hard work does pay off and if you want it bad enough....it will come.

Alan
      04-23-2015, 01:58 PM   #71
AJM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 (in progress)

congrats on your new cars, enjoyed the read. hopefully you dealt with Basel on your M. guy is the man. hopefully you bring your car out to limerock
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #72
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

E46 was my first Beemer, straight in with an I6

Seeing those pics makes me realise how short the overhangs were and truly sporty looking these small sports salons were. I long for cars this size again.

Great thread FC.
      04-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #73
Whttiger25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i alpine white m sport

It took me a while to get on board with BMW but can't believe what I was missing.

Short story:

1999 - 2005: Black 1998 Honda Civic EX Coupe 5 speed

At 16 years old I got a job at a Pizza place and instantly knew I deserved a car. With a bit of help from my grandfather I found this lightly used car at the Honda dealer. I didn't even know how to drive a stick but I wanted it. Loved...loved the stick!

2005-2007: Black 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi 6 speed

How I miss this car....the moment I graduated college and got a job and saw $$$ for the first time (and wow how little money it turned out to be!) I wanted to kick my Honda to the curb. I found, again, a lightly used vehicle in Boulder Creek, CA, owned by a woman police dispatcher in her late 40s for $27,000. I knew that's who you wanted to buy a car like this from. I put down a $1000 deposit, found financing at 10% (yikes!), pulled together a check after it cleared brought cash for the rest and took Caltrain down to the Palo Alto station to pick her up. What a fun car that was! Tons of torque and power.

2007-2013: Beige 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

Well...turns out money doesn't grow on trees. I was living in San Francisco and saving very little money. I was getting 17mpg on premium gas, driving 50+ miles a day, and tires didn't seem to want to last long at all! Gas was getting near $5 a gallan and I decided to grow up. I ordered a new 2008 Ford Escape hybrid which was delivered in July 2007. So began my 6 years of "car dark ages", driving a very affordable, reliable (surprisingly), useful, and boring car.

2013-present: When I broke up with my gf last summer I was so torn up inside, one friday afternoon I convinced some coworkers of mine to head to the BMW dealership to "test drive something". Who would have thought they had such a good car salesman. I ended up in an Alpine white 328i M Sport. After my test drive, Koorosh, the salesman, said he wanted to drive the car and show what it could do. He took at 270 degree freeway onramp loop at full throttle and wow I had no idea a car could even do that. Walked away with a lease and have been enjoying this car like no other...

2016 - the distance future: I'm planning on replacing the 328i with a stripper M3 next year at the end of my current lease. Only options I plan on are metallic paint, adaptive suspension, and HK sound. Can't wait to get back into a manual.
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #74
Gac101177
M4-SAHD
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Awesome brother congrats.
#YellowCarClub
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 02:12 PM   #75
chucho1026
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 & e92 ///M3

That was an awesome write up. I have to do mine soon. I just got an almost new e92 m3. after owning a 95 e36 m3 for over 16 years, i must say that V8 makes me smile every time I hear it. I took a co-worker out to lunch today and when I punched it, he was like "damn what kind of engine you have, it sounds like a monster".. lol.. gotta love that response.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 02:25 PM   #76
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Cool story, thanks for sharing your experience!
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 02:29 PM   #77
Petr0lhead
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F20 M-Sport

Awesome read! Reminds me of my very own car history. I've gone through 7 cars in the past 8 years and always thought 'I'm gonna keep this one for longer...' But then there's always something more appealling
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 02:40 PM   #78
nks_bb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90M ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
After driving a Kia Sportage for an entire month (enterprise), and patiently waiting for my f80 to arrive, SHE WAS FINALLY HERE!

It was being prepped at the dealership, getting detailed and being programmed with some of the BEST technologies BMW M engineers have ever stormed up! AND IT WAS ABOUT TO BE MINE!!!! Only a few short hours separated this new M3, from my warm and damp garage space at home!!!

A dream come true, if not too cliche!

You would expect a day like this to be perfect, right? I mean, you've waited so long! Worked so hard. Saved so much!!! All the stars should be aligned ... the sun shining ... the birds chirping ... you did all the work, and made all the payments. All you have to do now is stroll into the dealership, flip flops, sunglasses and all your coolness. Crack a few smug smiles and make a few jokes with the cute receptionist and just fire up the car, put her in first gear chirp the tires and just ride into the sunset, right?

Well ... let me tell you. This poor soul would have none of that! The day I picked up my car, I worked late, had a very stressful day, had to go pick up my brand new M3 in my very uncomfortable work clothes (dress shoes, shirt and tie ... UGH), was very stressed and very ... VERY LATE. I was returning the enterprise rental that day, and they normally close at 6pm. With rush hour traffic leaving work ... OH, DID I MENTION IT WAS RAINING TOO??? LIKE, TORRENTIAL-DOWN-POUR RAINING???? ... ... anyway, barely making it to the enterprise office a few minutes after 6pm, soaking wet, the poor counter girl (very sweet girl too BTW) must have taken sympathy on me. She opened the store back up, took my rental return and even offered to give me a ride to the dealership with her own personal car on her way home from work, and even helped me load my daughters big ole clunky car seat into her cars trunk. Man, there are still some really genuine folks out there! I was thinking of sending her some flowers the next day as a thank you, and then I got "THE STARE" from my wife. "Ok, nevermind. I'll just call her", I snapped back. Fine. FINE. FINE!!! GOOD! NIGHT!!!! You know how that goes ... we're in love.

DAMMIT, focus!!! Ok, so she's this really sweet girl and was asking me all these questions. Now I kind of felt bad for her at this point as she was complaining about how crappy corporate treats them, cutting benefits, taking away their company cars, low wages, and all that just sickening stuff. But she's SO EXCITED FOR ME! She melted my heart! She was like "Is it new? Have you driven any BMW's before? What color is it? Are you excited?!!!!!". Such a gem of a girl. I honestly was ashamed to tell her I was picking up an M3, and just told her it was a used 328i. I just couldn't. I felt at that point that life had given me so much more than her, and I just didn't want her to feel bad at all. And she was just soooo nice about everything!

Needless to say, she made my whole day so much better and without knowing it, made my M3 pickup that day possible! And if there was ANYTHING I could do about it, I was not about to endure that Kia Sportage for ONE MORE HOUR!

Attachment 1197079

Got time for one more post before work ...

SO! I'm at the dealership, wet, stressed (but feeling a lot better after my conversation with Vanessa on the way over). But still, EXHAUSTED after a long and memorably stressful day work, drained from the traffic, worried about enterprise closing up and leaving before I get there, leaving me stranded with that Kia for another few days. But alas, I made it. I was there. I got to the dealership, but was NOT AT ALL excited. At this point, I just wanted a warm meal, a dry towel and the TV remote. Not exactly how I expected this long awaited day would go. But such is life.

I'm lugging my daughters car seat, my pockets stuffed with all the junk I was hauling around in my rental (GPS, iPod connector, pens, EZ pass and some other random junk). I walk into the dealership at this point looking like a homeless business professional. I was a bit embarrassed for my CA, TBH. All I needed at this point to complete the look was a bag of rattling empty cans!!!

I wave Vanessa thank you and goodbye, and I muster up the courage to face my CA, disguised as a homeless man! I carried myself the best way I knew how to, I hold my shoulders up high, take a deep breath and leave my daughters car seat at the curb and walk into the dealership.

And the magic starts to flow. Little did I know, I had VIP front row seats, reserved in my name, at the best magic show in town!!! The receptionist glances at me and breaks a it's-your-surprise-birthday-today-but-I'm-NOT-SAYING-ANYTHING kind of smile, and waves me on to my CA. On my way there, I here a couple of other CA's chatting nearby, whispering "I think thats guy picking up the Yellow M3!!". Oh man, still not sure if this is this good or bad?

Anyway, on my way, I get a quick glimpse of my car in the delivery bay, and immediately snap a picture ...

But my CA, quickly whips me away to the side, and says they need a few more signatures! DOCNABBITTTT!!!! AGAIN!!???!!!!!! What a buzz kill dude!!! I'm trying to have a moment here!!!!

I go through all the last minute paperwork like a man scarfing down hotdogs at a contest, pay everything they required without asking as single question, and pretty sure I signed a few papers in their including my CA in my living will, and the dealership as a death beneficiary! Don't know, not important right now. My heart fluttering at his point, and I finally get to see her! MAN OH MAN OH MAN OOOH MAN! Was it ever worth the wait! I swear these cars should not be allowed to be photographed. THEY LOOK SO MUCH BETTER IN PERSON! I was not prepared for this at all!!! My car is the very first f80 M3 I have seen in person, and for the first time at delivery!!! WHAT A SHOCKINGLY-AWESOME SURPRISE THAT WAS!!!

I was ecstatic to say the very least! All my stress had instantaneously melted away, just like that. I was not tired at all (although I'm sure I looked like crap!). In my mind I'm jumping up and down on a trampoline, but I'm trying to not smile to big as not to make too much of a mockery of myself and look like a BIG IDIOT! But then ... THEY START THE CAR! And I freakin loose it! I almost wanted to cry!!! She's perfect!

Attachment 1197094

(separate post for emphasis) I'm thinking to myself, THIS IS NOT WHAT I REMEMBER THESE CARS SOUNDING LIKE. AT ALL!!! I check the exhaust tips just to make sure they're not messing with me and didn't put the performance exhaust on there or something due to my build delays, but no. It's stock! IT'S STOCK! And I love it! The CA looks back at me over his shoulder and asks me "do you want to hear it in sport mode?". I was like, he's messing with me, right? This is not sport mode? He says "no. Hang on, let me get that." And he proceeds to blip the throttle. And I swear I think I heard someone whisper into my ear "FALAFEL, THIS IS THE MOMENT YOUR LIFE CHANGES FOREVER"

That first blip of the throttle, on cold start and in sport mode just sounded fantastic! Like a bolt of lightning! And ever since that moment, that instant in time, I truly and most sincerely have felt guilty about ever complaining about this cars "sound" on these forums. I was wrong. Oh was I ever so wrong!

I fail to see how anyone could knock the sound this car makes as stock! It's astonishing. No, it's not a V8, and I hope you knew that before you purchase one. Because IT SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER! I know, subjective, V8, 'MERICA and all that. But sometimes, you feel like you learn something new about yourself, and might even surprise you. For me, it was learning the fact that somewhere deep down inside my genetic map, where those twirly DNA threads live, tucked away deep and in between those itty bitty strands, my protein is tramp-stamped "INLINE 6 FTMFW!!!!"

Attachment 1197096

And while I don't claim to have nmurray22 camera work (WHATS UP NICK!), this video, albeit not accurate, just gives you a glimpse ... a small taste of the noises you are promised to wake up to every morning when you own an f80/82 M car. Everyday. EVERY. BOOKING. DAY!!! It's not a bad place to be at all guys. Not one bit!

Oh man.. I had just 'decided' a few weeks back that I will keep my E90 M3. But hearing about your day and excitement picking up your F80... I think I want that feeling too...
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #79
Igs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 / 992 GT3

Congrats Falafel! Love the passion and the commentary. Would love to hear your feedback on how you feel actually driving the f80.
      04-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #80
sid21177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i AW/ 2013 128i AW

Garage List
2013 128i AW  [0.00]
2011 328i AW  [0.00]
enjoy your car
only comment - dakar yellow instead of austin yellow
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #81
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
.... No two ways around it however, this car turned out to be a dud. BMW's version of the appliance-car. BMW's first crack at an electric steering rack was light and sloppy, the xDrive suspension was good but very floaty (even with the optioned Dynamic Handling Package), the car was quiet and you could barely tell what was going on with the engine revs, it was VERY BIG for it's class, and the list goes on and on ...

....I fell in love with the looks, but for some reason was not able to make any sort of emotional connection with this car. It just felt empty on the inside. Not what I signed up for when I bought this expensive BMW.

This had to be a violent wake-up call for me.

True words. I felt the exact same way driving back from PCD with my brand new 13 335 M Sport. In fact I ended up parking it for the first month and driving my 2006 E60 530i which I preferred. Tried trading the lease for the first 6 months but decided to wait it out till the end. I'm pretty much in the moving on to a Mazda phase that you experienced though my "Mazda" will probably a Honda or Acura .
      04-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #82
KELVIN7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mercedes AMG C63S

Garage List
I really read the whole story, man, i mean really
BMW F30 335i M Performance Edition
BMW E92 335is
BMW E92 328i
Lancer Evolution X MR
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 03:45 PM   #83
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Glad you're loving the car dude
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #84
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
I truly and most sincerely have felt guilty about ever complaining about this cars "sound" on these forums. I was wrong. Oh was I ever so wrong!
This is my favorite part. I am very happy with how the car sounds, and the cold start is like a little bonus that I get every morning (although if it sounded like that all the time I might not like it as much).

Every single person who has been in my car absolutely loves the way it sounds, whether they know about ASD or not.
      04-23-2015, 04:10 PM   #85
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #86
UH_TX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///AMG C63

Congrats. Thanks for sharing the great story
///AMG 2009 P30 Calcite White C63 - V4 Eurocharged ******* 2012 Mini Countryman S JCW
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #87
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
great post, love the story! Congrats on the new car and your bmw dreams finally coming true!
      04-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #88
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
what a great post!! REALLY enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 1