BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

05-20-2018, 07:26 PM   #1
OzcarM3
Private
Rep
Drives: F80

2 piece brake rotors

Wondering if anyone is interested in a group buy of 2piece replacement rotors. There’s a couple of options now available.
1. Alcon have an option which i’ve Priced up from a US supplier.
2. The second option is from an Australian manufacturer called Brypar which you can google.

PM me if you require the prices I have so far.

Regards
Zak
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 05:18 AM   #2
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E46, E90, Crafter van

Well done Australian company - but most of their rotors are $1500 and up. Factory F8X are $1k, already aftermarket rotors for stock calipers around $1500. What's the advantage?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisplayer View Post
Well done Australian company - but most of their rotors are $1500 and up. Factory F8X are $1k, already aftermarket rotors for stock calipers around $1500. What's the advantage?
Two piece are better for racing / motorsport. Having a separate hat and disc allows for better heat dissipation. Also allows you to replace the disc and keep the same hat. There is no practical benefit for street driving. It does potentially look better!

Having said that, the oem one piece is more than satisfactory for motorsport as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #4
OzcarM3
Private
Rep
Drives: F80

Robbo is correct. If you’re not regular tracking you car, they are of no value.
2 piece rotors also aid in keeping heat away from wheel bearings.
They’re are more expensive to begin with but long term they may be cheaper due to only having to replace the rings and not the entire rotor.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 07:25 AM   #5
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E46, E90, Crafter van

Granted the race physics are there for these rotors. Is there a hierarchy of OEM to full race for brakes, or is it full of brand-allegiance? F80 steel, F80 steel +race pad, F80 Brembo/Stoptek/etc ???.....M4 GT4 setup?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
Pete.J
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT (F82)

Garage List
F8x M3 and M4 rotors are already 2-piece from factory, look closely at the image below, the disc ring is riveted to the cast aluminium hat. It's a different design to the usual aftermarket 2-piece rotors that you're used to seeing, but it's 2-piece nevertheless.

Apart from the advantages mentioned above, one of the most beneficial reasons to run 2-piece rotors is their lighter weight, this will assist the dampers in keeping the tires in contact with the asphalt at all times. Because they don't need to lug as much weight when pushing or pulling the wheel+tyre package up and down to keep them stuck to the road surface (pushing or pulling will depend on whether the dampers are in their compression or rebound cycle, which will depend on the road surface of course). This is also the same reason people fit lightweight forged track wheels too!

Even the E82 135i and 1M, E9x M3, F3x 335i/340i, E89 Z4 sDrive35is... etc. came from factory with 2-piece rotors! BMW has been using 2-piece rotors from factory for a long time now on all high end models.

Happy motoring everyone!

07-06-2020, 07:38 AM   #7
Tempa
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Lotus Exige, 2014 M4

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

Wanted to ask the trackies here what rotors they use while keep the steel brake setup.

I have been to track twice (both at Winton) and have now warped two sets of M perf rotors.

1st time was with a half worn set of rotors and factory pads.

2nd time was a brand new set of rotors and a brand new set of endless mx72 brake fads.

Disappointed they warp so easy so now I'm looking for a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #8
Tempa
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner///M View Post
Not warped. Have uneven pad deposits. I have had the same problem on my 1M & F80.
Just put on a set of aggressive track pads for 200km and it will scrub off the deposits.
Are you saying both my stock pad and my endless mx72 pad made uneven uneven pad deposits?

I have heard the stock pad can do this but the endless mx72 (which is a very popular pad across a big range vechiles and my track friends) are not known to do this.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 06:29 PM   #9
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

If you go to Endless ME-20 on the front you most likely wont have the deposit build up issue. I have used this pad for many years as my daily drive / track pad. They havent squealed or chewed rotors in my instance. Mind you I only do approx 6 track events each year, but average 700kms a week as the daily.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 03:31 AM   #10
Tempa
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have MX72's. My OE pads did this on track (pic). I was getting vibes. I drove the MX72's around town for a few hundred without bedding in and they cleaned off the deposits from the crap OE pads. You must not bed in the pads if you want to clean the rotors first.

MX72's isn't a full track pad, rather a hybrid street/light track pad (700 degrees).

What do your rotors look like? Did you follow a bed-in process on the 2nd MX72/rotor set? DO you do a cool down lap before going to the pit-lane?

Rotors will not warp, it is 99% likely pad deposits.... see here too https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1659376
I didn't need to clean my rotors as it was brand new before going on track and it was also paired up with a brand new set of mx72s. I wasn't looking for a full track pad as the car only does occasionally tracking and I'm too lazy to swap pads out. I did the proper bedding process with the pads. Most of the sessions I did a cool down lap but some I didn't as I wanted to get a true reading of my tyre pressures.

I will take it to my mech soon to confirm but I am finding it hard to believe it's not the rotors as I said previously there are so many people I know who have and are using mx72 and don't have this deposit problem. The only other constant variable is the rotors unless the rotors are making / encouraging the pads to leave deposits?

Thanks for that thread, I shall go through it.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 02:30 AM   #11
Tempa
Private
Rep

Quote:
Here you can see the deposits on part of the rotor
Interesting. That is probably the part of the rotor that was underneath your calliper when you left your car in the pitts.

I do have a photo of part of my rotor which I realise is useless. I need to take a full look of the rotor and perhaps I can spot something similar to yours!
Appreciate 0